Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Patriots In-Season Thread, Damn, they keep on winning.
ghostofdouggriffin
Posted: Aug 7 2008, 01:43 PM

Board Bouncer. No MFY allowed.

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I know it's only preseason, but tonight the Northeastern Flying Elvii return to action against the Ratbirds of Bawlmer.

Tonight starts some interesting things to watch, and Mike Reiss spelled them out well in his article today. Hoping to see LaMont Jordan get some time tonight (FEAR THE TURTLE!), really looking forward to seeing Jerod Mayo.

Tonight begins a journey that doesn't end until February.

--------------------
Pride is what separates excellence from mediocrity

macs3rd
Posted: Aug 7 2008, 05:58 PM

Southie Fangirl

Member No.: 4

biggrin.gif

--------------------
As I grew up, I knew that as a building (Fenway Park) was on the level of Mount Olympus, the Pyramid at Giza, the nation's capitol, the czar's Winter Palace, and the Louvre — except, of course, that is better than all those inconsequential places”
― Bart Giamatti
Pepper03
Posted: Aug 8 2008, 09:33 AM

Member No.: 264

If Brady ever gets hurt this team wouldn't win a game.

Dreadful backup play-Cassel gone perhaps?

Jordan looked good, Mayo looked good.

Can't take too much from this scrimmage-except gotta keep Brady upright and healthy.
ghostofdouggriffin
Posted: Aug 8 2008, 10:58 AM

QUOTE (Pepper03 @ Aug 8 2008, 09:33 AM)

Can't take too much from this scrimmage-except gotta keep Brady upright and healthy.

Gutierrez looked okay, but I agree with you about Cassel. I don't care that Moss and Welker weren't playing, it's all about presence at this point. He has NONE, looked completely lost and out of synch. Considering that he's been in the system for 4 years now, that's completely unacceptable.

--------------------

tracey
Posted: Aug 8 2008, 04:15 PM

Ray of Sunshine

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (ghostofdouggriffin @ Aug 8 2008, 10:58 AM)

Gutierrez looked okay, but I agree with you about Cassel. I don't care that Moss and Welker weren't playing, it's all about presence at this point. He has NONE, looked completely lost and out of synch. Considering that he's been in the system for 4 years now, that's completely unacceptable.

I always thought cassell would develope,guess im wrong.I dont usually pay attention til 3rd game thats the one where you get real clues as to whats coming.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
Pepper03
Posted: Aug 8 2008, 05:21 PM

QUOTE (ghostofdouggriffin @ Aug 8 2008, 11:58 AM)

He sure did, plus I don't know if he made Chad Jackson look bad or if Chad Jackson IS bad. confused.gif

I agree though it's hard to tell much from these "games".

I do know that my enthusiasm is back-and after the "Abomination in Arizona" I felt like I could never watch another game.

Offbase
Posted: Aug 8 2008, 06:06 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Pepper03 @ Aug 8 2008, 06:21 PM)

He sure did, plus I don't know if he made Chad Jackson look bad or if Chad Jackson IS bad. confused.gif

I do know that my enthusiasm is back-and after the "Abomination in Arizona" I felt like I could never watch another game.

I'm not over it. Maybe when baseball's done for the year ...

--------------------
The young Bill James rather famously wrote that he could not find any evidence that certain types of players could consistently hit better in the clutch – he still has not found that evidence. But unlike his younger self, he will not dismiss the idea of clutch hitting. He has been a consultant for the Red Sox for more than a decade, and he has watched David Ortiz deliver so many big hits in so many big moments, and he finds himself unwilling to deny that Big Papi does have an ability in those situations others don’t have.
Joe Posnanski
Pepper03
Posted: Aug 9 2008, 06:29 AM

I never thought I would get over it....and the the light went off and I loved football again.

Weird I know-I will never be really over it but I have accepted it and moved on-they lost the biggest game ever but in the end if I was forced to trade winning last year and perfection but giving up 2001-the first one-I keep 2001. The Pats have been on a great run and most of the time the breaks went their way. Last year, they still went their way-except for the last two minutes. They were outplayed in the trenches and still almost pulled it off-and if a guy doesn't catch a ball on his helmet they probably do. It crushed me and I thought I could never watch another game-but time heals all wounds I guess.

The way I look at it I have survived as a fan the two worst losses possible-losing a perfect season with less than a minute left (and to Eli Manning to top it off) and the 1986 Mets/2003 Yankees (tied). I have also been privileged to root for teams that have won 3 SB's and 2 WS. I was able to put that in perspective.

Of course we are all different and all have different recovery rates.

I'll be here to talk football when you are ready. smile.gif
ghostofdouggriffin
Posted: Aug 9 2008, 08:50 AM

QUOTE (Pepper03 @ Aug 8 2008, 05:21 PM)

It didn't take me as long as I thought it would to bounce back from that. I'm way ready for the season, can't wait to watch Brady carve up the league.

--------------------

Offbase
Posted: Aug 9 2008, 09:50 AM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Pepper03 @ Aug 9 2008, 07:29 AM)
I never thought I would get over it....and the the light went off and I loved football again.

Weird I know-I will never be really over it but I have accepted it and moved on-they lost the biggest game ever but in the end if I was forced to trade winning last year and perfection but giving up 2001-the first one-I keep 2001.  The Pats have been on a great run and most of the time the breaks went their way.  Last year, they still went their way-except for the last two minutes.  They were outplayed in the trenches and still almost pulled it off-and if a guy doesn't catch a ball on his helmet they probably do.  It crushed me and I thought I could never watch another game-but time heals all wounds I guess.

The way I look at it I have survived as a fan the two worst losses possible-losing a perfect season with less than a minute left (and to Eli Manning to top it off) and the 1986 Mets/2003 Yankees (tied).  I have also been privileged to root for teams that have won 3 SB's and 2 WS.  I was able to put that in perspective.

Of course we are all different and all have different recovery rates. 

I'll be here to talk football when you are ready.  smile.gif

Thanks for that answer. smile.gif

As a Red Sox fan, I'm very, very good at wait till next year and even though the way '03 ended was horribly wrong and the most painful of the painful season endings for me, by the next morning, I was counting the days till spring training the next day and hoping they'd resign Todd Walker to keep the whole team together for another shot.

The difference for me is that I'm not really a football fan. I had no interest at all until '01 when Brady replaced Bledsoe. The QB controversy was hard to avoid if you looked at the sports pages, and I figured something was up if the coach would stick with the *fifth round draft pick back up* over the *returning from injury star*. I wouldn't trade '01 either.

So maybe I'll pay a little attention on Sundays (Wes Welker is worth watching) when the season starts, and but I'm not going to allow myself any expectations.

--------------------
The young Bill James rather famously wrote that he could not find any evidence that certain types of players could consistently hit better in the clutch – he still has not found that evidence. But unlike his younger self, he will not dismiss the idea of clutch hitting. He has been a consultant for the Red Sox for more than a decade, and he has watched David Ortiz deliver so many big hits in so many big moments, and he finds himself unwilling to deny that Big Papi does have an ability in those situations others don’t have.
Joe Posnanski
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Topic OptionsPages: (11) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1179 seconds | Archive