InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Julian Being Julian, Some love for our favorite reliever!
SoxNationGermany
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 05:52 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

I kind of like Taverez, but I'm a big Manny fan as well. I belive to have good team chemistry it takes all types. Lets not forget the goofyness of Millar and Pedro in the '03 & '04 seasons. Julian seems like a real gamer, a warrior, I just think he needs more consecutive innings to prove himself. I like the idea of both him and Snyder in the pen as I believe both are set for major upside potential soon, hopefully this season!!!

--------------------
With those who don't give a damn about baseball, I can only sympathize. I do not resent them. I am even willing to concede that many of them are physically clean, good to their mothers and in favor of world peace. But while the game is on, I can't think of anything to say to them. ~Art Hill
tracey
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 05:57 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (George @ Mar 18 2007, 08:32 PM)
Someone has to take double-headers. And we'll probably have Snyder on the roster as long relief anywat.

ARNT SNYDER AND TAVAREZ THE SAME GUY PITCHING WISE?

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
George
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 07:22 AM

Unregistered

Not hardly. You only need to look at BABIP and ground ball tendencies to see that.

Also Snyder, while he's good for multiple innings in any given outing, needs starter's rest between outings and is going to have to be brought along somewhat carefully because of his fragility, while at the same time Julian's the human embodiment of indestructability.

EDIT: So here's a thought

1: Snyder's been moved to the pen, and pitched a 1 inning outing, like a reliever, and was effective

2: Tavarez pitched 3 innings, like a piggyback starter being stretched out (think Papelbon here), and was effective.

That might mean nothing, but what it might mean is that , and because the FO is committed to having 8 major league caliber starters available to Boston to start games, that Snyder is no longer being considered as a possible starter, and that Tavarez is now suddenly being stretched out to take long innings and possibly spot start, where he wasn't before, to make up the numbers..

Whether that means a complete role switch (that Snyder's being considered as a possible closer in other words) I don't know, but that outing definitely looked like Tavarez getting his work in as a starter being stretched out.

We'll see what the future holds there.
tracey
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 08:30 AM

Ray of Sunshine

QUOTE (George @ Mar 19 2007, 07:22 AM)
Not hardly. You only need to look at BABIP and ground ball tendencies to see that.

Also Snyder, while he's good for multiple innings in any given outing, needs starter's rest between outings and is going to have to be brought along somewhat carefully because of his fragility, while at the same time Julian's the human embodiment of indestructability.

EDIT: So here's a thought

1: Snyder's been moved to the pen, and pitched a 1 inning outing, like a reliever, and was effective

2: Tavarez pitched 3 innings, like a piggyback starter being stretched out (think Papelbon here), and was effective.

That might mean nothing, but what it might mean is that , and because the FO is committed to having 8 major league caliber starters available to Boston to start games, that Snyder is no longer being considered as a possible starter, and that Tavarez is now suddenly being stretched out to take long innings and possibly spot start, where he wasn't before, to make up the numbers..

Whether that means a complete role switch (that Snyder's being considered as a possible closer in other words) I don't know, but that outing definitely looked like Tavarez getting his work in as a starter being stretched out.

We'll see what the future holds there.

i know i sound like im beating this one to death butwe all agree that the sox have great starting depth which translates to a strong bullpen which is great but there still is no closer although i mstarting to believ that theos dream of piniero is where there is starting to head.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
George
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 08:41 AM

Unregistered

If Pineiro came into ST as the presumptive closer, IMHO he's done a lot throughout this spring to prove why he deserves a shot.

With Timlin out, Donnelly's services are badly needed as a setup man. Without a real setup man the closer is put under far too much pressure and eventually falls apart. Like Paps did in September. We really need a stable setup man, almost more than a stable closer, because the purpose of a setup man is to protect the closer and make sure he's not placed under excessive pressure. I think Donnelly's a shoo-in for that role on this team.

I think gambling on Pineiro is one of the better moves we can make, at least internally, though I'd like to see Hansack get a few more innings this spring to see what he's got.
tracey
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 08:44 AM

Ray of Sunshine

QUOTE (George @ Mar 19 2007, 08:41 AM)
If Pineiro came into ST as the presumptive closer, IMHO he's done a lot throughout this spring to prove why he deserves a shot.

With Timlin out, Donnelly's services are badly needed as a setup man. Without a real setup man the closer is put under far too much pressure and eventually falls apart. Like Paps did in September.

I think gambling on Pineiro is one of the better moves we can make, at least internally, though I'd like to see Hansack get a few more innings this spring to see what he's got.

this week i get to see alot of the games and maybe i will have a better feel for whats really ther and can make a better imformed opinion than by glancing at numbers and opinions here,

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
George
Posted: Mar 19 2007, 08:48 AM

Unregistered

Kindly Ignore:
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0959 seconds | Archive