Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (19) « First ... 17 18 [19]  ( Go to first unread post )

ALCS vs. the Tampa Bay Rays, Discussion.
ThinMan
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 08:54 AM

His Imperial Thinness

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (tracey @ Oct 20 2008, 09:51 AM)
my comments are being taken a step too far,if you look at the back of our line up this post season we were pretty impotant,tack on a pretty bad performance from leadoff folks,that makes it hard to keep the line moving, a little more hr type power might have been helpful in compensating,im not saying for example to sighn(god forbid) jason giambi,but a little more pop might makeup for the lack of production we have been gettinf from the back.It strikes me that the offense will need to be upgraded for next season,this division has very good pitching jays,rays and if the mfy get wang back and actually get cc than they too will have a solid rotation....likely.

Plugging the holes in the lineup would be a better solution. The White Sox have plenty of HR 'pop' in their lineup, as do Texas. How far did those teams advance in the playoffs, again? huh.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
tracey
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 09:02 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Oct 20 2008, 08:54 AM)
Plugging the holes in the lineup would be a better solution. The White Sox have plenty of HR 'pop' in their lineup, as do Texas. How far did those teams advance in the playoffs, again? huh.gif tongue.gif

Id be happy if the sox got a collection of 290 type hitters with mid teen hrs,but thats not what we have here at the moment,to be onest i dont know what we have at this point,my questions are Lowell,Lowrie,Ortiz,Ellsbury,the catching position.For a club thats based on moving the line thats a lot of questions,i thinks some of this will be answered from within and poitivelywhich ones i have no idea.I expect that next year this division is gonna be brutal,lots of improvement.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
soxfaninnyc
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 09:35 AM

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (tracey @ Oct 20 2008, 09:02 AM)
Id be happy if the sox got a collection of 290 type hitters with mid teen hrs,but thats not what we have here at the moment,to be onest i dont know what we have at this point,my questions are Lowell,Lowrie,Ortiz,Ellsbury,the catching position.For a club thats based on moving the line thats a lot of questions,i thinks some of this will be answered from within and poitivelywhich ones i have no idea.I expect that next year this division is gonna be brutal,lots of improvement.

Only 3 catchers in the AL had more HR than Varitek
Only 2 DH's in the AL had more HR than Ortiz
Only 4 3B in the AL had more HR than Lowell
Only 3 SS in the AL had a higher SLG % than Lowrie

I'm not sure I see a power outage from the parts of the lineup you are concerned about. I worry more about the OBP of Varitek, the health of Lowell and both for Big Papi. Papi down the stretch demonstrated that he has been reduced to hitting mistakes and walking, niether of which happens very much in the postseason.

Lowrie is 24 and a middle infielder with a respectable .739 OPS. He hits it to the gaps as evidenced by 25 doubles in 260 AB. Some of those doubles will turn into HR as he continues to mature. He'll never hit like at A-Rod, but he's above league average offensively.

Between Papi and Lowell, and the downgrade from Manny to Bay, I'm afraid we may need a corner infielder that hits.

--------------------
“Did you bring your glasses for the laser show?”
expat pete
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 09:45 AM

A Sox fan in Philly

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

More inexplicable than any "power outage" for the Sox is how the hell did the Rays turn the power on? Were the Sox starters in games 2-5 that bad? How the Hell did Upton do it? It's incredible. Upton? Bartlett? Aybar? Those dudes had some crazy monster shots in this series.

tracey
Posted: Oct 20 2008, 11:21 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (soxfaninnyc @ Oct 20 2008, 09:35 AM)
Only 3 catchers in the AL had more HR than Varitek
Only 2 DH's in the AL had more HR than Ortiz
Only 4 3B in the AL had more HR than Lowell
Only 3 SS in the AL had a higher SLG % than Lowrie

I'm not sure I see a power outage from the parts of the lineup you are concerned about. I worry more about the OBP of Varitek, the health of Lowell and both for Big Papi. Papi down the stretch demonstrated that he has been reduced to hitting mistakes and walking, niether of which happens very much in the postseason.

Lowrie is 24 and a middle infielder with a respectable .739 OPS. He hits it to the gaps as evidenced by 25 doubles in 260 AB. Some of those doubles will turn into HR as he continues to mature. He'll never hit like at A-Rod, but he's above league average offensively.

Between Papi and Lowell, and the downgrade from Manny to Bay, I'm afraid we may need a corner infielder that hits.

we probably need to start the after season thread,but which lowrie is real,the guy who started well or the slumping one at the end of the year,leadoff is also of concern as for the power outage" wewere sleightly above average if i recall 12th,but we are missing the heart of the order if Ortiz is actually on a down slope,by the way i was on sosh this am and some one said that ortizis actually 39?the birth certificate is false or something.One last issue is i think we may need a starting pitcher,emphasis think

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (19) « First ... 17 18 [19] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0733 seconds | Archive