Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Stone's Garden Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Ideas for the tough yard

Add ReplyNew Topic

My Pond
stone
Posted: Dec 2 2005, 03:11 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

user posted image

I dug out a spring. 10 ft wide x 30 ft long, stocked with some fish I caught elsewhere with a hook and line plus minnows I caught with a bucket, also As many goldfish as I could pick up for $5.

I planted water lillies, iris, pickeral weed, and a bunch of other items too numerous to remember.

In the spring when everything is in bloom, the pond is spectacular!

I've posted pictures of flowers suitable for the pond margin on my wetland garden page

--------------------
website
stone
Posted: May 29 2006, 11:44 AM

Administrator

user posted image
Here's some wetland iris, perfect for the pond edge.

--------------------
website
wiseacre
Posted: Nov 16 2007, 03:36 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 175

Do you have any Yellow flag iris? They can be invasive if neglected but I do love the look of them.

Here's a pic from my garden
Yellow Flag Iris on this page

I'd be happy to send you some this coming spring if you remind me - my memory isn't as sharp as it once was smile.gif

--------------------
MY MOTTO: OOPS

WiseAcre Gardens
website
stone
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 08:12 AM

Administrator

I do have yellow flag iris. I'm trying to get them to grow in dry sand these days. They are very seedy, eventually I'll plant the right seeds that will thrive in desert conditions.

I dug my pond on a "hippy community", & the
property owner got greedy,
using the letter of the law to rob us.... SO, no more pics of my spring fed pond.

When I can, I'll create a new pond with a liner fed by rainwater from the roof.

Nice iris page, by the way.

--------------------
website
wiseacre
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 11:29 AM

Member No.: 175

QUOTE (stone @ Nov 19 2007, 08:12 AM)
I do have yellow flag iris. I'm trying to get them to grow in dry sand these days. They are very seedy, eventually I'll plant the right seeds that will thrive in desert conditions.

I dug my pond on a "hippy community", & the
property owner got greedy,
using the letter of the law to rob us.... SO, no more pics of my spring fed pond.

When I can, I'll create a new pond with a liner fed by rainwater from the roof.

Nice iris page, by the way.

Your story sounds all to familiar. I've saw it happen too many times in the past.

laugh.gif planting "aquatic" plants in dry soil. But the yellow flag does tolerate some dryness. I've seen them grow in clay that turned to brick in the middle of summer. Of course they didn't look all that good but they are survivers. And you're right they do produce way too much seed. I've got to pull new plants out or they'll take over the whole area.

--------------------
MY MOTTO: OOPS

WiseAcre Gardens
website
heavens
Posted: Jan 23 2011, 11:20 PM

Member No.: 477

In the spring it is a very good idea to do a pond clean out, removing leaves and old sedimentation that formed over the winter months. Do not stir the sedimentation that has settled at the bottom of the pond, this matter contains bad bacteria and other toxins that are toxic to Koi and Goldfish.

Artificial Grass Perth

--------------------
weonlycut
Posted: Dec 9 2012, 03:13 AM

Member No.: 510

Water lilies are the most exquisite and colourful plants in the water garden and can give months of pleasure during the summer. It is also important not to forget that they play an important part in a pond ecosystem by shading the pond surface during the height of the summer. Other deepwater plants will also add interest and colour to some of the deep pond areas. Water Hawthorn, which flowers in the spring and autumn, makes a perfect partner for lilies giving you months of foliage cover and a beautiful display.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options Add Reply Quick ReplyNew Topic

Due to robot spammers, you must join the forum & be logged-in before posting. I regret any inconvenience, & hope that I will be able to allow people to post with out being members of this forum again soon. Thanks, Stone

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1012 seconds | Archive