InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (16) « First ... 14 15 [16]  ( Go to first unread post )

World Series: Phillies at Rays, Discussion; who are you with?
Offbase
Posted: Oct 30 2008, 07:34 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (rominer @ Oct 30 2008, 04:06 PM)
The cameras are where they are. Fox just doesn't know when to cut to which camera, or which camera angles are best for any given replay.

I am almost certain, for example, that Fox had the camera in place to be able to show the replay of Eric Hinske's check swing from the 3rd baseline. I'd say it's better than even odds that they had the camera in place to show it from above. But they chose to show one replay from the same angle we had already seen. Then a second replay from their ground level gimmick-cam. But didn't think to show either of the angles that could potentially give us an idea of whether or not the umpire made the correct call.

I guess I can't let it go, because that call (especially having seen some questionable plate umpiring in the final innings play a role in MY team's elimination from the postseason) really took away some of my enjoyment in seeing the Phillies win (which I wanted) and the Rays lose (which I wanted even more). Show me a replay that shows me something, and I can either be indignant or at peace.

But Fox NEVER does that. They never show the right angle on check swings. On a close tag play, they'll keep showing an angle that is ambiguous over and over, as if the picture is magically going to change. Maybe they don't have a definitive angle sometimes BUT AT LEAST THEY COULD TRY. The same angle that tells us nothing isn't going to stop telling us nothing if they play it 100 times. Half the time, they'll focus on the exact wrong thing. You have a botched double play where the SS/2B loses the ball in the transfer from the glove, and they'll analyze over and over whether he touched second base instead of whether or not he had control of the ball. Do they even pay attention to the game?

I really, truly hate Fox's baseball coverage. It just doesn't seem like they have baseball people working on the technical side of things. I could understand that if they were new to baseball, but they've been doing this 1996. Now might not be a bad time for them to finally get a clue.

Perhaps they have a contract with the umpires that prohibits them from showing embarrassing replays. confused.gif

At least it's easier for me to believe that kind of contract is in place than to believe the level of incompetence you describe exists.

But my favorite replay of the series was that play by Utley and the angle doesn't matter. That's when the Rays were beaten.

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

rominer
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 02:00 PM

Trashed.

Group: Members
Member No.: 168

QUOTE (Offbase @ Oct 30 2008, 05:34 PM)
Perhaps they have a contract with the umpires that prohibits them from showing embarrassing replays.  confused.gif

At least it's easier for me to believe that kind of contract is in place than to believe the level of incompetence you describe exists.

But sometimes a lot of times, in fact showing the correct replay angle makes the umpires look good. It happens all the time on NESN and other broadcasts I'm yelling at the ump, and next thing you know you see that, yes, Varitek missed the tag, or the first baseman did keep his foot on the bag, or whatever else it is that got me so upset was actually the correct call.

Not on Fox, though. Good call, bad call, it doesn't matter. If it's a close call that on a two dimensional screen can only be definitively validated or disputed from certain angles, you can be sure that you won't get those angles.

At least, not until they have shown you the same angle that they already showed when the play was live another half dozen times, plus a 2-3 other useless angles. And if there's any new gimmick that they're trying out (like that worm's eye view cam, although they've been using that for awhile), you know you're going to see that one.

I fully believe that the level of incompetence that I describe exists. Fox just isn't good.

--------------------
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
Offbase
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 06:30 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (rominer @ Oct 31 2008, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Offbase @ Oct 30 2008, 05:34 PM)
Perhaps they have a contract with the umpires that prohibits them from showing embarrassing replays. confused.gif

But sometimes a lot of times, in fact showing the correct replay angle makes the umpires look good. It happens all the time on NESN and other broadcasts I'm yelling at the ump, and next thing you know you see that, yes, Varitek missed the tag, or the first baseman did keep his foot on the bag, or whatever else it is that got me so upset was actually the correct call.

Not on Fox, though. Good call, bad call, it doesn't matter. If it's a close call that on a two dimensional screen can only be definitively validated or disputed from certain angles, you can be sure that you won't get those angles.

At least, not until they have shown you the same angle that they already showed when the play was live another half dozen times, plus a 2-3 other useless angles. And if there's any new gimmick that they're trying out (like that worm's eye view cam, although they've been using that for awhile), you know you're going to see that one.

I fully believe that the level of incompetence that I describe exists. Fox just isn't good.

Oh all right, I give in - FOX is incredibly incompetent.
The example you gave of the 1,653 replays of Pedro dropping the Gerbil before they found one that showed the Gerbil charging and Pedro reacting as anyone would when charged by a three hundred pound gerbil is pretty damning.

But ... while I'll agree they're incompetent, I won't take back that they're also probably protecting the umpires and they're Yankee suck ups. tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

rominer
Posted: Oct 31 2008, 07:58 PM

Trashed.

Group: Members
Member No.: 168

QUOTE (Offbase @ Oct 31 2008, 04:30 PM)
But ... while I'll agree they're incompetent, I won't take back that they're also probably protecting the umpires and they're Yankee suck ups. tongue.gif

Probably and definitely. cheers.gif

--------------------
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Topic OptionsPages: (16) « First ... 14 15 [16] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.3214 seconds | Archive