InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Uponthemonster. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (15) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Who will climb? Who will fall?
Trotsky
Posted: Mar 4 2008, 03:46 PM

Snowball!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (dragonsox @ Mar 4 2008, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (Trotsky @ Mar 3 2008, 07:30 PM)
Welcome Dragonsox.
And a special welcome to the mL thread. 
I'm actually unfamiliar with Ryan Colvin.  Do you have any links on him.  I can't find him on the Soxprospects site.

This is another kid to keep an eye on, Michael Almanzar:  http://soxprospects.com/players/almanzar-michael.htm
Hasn't yet to swing at a professional pitch, so it's obvious hard to seperate the hype from the reality... but the FO thinks a TON of him... to the tune of a 1.5 million signing bonus.  17 year old.  HUGE kid, plays SS.  Due to his size and lack of speed, he'll probably move over to 3rd base.

Trotsky,

Here is Ryan Colvin's link from SoxProspects http://www.soxprospects.com/players/colvin-ryan.htm. He was drafted out of H.S. school after only pitching for one year. He was a DNF and signed after one year at Juco. Coming into this year he only had 3 years of pitching experience but put on considerable muscle over the winter which should only add MPH to his fastball. He also refined his mechanics in the off season which has given him more life on his fastball and bite on his slider and curve ball.

Fantastic. Thanks so much DS. Appreciate any new prospects to keep an eye on.
I like his K/BB ratio, and if what you're saying is correct (no reason to doubt you) then I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him. It looks like he might start the season in Greenville.
Cool.

I know Aaron Bates is already pretty well known, but he's someone else that could either drop off the face of the earth, or make it to several Top 100 Prospect lists after '08.
He beat the snot out of the ball in high A, and while some of it was park affected, his road OPS was barely a drop below his home OPS in Lancaster.
He struggled a bit when he moved to Portland (the jump from A to AA is supposed to be the most challenging), but he was also battling some nagging injuries, and was killed by a BABIP of less than .240.
If he can put up good numbers (.850ish) in Portland, and hold his excellent K/BB ratio, he'll leapfrog lots of other players. If he hits below .800 after two months, I think he'll start tumbling rapidly off the lists, as the shine from his season in high A will wear off and be dismissed as park affected.

--------------------
Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 14 2008, 02:54 AM

Moonlighting News Bot

Member No.: 373

My thoughts on the 2009 expected arrival date prospects in the order I think their stock will rise the most:

Bowden

He's sooo young, 21 and already has a half year at AA. He dominated Lancaster, a rare accomplishment. After promotion to Portland, his assignment was to work on his change up which he did succcessfully and it is now rated major league average.

Has excellent command of a 94 mph fastball with good movement rated as a + pitch. Expect that speed to increase slightly as his body matures. Body type says innings horse and he's on schedule to be able to pitch 200+ in 2009. Heavy offseason workouts added 15 pounds of muscle to his frame and speaks well of his work ethic.

This years assignment is to regain his curve which he all but abandoned in favor of his change up. It's a 12-6 curve that causes a high GB%. Since it was previously rated as a + pitch, I expect that to happen quickly.

If you follow his GB/FO ratio and his K/9 rate you will know when he's got it all together.

Note: he does also have a slider which is rated as a - pitch but, who knows what the next step is. Either way, he'd be the pitcher I'd put $$ on to be the #5 in 2009.

Hagadone

Power lefty, drafted as a college closer. This will be his first full year and he'll be used as a starter to give him innings and regular work. Every scouting report says poised and advanced. Somehow gained 5 MPH on his fastball between the draft and Lowell, scary.

Needs work on his secondary pitches but his slider is rated ML average and his CU is rated -.

Power lefty in the pen ? Who could use one of those.

Masterson

Everybody knows about his dominant sinker, it's a + pitch. With a little better command, could be ++. Has a ML average slider.

On the downside, so far, he hasn't been able to master the CU as assigned, prompting Farrell to comment that right now he profiles as a reliever. That, in spite of the fact that he's on schedule to pitch 200+ innings in 2009.

I see him as a versatile power righty in the Sox pen, all the way from ROOGY to long relief and spot starts.

Carter

Athletic hitting machine. He's strong, has a fast bat and perfect upper plane batting mechanics. Also has excellent plate discipline so, he should hit for both power and BA.

Major downside, poor 1B defense with a weak arm (think Dick Stewart). He's being tried out in LF where his limited range would be acceptable. If he succeeds, he might be patrollling LF for the Sox next season *ahem, cough cough*. If he fails that, expect to see him at DH in another uniform.

Lowrie

He's already risen so he doesn't have much ground to gain. Good bat capable of 800-825 OPS with average defense.

At most sites, I've seen the following statement get a negative reaction from the Lowrie followers but, I see him as a super utility player.

I think he'll be Cora's replacement next year and Cora will be a minor league instructor. His tools say he should be able to play average defense at five positions, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS & LF. He should be able to get at least 400 AB a year in that role considering the ages of the players he would be backing up. I believe we will see him moved around a lot at Pawtucket this year to get him used to the role. Additionally, he's a 2008 insurance policy for the major league team.

--------------------

The smallest writing on the sign: "Also, the bridge is out ahead".
Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 14 2008, 08:13 PM

Moonlighting News Bot

If you are into first hand reports from posters, this link to SoxProspects will be having a lot of coverage starting now. It's the minor league spring training thread and the games started yesterday. There's a few great posts there already, particularly one on Bowden by Cem21 and one by TheGoldenGreek33 both of whom are knowledgeable posters IMO.

http://redsoxprospects57174.yuku.com/topic/2534?page=1

--------------------

Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 15 2008, 09:26 PM

Moonlighting News Bot

Two of the lines from a post by SoxProspects (the owner, Mike Andrews)

-Argenis Diaz is still turning heads at every turn. His defense is at an elite MLB level right now. Three different players said he was the best fielder they ever saw. And now he's hitting well n ML camp to folow up on an impressive winter and MLB ST.
-Mark Wagner is the other player impressing big time this spring. He's a hard worker, and all reports have raved about his defense.

--------------------

Offbase
Posted: Mar 15 2008, 09:44 PM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Free Agent Blogger @ Mar 15 2008, 10:26 PM)
Two of the lines from a post by SoxProspects (the owner, Mike Andrews)

-Argenis Diaz is still turning heads at every turn. His defense is at an elite MLB level right now. Three different players said he was the best fielder they ever saw. And now he's hitting well n ML camp to folow up on an impressive winter and MLB ST.
-Mark Wagner is the other player impressing big time this spring. He's a hard worker, and all reports have raved about his defense.

Thanks, FAB - it's fun to know who to look for.

One of the things that I like about our FO is that they value defense (however they measure it. rolleyes.gif )

--------------------
The young Bill James rather famously wrote that he could not find any evidence that certain types of players could consistently hit better in the clutch – he still has not found that evidence. But unlike his younger self, he will not dismiss the idea of clutch hitting. He has been a consultant for the Red Sox for more than a decade, and he has watched David Ortiz deliver so many big hits in so many big moments, and he finds himself unwilling to deny that Big Papi does have an ability in those situations others don’t have.
Joe Posnanski
Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 16 2008, 12:35 AM

Moonlighting News Bot

In Diaz case, he's so advanced defensively that the Sox had to put him on the 40 man roster before the rule 5 draft in his first year. That's a VERY rare move because it doesn't indicate potential, it indicates now. His defense is majoe league roster spot ready now.

Presently I picture Pokey Reese and I'm hoping for Ozzie Smith. I've seen conflicting reports on his speed so, I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, I don't have his sprint time since he isn't in McKamey's book. I'm looking foreward to the update to Diaz' page at SoxProspects.com when SoxProspects returns from spring training.

--------------------

Offbase
Posted: Mar 16 2008, 08:23 AM

Living Free in the Granite State

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Free Agent Blogger @ Mar 16 2008, 01:35 AM)
In Diaz case, he's so advanced defensively that the Sox had to put him on the 40 man roster before the rule 5 draft in his first year. That's a VERY rare move because it doesn't indicate potential, it indicates now. His defense is majoe league roster spot ready now.

Presently I picture Pokey Reese and I'm hoping for Ozzie Smith. I've seen conflicting reports on his speed so, I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, I don't have his sprint time since he isn't in McKamey's book. I'm looking foreward to the update to Diaz' page at SoxProspects.com when SoxProspects returns from spring training.

Do you know where he'll start the season?
If he plays for the Sea Dogs, I'll have a chance to catch him - and we should get some good scouting reports from Old Faithful. smile.gif

--------------------
The young Bill James rather famously wrote that he could not find any evidence that certain types of players could consistently hit better in the clutch – he still has not found that evidence. But unlike his younger self, he will not dismiss the idea of clutch hitting. He has been a consultant for the Red Sox for more than a decade, and he has watched David Ortiz deliver so many big hits in so many big moments, and he finds himself unwilling to deny that Big Papi does have an ability in those situations others don’t have.
Joe Posnanski
Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 16 2008, 10:56 PM

Moonlighting News Bot

They haven't decided yet, Lancaster or Portland. The decision might be more of a decision about Iggy Suarez' future. I hope Portland because I'll see more live reports than Lancaster. The Lancaster effect won't hurt him though because they don't project him to be a power hitter. They're hoping for BA & plate discipline.

--------------------

Free Agent Blogger
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 06:12 PM

Moonlighting News Bot

Odds are we're getting back Jose Capellan who we lost in the rule 5 draft. He was subsequently cut by the Giants but before the Sox got him back, Cincinnati claimed him off waivers. Since he was a rule 5, Cincinati also would have to keep him on their roster but it doesn't appear that they will.

Mr. Long Shot
For some reason, the Reds claimed 21-year-old pitcher Jose Capellan off waivers from the Giants last week - a curious move in that he is a Rule 5 player and must be kept on the 25-man roster if the Reds want to keep him.
At the time, manager Dusty Baker said, "He is a long shot to make it."
Capellan pitched in a minor-league game Sunday and was watched by former Reds pitcher Jack Billingham. His appraisal? "I'd say he is even a longer shot now."

It appears that Mr. Billingham has a good sense of humor, loved the quote. Jose is only 21 which made his selection rather unusual and unexpected.

--------------------

Old Faithful
Posted: Mar 18 2008, 09:02 PM

Sea Dogs Scout

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Free Agent Blogger @ Mar 18 2008, 06:12 PM)
Odds are we're getting back Jose Capellan who we lost in the rule 5 draft. He was subsequently cut by the Giants but before the Sox got him back, Cincinnati claimed him off waivers. Since he was a rule 5, Cincinati also would have to keep him on their roster but it doesn't appear that they will.

Mr. Long Shot
For some reason, the Reds claimed 21-year-old pitcher Jose Capellan off waivers from the Giants last week - a curious move in that he is a Rule 5 player and must be kept on the 25-man roster if the Reds want to keep him.
At the time, manager Dusty Baker said, "He is a long shot to make it."
Capellan pitched in a minor-league game Sunday and was watched by former Reds pitcher Jack Billingham. His appraisal? "I'd say he is even a longer shot now."

It appears that Mr. Billingham has a good sense of humor, loved the quote. Jose is only 21 which made his selection rather unusual and unexpected.

Reminds me of a Casey Stengel quote that was in Jim Bouton's book "Ball Four." Responding to his thoughts about a young ballplayer in the Mets camp, Casey said something to the effect of " he's only 21 years old right now and in 5 years, he has a great chance to be 26"... rofl.gif rofl.gif

--------------------
OK boys who will be the hero today ????
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Topic OptionsPages: (15) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1279 seconds | Archive