Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (7) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

rothgar13's Battle Reports, I'm making this a regular thing now
rothgar13
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 02:40 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,917

Hey all,

I've decided to get into the habit of posting regular battle reports, and to that end I'll be starting this thread. In an effort to keep things organized, I'll be using this first post as a "lobby" of sorts, where I'll be putting links to each game for easier viewing. Enjoy! smile.gif

Posted Battle Reports:
02/18/2012 - 2500 v. Dwarfs
02/19/2012 - 2500 v. Vampire Counts
03/03/2012 - 2500 v. Vampire Counts
03/10/2012 - 2500 v. Vampire Counts
04/08/2012 - 2500 v. Warriors of Chaos
04/14/2012 - 2500 v. Dwarfs
05/19/2012 - 2500 v. Warriors of Chaos
01/27/2013 - 2500 v. Ogre Kingdoms
02/03/2013 - 2500 v. Vampire Counts
03/10/2013 - 2500 v. Lizardmen
03/24/2013 - 2500 v. Vampire Counts
03/31/2013 - 2500 v. Ogre Kingdoms
07/20/2013 - 2500 v. Warriors of Chaos
09/08/2013 - 2500 v. Daemons of Chaos

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Sep 14 2013, 03:25 PM

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
rothgar13
Posted: Mar 11 2012, 03:44 PM

Beastly Beastlord

2500 v. Vampire Counts - 03/10/2012

So, let's get this show on the road. As you can tell, this VC player is one of the regulars in my group. We're also doing a lot of 2500 because it's a value that's easy to transport and because there's a tournament coming up in a month. Without further ado, the lists in question:

WARNING: If you can't stand seeing unpainted miniatures and proxies on a table, this batrep is NOT for you. You were warned.

Rothgar's Ramhorns - 2,500 points

Core - 634 points:
20 Gors, AHW's, Full Command (in ambush)
38 Gors, AHW's, Full Command [BSB and Great Bray-Shaman go here]
4 x 5 Ungor Raiders

Special - 728 points:
39 Bestigors, Full Command, Wailing Banner [Beastlord goes here]
2 x Razorgor
5 Harpies, Scouts

Heroes - 546 points:
Bray-Shaman, Chalice of Dark Rain [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]
Bray-Shaman, Dispel Scroll [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]
Bray-Shaman, Shard of the Herdstone [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]
Wargor, BSB, The Beast Banner, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armor, Shield

Lords - 592 points:
Beastlord, Blackened Plate, Crown of Command, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation
Great Bray-Shaman, Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, L4 Wizard, Talisman of Endurance, The Terrifying Mask of EEE! [Lore of Beasts - Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, Amber Spear, Curse of Anraheir, Wyssan's Wildform]

Grand Total: 2,500 points

As you can tell, this is my regular list. Here's my opponent's list:

Vampire Counts - 2500 points:

Core:
40 Skeletons, Spears, Full Command [Wraiths go here]
45 Skeletons, HW+Shield, Full Command
20 Zombies [Necromancers go here]
2 x 5 Dire Wolves

Special:
38 Grave Guard, Great Weapons, Full Command, Banner of the Barrows [Vampire Lord and Wight King go here]
5 Vargheists, Vargoyle

Heroes:
5 x Cairn Wraith
Wight King, BSB, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation
Necromancer, Dispel Scroll [Lore of the Vampires - Invocation of Nehek]

Lords:
Master Necromancer, L4 Wizard [Lore of the Vampires - Curse of Years, Hellish Vigor, Invocation of Nehek, Van Hel's Danse Macabre]
Vampire Lord, Armor of Destiny, Ogre Blade, Quickblood, Red Fury, Shield [General, Lore of the Vampires - Invocation of Nehek]

So yeah... the good ol' Wall-o-Wraith. As a guy who only packed one magic weapon and doesn't have a whole lot in the way of ways to hurt those Wraiths, this is a bad situation. I can't believe I'm missing the Lore of Death right now...

We roll a pitched battle as the scenario, and initial setup looks like this:

user posted image

The key thing to note here is that I've essentially kicked his tail at deployment. I've gotten my magic weapon-less block (Bestigos) the heck away from those Ethereals, and he has a whole lot of ground to cover (not to mention some of his units to interrupt) in order to remedy that. He gets first turn.

Vampire Turn 1:

Generic move-up by most of the units. The Wraiths start heading in the Bestigors' direction, which is worrisome. He hides his Vargheists in the far right, where none of my units can really threaten them. In the Magic Phase, he attempts to cast Van Hel's, but the dice gods decided to kick him in the nether regions - this would be a recurring theme in this game. He failed the casting value for the 12" version (on 4 dice with a L4, I might add), and got a quick IoN off to swell the size of the Zombies.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 1:

The Harpies charge one squad of Dire Wolves, and 3 squads of Raiders surround the other squad death-by-firing-squad style. I also roll a 2 on Ambush (I'll take it - I had rolled a 1 in 3 straight games!), so they don't show up. Everyone else moves forward, and all of a sudden I'm spying a flank charge on the Wraiths' unit, which would be devastating to them. I lower the Dire Wolves' WS and the Wraiths' movement with Miasma, and I lob an Amber Spear at them but fail my To Wound roll on the only Wraith that didn't get a Look Out, Sir! (sigh...). My Harpies beat the Dire Wolves in combat, but my Ungors don't kill the other squad (lame).

user posted image

Vampire Turn 2:

The block of Skeletons on the far right charges a squad of Raiders and makes it. The same goes for the surviving Dire Wolves squad. The Wraith unit decides to not risk getting mashed by angry Beast Banner Gors and turns to face them. He also flies his Vargheists up to face my Bestigors' flank. I stuff his Van Hel's with my Dispel Scroll, so all his magic phase accomplishes is recovering the losses from the previous turn's Amber Spear and raising more Zombies. His Dire Wolves win combat, but my Raiders hold. The squad fighting the Skeletons, on the other hand, loses and gets run down, sending the Skellies headfirst into my Razorgor. My Harpies finish the other squad of Dire Wolves off.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 2:

My squad of Raiders near the center of the board flank-charge the Skeletons, and I gear up for a super combo-charge on the Wraith unit once I realized that my Raiders had access to his flank and wouldn't block the Gors. It was all for naught, though, because my Gors and Razorgor flubbed the charge rolls, sending the Harpies and Raiders in by themselves. I roll another 2 for Ambush, which means my backup is apparently too busy picking their teeth to contribute. I did manage to Miasma both units that were in combat that round (one of those was thanks to an IF that left one of my Herdstone Shamans as a drooling idiot, though), as well as get a Wildform on the Raiders in the Wraith combat.

Combat was busy - the Raiders on the far right finished off the Dire Wolves and reformed to face the main block of Skeletons, who were actually beaten in combat by the combination of the other squad of Raiders and the Razorgor. The Harpies and Raiders fighting the Wraiths didn't fare nearly as well - the latter was wiped out to the man, and the Harpies fled. That would have been a much better turn if I could have gotten that charge...

user posted image

Vampire Turn 3:

Not much happened in movement here - the Vargheists moved behind the Bestigors after succceeding on their Berserk Rage test, and the Wraith unit backed up to make the Gors' charge a bit harder. I stuff his magic phase, which was highlight by his rolling 4 1's when attempting to 6-dice Curse of Years (because Vampires can't have nice things, apparently). His Skeletons on the right manage to slaughter my Ungors and send my Razorgor running, but they run right into my Bestigors as they run it down. Time for the real combat to begin!

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 3:

The Gors and Razorgor on the left finally decide to get off their arses and do stuff (aka they make the charge against the Wraith unit), and my surviving Raiders flank-charge the Skeletons on the right. I get a very nice surprise on this turn, thanks to a 6 on the Ambush roll (about flippin' time!). Thanks to that, my Ambushing Gors are in great position to either help finish the Wraith unit off, or gobble up some Zombies. I get Miasma on his Wall-o-Wraith unit, and my attempt at Curse of Anraheir draws out his Dispel Scroll. My Bestigors beat the crap out of his Skeletons, though some of them still survive the ensuing crumble. The Wraith combat goes as expected - one Wraith pops, I kill the champ, and get the necessary CR to win the fight from the flank-charge.

user posted image

Vampire Turn 4:

The Vargheists fail their Berserk Rage test, and rush headlong into the Bestigors. The Zombies try to put as much distance between them and the Gors as possible. The Grave Guard lament the fact that they've been blocked by the Skeletons. My opponent casts Van Hel's, but miscasts and gets a wound on all his casters. He also throws in an IoN to make the Zombies even more obscenely large, and put a rank back on the Skellies fighting the Bestigors. Combat sees my Beastlord take 2 Wounds from the Vargheists, but the beating inflicted upon them both of his units by my unit sees them end the round with one wound on each side (this was very annoying). The other combat sees me pluck another Wraith and grind them down some more.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 4:

My Gors rear-charge unit of Wraiths, which is looking pretty dead right now. I layer on a Miasma just to make sure, and I also manage to muscle through a Curse of Anraheir on the Grave Guard and a Wildform on the Bestigors. As expected, they finish that fight. In the meantime, the Gors put the remaining Vargheist and Skeleton out of their misery, but not before losing a couple more guys.

user posted image

Vampire Turn 5:

At this point, my opponent is way behind on points and he knows it, so he has to bite the bullet and charge the Bestigors even with Curse active (which costs him 13 guys). He also bails the Master Necromancer out of the unit of Zombies, abandoning them to their fate. He gets an IoN off to recover a couple of lost GG, and then gears up to cast Van Hel's... at which point the dice gods decide to kick him in the nuts one last time, so he flubs the 12+ roll. The GG-Bestigors combat is the traditional bloodbath, with the Vampire and their slightly stronger numbers proving to be the edge (and no, Despoilers was unable to make up the gap). The Bestigors hold, thanks to Stubborn.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 5:

I super-combo-charge the unit of Zombies, and send the lone remaining Raider on a suicide mission against the Grave Guard's flank. I don't land much this magic phase, except for a Wildform on the Bestigors. The Zombies prove how awful at fighting they are by losing the combat by 25(!), going from a mighty 60 to a miserable 8. The Bestigors get faced with a full dose of Vampire Lord on 'roids, so they go down, as does the lone Ungor. That made the game a whole lot closer, but I'm still ahead on points.

user posted image

At this point, my opponent knows he's been beaten, so we go through a magic phase for the unlikely case of chain-panic (doesn't happen), and we call it.

Final picture:

user posted image

MINOR VICTORY FOR THE BEASTMEN!

Some lessons from this match:

1. Flying and Scouts seem to be overkill, and only one of those two is optional. My next list will see Harpies fielded normally, which will give me another dummy drop.

2. Wall-o-Wraith is TOUGH. Even with the ideal situation (a flanker and a rear-charger), it still took 3 rounds to crumble them down. Not an easy thing to deal with for our army.

3. Need more magic weapons. I tried to fight it, but the fact of the matter is that the Bestigors would have a much nicer matchup against those Wraiths than the Gors would, provided my Beastlord suited up with a magic weapon. I'm going to pull the trigger on that change.

Comments are welcome. smile.gif

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 12 2012, 10:51 PM

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

TobiasRathein
Posted: Mar 13 2012, 03:43 AM

Hound

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,311

Yeah, my dice really hated me this game. I've never failed so many spells like that in one game. Hopefully this means that, by the law of averages, my next game will be chock full of box cars.

The wraith unit does precisely what I wanted it to, as well. If I wasn't horribly outdeployed I might have gotten the wraith unit into the fight I wanted.

Next game, sir, will be our chaff war!
Rowsdower
Posted: Mar 22 2012, 08:37 AM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,801

I'm still waiting for the law of averages to come back in my favor. 2 years of total crap dice rolling and going strong!

I lose not because of poor tactics or troop placement, but because I only roll 1's. Which helps when I'm taking any form of test, but not by much.

--------------------
user posted image
"Put your helmets on, we'll be reaching speeds of THREE!"

WFB Record
Empire
W-35 L-18 T-9

Beastmen
W-36 L-17 T-1
brother_maynard
Posted: Mar 25 2012, 12:07 PM

Beastlord

Member No.: 4,396

rothgar, on your first turn, you really confused me by moving your razorgor in front of the bestis but behind your raider screen. mind giving some thoughts on this move?

--------------------
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 02:53 AM

Beastly Beastlord

Sorry it took me so long to reply, maynard, but the reason I sent the Razorgor behind the Raider screen was that I was aiming to jam the Wraith-wall for as long as possible. In this game, the unit of Bestigors didn't have a magic weapon, so I wanted no part of that Ethereal unit grinding me down.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 9 2012, 02:55 AM

--------------------

rothgar13
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:46 AM

Beastly Beastlord

All right, guys, time for another batrep! I know it's been a while, but I've been a bit unmotivated to post any because I've basically been on a diet of nothing but VC (from 2 different players) for a couple of weeks in a row. Today, however, I got to play a WoC army. So, let's get to it:

WARNING: If you can't stand seeing unpainted miniatures and proxies on a table, this batrep is NOT for you. You were warned.

Rothgar's Ramhorns - 2,500 points

Core - 652 points:
38 Gors, AHW's, Full Command [BSB and Great Bray-Shaman go here]
40 Ungors, Full Command
3 x 6 Ungor Raiders

Special - 713 points:
2 x Razorgor
5 Harpies

Heroes - 546 points:
Bray-Shaman, Chalice of Dark Rain [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]
Bray-Shaman, Dispel Scroll [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]
Bray-Shaman, Shard of the Herdstone [Lore of Shadows - Miasma]

Lords - 589 points:
Beastlord, Crown of Command, Heavy Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, Talisman of Preservation
Great Bray-Shaman, Fencer's Blades, Jagged Dagger, L4 Wizard, Talisman of Endurance, The Terrifying Mask of EEE! [Lore of Beasts - Pann's Impenetrable Pelt, Amber Spear, Curse of Anraheir, Wyssan's Wildform]

Grand Total: 2,500 points

This list is part of my playtesting effort for the Ungor block. My opponent's list looked something like this:

Warriors of Chaos - 2500 points:

Core:
40 Chaos Marauders, Great Weapons, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Standard-Bearer
20 Chaos Warriors, Halberds, Mark of Khorne, Musician, Standard-Bearer
20 Chaos Warriors, Mark of Tzeentch, Musician, Shields, Standard-Bearer
2 x 5 Chaos Warhounds

Special:
5 Chaos Knights, Mark of Khorne
6 Chaos Trolls

Rare:
Hellcannon

Heroes:
Exalted Hero, BSB, Juggernaut, Mark of Khorne, ?

Lords:
Sorcerer Lord, Disc of Tzeentch, L4 Wizard, Mark of Tzeentch, Third Eye of Tzeentch, ? [Lore of Tzeentch - Baleful Transmogrification, Infernal Gateway, ?, ?]

A fairly standard WoC list. I'm actually reasonably confident in our ability to match up against this sort of thing, though the Hellcannon is a major pain in the neck.

My opponent decides we should play a pitched battle, and the initial setup looked like this:

user posted image

I get first turn in this game.

Beastmen Turn 1:

Not much happens in the movement phase, except for my Harpies flitting over to try and bait the Knights. I get a major scare in my first magic phase, though - my L4 Shaman miscast while laying a Curse of Anraheir on the Trolls (on 3 dice, I might add), and the Infernal Puppet turns it into the dreaded Dimensional Cascade! Fortunately for me, my L4 does not go down the rabbit hole, and only a handful of Gors are slain in the process. I put a couple of shots into the Hounds, and that was about it. I really feel like I dodged a bullet, though.

user posted image

Warriors Turn 1:

The Knights attempt to charge my Harpies, who proceed to flee out of reach. The far unit of Dogs attempts to charge my Raiders, and not only fails, but they also eat a couple of arrows for their trouble. Everything else moves up a bit.

Magic was an interesting phase - a Baleful Transmogrification puts a Wound on my closer Razorgor, and my Scroll comes out to play early to stop an Infernal Gateway he rolled very well on. Shooting was also eventful, as a direct hit from his Hellcannon annihilates 14 Ungors (ouch!), though they didn't Panic.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 2:

I charge a Razorgor into the Hounds in order to claim the middle of the board, and my Harpies rally. decide that I'll deal with the Hellcannon if/when it comes to me - I can live with it trying to shoot me all game. The Gors flub a swift reform roll (twice), so they only turn around. The other Razorgor stands by to flank-charge any unit that ventures toward my Bestigors, who have moved up to tangle with the bulk of his army. The Ungors start sliding sideways in order to make room for the Gors.

I debuff his Dogs and Marauders with Miasma, but a flubbed Wildform roll cuts my phase short. The Ungors shoot the unit of Dogs that isn't in combat down. The Razorgor in combat claims a few Dogs, but they manage to hold.

user posted image

Warriors Turn 2:

He charges his Trolls into a squad of Raiders, who elect to hold. He's got a bit of a logjam behind that and his Dogs, so not much else happens movement-wise. I manage to stuff all of his magic, and his Hellcannon rolls a misfire followed by a 1 to gloriously remove itself from the table. While my Razorgor finishes off the Hounds, the Ungors are easily dispatched by his Trolls, who overrun right into my Bestigor Horde. So the plot thickens...

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 3:

I run one of my Razorgors into the flank of the Trolls, and I proceed to make a speedbump out of a unit of Raiders and the other Razorgor to keep the Marauders out of a meaningful fight for as long as possible. The Ungors continue to shuffle sideways, whereas the Gors continue to march forward. I also move my Harpies behind his lines to try and pick at his mage.

The magic phase sees me bombard the Trolls with a Miasma + Curse combo that has them hitting on 6s, which results in a easy win and chasedown for the Bestigors. My Razorgor runs right into the unit of Shield Warriors, though.

user posted image

Warriors Turn 3:

The Marauders predictably charge the Raiders in front of them, and the Knights charge my Bestigors, thanks to a flubbed Berserk Rage test. The magic phase sees the Wizard trim the numbers of my Harpies and Gors a bit with Baleful Transmogrification and Infernal Gateway, respectively. Knights prove to be no match for Great Weapons as the Bestigors cut them all down, and the Razorgor fighting the Chaos Warriors actually manages to deal some damage, survive, and hold for a round. The Ungor speedbump is easily annihilated, though the second Razorgor is there to pick up the slack.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 4:

My last remaining unit of Raiders charge the Marauders in the flank in hopes of supporting the Razorgor, and my Bestigors step back in order to force both units of Chaos Warriors to engage them in the front. Magic is rather uneventful except for a Miasma on the unit of Shield Warriors, and an Amber Spear landed on the BSB... but I only do 1 Wound (of course). My Razorgor dies to the Marauders, but the combination of them and the Ungors do enough damage for me to draw the combat and hold on for one more round.

user posted image

Warriors Turn 4:

Both units of Warriors charge my Bestigors - not much else in movement. Magic sees him take a page from my book thanks to the Third Eye of Tzeentch, and land an IF Miasma on my unit of Bestigors. This makes the fight very much in his favor, but Stubborn sees me through to the next round. The Ungors get wiped, and the Marauders turn to face the incoming Gors.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 5:

No charging, but the Gors reform to 6-wide and block the Bestigors' flank. Liberal use of Miasma and Curse of Anraheir has the Halberd Warrior unit hitting on 5's, which swings the fight back in my favor (though a couple of my Herdstone Wizards take Wounds, thanks to a miscast). I do lose the combat by 1, but my opponent's numbers are dwindling - advantage: Beastmen.

user posted image

Warriors Turn 5:

In an attempt to solidify his Marauders, the BSB Exalted Hero joins them. I dispel a 6-diced Miasma (which didn't IF), and easily win the ensuing combat. Both Warrior units break and run, and I catch the Shield Warriors. Looks like I'm going to win this one...

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 6:

The remaining Bestigors charge the fleeing Warriors to get them close to the table edge (they're under 25% strength), then redirect into the Sorcerer Lord. The Gors charge the Marauders in the meantime. I land a Curse of Anraheir on the Marauder unit, which makes the combat an easy win and rundown. At this point, my opponent calls the game, because it's likely a tabling if we play it out.

MASSACRE VICTORY FOR THE BEASTMEN!

Some observations are that I was able to use the terrain to my advantage here - the building on the right blocked my flank very well, and forced the Warriors to come fight me straight-up, where my superior numbers proved to be the telling difference. Unlike in my previous tests, however, the Ungors didn't do much of anything, but that's OK - they preserved their VPs well. I was also able to win in part by taking advantage of our WoC-specific matchups - Gors annihilate Marauders, and Bestigors slice right through Chaos armor.

Thanks for reading, gents! smile.gif

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Mar 26 2013, 06:49 PM

--------------------

Bossman
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 04:40 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 5,117

The ungor hord took a Hellcanon blast for your bestigors and gors, it's like People HAVE to shoot them by law.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 04:05 PM

Beastly Beastlord

It's the law of "WoC hates tarpits", yeah. laugh.gif

To be honest with you, I was surprised he shot it at all. I would have run it right at my army and forced me to fight it with a Razorgor.

--------------------

Bossman
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 05:45 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 5,117

I tend to think of the hell-cannon as less of a cannonandmore as a monster that's 90% Huge mouth to gobble down troops with, every so often gobbles down its handlers, and screws up wizards to boot. If I ever actually had to stop and shoot with it, I was in deep doo-doo.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 9 2012, 06:10 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Or you're playing Goblins. I'd take my odds of panicking the little greenies off the board all day.

--------------------

ugluk69
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 09:44 PM

Wargor

Member No.: 4,406

I really enjoy these battle reports, gives me inspiration to put more stuff together lol.

--------------------
"Looks like meats back on the menu boys!!"

“If you're frightened of dying and... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth."
BeastsBookorNot
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 11:13 PM

The Original Ungor Ninja - sustained by Unicorn Meat!

Member No.: 3,594

QUOTE (rothgar13 @ Apr 9 2012, 04:05 PM)
It's the law of "WoC hates tarpits", yeah. laugh.gif

To be honest with you, I was surprised he shot it at all. I would have run it right at my army and forced me to fight it with a Razorgor.

Im suprised he didnt shoot more juicy targets. He doesnt need to wound to make you take a panic check at -1ld!

--------------------
- BBorN

Ungor ninjas are all around us, practicing their deadly art of invisibility.

It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it!

My Battle Reports

Harvesters of Sorrow (Background and Army List)

Harvesters of Sorrow (Painting Diary)

QUOTE (snowblizz @ Jan 10 2014, 07:26 PM)
EBON may be a lousy yank git, but he's our lousy yank git. thumbsup.gif
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 12 2012, 11:23 PM

Beastly Beastlord

I didn't really think there was a juicier target in terms of casualties, though. He either popped a ton of Ungors, or took his chances at trying to hit a character through the Look Out Sir! (and kill many fewer Gors/Bestigors), or he tried to ping a chaff unit. Either way, just about everything was within both the General's bubble and the BSB's bubble - very unlikely to run. I would have moved it up and forced me to send the Ungors or Gors over to entertain it.

--------------------

rothgar13
Posted: May 9 2012, 03:04 AM

Beastly Beastlord

All right, guys, I've got some backed-up reports to add, so let's get to it. This one is a game from a couple of weeks back, against Dwarfs. Here's my list:

WARNING: If you can't stand seeing unpainted miniatures on a table, this batrep is NOT for you. You were warned.

Rothgar's Ramhorns - 2500 points

Core – 652 points:
38 Gors, AHW’s, Full Command [BSB and Great Bray-Shaman go here]
40 Ungors, Full Command
3 x 6 Ungor Raiders

Special – 713 points:
5 Harpies
2 x Razorgor

Heroes – 546 points:
Bray-Shaman, Chalice of Dark Rain [Lore of Shadows]
Bray-Shaman, Dispel Scroll [Lore of Shadows]
Bray-Shaman, Shard of the Herdstone [Lore of Shadows]

Lords – 589 points:
Beastlord, Crown of Command, Heavy Armor, Shield, Sword of Might, Talisman of Preservation
Great Bray-Shaman, Fencer’s Blades, Jagged Dagger, L4 Wizard, Talisman of Endurance, The Terrifying Mask of EEE! [Lore of Beasts]

Grand Total: 2500 points

My opponent's list:

Dwarf List - 2500 points

Core
16 Quarrellers, Rangers, Full Command
2 x 30 Warriors, Great Weapons, Full Command

Special
Cannon, Rune of Burning, Rune of Reloading
Cannon, Rune of Reloading
39 Hammerers, Full Command, Rune of Courage [BSB goes here]

Rare
2 x Organ Gun

Heroes
Dragon Slayer, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fire, Rune of Striking
Dragon Slayer, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Striking
Thane, BSB, 2 x Rune of Cleaving, 2 x Rune of Iron, Rune of Stone, Shield

Lords
Runelord, Master Rune of Balance, 2 x Rune of Spellbreaking, Shield

Dwarfs get first turn, but here's the initial setup:

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 1:

Pretty standard turn - nothing moves and he proceeds to shoot me. I decide to not pop my Chalice this turn, so small-arms fire sees a couple of Harpies die (but not Panic), as well as a handful of Gors, though the fact that the Forest I started my turn in turned out to be a Wildwood didn't help.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 1:

Nothing special here - just generic advancement, though I did endeavor to get my Harpies out of the Crossbows' forward arc so that artillery would have to deal with it. Magic is fairly uneventful, since all I can really do is Miasma stuff.

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 2:

Slayers decide to advance to impede the charging lanes for my chaff. I decide to pop the Chalice, but the Organ Gun and Cannon that still were able to shoot manage to pop my Harpies and a Razorgor, respectively, and a couple of Raiders die to Crossbow shots. Oh, well.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 2:

My remaining Razorgor can't find a clear charging lane, so I'm forced to oblige him and charge his Slayer. Everyone else marches on up. I decide to Miasma the Slayer down so that the Razorgor has an easier time of it, and it pays off - he dispatches him in a single round and overruns into a cannon. Now I'm in business!

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 3:

As a last-ditch effort to protect his war machine, his Dwarf Warrior unit charged the Razorgor's flank. The Quarreller Rangers move around a bit to face the main blocks. Shooting is rather uneventful, but combat sees my Razorgor fail to kill the war machine (!) and get promptly chopped up by his Warriors (!!), and then reform to face my army again (!!!). That was pretty lame, to be honest.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 3:

A rather unlikely thing happened here - my Terror-causing Bestigors and my Shaman (who also causes Terror) charge both his Warrior blocks, and both of them fail their Terror tests at Ld9 (!), one of whom failed it twice (!!). My Bestigors then charge his Hammerers on the redirect, and my Raiders sneak by his Slayer and engage one of his Organ Guns. My Gors flub don't make their charge, and splish around in the swamp (losing a couple of guys). He manages to stuff my magic, so I'm a bit apprehensive about the combat to come. That said, I rolled well and he didn't, so I pasted him pretty good, but he holds (of course). Still, there's not much of a chance for him to recover, because his numbers are severely depleted.

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 4:

The Dwarves (predictably) rally, but his shooting can't do much because everyone important is in combat. He settles for trimming a handful of Ungors, and I finish his Hammerers off in the ensuing combat and reform - he tried his best to hide his Runelord from me, but I have him in my sights. My Raiders grind with his Organ Gun, to little effect.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 4:

I charge his Runelord with my Bestigors, try to spook his Warriors off my board (didn't work), lose a couple of Gors for my trouble, and flub the charge (boo). One squad of Raiders engages a Cannon. This magic phase sees him burn his Runes of Spellbreaking (he's gonna lose 'em anyway), so I don't get much to go. I slaughter his Runelord with my Beastlord, then reform to face his machines. My Ungors finish off the Organ Gun (finally!).

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 5:

His remaining Slayer charges a unit of Ungors, and his Warriors on the near side reform to face my Bestigors. A Cannon defies the odds and picks off my BSB (!), and he picks off a couple of Ungors with Crossbows. The Slayer easily beats the Ungors and puts them to flight.

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 5:

Once again, I manage to defy the odds - not only do I fail yet another charge with my Gors, they take enough casualties from the Swamp to take a Panic test (!), AND they manage to fail it (!!). My Bestigors charge a war machine and wipe it out easily, I put some Miasmas on the Dwarf Warrior unit, and my Ungors finish off the last remaining machine. Unfortunately for me, my depleted Bestigors are now facing a Horde, so it'll be tough sledding for me...

user posted image

Dwarf Turn 6:

The Slayer and the Warriors combo-charge my Bestigors, and the Dwarfs are greatly amused by the fleeing Beastmen. The ensuing fight sees me wipe out the Slayer, and put down a few Warriors, though plenty still survive. This is where the game gets decided...

user posted image

Beastmen Turn 6:

My Ungors rear-charge his Dwarf Warriors, my Gors fail to rally (!), but Miasmas combined with a rear-charge with prohibitive ranks sees me win the fight and drive the Warriors from the field.

MAJOR VICTORY FOR THE BEASTMEN!

Observations:

While seeing Dwarfs flee was cool, I'm reconsidering the Terrifying Mask at this point, because depending solely on my BSB for the Ld on the Gors is just not sound strategy. Plus, I felt that my supply of chaff was a bit limited.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on May 9 2012, 03:05 AM

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Battle Reports | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (7) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1454 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring