InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Dreadfleet
RedSquid
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 09:32 AM

Doombull

Group: Member
Member No.: 693

Hey everone,

I've been inactive for quite some time, but I got a mail from games-workshop about Dreadfleet.
Does anybody have any thoughts on it? Should it be worth it, or is it probably not as interesting as it seems?
I like the fact that it's a game right out of the box, no add ons and it's playable from 2 to 10 players...

What are other thoughts on it? The price is a bit on the high side though...

--------------------
Check the progress of my Warhammer hobby projects here : Red Squid's Painting Log
mrtn
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 10:00 AM

Retrophrenologist

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1,341

They've been very secretive about it, so not even the usual rumour people on Warseer knows a lot about it. I'm not sure I want to pay the Swedish price for it, I'll see if it turns up on Maelstrom Games.

--------------------
Shadespyre
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 10:05 AM

Doombull

Member No.: 4,547

There's been no pre-amble to this at all, except for a mysterious "Wanted" poster in last month's White Dwarf.

There is at least a description and list of box contents on GW website now. 70 is a lot for a game you know nothing about though!!!

--------------------
RedSquid
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 10:12 AM

Doombull

Member No.: 693

Thanks for the replies, I couldn't find any more information on it either. I watched the movie and all the pictures and I like what I see, but I couldn't really figure out whether the game itself would be fun. Only vague ideas on how it works.
I'd like a review or something tongue.gif
For me it would be 90 euros, also a lot of money...

I'm hoping some more information will come soon, or someone who knows more comes forward soon...

--------------------
Check the progress of my Warhammer hobby projects here : Red Squid's Painting Log
Plaguebeast
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 12:24 PM

The Pessimistic Raven

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 78

I've already pre-ordered a copy. It looks fun, and I'm looking forward to reading some nautical fluff biggrin.gif. It is expensive and I may regret the purchase once I open the box... But right now, I don't care. Something cool and new!

Plaguebeast

--------------------
$AU69.00 FOR 10 PLASTIC BESTIGOLDS? PLAGUEBEAST SAYS "NO!"

I kissed a Pumbagor and I liked it!!!

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"

To taste the wisdom of the Oni, be prepared to salt it with your blood.
Beastlord Karankawa
Posted: Sep 17 2011, 02:57 PM

Mr. Primitive screw-head

Member No.: 66

Impressive models and sure the rules are nice, but I doubt I could find anyone around to play. sad.gif

--------------------
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. -- Romans 12:17-18
popisdead
Posted: Sep 20 2011, 07:14 PM

Van Goghbull

Member No.: 474

QUOTE (Beastlord Karankawa @ Sep 17 2011, 07:57 AM)
Impressive models and sure the rules are nice, but I doubt I could find anyone around to play. sad.gif

I've played only a handful of Space Hulk games which is why I didn't buy Dreadfleet. I bet it's a great game too.

--------------------
ungorlucky
Posted: Sep 23 2011, 01:33 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 2,384

I've not posted on here for some time but as a self contained game it does at the moment interest me but I don't think I will rush out and buy it. I will take my time and listen to reviews before I buy coffee.gif
Kawazu
Posted: Sep 23 2011, 03:09 PM

I am the table

Member No.: 3,459

The models are meh, tbh. 90 is a lot of money, but if the rules are decent... however I hate this "while stock lasts" policy.

--------------------
user posted image
TheComet
Posted: Oct 2 2011, 01:49 AM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,001

watched a demo of this today at the local shop, seems alright but I doubt it'll be something I'd drop a bunch of money into...

those ships are a b!@# to glue :X

ps: Skaven ship is ftw.

--------------------
"Hello my name is Moonclaw, and it is my sworn duty to wander aimlessly across the field and reduce my opponents to a swarm of morons."
Misfratz
Posted: Oct 3 2011, 11:15 AM

Gorebull

Member No.: 744

I picked up my box yesterday, but only had time to put together the Curse of Zandri and flick through the rules.

The ship models are excellent, and everything seems to ooze quality, but the real test will be how long it takes us to work out how to play. Having said that, the detail is so fine that you have to be careful, otherwise some parts will break.

Everyone wants to pain the Seadrake so as to paint the dragons..

--------------------
Elucidate, Enumerate, Eviscerate
---
Apparently, I now have a blog for my miniatures. I can't promise any pictures of my Beastmen for a while though.
Haxogor
Posted: Oct 3 2011, 03:58 PM

Foe Render

Member No.: 5,048

I didn't see the point in getting it. It will be played in stores for a few months then it will fade to being another game on the shelf at home. Unless you're part of a strong gaming community then you may not get much chance to play it again.

I would have much preferred GW to have redone Blood Bowl or BFG or even gone as far back to remake Man O War but the policy to make a complete game in a box seems to me like they're saying 'Ooo look at this for a bit, it's shiny and fun but we don't want to make any more for it!'

However, two bonuses from the game IMO are the Chaos Dwarfs are fighting for survival still (woooo!) and Araby has stepped into the light as a fighting force rather than just fluff. Now make them into full standing armies thank you please GW!
gjnoronh
Posted: Oct 4 2011, 10:31 AM

Doombull

Member No.: 646

I think you look at this like a board game rather than a miniatures game.

I have OOP board games that are amongst our gaming groups favorites - years and years after their release. Strong rules and production values matter. Self contained game in a box - teach new players the rules, and old players find enough depth to enjoy replays.

Traditional miniature games as we all know them depend on finding opponents and an ongoing production cycle generating new opponents.

Board games don't

Misfratz
Posted: Oct 4 2011, 11:14 AM

Gorebull

Member No.: 744

@Haxogor - I'm not sure you should be too excited by the Chaos Dwarf appearance in Dreadfleet. He is more like a renegade Dwarf than a member of an alternate civilisation - he used to be a normal Dwarf engineer in Barak Varr; he is the sole crew member for his Kraken ship.

That seems to me more like a way of seeing Chaos Dwarfs as a numerically small band of mercenaries, outcasts from mainstream Dwarf society - quite far removed from the old conception of Chaos Dwarfs as a fully fledged civilisation with cities and large armies.

So Dwarfs who have gone bad are still part of the Warhammer world, but I don't see much prospect for an army book.

@gjnoronh - That would be my hope, but I worry that the rules are too complicated for it to be the case. For example, shooting. One rolls the number of dice equal to your broadside characteristic - simple. But then one halves this number (rounding up) if your target is obscured, the roll you require to hit is modified by range, whether it is your first shot, whether it is raking. You have to remember to check for damage to your ship and you have to take account of special rules some of the ships have. And this is just for shooting!

It is the same with movement and boarding actions, and all of the ships have special rules that modifies how they work in one or more of these phases. It's a lot more complicated than any boardgame I've ever come across.

I wouldn't have thought it would be hard for anyone familiar with Warhammer to pick up - it's simpler than that - but for a non-player of miniature wargames I think it's going to be bewildering. Unfortunately, I can't imagine taking it out and trying to teach a group of novices how to play of an afternoon.

--------------------
Elucidate, Enumerate, Eviscerate
---
Apparently, I now have a blog for my miniatures. I can't promise any pictures of my Beastmen for a while though.
Haxogor
Posted: Oct 4 2011, 03:05 PM

Foe Render

Member No.: 5,048

oh darn... I hoped it would be more than one. Well it's not all bad, at least GW are recognising evil dwarfs as existant.

mercenaries aye? That would be wonderful, I'd like Dogs of War to return very much.

But yeah I can see the game as too complex to teach a novice and not deep enough for some hardcore gamers. It's a tricky one but it just has not grabbed me at all other than the potential for new forces and ideas for army themes.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Other Gaming Systems | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1181 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring