InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ralph Houk, RIP
Offbase
Posted: Jul 21 2010, 11:26 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Ralh Houk passes away at age 90.

In 1966, with the Yankees in last place, Houk returned as manager and held the job through mostly lean seasons until 1973, when, stung by fans booing, he resigned. The new owner, George Steinbrenner, tried unsuccessfully to retain Houk, promising to acquire the talent to win again.

This is all tied in with my disenchantment with the team of my birth town and younger years. Houk had the sense to get out of town and not go back.

Ralph,
I followed your NY years in the sports section and the at the toilet. I wish you'd had more success in Boston, but you remain a class act in my baseball memory. cheers.gif

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

Sox Sweep Again
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 01:43 AM

From the Mountain Zone.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 161

QUOTE (Offbase @ Jul 21 2010, 10:26 PM)

In 1966, with the Yankees in last place, Houk returned as manager and held the job through mostly lean seasons until 1973, when, stung by fans booing, he resigned. The new owner, George Steinbrenner, tried unsuccessfully to retain Houk, promising to acquire the talent to win again.

This is all tied in with my disenchantment with the team of my birth town and younger years. Houk had the sense to get out of town and not go back.

Ralph,
I followed your NY years in the sports section and the at the toilet. I wish you'd had more success in Boston, but you remain a class act in my baseball memory. cheers.gif

Houk replaced Zimmer and in my memory (I was born in 1966 and started following the Sox in 1977) I'll remember him as "The Major".

--------------------
Ready for a winning streak...
meanjean80
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 07:48 AM

Executive Chef at the Moose Melt Cafe

Group: Members
Member No.: 246

QUOTE (Offbase @ Jul 21 2010, 11:26 PM)

Ralph,

Loved Houk as a manager...thought he did the best he could with some seriously mediocre teams and front office turmoil. He was a class act.

One thing I always like was that he looked like he was having fun. Always.

--------------------
My calendar year: baseball season, Christmas, and the countdown to spring training.
tracey
Posted: Jul 22 2010, 08:21 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

houk had some really bad teams to workwith,but mymemories of him was he was pretty good gamemgr.R.i.P ralph cheers.gif

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1299 seconds | Archive