Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

More beastmen tactics
Corrupted
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 10:04 PM

Ungor

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,066

Hello to whole Herdstone, after nearly 5years I again started Warhammer Fantasy (I was sick of 7th ed rules but 8th ed seems kind a improvement) and I realized there is a bunch of new tactics.
Some of them I already found here but Iam missing a few things here and those are, Tactics for Minobus (I have a slight idea that MInobus should be medium sized Minotaur Unit woth 2 characters ?) and another is tactic for our Shamans ?

I dont get Jagged Dagger shaman with magic weapon ? Could somebody tell me how this works ? I mean that he has to kill something with jagged dagger so when he has another magic weapon how is this function and why (example fencer blade) ?

Next one is how to utilize Herdstone Shamans ? Leave 2low level shamans next to herdstone and prey for bad dispel or what ?

I already tried search button and google so this is my last hope smile.gif Beastmen have a bad reputation in our country so I would like to give them some glory at last.

Thank you guys very much for keep up a good work. thumbsup.gif
rothgar13
Posted: Mar 26 2012, 10:31 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,917

The Minobus usually consists of a medium-sized block of Minotaurs along with several Minotaur characters. I prefer to have 3 (2 Gorebulls and a Doombull), personally.

The Jagged Dagger is an Arcane Item, not a magic weapon.

The way you use the Herdstone is 2-3 low-level Shamans with a Lore with a good signature spell (I prefer Shadows, but Beasts also works), and you try and cast that spell over and over. You'll either draw out a bunch of dispel dice, or you'll get them all off if he ignores them and dominate. Either way, advantage: you.

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
Gawkmaster
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 07:03 AM

Hound

Member No.: 5,337

QUOTE (rothgar13 @ Mar 26 2012, 10:31 PM)
The Minobus usually consists of a medium-sized block of Minotaurs along with several Minotaur characters. I prefer to have 3 (2 Gorebulls and a Doombull), personally.

The Jagged Dagger is an Arcane Item, not a magic weapon.

The way you use the Herdstone is 2-3 low-level Shamans with a Lore with a good signature spell (I prefer Shadows, but Beasts also works), and you try and cast that spell over and over. You'll either draw out a bunch of dispel dice, or you'll get them all off if he ignores them and dominate. Either way, advantage: you.

Rothgar is completely right, but the reasoning behind the tactics can be a bit annoying to get your head around.

Firstly, the minobus is taken with 3 characters sometimes with defensive items, who fight in the front rank of a 3 wide minotaur unit, this means that no attacks from the front can be directed at the minotaurs behind who are relatively squishy compared to doombulls and gorebulls. I mean WS and T 4 isnt that survivable, even if you give them armour.

The wizard with the dagger works exactly as rothgar said, you dont attack with the dagger, it just means any kills a character equiped with this item (no matter waht weapons are used) can use the kills as PD.

I like to use the herdstone and dagger in unison, because you often have 3-ish low lvl wizards, and one high lvl wizard. this means that you can pretty much dominate the magic phase with several castings of miasma from the lvl 1 shadow wizards (my preffered tactic) and then follow up with even more spells from the lvl 4. i find that after a round or two of combat with the GBS and 3 BS's i can pretty much do whatever i want in the magic phase (i actually hope for a double one on the winds of magic roll tongue.gif) p.s. lore of beasts is difficult to work with a herdstone I find because of the low range on Wildform. Miasma with 48" range and casting on a 5+ works wonders for me. Usually i take beasts on the Level 4.

I hope this helps to clarify. smile.gif
BeastsBookorNot
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 11:32 AM

The Original Ungor Ninja - sustained by Unicorn Meat!

Member No.: 3,594

Minobus:

As has been mentioned, is a medium sized unit of minotaurs joined by two or three minotaur characters. The tactic relies on forcing your opponent to allocate his attacks between 3 characters with WS5 T5 and usually a 1+ as and or 4+ wards. Especialliy good with this tactic is building out the doombull wiith gnarled hide, ramhorn helm, dawn stone,heavy armor, shield and sword of swift slaying. Doombull gets a rerollable armor save that returns attacks, rerolls to hit and ASF. Also, putting berserker sword on one of the characters means your unit wont lose its bloodgreed attacks thumbsup.gif

Jagged dagger shaman:

Again as has been mentioned the jagged dagger is not a magic weapon. You give the shaman a 4+ ward, fencers blades and whatever else you like. Stick him in a unit of gors carrying the beast banner for a ws 10 S5 monster. Cast savage beast on him for even more nastiness. Pretty simple really, just make sure you keep him on the edge of a unit so as to reduce attacks against him.

Herdstone spam:

Best tactic to us by far, and great to combine with a jagged dagger shaman. Stick 2-3 L1 shamans of shadow around the herdstone and spam cast miasma with 1-2 dice each. Imagine going into combat against ogres for example. One successful miasma can reduce them to WS 1. follow up with a curse of anraheir and now his big bad unit is hitting on 6s. And you have barely touched your dice.

--------------------
- BBorN

Ungor ninjas are all around us, practicing their deadly art of invisibility.

It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it!

My Battle Reports

Harvesters of Sorrow (Background and Army List)

Harvesters of Sorrow (Painting Diary)

QUOTE (snowblizz @ Jan 10 2014, 07:26 PM)
EBON may be a lousy yank git, but he's our lousy yank git. thumbsup.gif
Corrupted
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 04:57 PM

Ungor

Member No.: 2,066

Thank you guys for replies. It really hepled alot.
My confusion about jagged dagger was from army builder where is different wording (where you must kill something with it) than in armybook, now I understand why its a good build.
Hewhorocks
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 06:02 PM

Beastlord

Member No.: 4,579

Something else to consider is the use of Ungor raiders to hang out by the Herdstone Shaman. They can grant the "look out sir" bonus and being skirmishers arent technically in base contact if a miscast happens to crop up.
kris_kapsner
Posted: Mar 27 2012, 07:28 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 1,490

If you like casting spells and overwhelming the opponent in that phase, the herdstone shadow shaman spam list is the way to go. Sticking 3 level 1 shaman back there around the herdstone in the middle of your deployment zone will still allow you to cast Miasma on practically the entire battle field due to the 48" range. It's a fantastic tactic. Then stick a level 4 lore of beasts shaman in your gor unit and go kill stuff with the fencer's blades/dagger combo. It's a great tactic that matches up well against pretty much every army out there.

If you go with the minobus, it's pretty much a "one trick pony". You win if you get to your enemies battle line relatively intact. You'll lose if you lose some characters due to magic or war machines before you get there.

I really like the minobus. But, it certainly has some downsides. There are few other units in the entire game that hit as hard as this unit though. But, that's understandable since a good minobus consisting of just 9 models runs close to 1200 points, half of most people's tournament point lists. The rest of the army is built around protecting flanks, diverting and just keeping this unit alive in general. The three characters alone cost about 800 points when kitted out properly.

I've seen some amazing things from my minobus. The first time I rolled one out I caught a vampire player completely off guard as to what to expect from that minotaur unit. I used a single razorgor to angle one of his two large grave guard units just slightly. I then charged into his grave guard unit next to the other unit with the minobus. After casualties and crumbling his vampire lieutenant and his entire grave guard unit was destroyed on the charge. I then over ran the unit which carried me into the flank of the other grave guard unit fighting the single razorgor. Since I hadn't done the combat yet for that unit, my minobus had a 2nd combat on the same turn. I destroyed that entire unit in the same manner.

That's a personal record for the minobus, to take out 2 units of 30 grave guard and a vampire with my minobus in a single turn. I'll never forget the look on my opponent's face...something like - blink.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0737 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring