InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5]  ( Go to first unread post )

4/23, 8:10pm, Cupcakes @ Twinkies
macs3rd
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 10:26 PM

Southie Fangirl

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

One in a row!! cheers.gif

--------------------
As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places”
― Bart Giamatti
HomeHalf
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:05 AM

Member No.: 44

QUOTE (Palarch @ Apr 23 2012, 09:57 PM)
I wish Lester would snap out of it... I haven't seen good body lingo from him in years.... Personally I think Becket has something to do with it. Just me... Just ticked off

Personally, I think it's the pitching coach. It feels like we haven't had aces since the days of John Farrell.

I also blame a lot of the "running into outs" on Bobby V trying to make "his mark". But then, it's tempting for me to try to blame everything on Bobby V...

But a WIN sure does feel good! GO SOX!
tracey
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:23 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (macs3rd @ Apr 23 2012, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (Palarch @ Apr 23 2012, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Offbase @ Apr 23 2012, 09:07 PM)
Ok, but what is it that Beckett did wrong?  I've never, ever seen negative body language from Josh (EDIT: though I have seen some really bad pitches!). I've never seen him react the way Lester does to a bad ball/strike call.

But Jon was told to follow Josh, so there may be something to what you're saying.  I'm just not pitching savy enough to understand what's going wrong.

Meanwhile, we can score some more runs and win this, can't we?

LET's GO RED SOX!!!

It's just me trying to get into the heads of this pitching staff. I'm convinced that it's the 'culture' of this staff, it's not a healthy one! It went south after the departure of John Farrell, and it was evidenced last September. No leaders,, all followers. I question the overall
Work ethic, and conditioning of this starting staff. Just my opinion.

I don't know how well the numbers back this up,but my feel last year was that the difference between that awful April and the dive in September it was the bats that carried us. We won mostly in spite of the pitching, between constant injuries and the starters going 6 innnings at best.
Missing John Farrell and the "addition" of jerkface Lackey also felt like big minuses.

im with macs here this team when successful was because of inane amounts of runs scored,pitching was by in large outside of kester and beckett pretty bad.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
HomeHalf
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Palarch @ Apr 23 2012, 10:19 PM)
QUOTE (Offbase @ Apr 23 2012, 09:07 PM)
Ok, but what is it that Beckett did wrong?  I've never, ever seen negative body language from Josh (EDIT: though I have seen some really bad pitches!). I've never seen him react the way Lester does to a bad ball/strike call.

But Jon was told to follow Josh, so there may be something to what you're saying.  I'm just not pitching savy enough to understand what's going wrong.

Meanwhile, we can score some more runs and win this, can't we?

LET's GO RED SOX!!!

It's just me trying to get into the heads of this pitching staff. I'm convinced that it's the 'culture' of this staff, it's not a healthy one! It went south after the departure of John Farrell, and it was evidenced last September. No leaders,, all followers. I question the overall
Work ethic, and conditioning of this starting staff. Just my opinion.

Sorry, Pal, missed this and I agree 100%.
rominer
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:14 AM

Trashed.

Member No.: 168

QUOTE (HomeHalf @ Apr 24 2012, 05:05 AM)
I also blame a lot of the "running into outs" on Bobby V trying to make "his mark". But then, it's tempting for me to try to blame everything on Bobby V...

The team has run into something like 475,000 outs over the past few years, long before Bobby Valentine came to town.

I don't think that the bad baserunning has anything at all to do with Bobby Valentine, except that it's one of those things that I thought he would have done more to correct.

--------------------
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
tracey
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:48 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (rominer @ Apr 24 2012, 11:14 AM)

The team has run into something like 475,000 outs over the past few years, long before Bobby Valentine came to town.

I don't think that the bad baserunning has anything at all to do with Bobby Valentine, except that it's one of those things that I thought he would have done more to correct.

agree with rom ,i thought valentine would correct the baserunning,in the end at the end of the next 2 weeks orsoit will be fair to figure out whether the sox actually have the pitching horses to be a playoff factor,the rest is accedemic.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
HomeHalf
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 02:43 PM

QUOTE (rominer @ Apr 24 2012, 12:14 PM)

I just see some wacky choices and Joe C. will say "he must be doing that on his own" which we sure did do a lot of preV. But now, on the interviews, the players will say that they got the sign to run in that situation. If there isn't a sign then I agree it's a player problem. If there's a sign, then I think the errors are on the manager.
rominer
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 03:31 PM

Trashed.

Member No.: 168

QUOTE (HomeHalf @ Apr 24 2012, 11:43 AM)

I just see some wacky choices and Joe C. will say "he must be doing that on his own" which we sure did do a lot of preV. But now, on the interviews, the players will say that they got the sign to run in that situation. If there isn't a sign then I agree it's a player problem. If there's a sign, then I think the errors are on the manager.

Maybe some of it is.

Something like yesterday, running into an out on a ground ball that was hit in front of Sweeney, is on the player.

Pedroia getting thrown out at second might have been a sign (and also a blown call by the ump) – but I don't think there was any mistake there. Two outs, two strikes on Ortiz. If you steal second, you aren't taking the bat out of his hands. They're still going to pitch to him at that point. If you're thrown out, then Ortiz gets to hit again the next inning in a situation (less than two strikes) that is far more conducive to success. It didn't work out – and it did. Ortiz singled to lead off the following inning, which set up the 2-run HR for Saltalamacchia.

The play that Ellsbury got injured on earlier in the year was a situation where he would have been running 10 times out of 10 when Francona was here. Full count, and even though it's less than two outs, with a guy who rarely strikes out at the plate the Sox pretty routinely sent the runner – especially when it's one of the guys who can steal the bag if there is a K. Bad result, but not one caused by bad managing.

There might be other instances where the baserunning mistakes came from the dugout, or from Jerry Royster picking up where Tim Bogar left off. But something like going on contact from third base, for example (I vaguely remember a really bad out on one of those, I think involving Punto), it's still on the player to read the ball and recognize an instance where they're going to be out by 30 feet at home but have plenty of time to put on the brakes and return to third.

--------------------
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (5) « First ... 3 4 [5] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0665 seconds | Archive