zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to KinKi Kids. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (51) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Jang Dong-gun, Korean Megastar
kimurafan
Posted: Dec 13 2004, 09:55 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Article: December 1, 2004
Source:http://www.hotkorea.com.tw/KrNews/Index_News.asp?News=2632&Page=3

If You Were To Have Plastic Surgery, Who Would You Like To Look Like?

In a Korean Movie Internet Poll, to promote a TV series about plastic surgery, from Nov 10 to 26, 2928 internet users were surveyed. (1299 male/1629 female)

user posted image

Girls
Eyes - Kim Tae Hee 35% (563)
Nose - Han Ke Yin 韓佳仁 30% (482); Kim Tae Hee 17% (284)
Chest - Lee Hyo Lee 李孝利 33% (537); Kim Hye Su 金惠秀 20% (323)
Legs- Har Jyun Su 卞貞秀 35% (594)

user posted image
Guys
Eyes - Jang Dong Gun 35% (450)
Nose - Jang Dong Gun 37% (487); Won Bin 14% (176)
Most Desired Body Shape - Kwon Sang Woo 44% (573) without dispute first place; Bae Yong Jun 13% (173) second place.

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Dec 13 2004, 10:04 PM

Administrator

Article: December 6 , 2004
Source:http://www.hotkorea.com.tw/KrNews/Index_News.asp?News=2645&Page=2

Recently Jang Dong Gun has been secretly recording a love ballad. Could it be that he is planning to become a singer? It is speculated by the industry that he would use the song in his DVD photo album. Seeing some Koreans becoming popular in Japan, Jang Dong Gun who is one of the big four entertainers in Korea, may want to enter the market too.

The DVD would be available on Dec 20.

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 5 2005, 07:03 AM

Administrator

Ain't It Cool Picks Local Film `Tae Guk Gi' as Best of 2004

An influential American film gossip site picked ``Tae Guk Gi’’ as the best film of 2004 and included another Korean film, ``Silmido,’’ in its top 10 list for the year.
Harry Knowles, who runs the Web site Ain’t It Cool News (www.aintitcoolnews.com), gave ``Tae Guk Gi’’ the No. 1 spot on his list over such films as ``Before Sunset,’’ ``The Aviator’’ and ``House of Flying Daggers.’’

Calling the film a ``spectacle larger than any film made this year,’’ Knowles wrote on the site that ``The film will shake you to the core. The South Koreans are making brutally brilliant films.’’

Knowles chose ``Silmido’’ as the seventh best film of the year, and compared the film to ``The Dirty Dozen,’’ the classic American film, but ``only this is so much better.’’

Knowles also picked the Korean film, ``Old Boy,’’ as the second best movie of 2003.

Ain’t It Cool News is one of the most popular independently run sites for movie reviews, sneak previews and spoilers of upcoming movies.

sohjoo@koreatimes.co.kr

01-04-2005 21:41
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...21394711730.htm

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 7 2005, 02:26 PM

Administrator

Article: December 30, 2004
Source: http://ent.sina.com.cn/2004-12-30/0559614591.html

There is news that Feng Xiaogang, the director of A World Without Thieves has stopped progressing on the script of a movie called Evening Banquet, his first wuxia movie because he would work on a New Year movie called Aristocrats for 2005. That Evening Banquet movie would have the following stars: Gong Li, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Jang Dun Gun and Corey Yuen. This movie will be postponed to 2006 when all the actors would have time for the project.

Article:January 3, 2005
Source: http://news.sina.com.cn/o/2005-01-03/07254699417s.shtml
Here is the synopsis:

《夜宴》

看点:冯小刚第一部反映中国宫廷的文艺功夫片

和冯小刚以前搞笑、幽默的路线不同,《夜宴》取材于中国古代名画《韩熙载夜宴图》,讲述的是唐人韩熙载年轻时在京洛一带极负盛名,后因战乱逃到江南做官的故事。据悉,这个故事跟《哈姆雷特》装疯为父报仇一样,既有中国古代文化的特点,又有西方人熟悉的故事,结合在一起,就是中国的太子复仇记。此外,主创也有大变化,除“冯葛”组合外,新增加的人员全是在国际影坛上响当当的人物:武术指导袁和平,主演有金城武、张东健、巩俐。冯老师此次把张艺谋、陈凯歌、王家卫等人的“御用”演员一网打尽。
Evening banquet

This is Feng Xiaogang's first ancient wuxia movie to reflect Chinese palace life and the period of Han Xizai. During the Tang Dynasty Han Xizai's reputation spread through Bejing. Because of a tumultous war, he escaped to Jiang Nan (south) and this is the story about him then as an official. Accordingly, this story is similar to Hamlet seeking to revenge his father. It has the Chinese ancient cultural elements and the western outlook. Plus the cast is international. Action choreographer would be Corey Yuen Wo Ping, and in the lead are Takeshi Kaneshiro, Jang Dong Gun, Gong Li. Feng Xiaogang is now following the footsteps of Zhang Yimou, Chen Kaige and Wong Kar Wai by using top class actors.

--------------------
Mrs_Hwang
Posted: Jan 7 2005, 03:27 PM

Constant Day Dreamer

Member No.: 263

I am impressed, no, I am shocked about the Ain't It Cool site choosing so many Korean films in their Top Ten list. yikes.gif

And that's not because I don't think Korean films deserve such an accolade. Of course they deserve it! What shocks me is the fact an American site has choosen them. Maybe there is hope for America after all. tongue.gif

But what puzzles me about Hollywood these days is its lack of creativity and originality. Korean films are already being 're-made' in Hollywood for American audiences (of non-Asian background). I can understand this happening occasionally as it has been done in the past but it's the plethora of movies from Asia that are getting this re-hash treatment lately. What the hell is this all about? What's wrong with the originals? What's wrong with Tony Leung and Andy Lau in the original Infernal Affairs? It's sickening that that little Scientology creep, Tom Cruise, is going to star in the re-hash. Oh my God, give me a break! angry.gif

I would really love to see what re-hash they would make of Taegugki in the States. Where, on earth, would they set it? The American Civil War? laugh.gif boring.jpg

Having said that, I really must look on eBay to see if I can get a copy of this film. When it first came out, my Korean e-mail friends were telling me about people's reaction to Taegugki. By the end of the film, everybody in the audience was crying. That's pretty amazing.

--------------------
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Korea or bust!
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 7 2005, 04:07 PM

Administrator

Oh, you could get Taegugki from yesasia.com already. I just got mine yesterday and will watch it tonight.

Taegugki the movie was an adaptation of the book Brotherhood in War Series 2 by W.E. B. Griffin. My husband said the whole series is very well written.

One of these days, Asian movies would become more popular over the world. But what is important is that the filmmakers have to make their stand and refuse to sell remake rights.

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 8 2005, 06:00 PM

Administrator

I watched Taegukgi last night with my husband and we are totally impressed by it.

First of all, I was wrong. It's not an adaptation to the book I mentioned. So disregard it. W.E.B Griffin's book Brotherhood of War: The Captains is about a Korean intelligence family during the 60's. Still worth reading on its own but not as the blueprint for this movie.

On to this movie. The moment Jang Dong Gun came on, we were both like...wow, a Korean Chow Yun Fat ! So charismatic like Chow!!! Then when the first scene of war conscription came in, my husband kept shaking his head...and remarked...just like Vietnam. This was so real for him. During the Vietnam war, Vietnamese from age 16 onwards get systematically checked for ID's. If they were not studying, they get conscripted into the army. If they were 18, they were bound for the army without questions. They give you a helmet and a pair of boots and pushed you into the front line. I of course have the benefit of commentary of Vietnam beside me while the Korean movie was going on. Free dual soundtrack... rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this story is about two brothers who were conscripted and how they tried to survive during the Korean war years. The sound effects were so authentic, and the scenarios were so like Vietnam my husband thought the movie was extremely well made. Jang Dong Gun himself is a very good actor and you could see his dilemmas, one after the other. Won Bin, the younger brother, surprised me too as an actor. Didn't think he could be that good too. The script writer did a great job in giving them dilemmas and pressures and Jang's mission to keep his brother alive. No wonder why America want remake rights on this movie. (Perhaps they would do an American civil war scenario with the plot....it shows how refreshing Korean themes are and how lame American movies get... :blink: )

I won't disclose more of the story. If the Oscars choose HOFD as Best Foreign Film this year and not this one, they should be shot.

Jang won the best actor awards for the Blue Diamonds Film Awards for this film this year in Korea. Now I am really going to track down all his other movies.

Anyway, I am on to Korean history and culture big time and if anyone wants to know, or when I know enough of it, I'll post my understanding of the politics during this time. B)

Here are some screencaps.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cremedasie/a...m/ph//my_photos

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 18 2005, 12:05 AM

Administrator

A tale of two brothers ‘Taegukgi’

It is said that the history of Korean cinema can be divided into before “Shiri” and after “Shiri,” a testament to the significance of the 1999 blockbuster that opened an era of big-budget, high-grossing spectacles in Korea.

If Kang Je-gyu, the man behind “Shiri,” has his way, Korean cinema will be divided into before “Taegukgi” and after “Taegukgi” from now on. The hugely ambitious Korean War epic attracted 11.7 million moviegoers nationwide, a record for the Korean movie industry, writing the next chapter in the development of Korean cinema.

“Taegukgi” was breaking records even as it was in production. The film is the most expensive ever made in Korea with a colossal budget of nearly 15 billion won. Shooting took place in 18 locations with 25,000 extras and marvelous sets of the streets of Seoul and Pyongyang in 1950. The film will open on 430 screens around the nation, another record.

user posted image

If Kang wanted to show that Korean cinema could play like Hollywood with “Shiri,” he seems to want to show that it can sell like Hollywood with “Taegukgi.” Starring Jang Dong-gun and Won Bin, two key heartthrobs of the “Korean Wave” phenomenon, the film was also was on show in overseas theaters, including those in Japan and America to recoup its gigantic budget.

Like the Hollywood blockbusters “Titanic,” the film uses the bookends of the present to frame the story. An excavation team digs out the remains of what it believes to be Sgt. Lee Jin-seok, who is still alive as a 77-year-old grandfather. He wonders whether the remains are that of his older brother Lee Jin-tae.

The scene changes to Jong-no in Seoul on June 24, 1950 when Jin-tae (Jang Dong-gun) is a shoemaker, Jin-seok (Won Bin) is a student, and their mother makes noodles to support the family. When the Korean War breaks out, the family quickly flees, but Jin-tae and Jin-seok are forcibly conscripted into the army and sent to the front.

The ensuing battle scenes are bigger and better than anything ever before seen in Korean cinema. To a backdrop of ear-splitting explosions and thick artillery smoke, flesh goes flying and blood is splattered so vividly and graphically that the film almost takes us there. The sight of an American bomber crashing or the panorama of the Chinese army charging over a mountain is remarkable by any standards.

user posted image

Like the World War II epic “Saving Private Ryan,” “Taegukgi” delivers an unflinching depiction of the horrors of war from the perspective of the lowest soldier. The shroud over the Forgotten War is lifted to reveal its brutal violence in a way that is certain to make the film a milestone in Korean cinema.

While “Taegukgi” raises the standards, it also has its shortcomings. Like Steven Spielberg, Kang seems to be a boy at heart, and the emotions delivered by the film are boyish. While the film avoids both a simple-minded anti-communist message and a pandering pro-unification message, it seems to have no clear convictions other than action.

The tragedy of a fratricidal war and the rich metaphor of brotherhood are left alone for most of the film until the end. Potentially agonizing moments are never fully pursued to satisfaction. As for Jin-tae’s superhuman heroics, if they were not eye-popping, they would be comical. Perhaps the meaning of the film lies not in what it wants to say but in what it wants to be.

"Taegukgi” is too great to be called disappointing, yet too disappointing to be called great. Like “Shiri” five years ago, the significance of the film may not be in itself but in offering a direction for Korean cinema to follow for the next five years.

By Kim Jin

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00501130037.asp

--------------------
ryo
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 08:59 PM

Official Pop Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 283

QUOTE (kimurafan @ Dec 13 2004, 10:04 PM)
Article: December 6 , 2004
Source:http://www.hotkorea.com.tw/KrNews/Index_News.asp?News=2645&Page=2

Recently Jang Dong Gun has been secretly recording a love ballad. Could it be that he is planning to become a singer? It is speculated by the industry that he would use the song in his DVD photo album. Seeing some Koreans becoming popular in Japan, Jang Dong Gun who is one of the big four entertainers in Korea, may want to enter the market too.

The DVD would be available on Dec 20.

Actually he already made some albums years a go. And later on he focus on acting than sing. He just like to sing..and i'd love to hear him singing though rolleyes.gif

He even wrote one of the lyrics in his first album. It can check on JANGGA.
As for the news that he will release a ballad song, yes he will.
But too bad as it wasnt in the DVD of his photobook sad.gif
The single will be release separately.

--------------------
はじまりはいつも雨 「DB Band」
ryo
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 09:09 PM

Official Pop Addict

A Review
posted at Just Jang Dong Gun by angiesiow.

Tae Guk Gi: Brotherhood of War
Friday, January 14, 2005
Michael H. Kleinschrodt, The Times-Picayune
(STAR)(STAR)(STAR)

Starring: Jang Dong-Gun, Won Bin and Lee Eun-Joo. Director: Kang Je-Gyu. Language: In Korean with subtitles. Running time: 2 hours 20 minutes. Rating: R, for graphic violence and gore. Where: Chalmette.

Like "Saving Private Ryan" before it, "Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War" provides a compelling emotional core for its gritty exploration of the horrors of war.

Kang Je-Gyu's accomplished epic is South Korea's entry for consideration for an Oscar nomination as best foreign language film. The nominations will be announced Jan. 25. (For a look at China's Oscar candidate, see today's review of "House of Flying Daggers" on Page 11.)

"Tae Guk Gi," named after the Korean flag, is set during the Korean War. Lee Jin-tae (Jang Dong-Gun) is a hard-working shoemaker in a town near the 38th parallel. He's paying the college tuition for his bookish younger brother, Lee Jin-seok (Won Bin), and is engaged to the lovely and industrious Young-shin (Lee Eun-Joo).

Jin-tae's idyllic life is ruined when war breaks out. He and Jin-seok are drafted into the army and forced to fight communist rebels from the north. Jin-tae is overly protective of his Jin-seok, who once barely survived a serious illness. The elder brother makes it his mission to win a Medal of Honor that will allow him to send his sibling safely home.

But then Jin-tae discovers that he likes playing the hero, and an unappreciative Jin-seok figures out his brother's motives and chastises him for taking foolish risks.

Kang's scenes of battle are harrowing. Bodies burn and blood flows freely. Yet it's the brothers' story that makes the film so compelling. The crucible of war repeatedly tests the brothers' bonds, and there are a couple of shocking plot twists.

The movie is beautifully photographed, and the actors' understated performances prevent the occasionally soapy story from sinking into melodrama. There's also a raft of indelible supporting performances among the platoon's ranks, some providing welcome touches of humor.

"Tae Guk Gi," though it could stand to be tightened a bit, is a satisfying tale that holds its own against such Hollywood fare as "We Were Soldiers" and "Windtalkers."

--------------------
はじまりはいつも雨 「DB Band」
ryo
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 09:30 PM

Official Pop Addict

His recent visit to Japan (23 Dec 2004) for X-mas in Tokyo, also for his photo book promotion.

Source : www.planetworks.co.jp

--------------------
はじまりはいつも雨 「DB Band」
kimurafan
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 01:00 AM

Administrator

Oh my, he has long hair !!! faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif love1.gif love1.gif love1.gif love1.gif love1.gif

Thank you for the pix, ryo !!!

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Feb 6 2005, 12:40 AM

Administrator

Here is a Japanese produced photo book of the 4 stars in Korea. Bae Yong Jun, Jang Dong Gun, Won Bin and Lee Byung Hun ( I didn't know Lee Byung Hun could look good too...although I have no idea who he is really acting wise...)

user posted image

The photo album was called THE MAN and sold for 2700 Yen (US$26) and was selling since November 2003.

http://ent.tom.com/1306/1361/20041130-109682.html

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Feb 6 2005, 04:08 PM

Administrator

Article: December 2, 2004
Source: http://ent.163.com/ent/editor/star/041202/041202_348785.html

This article said that when Jang Dong Gun was receiving his Blue Diamond award, his looks changed drastically and people suspected that he had plastic surgery.

Actually he had been changing his image for the movie TYPHOON which will take 8 months and will be released at the end of 2005. Jang had to eat less and so lost 12 KG.

The movie will be filmed in the Korean Peninsula, Pusan, Thailand, Russia and it's about terrorist and pirate Jang Dong Gun trying to stop a war with a military general.

--------------------
kimurafan
Posted: Feb 6 2005, 05:45 PM

Administrator

Here is a short interview on TYPHOON with the director of the movie, KWAK Kyung-taek, Jang Dong Gun and LEE Jung-jae.

Article: November 2, 2004
Source:http://ent.163.com/ent/editor/movie/041102/041102_336909.html

I: What do you try to express in the movie Typhoon?

KWAK Kyung-taek: I want to show that when faced with a motherland that is splitting apart, the face off of two young persons and their understandings being different. I want to also try to try the technological approach on Korean films and reach the next level.

I: It was said that when the two actors accepted the movie, they haven't even looked at the script outline?

Jang Dong Gun: I know sort of the gist of it. The main reason why I accept this movie was because of the director Kwak Kyung-taek. I don't really worry about the story. It is not the paramount reason for accepting movie offers.

LEE Jung-jae: I actually haven't even read the first script. But when I got the invitation, everyone around me said, "Reply yes right away! Or you would make a mistake!" So just like the sound of typhoon sweeping across, I didn't think and agreed at once.

I: Jang Dong Gun seems to have lost a lot of weight!

Jang Dong Gun: The director asked me to lose weight. when I was making Promise in China, I started losing weight. After I returned to Korea, I concentrated on weight training for a month and lost 6 Kg. The director said it was still not enough and said 2 more Kg.

I: It was said that this movie received cooperation from the Korean navy?

KWAK Kyung-taek: Yes, we went through a month of applications and discussions and the navy agreed to let us use some personnel who have never been in public view before and to film in some areas that are restricted naval zones.

I: Jang Dong Gun is said to be playing the role of a pirate and a revenger?

KWAK Kyung-taek: In the movie he comes from North Korea and he was trying to enter South Korea but was refused. So he became revengeful. His father was a North Korean and has 8 brothers. Two of them were in South Korea.

OMG....a must see movie....a must buy movie !!!! faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif faint.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif love7.gif

--------------------
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (51) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0406 seconds · Archive