InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Beastmen Painting Diary, a quest for 1000 pts
One-Eye
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 10:33 AM

Bestigor

Group: Member
Member No.: 1,079

greetings brethren,
I have finally started painting my new beastmen army called the Tribe of Shifting Sands and figure it would be beneficial to keep you all in the loop. so far all i have done is a test scheme for my gors. My army theme is a strictly beastmen or beastmen variants tribe that lives in the desert (specifically Araby). More on my theme can be found in the Background section. Some things to look forward to seeing are my slight converted Beastlord, my Arabic Bestigor and my Exalted Daemon. So i best get to the point eh. I had a bit of trouble painting "golden" skin as i had misjudged the shades of colour (cursed GW paints!). I have not yet completed the silver metals as they are going to be inked with a chestnut/yellow ink as soon as i can get my hands on chestnut. I am also thinking of making all the "gutplates" a bronze colour. The skin on the gor shown here is a basecoat of Snakebite Leather, layered to Desert Yellow and then Bubonic Brown. As I said this gor is just a tester and I am sure I will rapidly improve once I get used to the colours. I am open to any suggestions as to how i could get a better golden brown skin tone.

user posted image
user posted image

Enjoy! One-Eye

--------------------
Possessed of a cruel cunning beyond his fellow beastmen, he is both tactically minded and a savage fighter. He is feared throughout the Drakwald and rightly so, known by many names he is best known as One-Eye.
snyggejygge
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 10:49 AM

Wonderboy of Khorne

Member No.: 1,074

The pic is quite dark, so itīs hard to make out any detail, but from what I can see, it looks great!

--------------------
user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Alfindeol
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 05:08 PM

Boom.

Member No.: 441

Indeed, a little more light would be nice... It looks nice, but it is really hard to tell.

--------------------
QUOTE (Daggoth)
Semantics is really all I have to live for.

Save a tree, Wipe your ass with a Wood Elf.

user posted image

Beasts Record
45-9-6
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 05:35 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 629

For a 'burned by the sun' look, you might actually experiment with using red/pink undertones on the highlight areas. I don't know if that's what you're going for, though.

And yes, lets get some more light on the subject so we can better evaluate your results! smile.gif

--------------------
If you liked it then you shoulda put some paint on it
sushicat69
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 10:25 PM

Ungor

Group: New Members
Member No.: 991

Looks really nice can't wait to see some lighter pics and the rest of your herd.

if your not sure of the color your trying to get I'd google for insperation. just get some pictures of various horses or other animals even stuffed animals till you find the color you want then experiment till you find it.

although I have used desert yellow mixed with a brown that produced a more of a chocolate yellow. I would suggest for "golden" brown using a plain brown rather than snakebite and a golden yellow rather than desert, might even add some white for highlight, I think that would probably get you more of a teddy bear "golden brown". Another quicker option might be to use desert yellow with a chestnut wash and a white highlight. For the middle east effect I'd try a drop of pink in the last few highlights or maybe even an olive or chestnut wash after the first layer or two.

me smile.gif
One-Eye
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 09:40 AM

Bestigor

hello! the latest update! today i painted another Gor after school with a different skin colour. i am undecided on which is better so i took some pictures. the skin on this gor is basecoat terracotta, layered with snakebite leather and then vomit brown. i did not put too much effort into this mini but i will most probably try and improve quality when i am decided on a scheme. as an aside does anybody know how to achieve the colour of the variant skin for gors in the BoC book that says it uses Snakebite? I am leaning towards the first colour scheme but tell me what you think looks better.

2nd Colour Back
2nd Test colour

enjoy! One-Eye

--------------------
Possessed of a cruel cunning beyond his fellow beastmen, he is both tactically minded and a savage fighter. He is feared throughout the Drakwald and rightly so, known by many names he is best known as One-Eye.
sexy beast
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 10:20 AM

Wrinklestiltskin

Member No.: 209

It's a nice miniature, but to me it looks more like a nurgle gor than a desert gor.
Personally I'd look at some pics of camels and try to translate that into a scheme.
Something like these sexy fellows.
user posted image
I think the skin tone is ok, but to get more of a desert look you could try lighter fur something like graveyard earth, kommando khaki, bleached bone. And a green loincloth convays, I dunno: trees, bushes, moisture. Maybe a reddish brown or white would work better.

It's just my two cents, use what you like dump the rest. wink.gif

--------------------
- Ignore the post above, the poster will change his mind in about 5 minutes time -

user posted image
One-Eye
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 12:22 PM

Bestigor

I see what you mean about the green and i will most probably change that to something more neutral. a camel skin tone is similar to what i was after but what i had really hoped for is something like what is shown below. if anyone could think of how to make that a colour scheme feel free to share.

user posted image

that would make an awesome gor variant... lion heads muahaha. i will probably attempt this colour for my centigors or some other such unit.

something else that i would be greatful for is if anyone knows a way to get an old-gold look or the sort of gold that is dull and could be used for weapons etc. cheers, One-Eye

--------------------
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 01:10 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 629

Look at those camels' toes!

--------------------
If you liked it then you shoulda put some paint on it
sexy beast
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 02:13 PM

Wrinklestiltskin

The manes would be something like:
Scorched brown - dark flesh - vermin brown - vomit brown

The rest:
Bestial brown mixed with bleached bone or skull white and maybe a drop of dark angels green to neutralise the orange tones of bestial brown.

Look at those camels' toes!

laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ignore the post above, the poster will change his mind in about 5 minutes time -

user posted image
faol
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 02:16 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 1,053

ninja.gif nice

--------------------
Vae Victus

I shall not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will allow it to pass over and through
me. And when the fear has passed I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
There will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Alfindeol
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 03:15 PM

Boom.

Member No.: 441

HAHAHAH! Camel Toe...

Those Lions would make a VERY cool beast variant model... just GS them nice manes... might consider loosing the horns too...

--------------------
QUOTE (Daggoth)
Semantics is really all I have to live for.

Save a tree, Wipe your ass with a Wood Elf.

user posted image

Beasts Record
45-9-6
One-Eye
Posted: Mar 18 2006, 08:45 AM

Bestigor

A new update but with no pictures this time. I have finally started making some progress with my first Beast Herd and i just finished converting my Beastlord. I also bought a Bray-Shaman from my local GW. The colouring for my Beastherd is a slightly altered version of the second gor shown. I am really pleased with how the models are turning out and cannot wait to paint some cool units like centigors etc. A bit OT but i had a game with my DE at my local GW against the new Dwarfs (unpainted... grr). It was only 500 pts and my force did reasonably well. We did not get to finish because he had to leave but it was looking fairly bleak for my elves. Learning points: Dwarf Organ Guns are lethal! Till next time... One-Eye

--------------------
One-Eye
Posted: Mar 21 2006, 10:45 AM

Bestigor

Hello all!
I am now half-way through my gors (6 done) and will hopefully post pics of the full herd on the weekend. i am just ordering some parts from the UK for some conversions i am planning. To fit with my theme i am ordering in a tonne of Tomb King shields for my gors, a tomb scorpion to be turned into a scarab beetle spawn and a Tomb King chariot! the idea is that the chariot will be pulled along by some flesh hounds with the regular beastmen crew in there. I will probably order in some huge khemrian weapon (most probably from the bone giant) for my exalted daemon. I converted my beastlord with a spare necron lord weapon i had lying around and it seems khemri-ish so it is fluffy. i have also bought a special metal shield for him so he looks extra cool. If you can remember my fluff they raid Nehekhara frequently so i figured i might take the theme thing up a notch. I am quite looking forward to trying to convert the bestigor models into tomb-guard style elites. My only trouble is trying to get a hold of khemri weapons. I might be stuck using Lizardmen spears i have lying around to make some sort of scythe or oriental halberd. hope i can get some pictures for you all asap and i will definitely post a picture of my bray shaman on the weekend. If anyone has any ideas on converting the bestigor to be khemrian i will gladly hear them.
cheers, One-Eye

--------------------
sexy beast
Posted: Mar 21 2006, 10:51 AM

Wrinklestiltskin

Gaming-wise you shouldn't put shields on gors. Shields look cool, but gors need two hand weapons.
Looks like you've got some cool stuff coming together.

--------------------

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Army Diaries | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0531 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring