Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (16) « First ... 14 15 [16]  ( Go to first unread post )

Dan Shaughnessy, Can we believe this clown has a job?
rominer
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 12:56 PM

Trashed.

Group: Members
Member No.: 168

When Shaughnessy writes a column like this it really drives home what a wasted talent he is.

I don't know if he's lazy, or gets off on pushing people's buttons with the crap that he slings around most of the time, if the "controversy/shit sells" order is coming from above, or if he just doesn't have much interest in sports anymore.

It does seem like it's usually only these stories that go beyond sports that hold his attention. Maybe he needs that old Rick Reilly back page of SI column that's about sports but not really about sports. Or maybe (as was the case with Reilly), that would start to become too saccharine. Sports might be a metaphor for life, but most of the time they're just sports.

Anyhow...I present the semi-annual (quarterly in some years) Shaughnessy column that's actually worth reading.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...orst_for_kraft/

--------------------
Check it out. An avatar.
____

Fine.
Offbase
Posted: Jul 27 2011, 02:28 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (rominer @ Jul 27 2011, 01:56 PM)
When Shaughnessy writes a column like this it really drives home what a wasted talent he is.

I don't know if he's lazy, or gets off on pushing people's buttons with the crap that he slings around most of the time, if the "controversy/shit sells" order is coming from above, or if he just doesn't have much interest in sports anymore.

It does seem like it's usually only these stories that go beyond sports that hold his attention. Maybe he needs that old Rick Reilly back page of SI column that's about sports but not really about sports. Or maybe (as was the case with Reilly), that would start to become too saccharine. Sports might be a metaphor for life, but most of the time they're just sports.

Anyhow...I present the semi-annual (quarterly in some years) Shaughnessy column that's actually worth reading.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...orst_for_kraft/

It got a little dusty in here at the end.

Maybe CHB is metaphor for sports - the elite talent who can't manage to win over the fans, the tall, hard throwing pitcher who can't find the plate and drills too many batters.

--------------------
Don't worry about a thing,'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.
The Jamaican and The Hawaiian

tracey
Posted: Jul 28 2011, 10:48 AM

Ray of Sunshine

Group: Members
Member No.: 31

id remind you chb is not a reporter,he writes columns he is suppose to provoke,and provoke though....he does like him or not.

--------------------
FUCK THE YANKEES
ThinMan
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 04:36 PM

His Imperial Thinness

Member No.: 3

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
Offbase
Posted: Jan 20 2012, 06:15 PM

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Jan 20 2012, 04:36 PM)
Rebutting Shaughnessy

I read the headline and the byline and I wasn't buying (clicking).

Personally, I like the idea that this year's team will have to compete on the field if they want to accomplish anything, rather that play half-assed baseball because they think they're a 100 win team to start the season. If I were Henry, that is exactly the the message I'd want to send - I'm paying you plenty, now go out and fucking earn it!

--------------------

ThinMan
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 10:50 AM

His Imperial Thinness

Member No.: 3

--------------------
"I always say I'd rather see 92, 93, 91 to the glove than 105 everywhere else."—Juan Nieves
Offbase
Posted: Feb 27 2012, 01:06 PM

QUOTE (ThinMan @ Feb 27 2012, 10:50 AM)
He’s BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

The team will be playing a game on Thursday. A "B" game that precedes the two exhibition games against Boston college kids that precede the Grapefruit League ST schedule will be more interesting than anything CHB has to say.

--------------------

Offbase
Posted: May 12 2012, 12:22 PM

Will I be banned if I confess I became a Shaughnessy fan this morning?

I had The Baseball Show on and they're discussing all the conflicting and multi source information released by Red Sox management, coaches, and players. Neumier is going off on how wonderful the Patriots organization is because it speaks with one voice, Belichick's, and he wants that to be the model. Amid the cries of baseball isn't football, CHB says, fine, improve the communications but don't make Belichick the model because there isn't one player down there who would dare speak out. "It's communism down there".

rofl.gif appl.gif

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (16) « First ... 14 15 [16] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1162 seconds | Archive