Create your own social network with a free forum.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Simple Beastmen Painting Tutorial
HarleyXJGuy
Posted: Oct 9 2012, 12:02 AM

Hound

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,615

So I do not claim that what you are about to read is anything special.

I just thought someone might get some use out of it while at the same time giving me a chance to document my method for future reference. A lot of what I do is common sense and does not need to be written or a picture of it put up. Well to bad I am doing it anyhow. smile.gif

Ok first things first get your parts together and clean up any mold lines. Normally I am very OCD about this step but as you will see later I missed a big one.

user posted image

Then of course you assemble the guy. Would not do you a whole lot of good in the game laying about in parts.

user posted image

I like to primer my models and suggest you do also. Anyhow with whatever brown they have at Home Depot here he is primed.

user posted image

Now all of you smart guys and gals out there are like I bet he paints his guy next. You would be right of course next we block out all the model in whatever colors strike your fancy. I stick with earthy tones because it works well with the wash he is going to get later.

user posted image

For reference these are the colors used on this guy.

user posted image

Now for the fun part. Mr Gor gets a brushed on bath of Minwax Polyshades Satin Antique Walnut qood stain. Just brush it on making sure no giant pools get left on him.

user posted image

I know he does not look to good now but just wait a day or so for the stain to dry do up some kind of base and spray on the magic that is Testors Dullcoat and your done.

user posted image

Please excuse his wet looking stinky arm pit. I missed it with the Dullcoat somehow and will go back later and touch it up.

For completeness sake this is the paint and mats I use for the base.

user posted image

Also a picture of the stain.

user posted image

There you go simple and not to bad looking.
Hewhorocks
Posted: Oct 9 2012, 05:52 AM

Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,579

Very nice. I have 70 gors and 50 beastigors done in much the same fashion.

I think for new folks to the hobby, this can be an invaluable boost to confidence. It's that simple to have a painted army!
Beregond
Posted: Oct 9 2012, 08:55 AM

Ungor

Member No.: 5,062

That isn't bad at all. I think the metals would do well with some extra work, but other than that looks great for such a simple technique o_O

--------------------
user posted image
popisdead
Posted: Oct 9 2012, 02:13 PM

Van Goghbull

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 474

Very nice! Thanks for contributing this smile.gif

--------------------
Myrdin
Posted: Oct 9 2012, 02:53 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 5,017

though its not soo satisfying as painting every single of to i high standard, this is great when you have dozens of guys you need to paint up, and just cant spend half of your life doing every single one manually biggrin.gif

--------------------
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen
HarleyXJGuy
Posted: Oct 11 2012, 03:26 AM

Hound

QUOTE (Beregond @ Oct 9 2012, 08:55 AM)
That isn't bad at all. I think the metals would do well with some extra work, but other than that looks great for such a simple technique o_O

The metals look much better with some work. Much like this guy I did years ago.

user posted image

Spent more time after the wash when I was first learning how to use this method.

Makes the model look much better but I am just to lazy to be bothered lol.

Seems like a small world when I come to a new forum and run in to some of the same people. How is your significant other Bere?

Here is a shot of how a pile of these guys done using this method look on the table.

user posted image

Nothing to write home about but I have never had anyone complain about having to play against them. Well not because of how they are painted anyhow, I mean they are Skaven.
Solegga
Posted: Oct 11 2012, 05:22 AM

Minotaur

Member No.: 5,097

Sharing does good to us all... ;-)

Thank you!
Kawazu
Posted: Oct 11 2012, 01:17 PM

I am the table

Member No.: 3,459

Looks pretty good! I'm not a big fan of dipping and the like, but I can't deny that with such results it's very worth the effort.

--------------------
user posted image
Kallstrom
Posted: Oct 11 2012, 02:27 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,897

I need to paint my whole Beastmen army soon, will def be using this as a reference. smile.gif Cheers!

--------------------
HarleyXJGuy
Posted: Oct 15 2012, 02:50 AM

Hound

So I have had some good feedback about the bases so I figured I would show you all how simple they are to do.

Now this base is for my Ogres but the principle is the same.

First we have a base. Do not ask me why I took a picture of this, I have no idea.

user posted image

The we add a thick coat of Elmers finest. It has to be thick for this kind of base rocks so they stick better.

user posted image

Pile on the rocks. I use a sheet of paper under the base to collect up the rocks.

user posted image

Dig out your base and clean up the edges and you are done for now.

user posted image

Once the glue drys tomorrow I will finish this up and we can see the finished product.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Painting and Modelling | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1052 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring