InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (27) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

Re-Writing the Army Book, Just for fun
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 07:47 AM

Beastly Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,917

Hey all,

I was roaming some other forums a few days back, and I stumbled across something interesting, which was a community project to brainstorm ideas on how you would have re-written that book. I'm interested as to how folks here would tackle the issues that plague our book. I'd go with the following:

Special Rules:

As written in the book, with the following exceptions.

Beastmen Ambush: As per the Ambushers rule in the 8th edition BRB, with the following changes:

Units with this special rule are not forced to deploy using this special rule. Instead, up to half of the units in the army with the special rule (round down) can be deployed this way. Additionally, they can roll to see if they arrive on each of your turns (including Turn 1). Units with characters in them cannot deploy this way unless all characters in the unit also have the Beastmen Ambush special rule.

Bloodgreed: Units with this special rule start the game Frenzied, roll an additional dice (discarding the highest) when pursuing, and cannot overrun. Otherwise as written.

Disturbing Appearance: Enemy models suffer a -1 penalty to hit on ranged and close combat attacks against models with this special rule.

Drunken Bravado: Models with this special rule may re-roll any failed Primal Fury tests.

Heralds of Doom: Any friendly unit in base contact with the same enemy unit as one or more units with this special rule gains the Killing Blow special rule on any attacks directed against that enemy unit.

Incite: Models with this special rule (and any unit they join) automatically pass the first Primal Fury test in any close combat (they do not need to roll). This special rule has no effect on models that do not have the Primal Fury special rule.

Slythey Tongue: Units with this special rule have a shooting attack with the following profile:

Range - 18"
Strength - 5
Special Rules - Multiple Wounds (D3), Quick to Fire, Sniper

Swallow Whole: Whenever a model with this special rule slays an enemy model using its Killing Blow special rule, it regains one Wound lost earlier in the battle.

Thick Skinned: Models with this special rule grant +2 to the armor save of any model riding them, instead of the usual +1.

Tongue Lash: Units with this special rule have a shooting attack with the following profile:

Range - 12"
Strength - 4
Special Rules - Quick to Fire

Gifts and Magic Items:

Gifts of Chaos - We get the following list:
Crown of Horns - 80 points, Stubborn and 4+ Ward save.
Gnarled Hide - As written.
Gouge-Tusks - 10 points, otherwise as written.
Many-Limbed Fiend - 20 points, +1 Attack.
Rune of the True Beast - 25 points, 4+ Ward save against attacks from cavalry mounts, creatures drawing chariots, monsters, monstrous beasts, monstrous cavalry mounts, ridden monsters, or war beasts.
Shadow-Hide - 25 points, Characters Only, Scout special rule. May not be the army General.
Slug-Skin - 20 points, -1 to hit bearer in close combat.
Uncanny Senses - As written.

Magic Items - We keep a reduced list of items (par the course for 8e books):
Axes of Khorgor - 30 points, otherwise as written.
Blackened Plate - As written.
Chalice of Dark Rain - 25 points, otherwise as written.
Hagtree Fetish - As written.
Horn of the Great Hunt - Enchanted Item. 25 points, Wargor or Beastlord Only, One Use Only. A character with this item may choose to use it at the start of any of your Remaining Moves phases. If he does so, all rolls to determine if units with the Beastmen Ambush special rule appear on the table during this phase receive a +1 bonus.
Ramhorn Helm - As written.
Shard of the Herdstone - As written.
The Beast Banner - As written.
The Brass Cleaver - As written.

Lore of the Wild:

Lore Attribute: Savage Aggression. Whenever a spell from the Lore of the Wild is successfully cast, one unit within 24" of the caster may immediately move D6+1" toward the nearest enemy unit it can see. This movement follows all restrictions for normal movement.

0. Bestial Fury (Cast on 6+). This is an augment spell with a range of 12". One friendly unit within the spell's radius gains the Primal Fury special rule until the start of your next Magic Phase. If every member of the unit already has the Primal Fury special rule, the unit gains the Frenzy special rule until the start of your next Magic Phase instead. Models can benefit from this instance of Frenzy even if previously beaten in close combat. This spell may be augmented to affect all friendly units within 12". If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 12+.

1. Viletide (Cast on 6+). This is a magic missile spell with a range of 24". The target suffers 5D6 Strength 1 hits. This spell may be augmented to have a range of 48". If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 9+.

2. Devolve (Cast on 7+). This is a direct damage spell with a range of 24". Roll 2D6 and subtract the target unit's unmodified Leadership value from the total. The target unit suffers a number of wounds equal to the result, with no armor saves allowed. This spell may be augmented to roll 3D6 instead of 2D6. If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 10+.

3. Bray-Scream (Cast on 8+). This is an augment spell with a range of 12". One friendly character gains the Breath Weapon (Strength 3) special rule until the start of your next Magic Phase. No armor saves are allowed against wounds caused by this Breath Weapon. This spell can be augmented to cause Strength 4 hits instead. If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 12+.

4. Traitor-Kin (Cast on 10+). This is a direct damage spell with a range of 12". The target unit suffers D3 wounds per rank of 5 or more models, as the members of the unit start attacking each other. Hordes take D6 wounds per rank instead. No armor saves are allowed against wounds caused by this spell. This spell can be augmented to have a range of 24". If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 15+.

5. Mantle of Ghorok (Cast on 11+). This is an augment spell with a range of 12". One friendly character gains +D6 Strength and +D6 Attacks until the start of your next Magic Phase (roll separately for each attribute). If double 6's are rolled, the target takes one wound, with no armor saves allowed. This spell can be augmented to affect all friendly characters within 12". If cast in this way, the casting value is increased to 22+.

6. Savage Dominion (Cast on 18+). This spell allows you to bring your choice of a Cygor, Ghorgon, Giant, or Jabberslythe. The chosen monster appears on a table edge of your choice, and follows all the rules for reinforcements. This monster cannot be dispelled once he has arrived on the table, and does not provide any Victory Points if slain or pursued off the table. If the monster is slain, flees off the table, or if the caster is slain, the spell ends.

While the spell is active, the caster may not attack, channel, or cast spells. At the end of any phase when the monster takes one or more Wounds, the caster must pass a Toughness test or take a Wound, with no armor saves allowed.

Lords:

Beastlord
M 5, WS 6, BS 3, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 5, A 4, Ld 9
Special Rules: Incite, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Hand Weapon.
Unit Type: Infantry (Character).
Unit Size: 1.
Cost: 140 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+3 points), Great Weapon (+6 points), Halberd (+6 points), Heavy Armor (+6 points), Light Armor (+3 points), Shield (+3 points).
Mount Options: Razorgor (see Special section for details), Razorgor Chariot (see Special section for details, replaces Bestigor), Tuskgor Chariot (see Core section for details, replaces Bestigor). May have the Beastmen Ambush special rule (+15 points, may not be the army General).
Magic Items: May choose up to 100 points in magic items from the Warhammer Rulebook and the Beastmen Army Book lists.

Doombull
M 6, WS 6, BS 3, S 6, T 5, W 5, I 5, A 5, Ld 8
Special Rules: Bloodgreed, Fear, Impact Hits (D3), Slaughterer's Call.
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Light Armor.
Unit Type: Monstrous Infantry (Character).
Cost: 230 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+5 points), Great Weapon (+12 points), Heavy Armor (+5 points), Shield (+5 points).
Magic Items: May choose up to 100 points in magic items from the Warhammer Rulebook and the Beastmen Army Book lists.

Great Bray-Shaman
M 5, WS 5, BS 3, S 4, T 5, W 3, I 4, A 2, Ld 8
Special Rules: Primal Fury.
Cost: 185 points/model.
Magic: A Great Bray-Shaman is a Level 3 Wizard. He may choose spells from the Lore of Beasts, Lore of Death, Lore of Shadows, or Lore of the Wild.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+3 points), Level 4 Wizard (+35 points). May have the Beastmen Ambush special rule (+15 points, may not be the army General).
Mount Options: Razorgor Chariot (see Special section for details, replaces Bestigor), Tuskgor Chariot (see Core section for details, replaces Bestigor).

Heroes:

Bray-Shaman
M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T 4, W 2, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Cost: 75 points/model.
Magic: A Bray-Shaman is a Level 1 Wizard. He may choose spells from the Lore of Beasts, Lore of Death, Lore of Shadows, or Lore of the Wild.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+2 points), Level 2 Wizard (+35 points). May have the Beastmen Ambush special rule (+10 points, may not be the army General).
Mount Options: Razorgor Chariot (see Special section for details, replaces Bestigor), Tuskgor Chariot (see Core section for details, replaces Bestigor).
Magic Items: May choose up to 50 points in magic items from the Warhammer Rulebook and the Beastmen Army Book lists.

Gorebull
M 6, WS 5, BS 3, S 5, T 5, W 4, I 4, A 4, Ld 7
Special Rules: Bloodgreed, Fear, Impact Hits (D3), Slaughterer's Call.
Unit Type: Monstrous Infantry (Character).
Cost: 115 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+4 points), Great Weapon (+11 points), Heavy Armor (+4 points), Shield (+4 points). May take a Magic Standard (no points limit), but may not take magic items if he takes a Magic Standard.
Magic Items: May choose up to 50 points in magic items from the Warhammer Rulebook and the Beastmen Army Book lists.

Wargor
M 5, WS 5, BS 3, S 4, T 5, W 2, I 4, A 3, Ld 8
Special Rules: Incite, Primal Fury.
Cost: 70 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+2 points), Great Weapon (+4 points), Halberd (+4 points), Heavy Armor (+4 points), Light Armor (+2 points), Shield (+2 points). May be the Battle Standard-Bearer for +25 points. May take a Magic Standard (no points limit), but may not take magic items if he takes a Magic Standard. May have the Beastmen Ambush special rule (+10 points, may not be the army General).
Mount Options: Razorgor (see Special section for details), Razorgor Chariot (see Special section for details, replaces Bestigor), Tuskgor Chariot (see Core section for details, replaces Bestigor).

Warhoof
M 8, WS 5, BS 3, S 4, T 5, W 2, I 4, A 4, Ld 8
Special Rules: Drunken Bravado, Primal Fury.
Unit Type: Cavalry (Character).
Cost: 85 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Great Weapon (+6 points), Heavy Armor (+6 points), Light Armor (+3 points), Shield (+3 points), Spear (+3 points), Throwing Axes (+3 points). May have the Beastmen Ambush special rule (+15 points, may not be the army General).

Core:

Chaos Warhounds
M 7, WS 4, BS 0, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 5
Special Rules: None.
Equipment: Fangs (Hand Weapon).
Unit Type: War Beast.
Unit Size: 5+
Cost: 6 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Beastmen Ambush (+1 points/model), Poisoned Attacks (+1 points/model), Scaly Skin (6+) (+1 points/model).

Gor Herd
M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T 4, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Shield.
Unit Type: Infantry.
Unit Size: 10+
Cost: 7 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapons (+1 points/model). Standard-Bearer may take a Magic Standard of up to 25 points.
Command Options: Foe-Render (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Tuskgor Chariot
Chariot: M -, WS -, BS -, S 5, T 5, W 4, I -, A -, Ld -
Gor: M -, WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T -, W - , I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Bestigor: M -, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T -, W -, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Tuskgors: M 7, WS 3, BS -, S 4, T -, W -, I 2, A 1, Ld -
Equipment: Great Weapon (Bestigor Only), Spear (Gor Only), Tusks (Hand Weapon, Tuskgors Only).
Unit Type: Chariot (Armor Save 4+).
Unit Size: 1 Chariot, crewed by 1 Bestigor and 1 Gor, drawn by 2 Tuskgors.
Cost: 80 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Scythed Wheels (+5 points).

Ungor Herd
M 5, WS 3, BS 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 6
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Shield.
Cost: 5 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Spears (free swap).
Command Options: Halfhorn (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Ungor Raiders
M 5, WS 3, BS 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 6
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Primal Fury, Skirmisher.
Equipment: Bow, Hand Weapon.
Unit Size: 5-10.
Cost: 6 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Exchange Bows for Javelins and Shields (+1 points/model).
Command Options: Raider Halfhorn (+1 BS) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points.

Special:

Bestigor Herd
M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 3, A 1, Ld 8
Special Rules: Despoilers, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armor.
Cost: 12 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Halberds (free swap). Gouge-Horn may take a Magic Item or Gift of Chaos of up to 25 points, Standard-Bearer may take a Magic Standard of up to 50 points.
Command Options: Gouge-Horn (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Centigor Herd
M 8, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 3, A 2, Ld 7
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Drunken Bravado, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Light Armor, Shield, Spear.
Unit Type: Cavalry.
Unit Size: 5-15.
Cost: 18 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Great Weapons (+4 points/model), Heavy Armor (+2 points/model, lose Beastmen Ambush), Throwing Axes (+2 points/model).
Command Options: Gorehoof (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Harpies
M 5, WS 3, BS 0, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 5, A 2, Ld 6
Special Rules: Fly.
Equipment: Claws and talons (Hand Weapon).
Unit Size: 5-10.
Cost: 11 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Scouts (+3 points/model).

Minotaur Herd
M 6, WS 4, BS 3, S 5, T 4, W 3, I 3, A 3, Ld 7
Special Rules: Bloodgreed, Fear, Impact Hits (1).
Unit Type: Monstrous Infantry.
Unit Size: 3+
Cost: 45 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Additional Hand Weapon (+4 points/model), Great Weapon (+8 points/model), Heavy Armor (+4 points/model), Shield (+4 points/model). Bloodkine may take a Magic Item or a Gift of Chaos of up to 25 points, Standard-Bearer may take a Magic Standard of up to 50 points.
Command Options: Bloodkine (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Murder of Crows
M 2, WS 3, BS 0, S 2, T 2, W 5, I 4, A 5, Ld 4
Special Rules: Armor Piercing, Fly, Heralds of Doom.
Equipment: Beaks and Talons (Hand Weapon).
Unit Type: Swarm.
Unit Size: 2+
Cost: 30 points/base.
Upgrade Options: Vanguard (+5 points/base)

Razorgor Chariot
Chariot: M -, WS -, BS -, S 5, T 6, W 5, I -, A -, Ld -
Gor: M -, WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T -, W - , I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Bestigor: M -, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T -, W -, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Razorgor: M 7, WS 3, BS -, S 5, T -, W -, I 2, A 4, Ld -
Special Rules: Fear, Impact Hits (D6+1), Primal Fury, Thunderous Charge (Razorgor Only).
Equipment: Great Weapon (Bestigor Only), Spear (Gor Only), Tusks (Hand Weapon, Razorgor Only).
Unit Type: Chariot (Armor Save 4+).
Unit Size: 1 Chariot, crewed by 1 Bestigor and 1 Gor, drawn by 1 Razorgor.
Cost: 125 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Scythed Wheels (+5 points).

Razorgor Herd
M 7, WS 3, BS 0, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 2, A 4, Ld 6
Special Rules: Fear, Impact Hits (1), Thick Skinned, Thunderous Charge.
Equipment: Tusks (Hand Weapon).
Unit Type: Monstrous Beast.
Unit Size: 1+
Cost: 55 points/model.

Razorgor Riders
Razorgor Rider: M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T 4, W 1, I 3, A 2, Ld 8
Razorgor: M 7, WS 3, BS 0, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 2, A 4, Ld 6
Special Rules: Fear, Impact Hits (1), Primal Fury; Thick Skinned, Thunderous Charge (Razorgor Only).
Equipment: Heavy Armor, Spear (Razorgor Rider); Tusks (Razorgor).
Unit Type: Monstrous Cavalry.
Unit Size: 3+
Cost: 65 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Great Weapons (+5 points/model), Halberds (+5 points/model).
Command Options: Razorgor Herder (+1 A) for +10 points, Musician for +10 points, Standard-Bearer for +10 points.

Rare:

Chaos Spawn
M 2D6, WS 3, BS 0, S 4, T 5, W 3, I 2, A D6+1, Ld 10
Special Rules: Fear, Random Attacks (D6+1), Random Movement (2D6), Unbreakable.
Equipment: Claws and tentacles (Hand Weapon).
Unit Type: Monstrous Beast.
Cost: 50 points/model.
Upgrade Options: Random Movement (3D6) (+5 points).

Cygor
M 6, WS 3, BS 3, S 6, T 5, W 5, I 3, A 5, Ld 10
Special Rules: Ghostsight, Hurl Rocks, Large Target, Magic Resistance (2), Soul-Eater, Stubborn, Terror, Ward Save (5+).
Equipment: Horns and fists (Hand Weapon).
Unit Type: Monster.
Cost: 225 points/model.

Giant
M 6, WS 3, BS 3, S 6, T 5, W 6, I 3, A special, Ld 10
Special Rules: Giant Special Attacks, Large Target, Stubborn, Terror.
Equipment: Club (Hand Weapon).
Cost: 200 points/model.

Ghorgon
M 7, WS 4, BS 0, S 6, T 6, W 6, I 3, A 6, Ld 10
Special Rules: Bloodgreed, Impact Hits (D6), Immune to Psychology, Killing Blow, Large Target, Regeneration, Stubborn, Swallow Whole, Terror.
Equipment: Cleaver-limbs (Hand Weapon).
Cost: 250 points/model.

Jabberslythe
M 8, WS 4, BS 0, S 5, T 5, W 5, I 4, A 5, Ld 10
Special Rules: Aura of Madness, Disturbing Appearance, Fly, Immune to Psychology, Poisoned Attacks, Regeneration, Scaly Skin (4+), Slythey Tongue, Spurting Bile-Blood, Stubborn, Terror.
Equipment: Claws and tentacles (Hand Weapon).
Cost: 275 points/model.

Special Characters - Lords:

Gorthor the Cruel
Gorthor: M 5, WS 7, BS 3, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 5, A 5, Ld 10
Chariot: M -, WS -, BS -, S 5, T 5, W 4, I -, A -, Ld -
Bagrar: M -, WS 4, BS -, S 4, T -, W -, I 4, A 2, Ld 8
Tuskgors: M 7, WS 3, BS -, S 4, T -, W -, I 2, A 1, Ld -
Special Rules: Favored of the Dark Gods, Immune to Psychology, Primal Fury, Terror.
Unit Type: Infantry (Special Character; Beastlord); Chariot (Armor Save 4+).
Unit Size: Gorthor, mounted on a Tuskgor Chariot, crewed by Bagrar, drawn by 2 Tuskgors.
Equipment: Cloak of the Beastlord, Impaler, Heavy Armor, Scythed Wheels, Skull of Mugrar (Gorthor); Spear (Bagrar); Tusks (Tuskgors).
Cost: 400 points.
Upgrade Options: May be mounted on a Razorgor Chariot instead of a Tuskgor Chariot (+50 points, Gorthor and Bagrar replace both crew).

Bagrar: Bagrar is Gorthor's personal charioteer, and has the improved profile presented above.

Favored of the Dark Gods: At the beginning of each of your friendly Magic Phases, roll a D6 and consult the Lore of Death in the Warhammer rulebook. Gorthor may cast the spell corresponding to that D6 roll as a Bound Spell with a level equal to one-half the casting cost of the spell.

Impaler: Magic Weapon. Requires Two Hands. This magic weapon has the Killing Blow and Multiple Wounds (D3) special rules. In addition, close combat attacks made with it on a turn that Gorthor charges are made at +1 Strength.

Cloak of the Beastlord: Magic Talisman. This item grants Gorthor a 4+ Ward save and the Immune to Psychology special rule. In addition, it increases the range of Gorthor's Inspiring Presence special rule to 18".

Skull of Mugrar: Enchanted Item. Gorthor's chariot causes Terror. Additionally, any attacks against Gorthor or his chariot at a Strength higher than 5 are counted as Strength 5. This item also grants Gorthor and his chariot immunity to the Multiple Wounds special rule. Note that this item is part of Gorthor's chariot, and is thus lost if the chariot is destroyed.

Khazrak the One-Eye
M 5, WS 7, BS 1, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 5, A 5, Ld 9
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Bestial Cunning, Incite, Master of Hounds, Primal Fury.
Unit Type: Infantry (Special Character; Beastlord)
Equipment: Hand Weapon, Scourge, The Dark Mail.
Cost: 250 points.

Bestial Cunning: Khazrak may be your army General, even though he has the Beastmen Ambush special rule. Additionally, units in the same army as Khazrak with the Beastmen Ambush special rule may re-roll the dice when determining if they enter play.

Master of Hounds: If Khazrak is your General, units of Chaos Warhounds are treated as having a Leadership value of 6.

Scourge: Magic Weapon. Khazrak fights with this weapon and an additional hand weapon (extra attack included in the profile above). All attacks made by Khazrak in close combat have the Armor Piercing special rule. Khazrak may forgo his normal Attacks and instead make an attack for every enemy model in the front rank of a unit he is in base contact with. These attacks always target the unit, and are distributed as shooting. This special ability cannot be used in a challenge.

The Dark Mail: Magic Armor. This armor grants Khazrak a 2+ armor save, and immunity to the Killing Blow special rule. Additionally, any magic and runic weapons used by enemy models in base contact with Khazrak have no effect - treat them as non-magical weapons of their type.

Malagor, the Dark Omen
M 5, WS 5, BS 3, S 4, T 5, W 3, I 4, A 2, Ld 8
Special Rules: Fly, Loremaster (Lore of the Wild), Primal Fury, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Unholy Power.
Unit Type: Infantry (Special Character; Great Bray-Shaman).
Equipment: Icons of Vilification.
Cost: 350 points.

Magic: Malagor is a Level 4 Wizard.

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Enemy units within 6" of Malagor may not use the General's Inspiring Presence special rule.

Unholy Power: Malagor has a 4+ Ward save. Additionally, every spell that he successfully casts in a Magic phase gives him a cumulative +1 bonus to further casting attempts during that phase.

Icons of Vilification: Units within 6" of Malagor become Frenzied on a Primal Fury test result of any double, as long as they have passed the test.

Morghur
M 3D6, WS 6, BS 3, S 5, T 5, W 4, I 5, A 2D6, Ld 10
Special Rules: Aura of Transmutation, Primal Fury, Random Attacks (2D6), Random Movement (3D6), Reign of Madness, Spirit-Essence of Chaos, Terror, Unbreakable, Ward Save (4+).
Unit Type: Unique (Special Character).
Equipment: Skull-Weave, Staff of Morghur.
Cost: 360 points.

Aura of Transmutation: Morghur cannot be harmed in any way by shooting attacks or spells, unless the attack or spell originates from within 12" of him. Additionally, enemy models in base contact with Morghur take an S5 hit at the start of the Close Combat phase, with no armor saves allowed. Morghur may not join units.

Reign of Madness: Friendly units within 6" of Morghur are subject to the Frenzy special rule. If those units are subject to the Bloodgreed special rule, they instead receive one additional attack (just as if they had won a round of close combat). Additionally, models within 6" of Morghur cannot lose the Frenzy special ability, even if beaten in close combat.

Skull-Weave: Enchanted Item. Morghur causes Terror, and close combat attacks made against him are at -1 to hit.

Spirit-Essence of Chaos: At the beginning of each of your turns, you may choose to remove a friendly model within 12" of Morghur from play. If you do, roll a D6. On a 3+, you may place a Chaos Spawn model anywhere within 12" of Morghur, provided there is space for the model and you have an appropriate model available (if either of these requisites is not met, the model cannot be placed). This Chaos Spawn does not provide the enemy with Victory Points if slain.

Staff of Morghur: Magic Weapon. Requires Two Hands. Whenever Morghur inflicts an unsaved wound against an enemy model and the model is not slain, the enemy model must pass a Toughness test or undergo a gruesome transformation that slays the enemy model and places a Chaos Spawn into play under your control. Chaos Spawn created in this way must be placed within 6" of Morghur, provided there is space for the model and you have an appropriate model available (if either of these requisites is not met, the model cannot be placed). This Chaos Spawn does not provide the enemy with Victory Points if slain.

Taurox, the Brass Bull
M 6, WS 6, BS 3, S 6, T 6, W 5, I 5, A 6, Ld 8
Special Rules: Bloodgreed, Brass Body, Impact Hits (D3+1), Slaughterer's Call, Terror.
Equipment: Rune-tortured Axes.
Unit Type: Monstrous Infantry (Special Character; Doombull).
Cost: 335 points.

Brass Body: Taurox has a 1+ armor save. However, if he suffers an unsaved wound from an attack that hit him on a natural roll of "6", and wounded him on a natural roll of "6", he will be slain instantly.

Rune-tortured Axes: Magic Weapon. Paired Weapons (extra Attack included in the profile above). Attacks with these axes are Flaming Attacks and ignore armor saves.

Special Characters - Heroes:

Ghorros Warhoof
M 8, WS 6, BS 3, S 5, T 5, W 2, I 4, A 4, Ld 8
Special Rules: Drunken Bravado, Primal Fury, Sons of Ghorros.
Equipment: Heavy Armor, Mansmasher, Skull of the Unicorn Lord.
Unit Type: Cavalry (Special Character; Warhoof).
Cost: 175 points.

Father of Beasts: If Ghorros is slain, all Beastmen units in the army receive +1 Leadership when making Primal Fury tests.

Mansmasher: Magic Weapon. Requires Two Hands. This weapon has the Multiple Wounds (D3) special rule.

Skull of the Unicorn Lord: Enchanted Item. This item grants Ghorros a 5+ Ward save and Magic Resistance (2). However, all units in a Wood Elf army gain the Hatred special rule against Ghorros and his unit.

Sons of Ghorros: Ghorros must always be accompanied by a unit of Centigors, and may join no other unit. The Sons of Ghorros are a unit of Centigors that have +1 Weapon Skill. While any member of the unit is still alive (including the unit champion, if any), Ghorros benefits from a Look Out Sir! roll against any applicable attack.

Moonclaw, Son of Morrslieb
Moonclaw: M 5, WS 4, BS 4, S 4, T 4, W 2, I 3, A 3, Ld 7
Umbralok: M 7, WS 4, BS 0, S 5, T 4, W 3, I 3, A 3, Ld 6
Special Rules: Immune to Psychology, Primal Fury, Ward of Morrslieb, Wave of Insanity, Scaly Skin (5+) (Moonclaw); Fear, Thick-Skinned (Umbralok)
Equipment: Staff of the Moon (Moonclaw); Teeth and Claws (Umbralok).
Unit Type: Infantry (Special Character; Moonclaw); Monstrous Beast (Umbralok).
Cost: 175 points.
Upgrade Options: May ride Umbralok (+50 points).

Magic: Moonclaw is a Level 2 Wizard that generates spells from the Lore of Heavens. He automatically knows the spell Comet of Cassandora, and the other is rolled as normal.

Staff of the Moon: Magic Weapon. Requires Two Hands. This weapon confers the Always Strikes Last special rule in close combat, and attacks made using it are at +2 Strength. It is also a shooting weapon with the following profile:

Range - 24"
Strength - 4
Special Rules - Armor Piercing, Ignores Cover, Multiple Shots (D6), Quick to Fire

Thick-Skinned: Umbralok adds +2 to Moonclaw's armor save, instead of +1.

Ward of Morrslieb: Moonclaw has a 5+ Ward save and Magic Resistance (3).

Wave of Insanity: Enemy units within 12" of Moonclaw are subject to the Stupidity special rule.

Slugtongue
M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T 4, W 2, I 3, A 1, Ld 7
Special Rules: Curse of the Famine-Fiend, Fear, Poisoned Attacks, Primal Fury, Regeneration
Equipment: Doomstaff.
Cost: 200 points

Magic: Slugtongue is a L2 Wizard that can generate spells from the Lore of the Wild or the Lore of Death.

Curse of the Famine-Fiend - During deployment, roll a D6 for each enemy unit and consult the following chart:

1: No effect.
2-4: The unit suffers D3 wounds, with no armor save allowed.
5-6: The unit suffers D6 wounds, with no armor save allowed.

Doomstaff: Arcane Item. This item allows Slugtongue to re-roll the dice when determining the number of hits caused by any direct damage spell he casts.

Ungrol Four-Horn
M 5, WS 4, BS 3, S 4, T 4, W 2, I 4, A 3, Ld 7
Special Rules: Beastmen Ambush, Bruised and Bitter, Primal Fury.
Equipment: Heavy Armor, The Stolen Crowns, Two Hand Weapons.
Unit Type: Infantry (Special Character; Ungor).
Cost: 80 points.

Bruised and Bitter: Ungrol may re-roll any Fear, Panic, or Primal Fury tests. However, Ungrol may not be the General, and he cannot use the General's Inspiring Presence special ability. This ability extends to any unit joined by Ungrol.

The Stolen Crowns: Enchanted Item. At the beginning of each of your turns, you may choose one of the following benefits until the start of your next turn:

Spirit of the Chieftain - Ungrol gains +2 Weapon Skill and +1 Strength.
Spirit of the Shaman - Ungrol becomes a Level 1 Wizard, generating spells from the Lore of the Wild (roll for spells each time you choose this ability).

I figured we could brainstorm over these together, and feel free to add your own ideas. So... what do you think? smile.gif

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on May 9 2013, 07:38 PM

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
Stonefalcon
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 08:06 AM

Minotaur

Member No.: 4,786

This makes an awesome beginning for a massive chariot and razorgor herd based army. I love the idea of fielding 10 tuskgor chariots for my core.

--------------------
Gorthek's Warherd of the Frozen Wastes
27 Wins, 3 Draws, 19 Losses
Scarr, man-hunter
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 08:14 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,570

The Ghorgon would be nearly as powerful as the Hell Pit Abomination with those rules against those armies that have problems with HPA's already.

--------------------
If trees fall, I will groan.
If houses fall, I would have known.
After all this I still cannot see
why my lands don't belong to me.
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 08:19 AM

Beastly Beastlord

I don't think it's quite as bad as the A-bomb. It doesn't have the offense. You can't really compare 7 attacks with the potential to grow as he wins rounds of combat to anything on that attack chart.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Feb 23 2012, 08:19 AM

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Scarr, man-hunter
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 08:28 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,570

No but the HPA is pretty inflated. Still I would not mind much for that Ghorgons. Would probably make them been seen a LOT more though, which in turn is fine.

--------------------
If trees fall, I will groan.
If houses fall, I would have known.
After all this I still cannot see
why my lands don't belong to me.
BEASTMAN!
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 08:44 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,168

A lot of the Wild spells are good thematically, I just think the casting costs are off and the abilties need tweeking. Things like Devolve and the Aura of madness should just test on their own un modified and BSB re-rollable ld test. Change Traitor-kin and the rest are cool. It would need an Attribute too.
Now that Hagtree's gone, Viletide could either be 5d6 st1 no armour saves or just 4d6 str 2?
Bestial Surge can allow you to move into combat as if charged?
Misfratz
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 09:57 AM

Gorebull

Member No.: 744

Does anyone have ideas of new stuff that could be added to the list, as well as how to tweak what is already there?

Thematically, I was thinking that something like a flock of crows would work - so a flying swarm like Bats in the Vampire Counts list. Not sure what points or stats would be.

I feel like giving Beastmen Ambush to Centigors is too strong. What I would like is to have a generic Centigor character added to the list. I would also move Centigors to core and add a new unit of Besti-Centi-gors to special. Thus making Centigor-themed armies easier to do. This would fit very well with a cool plastic kit for Centigors, of course.

There are also a couple of things from the 6th edition army book that I'd like to see back - a braystaff for the Bray-Shamans and Dragon Ogres.

--------------------
Elucidate, Enumerate, Eviscerate
---
Apparently, I now have a blog for my miniatures. I can't promise any pictures of my Beastmen for a while though.
Hircinus
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 10:18 AM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,276

QUOTE (rothgar13 @ Feb 23 2012, 07:47 AM)
Beastmen Ambush: As per the Ambushers rule in the 8th edition BRB, with a couple of tweaks. The first one is that you're not forced to ambush any units, and can only choose to ambush half of the units that have this special rule (rounding down). Units with characters in them cannot be sent into ambush.

Then how about an item that allows characters to ambush? Or that allows them to come in whenever you want?

:EDIT:

I feel like giving Beastmen Ambush to Centigors is too strong.

Yes. Much too. I think they should be cheaper though, but have a max pack size.

:2ND EDIT:

Oh, and what about specific gifts of chaos. Some are in a bit of a grey area and just seem like general mutations rather than favours from the dark gods.

This post has been edited by Hircinus on Feb 23 2012, 10:29 AM

--------------------
Everything dies...

"And when the light shines in, does it mean I'm willing to see what makes me so ugly?"
Gojiragor
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 11:16 AM

Pedantic Beastlord

Member No.: 3,753

Very sensible entries. You avoided the trap of an omgbbq ghorgon that kills armies on a 4+ and costs a point. happy.gif

Even if we had this, we would'nt be overpowered, it's quite clear from even a semi knowledge of the game, yet GW still let our book slip through with apparently no testing of any substance. Sad pandagor.

--------------------
user posted image
-Beastmen, probably the best army in the world.

Best website on the internet. http://godzillahaiku.tumblr.com/
http://www.hobbycraic.com The Irish Warhammer Podcast.
Maelstrom
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 11:30 AM

I get one of these? Sweet.

Member No.: 90

I hate/love these threads. I get really excited about everything I see and then get sad that I can't have it...

I think the points tweaks are really good but if you are going to give ambush to centigor they need to be higher in points.

Regen and 4+ KB D3 wounds back on the ghorgon might be a bit much?

I really really want a return of marks. A toned down version of the WoC ones would be fine I just want em back sad.gif I think that immune to psyc on the bestigors is a bit OP if they stay the same points but giving them the option of it for 20 pts by marking them with slaanesh would be fine.

--------------------
Grashnak said:
QUOTE (grashnak @ Feb 5 2006, 08:37 AM)
why is it ok to burn down the danish embassy?

Washed clean by the blood of the lamb.

user posted image
Myrdin
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 12:31 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 5,017

Gors for the same price but with light armor equipped would be nice. Would you actually make thing about if the shield is still soo uselles or not. Being able to equip them halberds for 1 point would be nice as well.
No point in taking ungors if gors would be 6 pts.

And Ungor skirmisher 5-20 would be something nice as well.

And Primal Fury as a racial ability - means harpies razorgors etc, and other beast (beside minos, if they had PF it would be super eppic)

ITP aint that much. You know what would be much ? to have a 2A bestigor (which is the same cost as black guard, or swordsmen, just that he is ASL), now this would make some people cry i guess tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Myrdin on Feb 23 2012, 01:52 PM

--------------------
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen
sexy beast
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 01:37 PM

Wrinklestiltskin

Member No.: 209

I like the old BoC rules for ambushing half the units with the special rule. Personally I'd like to see ambush as an (buyable) upgrade for wargors as well.

Ambushing warhounds yah, ambushing centigors nay!
For me ambush should be reserved for rabble not "elite" units.

Magic banners: I'd go with a 25pts banner for a gor herd, a 50pts banner for minotaurs.

--------------------
- Ignore the post above, the poster will change his mind in about 5 minutes time -

user posted image
rothgar13
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 04:38 PM

Beastly Beastlord

All right, time to justify some of my choices here.

If you notice, I didn't really trim the Ghorgon's price - he's still quite expensive. The idea behind the neo-Ghorgon is to be a durable monster that can actually stand and bang with regiments, something that is all too rare, IMO. We're all in agreement that the ones that can are overpowered and underpriced (Hydra and A-Bomb), so I jacked up the price and toned down the offense a bit as compared to them. You'll see a lot more of them roaming around with this change, and that's the point - you don't see many around right now, and that's not something I think is a good thing.

Regarding Centigor with Ambush... I think it makes them more useful, which is a good thing, because I don't feel like giving them more armor is a particularly good fit thematically. Plus, the fluff regards them as the swift messengers of the Beastmen - it was either this or Fast Cav. I can put a size cap on the unit if you feel that ambushing Hordes of Centigor would be over the top (I don't - that unit costs a gajillion points, and you need another unit with the Ambush rule just to be able to sneak it up on people!).

I'm surprised that my edited Spawn has gotten no love. He moves 3D6 and has a 5+ Ward - don't you think that makes him worth fielding? I'll also add Beastmen Ambush to characters as an upgrade.

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Feb 23 2012, 05:10 PM

--------------------

8bit Mummies
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 05:20 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 3,615

Cool ideas all around.

My changes would be pretty simple:

- Gors come with shields. I think the setup would see more play, and my army would get 40 more points to play with. smile.gif

- Warhounds have Ambush and count towards minimum core.

- Braystaff a la old BoC rules comes stock on our GBS.

- Ungor Raiders can reroll Ambush results. Bigger units would spend more time thrashing through the undergrowth and potentially move off course, but these little packs of practiced Ungors should be more reliable.

- Ditch the annoying and (in my opinion) useless ability to give a gift to a Bestigor champion.

Cheaper Minos/Centigors would be sensible and awesome, but I'm unsure what the adjustment should be. Maybe just the magic banner capability on Minotaurs would give them a boost? Or T5? Heavy Armor?

I agree, Lore of the Wild should be given a lore attribute. Bestial Surge for one friendly unit of caster's choice within a certain radius? Perhaps the Hagtree Fetish effect on one enemy unit for that turn? No idea. Devolve tests on unmodified Leadership.

I know our monsters have been discussed into oblivion but a user on Warseer submitted this very sound rewrite:

Ghorgon- 250pts

M7, WS4, BS0, S6, T6, W6, I3, A6, Ld10

Frenzy, Immune to Psychology, Large Target, Stubborn, Terror, Bloodgreed, Impact Hits (D6).

Swallow Whole- - All of a Ghorgons close combat attacks gain the Killing Blow Property, as the foe is devoured in a spectacularly messy frenzy!
Strength from Flesh- Each time the Ghorgon scores a Killing Blow, roll a dice. On a 4+ it immediately regains a wound. This may not take it above its starting value.

Cygor- 235pts

M7, WS2, BS1, S6, T5, W6, I3, A5, Ld8

Immune to Psychology, Large Target, Magic Resistance (3), Stubborn, Terror, Magical Attacks.

Ghostsight- When fighting enemy Wizards, Undead, or any model with some sort of magical weapon, magical attacks or a ward save, the Cygor may reroll missed attacks.
Hurl Attack- A Cygor may shoot as if it were a Stone Thrower, with no minimum range and Magical attacks. It may move and shoot, but not march in the same turn. If a Misfire is rolled, the Cygor suffers a single wound. If the template is aimed at a magical enemy (See Ghostsight), you may reroll the scatter dice.
Soul-Eater- Any wizard within 24" of a Cygor will suffer a Miscast if they roll 2 or more '1's when casting a spell. The spell automatically fails and will not benefit from Irresistable Force.
Magical Invigoration- The Cygor has a Ward save depending on how heavily the winds of magic are blowing. After rolling for the Winds of Magic, the Cygor gains a Ward Save. This will last until the beginning of the next Magic phase. 2-4 dice give no save at all, 5-8 dice give a 6+ save. 9-11 give a 5+ save, and 12 gives a mighty 4+ save!

Jabberslythe- 220pts

M8, WS4, BS4, S5, T5, W5, I3, A5, Ld9

Fly, Immune to Psychology, Large Target, Poisoned Attacks, Terror.

Aura of Madness- Each unit within 12" of a Jabberslythe at the start of the Beastman magic phase is faced with a wave of insanity. Roll 2D6 and subtract the units Ld, ignoring any bonuses from Inspiring Presence. The unit will suffer this many wounds, ignoring armour saves.
Slythey Tongue- The Jabberslythe has a shooting attack with Range 12", S5 and the 'Sniper' property.
Spurting Bile Blood- For every wound a Jabberslythe suffers in close combat, the unit who inflicted it will suffer an immediate S5 hit. This is randomised as shooting. If it should suffer more wounds than it has remaining, they will still generate hits.
Hard to look at- All attacks against the Jabberslythe, in both shooting and close combat, suffer -1 to hit.
Rank hide- The Jabberslythe has a 5+ scaly skin save.

EDIT: I really dig your idea for Spawn, rothgar13. That would be awesome! Giving them the 'Tide of Spawn' capability used in the epic battle at the end of the BRB would be cool, too.

This post has been edited by 8bit Mummies on Feb 23 2012, 05:45 PM
belenus
Posted: Feb 23 2012, 05:40 PM

Gor

Group: Members
Member No.: 394

Thats quite a nice list smile.gif

Maybe we could add something to the Slythey Tongue attack of the Jabberslythe. As I understand right now it is just a shooting attack (with -1 to hit for long range above 6 inches even) but in the description it says something about dragging the target to the Jabberslythe. Combine it with the Sniper special rule and we have an interesting option.

In my opinion some of the options on the list are too cheap pts wise, which I think stems from undervalueing the Primal Fury special rule. I would raise the wargor price by about 5 pts, the tuskor chariot is WAY to cheap being a core chariot with Primal Fury and giving bestigors ItP for free seems very wrong as well wink.gif

Btw I would love to play your versions of the chaos spawn, in the old book I always took 1-3.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (27) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.2358 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring