Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

The Draft
ThinMan
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 06:22 AM

His Imperial Thinness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
Offbase
Posted: Jun 5 2012, 08:18 AM

Living Free in the Granite State

Member No.: 2

I watched it and you'd think the Red Sox were 30th of 30 teams in draft success based on the commentary. But I don't know how you can evaluate a draft until the kids reach or don't reach AA. It's fun to follow, but I'll leave the evaluation to the scouts.

And then there's the new CBA which appears to have had a very large impact on the drafting strategy. What the Sox apparently did, according to some comments at Soxprospects, is go for lower ceiling, higher floor picks with the aim of staying under the first round "slot" money.

EDIT: Here's the glass half full evaluation of Marrero from Alex Speier.

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

tracey
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 09:28 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

QUOTE (Offbase @ Jun 5 2012, 08:18 AM)
I watched it and you'd think the Red Sox were 30th of 30 teams in draft success based on the commentary. But I don't know how you can evaluate a draft until the kids reach or don't reach AA. It's fun to follow, but I'll leave the evaluation to the scouts.

And then there's the new CBA which appears to have had a very large impact on the drafting strategy. What the Sox apparently did, according to some comments at Soxprospects, is go for lower ceiling, higher floor picks with the aim of staying under the first round "slot" money.

money is tightning.do any of these kids have mlb potential or trade value.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Offbase
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 11:42 AM

QUOTE (tracey @ Jun 6 2012, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (Offbase @ Jun 5 2012, 08:18 AM)
I watched it and you'd think the Red Sox were 30th of 30 teams in draft success based on the commentary.  But I don't know how you can evaluate a draft until the kids reach or don't reach AA.  It's fun to follow, but I'll leave the evaluation to the scouts.

And then there's the new CBA which appears to have had a very large impact on the drafting strategy.  What the Sox apparently did, according to some comments at Soxprospects, is go for lower ceiling, higher floor picks with the aim of staying under the first round "slot" money.

money is tightning.do any of these kids have mlb potential or trade value.

Aren't you the one who thinks we can't know that until they get to AA or AAA? I enjoy knowing their names before AA but that's about it, and any kind of evaluation now is for those who know more than we can ever find out. And even they are wrong most of the time.

--------------------

ThinMan
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 12:27 PM

His Imperial Thinness

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Offbase @ Jun 6 2012, 12:42 PM)
Aren't you the one who thinks we can't know that until they get to AA or AAA? I enjoy knowing their names before AA but that's about it, and any kind of evaluation now is for those who know more than we can ever find out. And even they are wrong most of the time.

I'm pretty sure Tracey considers them all question marks until they're actually in the majors. tongue.gif

The step from high A to AA is the biggest one these kids have to take, and Portland is where we start to see what they're actually capable of. Before that it's all potential.

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
tracey
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 02:57 PM

Ray of Sunshine

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Jun 6 2012, 12:27 PM)
I'm pretty sure Tracey considers them all question marks until they're actually in the majors. tongue.gif

The step from high A to AA is the biggest one these kids have to take, and Portland is where we start to see what they're actually capable of. Before that it's all potential.

My big issue in this draft was jamies winston who tx took in the 15 t round thank god,had he gone in the 5 or below my seminole would hae lost their starting qb 2 years from now,thin is correct you know nothing til we see the kids in the AA for a while.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Offbase
Posted: Jun 6 2012, 05:59 PM

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Jun 6 2012, 01:27 PM)

And the thing nobody can know before it happens is whether the kids still love the game when it becomes a job, and whether they'll comprehend what it takes to do the job well. They're all talented, and some in that 17-22 age range haven't grown enough to show what their ceiling is. But Nava is living proof that wanting it counts.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0952 seconds | Archive