InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Red Sox at White Sox in ChiTown 8:10, September 27 : Empathy My Ass
macs3rd
  Posted: Sep 27 2010, 04:14 PM

Southie Fangirl

Group: Members
Member No.: 4

BOS @ CWS
Monday, Sep 27
8:10 PM E MLB.comCall it the Empathy Bowl, a four-game series featuring two teams that completely understand each other's position. Both the White Sox and Red Sox had legitimate postseason aspirations this season, an ambition thwarted by worthy foes in their own division. Boston is still mathematically alive for the American League Wild Card, but it needs to win out while New York goes winless over its final six games.
Both teams -- the Red Sox and White Sox -- have struggled against their opponent's division. Boston is just 14-15 against AL Central opponents this season, while Chicago is 14-17 against the AL East. And while the Red Sox have played to a 42-34 record on the road, the White Sox have played to a roughly similar 40-34 mark at home.

And that's where they'll stand on Monday, when they meet for the opener of a four-game series in Chicago. Boston will start AL Cy Young Award contender Clay Buchholz, who currently stands second in the AL ERA charts. Mark Buehrle, Chicago's starter, has been doggedly consistent, posting a 4.24 ERA in the first half and a 4.30 mark since the intermission.

If Buehrle has been reliable, Buchholz has been sublime. The 26-year-old right-hander went 10-4 with a 2.45 ERA before the All-Star break, and he's come back to go 6-3 with a 2.32 mark in his past 12 starts. Buchholz hasn't shown much of a home-road split either, posting a 7-4 record and a 2.20 ERA at home and a 9-3 record with a 2.57 mark on the road.

Buchholz has allowed more than one home run in just one start all season, and he's had more walks than strikeouts in just two of his past 12 starts. Buchholz started against the White Sox earlier this month, though, and took the loss.

Buehrle, meanwhile, has gone six starts without a victory. The veteran left-hander has completed at least six innings in nine of his past 10 starts, but he's also allowed at least four earned runs four times in his last six outings.

The White Sox have won four consecutive games, but they'll likely remember this as a season of extremes. Chicago went 25-5 to close out the first half and seize control of the AL Central, but it couldn't keep up that withering pace all season. The White Sox rose to 17 games over .500 and a 3 1/2-game lead in the division, but they've gone 6-12 since to fall out of contention.

Red Sox: Martinez getting it done at plate
Boston catcher Victor Martinez drove in a run against the Yankees on Sunday night and took over the Major League lead for RBIs by a catcher with 72. He leads Atlanta backstop Brian McCann by one. Martinez is tied with McCann with 19 homers, tops among big league catchers. The Boston veteran has hit safely in 11 consecutive games, batting .409 (18-for-44), with four home runs and 12 RBIs in that span. ... All 28 of Adrian Beltre's homers have come as a third baseman, tops among AL players at the position and second in the Majors behind Arizona's Mark Reynolds (32).

White Sox: Alexei a Silver Slugger?
Alexei Ramirez is threatening to go where no White Sox shortstop has gone before. Ramirez, who went 2-for-4 on Sunday, is batting .281 this season and making a case for the league's Silver Slugger Award. Ramirez leads all AL shortstops in batting average, is tied for the top spot in home runs (17) and ranks third in RBIs (66). His top competition, former Toronto shortstop Alex Gonzalez, was traded to the Braves, perhaps damaging his candidacy. ... Another Chicago veteran, center fielder Alex Rios, is nearing club records for his position. Rios ranks second all-time in home runs (21) and RBIs (86) for a Chicago center fielder, and he can overtake both marks with three homers and nine RBIs.

Worth noting
The White Sox went 43-38 on the road this year, the fourth-best record in the league. ... The Red Sox enter Monday with 109 home runs on the road this season, tops among all Major League teams. Boston is also 34-25 on the road since May 22, which is the top record in the Majors over that span. ... The Sox lead the Majors with 84 extra-base hits in Sept

--------------------
“As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places”
― Bart Giamatti
My Webpage

expat pete: " teetering between outrage and ecstasy!"
ThinMan
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 04:21 PM

His Imperial Thinness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Thanks Macs! thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
ThinMan
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 04:40 PM

His Imperial Thinness

Member No.: 3

Lineups, get your lineups...

RED SOX (86-69)
Scutaro 2B
McDonald RF
Martinez C
Beltre 3B
Ortiz DH
Lowell 1B
Lowrie SS
Hall LF
Kalish CF

Pitching: RHP Clay Buchholz (16-7, 2.39)

WHITE SOX (83-72)
Pierre LF
Vizquel 2B
Rios CF
Konerko 1B
Ramirez DH
Pierzynski C
Quentin RF
Ramirez SS
Morel 3B

Pitching: LHP Mark Buehrle (12-12, 4.27)

Game time: 8:10 p.m.

TV/Radio: NESN/WEEI

State of the Sox: The Red Sox have won three of their last four games and eight of the last 13. They start the day seven games out of first and 6.5 behind in the wild card. The tragic number is one for the division and two for the postseason.

Notes: Buchholz is second in the AL in ERA. ... The White Sox have won four in a row after losing eight in a row. They have lost 12 of their last 19. ... The Sox have won eight of 11 on the road. ... Victor Martinez has an 11-game hit streak, going 18 of 45 in that stretch with 12 RBIs. ... Bill Hall has hit in seven straight with five RBIs. ... The Sox lead the AL with 1,148 strikeouts.

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
Offbase
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 06:49 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Member No.: 2

It isn't over so we might as well win!

GO RED SOX!!!

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

HomeHalf
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:17 PM

Member No.: 44

Nice start for those RED Sox! 100 RBIs for Papi!
HomeHalf
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:35 PM

Booing Manny. Likely deserved. (2 RBIs!?!)
macs3rd
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:40 PM

Southie Fangirl

QUOTE (HomeHalf @ Sep 27 2010, 08:35 PM)
Booing Manny. Likely deserved. (2 RBIs!?!)

awww You fixed it!~ I was going to asking if boping is common in public in Chicago. Guess I can't.

Scutaro doubles biggrin.gif

--------------------
“As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places”
― Bart Giamatti
My Webpage

macs3rd
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:43 PM

Southie Fangirl

3-0 Right Sox
sac fly Victor
Beltre singles

--------------------
― Bart Giamatti
My Webpage

HomeHalf
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:44 PM

QUOTE (macs3rd @ Sep 27 2010, 08:40 PM)
awww You fixed it!~ I was going to asking if boping is common in public in Chicago. Guess I can't.

Scutaro doubles biggrin.gif

Sorry Macs. You can say it anyway - I'd put it back but I can't remember what it said! cheers.gif
macs3rd
Posted: Sep 27 2010, 07:53 PM

Southie Fangirl

QUOTE (HomeHalf @ Sep 27 2010, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (macs3rd @ Sep 27 2010, 08:40 PM)
awww  You fixed it!~  I was going to asking if boping is common in public in Chicago.  Guess I can't.

Scutaro doubles  biggrin.gif

Sorry Macs. You can say it anyway - I'd put it back but I can't remember what it said! cheers.gif

Manny was getting boped rolleyes.gif

3 Wrong Sox on, walk and a single

--------------------
― Bart Giamatti
My Webpage

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0731 seconds | Archive