zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (27) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Re-Writing the Army Book, Just for fun
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 05:52 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,917

My unit prices are actually based on O&G's book, as they are quite similar to us from the stats perspective, and Choppas are arguably just as good as Primal Fury. I made the characters a bit more expensive than the Orcs', actually, to reflect that when they're in the unit, we grind a little better than Orcs. Elite troops across the game have ItP, especially in 8e - Black Orcs got it, Maneaters have the option for it, and Undead have it on everybody. Elite infantry has been either getting better or getting cheaper - I just picked a side.

I could consider Sniper on the Slythey Tongue. It would definitely enhance the Jabber's niche. The re-write on Aura of Madness also sounds appealing.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Feb 23 2012, 05:55 PM

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
Verminard
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 06:23 PM

Hound

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,289

Looks great! I would like to see a second banner in our list, maybe something themed for the bestigors (kinda like VC and TK have banners that you know belong with the upgraded banner for a special unit). I would absolutely run the Ghorgon like this, and probably a Cygor also. But I did want to point out that unless you have a rule somewhere you did make it possible to ambush with razorgor chariots on the lords and heroes. I don't know if that was intentional but it kind of surprised me.

For lore of Wild, changing and labeling some of the spells to be augments or hexes would be pretty solid to start with. I think that the signature spell should be some sort of lore attribute (that may be too good honestly but it doesn't feel very signature like) and I would love to see something that gave re rolls for primal fury in the spell list, or gave hatred to a unit (so you can tag the minotaurs or ghorgon with it) Just a few ideas.

Cheers
~Verminard
Myrdin
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:23 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 5,017

Forest strider for our charriots ? .... would make a lot of sense (even backed up with our lore).

--------------------
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen
Maelstrom
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 10:00 PM

I get one of these? Sweet.

Member No.: 90

Oooh yeah. 8th ed has some seriously cool terrain rules. Forrests can be pretty harsh though and would be nice if we ignored some of the worse aspects, we do live in the trees afterall.

--------------------
Grashnak said:
QUOTE (grashnak @ Feb 5 2006, 08:37 AM)
why is it ok to burn down the danish embassy?

Washed clean by the blood of the lamb.

user posted image
Jonaer
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 10:54 PM

Hound

Member No.: 3,908

I uploaded my own attempt at a rewrite some time back at Warseer: Here's a link to the thread and the pdf-file with the 'errata': http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...455#post6015455.

As a sample of the list, here's what I'd like the Lore of the Wild to look like.

Lore of the Wild

Bestial Surge (Lore Attribute): After resolving the effects of a successfully cast augment spell from the Lore of the Wild, one of the targeted units (or a unit including a targeted character) may make a move of up to D6" in the same way as a normal move made in the Remaining Moves sub-phase. A unit can only make this move once per turn.

Incite Rage (Signature Spell). Cast on 7+. Incite Rage is an augment spell with a range of 12". Until the start of the caster's next Magic phase, the target gains Primal Fury and is considered to automatically pass the corresponding Leadership test(s) to gain Hatred. Should the target already have Primal Fury, it will instead be considered to automatically pass the corresponding Leadership test(s) on a double 1, gaining both Hatred and Frenzy. The caster can choose to target all friendly units within 12". If he does so, the casting value is increased to 14+.

1. Viletide. Cast on 7+. Viletide is a magic missile with a range of 24" that causes 5D6 S1 hits. The caster can choose to extend the range of this spell to 48". If he does so, the casting value is increased to 10+.

2. Traitor-kin. Cast on 10+. Traitor-kin is a hex spell with a range of 24". The target suffers a -1 modifier to all its To Hit rolls (both shooting and close combat) until the start of the caster's next Magic phase. Shooting attacks that do not use Ballistic Skill must roll 4+ on a D6 before firing, or the shot(s) is lost. In addition, any close combat rolls To Hit of a 1 made by either a mount of any kind, monsters with handlers or creatures that pulls chariots in the unit will hit its own unit. The armour save bonuses for being mounted, and for barding and the like, are not used. The caster can choose to extend the range of this spell to 48". If he does so, the casting value is increased to 13+.

3. Bray-scream. Cast on 10+. Bray-scream is an augment spell with a range of 12" and is cast on a friendly character, which can be the Wizard himself. The target immediately makes a breath weapon attack, resolved at Strength 3, with no armour saves allowed. The caster may instead choose to boost the spell, in which case the targeted character may place the templates narrow end within 10" of itself, inside its forward arc and with the template pointed directly away from the character. Should the targeted character be in close combat, the boosted breath weapon attack will inflict an additional D6 hits. If the caster chooses to boost the spell, the casting value is increased to 15+.

4. Mantle of Ghorok. Cast on 10+. Mantle of Ghorok is an augment spell with a range of 12" and is cast on a friendly character, which can be the Wizard himself. The target gains +D6 Strength and +D6 Attacks (both to a maximum of 10) until the start of the caster's next Magic phase. Additionally, if double 6s are rolled, the target suffers a single wound with no saves of any kind allowed. The caster may instead choose to target all friendly characters within 12" (including himself). If he does so, the casting value is increased to 20+.

5. Devolve. Cast on 10+. Devolve is a direct damage spell with a range of 18". The Wizard rolls 2D6 and adds its Wizard Level to the score. For each point by which this score exceeds the target unit's Leadership, the target suffers a wound with no armour saves allowed. Wounds suffered are distributed as if from shooting. The Wizard can choose to extend the range of this spell to 36" and the number of dices he rolls to 3D6. If he does so, the casting value is increased to 15+.

6. Savage Dominion. Cast on 18+. Savage Dominion is a unique spell. The Wizard may immediately place a Cygor, Ghorgon, Giant or Jabberslythe with its base touching any table edge. This model is effectively part of the Beastmen army from that moment on. While the Wizard controls the beast, every time the beast suffers a wound, the Wizard must make a Toughness test. If this test is failed, the Wizard suffers a wound, with no saves of any kind allowed. If the Wizard is killed, the beast wanders back into the forest and is immediately removed from play (it counts as being killed for the purposes of victory conditions etc.). Note that the beast cannot be voluntarily dismissed by the Wizard, be dispelled by the enemy in
followings rounds nor can the Wizard choose to cast the spell again whilst the beast remains.

This post has been edited by Jonaer on Feb 23 2012, 11:07 PM
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 11:48 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Some good stuff in your re-write. It's reminded me that I should re-work the Scout and Ambush abilities a bit, and I think I like your version of Drunken more than mine. smile.gif

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Stonefalcon
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 01:09 AM

Minotaur

Member No.: 4,786

That rewrite is amazing, very well done. I'd love to get my local to allow those rules.

--------------------
Gorthek's Warherd of the Frozen Wastes
27 Wins, 3 Draws, 19 Losses
popisdead
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:10 AM

Van Goghbull

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 474

The things that bother me lately are:
Minotaurs should get a magical banner
Re-write the auto-pass Primal Fury banner to be "any doubles causes Frenzy"
Want the Ambush Rule to use the BRB (honestly I think we could have this happen with enough snail mail to Jervis).

--------------------
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:18 AM

Beastly Beastlord

If you think that will actually help, I'll print a version of this I'm happy with along with some rationale and send that bad boy over.

--------------------

DoomDuck
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 06:47 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,668

Give minotaurs magic banners. That's all iv ever wanted, is it so wrong to want to run a mino list? I mean the ogres get to have magic banners on everything just about.
If I could standard of discipline my Minos with a doombull as my general bubble of nine I'd be a happy camper. And it would mean playing with something other than bestigors.
Hircinus
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 06:57 AM

Foe Render

Member No.: 5,276

QUOTE (DoomDuck @ Feb 24 2012, 06:47 AM)
Give minotaurs magic banners. That's all iv ever wanted, is it so wrong to want to run a mino list? I mean the ogres get to have magic banners on everything just about.
If I could standard of discipline my Minos with a doombull as my general bubble of nine I'd be a happy camper. And it would mean playing with something other than bestigors.

Well Ogre Kingdoms are...full of Ogres and I think a whole mino. army might be too far off what Beastmen are. You still need something other than Minos. I thought they could take banners anyway *checks* oh, not magic ones.

:EDIT:

@Rothgar13
Whether you were joking or not just remember that Jervis and Co. are probably bombarded with these sorts of fan made revisions for army books and such might skim them but what happens afterwards is down to resources. They aren't going to pull some guys off something they're currently working on just to review the suggestions. Maybe they have people for that purpose, I dunno. Further refinement first though? Personally I have no idea how any of this would effect my Beastmen because I don't have any ( tongue.gif ) and i'll probably just spam Gors but I can say that this revision must look official if to be sent off. Limit of one pic, not in colour, pref on the front cover or inside back cover (trust me I did IT at school!). Split everything up, Include contents if large, explain each section not "just because" and keep it uniform. List the "names" of those involved. Rational is good.

(ugh, I think my brain can sense uni approaching sad.gif )

This post has been edited by Hircinus on Feb 24 2012, 07:23 AM

--------------------
Everything dies...

"And when the light shines in, does it mean I'm willing to see what makes me so ugly?"
BEASTMAN!
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 02:06 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,168

This is me simply saying which entry I preferred from the 2 lists we've seen and in some areas adding in my opinion.

Ambush - rothgar

Bloodgreed - rothgar

Drunken - rothgar

Primal Fury - rothgar

Gifts of Chaos - Rothgar, except Crown of Horns. I prefer Jonaer's purely because it's cheaper and on a balance level, potential of 3 4+ wards in the army seems ridiculous.

Magic Items - Jonaer, it still allows for all those synergies that most of us have grown to love. I'd say Horn of the Great Hunt could go and 30pts for the Axes is good.

Lore of the Wild - (until we've seen something from Rothgar or anyone else) Jonaer however, I think Incite Rage needs some work. I think this is purely because I liked Rothgars version of Primal fury and feel it may confuse things.

Bloodgreed - I really don't like Jonaer's idea for Bloodgreed. Counters make it confusing and Mino's will rarely get more than 3 attacks in a game anyway and at that point, the Mino's are near death, there are usually only characters left standing at this point unless it was chaff that was in thier way which is then generally used to redirect you which takes you off course and then a turn behind with them.

Doombull - Equipment costs altered which is fairly done however the Heavy armour option is cheaper for a Doombull than a Beastlord? I would say 8pts.

Beastlord - Rothgar

Great Bray - Rothgar, though 185 seems too cheap, I know it's not a lot different but, 190?
You based the list on O&G right? they are only limited to 1 lore, we have 4 to choose from.

Wargor - Rothgar, 75pts seems fairer?

Bray shaman - Rothgar

Gorebull - Rothgar however, why 115pts? That seems silly cheap. 130/140 perhaps? Also some of the equipment seems off points wise. Great weapon, 11pts? That's more than ours currently.

Command upgrades at 10pts a piece is fine in all regards and to be expected as with all future 8th ed releases.

Warhounds - Rothgar.
I think if the 'does not count toward minimum core' was removed, it would make Ungor Raiders near useless.

Gor herd - perhaps a middle ground of them both. 7pts each, hw & shield, 1/2pt for ahw?
Orc boyz start at 6pts at WS3, I2, M4 and come with light armour.

Ungor herd - I think they are fine as they are, though I think it should be free to swap to spears. It's tough because they are a lot better than common goblins (easy comparison) yet we would still have to pay up to 15pts more than we do currently due to the command upgrades.

Ungor Raiders - Rothgar

Tuskgor Chariot - I think is fine as is. Orc chariot (again easy comparison) has T5, I2, scythed wheels and Choppas on Orc crew only and are a Special choice. We have (in difference to the Orcs) Ws4, Primal Fury (including Tuskgor) and replace one crew for a Bestigor and in Core.

Special Units

Bestigor - Rothgar

Centigor - Rothgar

Minotaurs - Rothgar, Great weapons at 8pts seems rich to me. 6pts?

Razorgor herd - Rothgar

Razorgor Chariot - I do feel they are expensive, perhaps 135pts and adding +1 impact hit to account for the impact hit that a single Razorgor would give.

Giant - 200pts. Same as O&G

Cygor - Jonaer

Ghorgon - Both
Jonaer's Swallow whole and Strength from flesh
The rest, Rothgar however adding Regen and Impact hits, 250 seems too cheap now. 260?

Jabberslythe - Jonaer

Chaos Spawn - Rothgar, though I would change the Ward save to either Scaly skin or Regen. Seems more thematic.

Let the Brainstorming continue.
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 02:46 PM

Beastly Beastlord

The main reason why Heavy Armor is cheaper for a Doombull than it is for a Beastlord is that I gave them Light Armor on the house, so they've already "paid" for half of it, at least from my perspective. I used the Ogre Tyrant as a base for that one.

I know that O&G only get one Lore, but their guy costs a LOT less than ours, even with my trim. Lord-level Wizards have been getting cheaper.

The Gorebull I compare to the Bruiser (who costs 10 points less). Nearly identical statlines, with the only difference being Bloodgreed, so that's where the gap comes from.

+1 Impact Hit for the Razorcart is a pretty good idea, actually. I'll bump the price a bit and add that.

--------------------

Charistoph
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 03:22 PM

Minotaur

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (DoomDuck @ Feb 23 2012, 11:47 PM)

Sure, as soon as the Champion doesn't get to use a Magic Item instead.

That's the balance I've seen in the books, but I admit, I haven't gone through the hardbacks yet.
eastern barbarian
Posted: Feb 24 2012, 07:50 PM

Ungor

Member No.: 5,174

I really like the idea. I will go even further and say if it will end up as a nice, balanced book available in PDF then it will be allowed in tournaments organised in Brighton Warlords!!!

My comments so far though- I think chariots are too cheap. To compare boar chariots are 80 points and are worse that tuskgor ones and dont belong to the core! Rule of a thumb with fan books is that its better to overprice that to underprice something as its easier to be accepted by a wider public (and I reckon thats what you guys want right?).

Rune of the true beast- 25 points for 2+ ward save vs. most of stuff in the game? Sorry, ridiculously cheap!

Thats my first impressions after vague read.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (27) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0709 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring