zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to KinKi Kids. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (51) « First ... 49 50 [51]  ( Go to first unread post )

Jang Dong-gun, Korean Megastar
Chingu
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 06:02 PM

First Love

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,737

After viewing the 2:12 clip for a second time, I had another observation (I posted this comment at your Wretch blog too):

And David Letterman was looking at her (not at HER, but in response to what she was saying about LW) like it was ridiculous, too. And the audience reaction was awkward. This also appeared to dampen whatever bit of confidence she was trying to muster. After less than one minute she just gave up and grinned stupidly. She knows it's a mess. I know it, too. I'm only holding out for JDG. Poor JDG. I could cry.

So in the end, it is an 1870's movie and not a futuristic movie

I think there has been some misunderstanding there between the media reports and the people reading them. I never thought it was futuristic, though I have heard that description used. But I knew if it was set in the old west it has to be more than 130 years ago at least. I always understood it to be "fantasy" like Lord of the Rings, which was neither future nor present, but just fantasy make-believe.

Kate's short talk of the movie is very troubling. But something to keep in mind: Kate is 25 years old and she's quite immature. She's very mouthy (talks a LOT about nothing), parties a lot and is surrounded by people who over-hype her for no reason--just because she is a pretty blonde (and actually, she's a brunette naturally, LOL). She has not made ANY successful movies. (Superman came the closest but it was really not that successful. Both Kate and the actor who played Superman were supposed to become mega stars after Superman and they did not. Kate just had a famous boyfriend so that kept her in the spotlight for a while). She has weight issues and in interviews she comes across as silly and lacking in poise. I think part of the reason her movies all had low success is lack of talent, and part is the projects her management chooses for her. If ANYONE ever meant for Laundry Warrior to be a serious movie, they chose the wrong girl. Her remark "typical movie" was inappropriate. I bet the movie studio was pissed about that.

Example...Christian Bale totally rocked as Batman. No one ever would have expected such a serious actor to take such a commercial role, but he totally rocked it. But Katie Holmes was HORRIBLE. For that reason no one thinks this Batman movie was great. Bale was great, but the film suffered greatly due to the incredibly poor performance of the leading lady. No matter how good JDG is in LW the movie will suffer because of Kate Bosworth. Mark my word on this.

I wonder if JDG would have taken the movie if he knew before he signed the contract that his leading lady would be a giggling 25 year old blonde American girl rather than the poised and talented Chinese actress, Zhang Ziyi. One has to wonder. And one has to wonder how not only the actress was replaced but the entire character was also re-written. They COULD have simply found another Chinese actress. There's no shortage of them. Instead they completely re-wrote the character (thus, changing the dynamics of the story) and hired Kate Bosworth. Frankly, I think they did it to create a wider market appeal, which really sucks. It plays into the notion that Americans won't go see a movie with two Asians in it. There HAS to be a blonde or people will be turned off.

Sigh. I'm thinking about this too much. Just really annoyed by it all because I can read the writing on the wall.

--------------------

Abundant Sunshine: Blogging About Whatever

http://www.abundantsunshine.blogspot.com/
BabyGina
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 06:38 PM

First Love

Member No.: 1,738

Hi Chingu and Sandra,

I just have a different opinion about what might have happened during that interview with David Lettermen. This is an excerpt from an article

She sits down, asks the people in her trailer — hovering, possibly to make sure she is not asked any questions they do not wish her to be asked — if they wouldn't mind leaving, begins chewing on a greasy chicken leg, and happily sails into discussing “Laundry Warrior,” the surrealistic western she's making here in New Zealand, even though she's been instructed not to discuss it — too early for publicity purposes, or something. But she's unstoppable. And she's not in fact much deranged at all.

You can read the whole article here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23814500/

I think the reason she felt awkward is because she knew that she blurped out something that she was not suppose to and was at a lost to know what to do next. And I do agree she seems to be discourage by the audiences response also. But as you can see from the above article she seems to be very happy about LW.

Also, DG has always been low key about his projects. So I do not think it was a sign that he regret taking part in it or think it was a bad project. I think actors should not talk about a movie or give out too much spoilers when they are not suppose to. Hence, the things that I have heard so far from Kate or DG are not new and has been available online since the shooting of the movie.

As for ZZY, I am with Sandra. I am so glad she is not in this movie as I do think she is the most over-rated actress and her personality is so bad that it is well known. I read reporters saying that she is rude and even heard that Andy Lau does not want to work with her again and he is like the nicest guy. I am not going to comment further what I think of her. But I think having Kate does open a bigger market in north america or Europe. As much as ZZY wants to believe, she does not have that much star power.
kimurafan
Posted: Mar 27 2008, 09:10 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

At least, someone here agree with me that Zhang Ziyi is overrated. I think the press made her more than what she is but if you look at the box office figures, she is not a draw either in the US. Look at Memoirs of a Geisha stuck at US$160 million which is no better than Jet Li's HERO. House of Flying Dagger was only US$90 million worldwide and she was supposed to be the draw for Western audiences.

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/gakinme&article_id=6284195

A bad film with even the best actor would not make it let alone Zhang Ziyi which stir up more hatred than anyone in Asia.

The press that glorifies her is trying to do a good turn for the movie industry to promote something Chinese but I agree, two Asians in a movie would not cut it in the Hollywood market. Since having JDG is good enough to guarantee the Asian market, they had to do something for the Caucasian market too.

That's why we have hybrid projects like Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li and Jackie Chan with that Transformer kid in there to guarantee American box office. Jet Li alone can guarantee US$150 million and now with Jackie, probably additional US$50 million. With the Transformer kid, you have the kids' market.

Laundry Warrior? Just JDG alone - unknown in the US. The Promise failed badly in the US because it's all Asian. That's why the sale is not on Kate nor JDG, but on the producer, Barrie Osbourne.

How often do you go to watch a movie with unknown stars or less than top notch stars just because a well known producer produced it?

--------------------
Chingu
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 02:27 AM

First Love

Okay, Sandra--I have found your photo. I had to find it with a Google search. The fact that BabyGina knew the name of the photo shoot and magazine was the biggest help. Once I found it it was still small though. So I have attempted to get it as big as I can without distorting the image.

You should be able to click on this thumbnail:

user posted image

--------------------

Chingu
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 06:35 PM

First Love

BYJ hold the biggest share in his management company and he was the founder of that company. For him to tell people that he has no control over anything is a little hard to believe for me. Who is getting credit for the success of his management company ? Who is the richest star in Korea?

Good point. You got me there.

And if that is really true, I am sorry but I do not like weak character and worse of all a character that never want to learn and grow.

I don't like weak character either. I did say from the start there are things I like about BYJ and things I don't. This is one of the "don'ts". I can't understand the stationary place he's gotten himself into. Wants to be a better actor, but won't work towards it. Wants to be more free as a person, but won't leave his gilded cage. Wants to be a normal person, but is so perfected that it is said he won't even rest his head against the seat in the car for worry of messing his hair. BYJ, get over yourself!

This reminds me of something...There was a set of pictures posted in the net of BYJ coming off a flight in the airport. In the photos he has a hat pulled over messy hair, hasn't shaved, has on no makeup, clothes look worn and casual. Actually, he looks amazing. Best photos I ever saw of him. Ever. But in the photos he is trying to hide his face, keeping his head ducked and using his hand to cover his face. WHY? He looked soooooooooo good. He's not a person I personally consider "sexy" but for the first time, when I saw those photos, I thought BYJ looked sexy. But the cameras were too close and he wasn't able to hide himself. In reality, he should show himself like that every day when he doesn't have to get trussed up for an event of some sort. People would see him in a different light, and would see him as a more down to earth person everyone can relate to. The fixation with looking perfect all the time is tiring.

For BYJ, it was mentioned in the rumour section that he likes to beat up his staff members and he is  a rather violent person. They said many of those that  worked with him had been beaten up by him so they are really afraid of him.  And also that he is difficult to get along with and many of the staff members resigned because of him (this part I am not certain).

I have to say the beating rumor made me laugh out loud. I can't see this at all. I can see him being difficult. This is actually not a wild rumor. It was pretty much verified by comments from the director of The Legend. They had a difficult relationship even though the two men respect each other. It was a long and difficult filming, in addition to long hours, extremely cold and rainy weather, shooting night and day, BYJ had several injuries and the director was also hospitalized at one point. I think it taxed everyone's reserves. On top of these unforseen elements you have two men often not on the same page artistically. However, he seemed to have gotten along brilliantly with the director of April Snow. Could be just that some personality types mix together better than others.

Regarding BYJ's difficult behavior--to whatever degree is it--there ARE verified facts about the good side of him. I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else of anything. It is undeniable that numerous people who have been around him over the years comment on how he looks out for other people, how he is almost always in the role of "elder brother" when dealing with staff and other colleagues. There are stories of BYJ getting angry that the staff wasn't served good food on set, or fi'm crew bathrooms weren't cleaned properly, things like that. And BYJ taking an attitude of "I'll get this straightened out". I just can't reconcile stories of beatings with the numerous accounts of his generous and chivalrous behavior behind the scenes. I don't think he's a perfect person, because no one is. But I just can't see any truth to the beatings rumor.

I haven't been familiar with BYJ for very long. Who knows, maybe I'll find him loathsome eventually.

But not JDG. Oh nooooooooo, never. love1.gif

And to lighten things up a bit, I'm wondering if you girls have ever seen these yawning photos of JDG? Sooooooooooooo adorable.

You can click on these thumbnails to enlarge them.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------

Chingu
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 06:51 PM

First Love

Since I was just putting some stuff into Photobucket, let me share with you all some of my favorite JDG pics. Maybe you have seen these already.

These are all clickable thumbnails. There are a few more I will post later.

Enjoy.

This one shows such a relaxed and elegant side.

user posted image

This is just foxy. As hell.

user posted image

His petulent chin is one of my favorite expressions. :)

user posted image

This whole series is so great. He was so tanned and healthy looking, with his hair pulled back. And a rare man who can look amazing in pink!

user posted image

This is from yet another amazing series. It's crazy how good-looking he is here. I really miss when his hair was longer and he used to wear it back in various ways.

user posted image

--------------------

kimurafan
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 10:47 PM

Administrator

Thank you, Chingu. I love seeing him with long hair and facial hair, and a skinny self. The long hair pulled back makes him very elegant and stylish. He has a very stylish nose and face to start off with.

You know, in the Promise, Chen Kai Ge really made him look awful when he was transported back to his mother. That hairdo was so bad - way too straight. I disliked that part the most and it puts me off from wanting him to be cast in a period movie if he has to have that type of hairstyle.

But pulling it up is nice!

I like his casual photos more than the posed ones too.

--------------------
Chingu
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 03:55 AM

First Love

Sandra, did you see that I found the photo you were looking for? Didn't know if you missed it or what. But maybe you had found it already and I was too late.

--------------------

kimurafan
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 07:35 AM

Administrator

Yes, Chingu. thank you for searching extensively for it. I saved it the first thing I saw your posts.

I am always impressed with how skinny at times he looks and that photo especially shows how versatile a physique he has. At times, he's a hunk, at times, very slim. faint.gif

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (51) « First ... 49 50 [51] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0300 seconds · Archive