zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Beasts of Rage - 2500 points, Adding a little variety to my army
Billy Ocean
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 07:59 AM

Doombull

Group: Member
Member No.: 5,331

QUOTE (Bossman @ Apr 29 2012, 05:37 AM)
...they go own fast to BS and cannon fire.

I would think this is a good argument for taking a larger bus. Doesn't matter what else you put out there, the minos are going to be taking the brunt of the firepower, so I think extra bodies is best way to make the unit more robust.

Also yes, I don't see a better way to spend core points here. 4 units of raiders is a good number - 2 for ambushing when up against gunlines!

--------------------
"Chance favors only the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
"There's a whole forum of people who love little plastic goat-monsters as much as you?" - the wife
Best new member 2012 - thanks guys!

The Immigrant Herd: Army Lists, Army Diary
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 08:57 AM

Beastly Beastlord

Member No.: 4,917

The Minotaurs bulking up the back also provide a crucial aspect in ranks. My plan is to use Chariots as the complementary unit to them, so this army would otherwise struggle to break Steadfast. Not so when the Minotaurs run 4 deep. It also gives me the option of running it as a 4 x 3 with the Champ in front, which is definitely something I'll consider when fighting a unit that can't get through T4, 4+ armor easily (or that has Flaming Attacks).

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
Maelstrom
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 03:28 PM

I get one of these? Sweet.

Member No.: 90

I'd say drop the shields for xtra hw once they hit frenzy they lose the pary save. As the bsb can be protected in the second rank why not give him the beast banner? S6 Minos Mmmm

--------------------
Grashnak said:
QUOTE (grashnak @ Feb 5 2006, 08:37 AM)
why is it ok to burn down the danish embassy?

Washed clean by the blood of the lamb.

user posted image
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 04:38 PM

Beastly Beastlord

I choose shields to protect the Minotaurs from small-arms fire as much as I can. A 5+ armor save means that I at least get some sort of save against Skink Blowpipes and other pesky shots, and it means the Bloodkine has a respectable 4+ save. I would also love to have The Beast Banner, but that goes against the idea of the Minobus in the first place. Its goal is to use the Minotaurs as a delivery system for the characters, not the other way around. I want my big boys up front.

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Bossman
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 08:54 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 5,117

I see where you are going. I'd feel uneasy with a list like this But I' sure you are good enough to pull it off.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 09:21 PM

Beastly Beastlord

It's definitely a bit of a balancing act - that's why all that chaff is there to attract attention from shooters and war machines. If you don't pay attention to them, they will take those ranged tools out of the picture. They also help protect my Minobus. I do wish I could squeeze the Chalice of Dark Rain in here, though.

--------------------

Toe Cutter
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 12:29 PM

Gorebull

Member No.: 4,850

I see what you mean about the extra bulls now. Its about giving the characters a look out sir but also keeping enough ranks to threaten steadfast. Fair enough.

While I wouldn't suggest you prune the unit as hard as bossman is suggesting, I think what he mentions about getting another threat on the board is a useful suggestion however.

If you take a few minotaurs out of the unit it may give you enough points to put something like a razorgor chariot or a small herd of razorgor (three in 2 ranks for example) in there as well. This does two things. It gives you an extra heavy hitting unit that reduces the one trick pony feel from the list. It'll also help your gor herd out with some much needed punch should they need to take on an enemy unit away from the bus. What it also does though is divide the attention of any shooting attacks.

A load of minos in a unit and not much else in the way of heavy hitters means that your mino unit will get targetted no questions asked. Taking a few minos out to be able to afford a razorgor chariot or a herd of razorgor (second option being more survivable obviously) means that the stuff your opponent is shooting at you needs to be divided between the two units if they're going to take out both.

Finally if a minobus has lots of ranks then that maximises the return that cannons will get when pointed at the bus. With four ranks they're killing four a turn potentially. Thats an awful lot of dead cow! Also when you think about it, putting the bus into a steadfast unit and having it stick there for a couple of combat turns is not necessarily a bad thing. They'll be winning combat and cos they'll be winning combat they'll be getting more and more attacks each. Not necessarily a bad thing to be honest (when taken in moderation obviously).

--------------------
Army blog

Mr T is the new Nostradamus. Years before the new book was even released, he advised Beastmen modellers everywhere to abandon their jaberslythe modelling projects in protest at the new rules set with the eerily prophetic warning "Quit your Jibber Jabber". Spooky.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 01:15 PM

Beastly Beastlord

The thing is, a Razorgor Chariot doesn't hit much harder than a Tuskgor one (the only difference is 2 S4 attacks vs. 4 S5 attacks - everything else is identical) - the difference is that it's a lot sturdier (though almost twice as costly and not a Core choice). It's still only got Ld7 and is just a Chariot, though, so it's not like it's going to be able to tackle enemy units on its own. A Herd of Razorgor is a bit more intriguing, but their Leadership being as arse as it is bodes ill for their chances of sticking around in a given fight, especially given that they have little insurance from a fluffed attack roll. The Minobus kind of is a one-trick-pony build - I don't really see much of a way to mitigate that. Lowering the Minotaur count only exposes my characters to more danger, so I think I just have to live with it. shrug.gif

I do disagree with there only being one real target, though - if artillery does not shoot the chaff that's racing upfield, I am going to wipe out his machines by the end of my second turn (at least, that's the plan). It's also worth noting that I have a caster with Lore of Shadows and a big Herd of Gors - there's a lot of incentive for me to fling a bunch of dice at Mindrazor every phase, and that does turn the Gors into a threat.

--------------------

The Charioteer
  Posted: Apr 30 2012, 01:24 PM

Funny man

Member No.: 4,927

QUOTE (Bossman @ Apr 29 2012, 05:37 AM)
Waaaaay to many minotaurs. As your minos won't take damage till a gorebull dies, I suspect when that happens you'll be doomed as only the hardest unit will do that. 6 is the magic number but I'd go less. I'd cut down to 4 ad take something that would pull fire from them, as they go own fast to BS and cannon fire.

I'm inclined to agree. 6 should be fine

--------------------
You are guilty! The punishment is death for all who live.

a-hahahahahahaha. Here is a fact, my left nipple was once burned off and regrew. So I have Wolverine's regen powers,.. but only proven effective so far on my left nipple.

6+ Regen is better than no Regen, pop

Popisdead and Rothgar on having Regen
Toe Cutter
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:12 PM

Gorebull

Member No.: 4,850

QUOTE (rothgar13 @ Apr 30 2012, 01:15 PM)
The thing is, a Razorgor Chariot doesn't hit much harder than a Tuskgor one (the only difference is 2 S4 attacks vs. 4 S5 attacks - everything else is identical) - the difference is that it's a lot sturdier (though almost twice as costly and not a Core choice). It's still only got Ld7 and is just a Chariot, though, so it's not like it's going to be able to tackle enemy units on its own. A Herd of Razorgor is a bit more intriguing, but their Leadership being as arse as it is bodes ill for their chances of sticking around in a given fight, especially given that they have little insurance from a fluffed attack roll. The Minobus kind of is a one-trick-pony build - I don't really see much of a way to mitigate that. Lowering the Minotaur count only exposes my characters to more danger, so I think I just have to live with it. shrug.gif

I do disagree with there only being one real target, though - if artillery does not shoot the chaff that's racing upfield, I am going to wipe out his machines by the end of my second turn (at least, that's the plan). It's also worth noting that I have a caster with Lore of Shadows and a big Herd of Gors - there's a lot of incentive for me to fling a bunch of dice at Mindrazor every phase, and that does turn the Gors into a threat.

Fair play about the chariots - they really shine when a character is put on one but I suppose there's not a great deal of difference between a lone one and a lone tuskgor.

The razorgor herd has poor leadership by itself yes but as there are only two ranked units in this army it shouldn't be that difficult to keep it within 12" of your doom bull. Particularly if you deploy three in two ranks. One other option would be a unit of centigor. They'd help with the warmachine hunting and can hit harder and are more resistant to warmachine damage than the lone razorgors.

Fair point about the chaff vs warmachines and level four shadow and gor horde synergy though, I'll give you that.

The more I think about it, the more you need that chalice though. At the moment if a cannon hits that unit of minotaurs its potentially killing four minotaur at the first hit. Then three more with the second hit (if it gets a second round of shooting, or two cannons shooting in the first turn). Thats seven dead cows in two turns of shooting. That pays for a lot of chalices. Drop a cow and pick up a chalice say I.

--------------------
Army blog

Mr T is the new Nostradamus. Years before the new book was even released, he advised Beastmen modellers everywhere to abandon their jaberslythe modelling projects in protest at the new rules set with the eerily prophetic warning "Quit your Jibber Jabber". Spooky.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 30 2012, 02:16 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Fair enough, gents. A Chalice caddy with Lore of Beasts for 3 Minotaurs it is.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 30 2012, 02:26 PM

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Army Lists | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0692 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring