InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Beastmen took another "Best Overall"!, Tournament win for the Minobus!
kris_kapsner
Posted: May 7 2012, 02:29 PM

Doombull

Group: Member
Member No.: 1,490

Well, my Beastmen just took another Best Overall finish in our local Spring tournament.

I ran a minobus list with a ghorgon...I know everyone LOVES those rare choices of ours. biggrin.gif

Round one I faced Vampire Counts. I think the minobus is a tough match up for vampires because of the sheer number of wounds dished out in a turn. It's probably a tougher match up than the typical herdstone spam lists. Ultimately, the win for me came down to me getting my minobus into the massive hoard of skeletons with his general and doing so many wounds to them and winning combat by such a massive amount that he just lost far too many wounds for his magic to recover. I never had to even cause a wound on his general for him to just crumble to death. Close game but I pulled out the win.

Round two I faced a very tough dark elf list. Even though he did a great deal of damage with a Pit of Shades and his hydras, ultimately the game was decided by a single poor roll on my part. All I needed to roll was a 7 for my minobus to get into his corsairs in hoard formation, two hand weapons and frenzied. I rolled a 4, stumbling ahead 3 inches. Then he charged, rolled a 26 for his Mindrazor while I failed to dispel by rolling a 25...and that was game. Not much I can do about that. If I would have gotten the charge off as planned, his corsairs wouldn't have had the benefit of the magic boosting their strength from 3 to 8 and I would have rolled over them rather quickly. It cost me the game. Oh well. I still managed to capture other tournament points for certain victory conditions on the board with all the chaff I bring to the table and that was enough to give me a few extra points even though I lost.

Round three my children of chaos performed amazingly against the Warriors of Chaos. Through tactical deployment of my units I managed to bait his unit of 6 chaos ogres onto the wrong side of the battle field. The chalice came in handy turn one when I shut down his hell cannon for a turn...only to see him misfire 2nd turn and gobble up all of his crew. The ghorgon performed very well this game taking down a giant as well as flank charging a unit of marauders with great weapons and wiping them out too. My units of gor and ungor held up his unit of khorne warriors and the rampaging hell cannon until the end of the game. That allowed the minotaur unit to take on his toughest huge unit of chaos warriors with the general and bsb. He did some wounds to each of my characters leading the unit, but due to attack allocation, he couldn't quite squeeze out the last wound needed here or there to make one fall. The warriors broke and ran after a couple turns when their ranks dropped to 2 to equal mine. Then, because they broke on the warriors turn, I was able to run them down with a single razorgor charge on my turn. In the end, I'd captured every tournament victory point...which was very difficult for this final battle scenario. And, it was enough for me to eek out a single final tournament point win for best overall.

The dark elf player that beat me ended up with more victory points from the battles, but my painting scores were just enough to give me the overall victory.

run.gif

The tournament was a lot of fun. And, since it's the 2nd one in a row that I've won with my beastmen, some people around here are starting to respect the true children of chaos.
rothgar13
Posted: May 7 2012, 03:42 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Member No.: 4,917

Congrats on the win! And yeah, DE is just tough times for Beastmen, especially if you flub some rolls.

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
Sandsnare
Posted: May 7 2012, 09:07 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 5,086

Well done on the win, I recently when to Call to War, managed to lose all 6 games and finished a rather embarrising 93rd out of 100 players. Hehe it was fun though, Highest Beastmen Army was 30th I think.
Beastlord Karankawa
Posted: May 8 2012, 01:09 AM

Mr. Primitive screw-head

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Congrats on the placing, and the good time!

--------------------
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Hargus56
Posted: May 14 2012, 07:21 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,915

Curious what list you ran for the tourney. Thinking of expanding my beasts to incorporate a minobus.
meowsor
Posted: May 15 2012, 08:03 PM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795

Congratulations, and thanks for the summary smile.gif

Would you be so kind as to post this A++ list? biggrin.gif
Yadda
Posted: May 16 2012, 01:55 AM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,418

Awesome, glad to hear that you won! I too am very interested to see a unit list that allowed you to win the WoC match. a friend of mine has them and id love a few pointers to try and beat him.

--------------------
user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Battle Reports | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0838 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring