InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Jon Lester, The ace of the staff?
ThinMan
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 12:56 PM

His Imperial Thinness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

An excellent article at Over the Monster on Jon Lester's walk rates and mechanics.

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
Offbase
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 05:08 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Apr 25 2012, 01:56 PM)
An excellent article at Over the Monster on Jon Lester's walk rates and mechanics.

I do get the sense watching him that something could be wrong physically. This link offers other possibilities which I very much prefer.

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

OhioSoxFan
Posted: Apr 25 2012, 09:47 PM

Common sense from the Midwest

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

I HOPE something's off, physically. Not that I mean I hope he's injured, but there needs to be a sound explanation for his current poor performance. If he's got a mechancial issue, or is favoring something, those are fixable. And that's a good thing.

If not, yikes! thumbsdown.gif

--------------------
thumbsup.gif
tracey
Posted: Apr 26 2012, 10:40 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (OhioSoxFan @ Apr 25 2012, 09:47 PM)
I HOPE something's off, physically. Not that I mean I hope he's injured, but there needs to be a sound explanation for his current poor performance. If he's got a mechancial issue, or is favoring something, those are fixable. And that's a good thing.

If not, yikes! thumbsdown.gif

+1

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Offbase
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 09:57 AM

Lester's recent history is not pretty.

Merloni (on The Baseball Show) thinks his problem is mental, that he's fine as long as things are going his way, but when the umpire doesn't give him a strike on a close pitch (or blows the call altogether), or when somebody reaches base, he's not limiting the damage.

We can all see his bad body language at times, so there may be something to this. And frankly, this should be an easier fix than something physical.

--------------------

Offbase
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Offbase @ Apr 28 2012, 10:57 AM)
Lester's recent history is not pretty.

Merloni (on The Baseball Show) thinks his problem is mental, that he's fine as long as things are going his way, but when the umpire doesn't give him a strike on a close pitch (or blows the call altogether), or when somebody reaches base, he's not limiting the damage.

We can all see his bad body language at times, so there may be something to this. And frankly, this should be an easier fix than something physical.

Thanks, Jon cheers.gif

--------------------

tracey
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 08:57 AM

Ray of Sunshine

a good outing obviously last night.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Offbase
Posted: Jun 11 2012, 10:51 AM

Lester is not an ace.

According to Mazz we don't have one, and it's hard to disagree at this point in the season. Beckett is, Ithink, back to being our best, but we don't have that guy who can win a 2-1 duel when that's what we need that night.

An ace would have gotten that third out yesterday in the 7th. That doesn't make Lester bad, it just makes him not an ace. Semantics perhaps but there are games when you need your starting pitcher to get it done. My definition of ace is the guy holds the lead in a 2-1 game.

--------------------

tracey
Posted: Jun 11 2012, 11:30 AM

Ray of Sunshine

QUOTE (Offbase @ Jun 11 2012, 10:51 AM)
Lester is not an ace.

According to Mazz we don't have one, and it's hard to disagree at this point in the season. Beckett is, Ithink, back to being our best, but we don't have that guy who can win a 2-1 duel when that's what we need that night.

An ace would have gotten that third out yesterday in the 7th. That doesn't make Lester bad, it just makes him not an ace. Semantics perhaps but there are games when you need your starting pitcher to get it done. My definition of ace is the guy holds the lead in a 2-1 game.

i think mazz iscorrect we dont have one,im not sure we have a 2 either as i said in the gamethread,it looks like we may have a collection of above average 3 types,good enough i dont know,the AL east teams all have warts,no superior team,what has me doubting is that the sox wont/dont have money to improve what needs to be improved,in fact i wonder if we are where wer ae at the deadline whether ben turns seller,particulary if attendance really declines.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Offbase
Posted: Jun 11 2012, 11:56 AM

QUOTE (tracey @ Jun 11 2012, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (Offbase @ Jun 11 2012, 10:51 AM)
Lester is not an ace.

According to Mazz we don't have one, and it's hard to disagree at this point in the season.  Beckett is, Ithink, back to being our best, but we don't have that guy who can win a 2-1 duel when that's what we need that night.

An ace would have gotten that third out yesterday in the 7th.  That doesn't make Lester bad, it just makes him not an ace.  Semantics perhaps but there are games when you need your starting pitcher to get it done.  My definition of ace is the guy holds the lead in a 2-1 game.

i think mazz iscorrect we dont have one,im not sure we have a 2 either as i said in the gamethread,it looks like we may have a collection of above average 3 types,good enough i dont know,the AL east teams all have warts,no superior team,what has me doubting is that the sox wont/dont have money to improve what needs to be improved,in fact i wonder if we are where wer ae at the deadline whether ben turns seller,particulary if attendance really declines.

Attendance has declined, but the tickets have been sold. People are not showing up, or they're coming late, leaving early.

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.5828 seconds | Archive