Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

A loose guide to a Beastmen army., 8th edition.
Gojiragor
Posted: Oct 2 2010, 04:10 PM

Pedantic Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,753

Updated for 8th, the new loose guide to starting a Beastmen army. Hopefully this will help you pick what to use and avoid if your just getting started and are confused by the amount of choice on offer. Some entries will have some Ďcommon usesí for the unit, and these are there to provide you with an idea of how to use the unit in a game, or what to combo it with.

LORDS

Beastlord
Strengths:
Leadership 9 bubble. This is more important now as you can couple it with a BSB which allows you to re-roll all LD based tests, not just break tests as before. Consequentially, an army gets the most from a beastlord when itís within both its beastlordís bubble and the bsbís bubble. A common combo is to use him in a unit with either a BSB with banner of discipline for a LD10 lord, or sticking the discipline banner on a unit of bestigor and bunkering him there.
Other strengths include the fact that heís simply a very tough combat character!

With the addition of magic items from the BRB, beast characters are spoiled for choice. There are many viable ones all with their own niche.

Some decent weapon choices:
Some decent choices are, stonecrusher mace(beasts book), sword of bloodshed, ogre blade, sword of strife, sword of might, gold sigil sword. Itís important to think about what you want your beastlord to do when picking the weapon. If you want him to wreck a lot of infantry, donít bother with the high strength stuff, pick something that provides more attacks, and vice versa. Keep in mind too that the beastlord will usually have primal fury active, so the ASF sword+ higher initiative is a bit redundant. The gold sigil sword will make you I10 with your PF rerolls, which is just as good in most situations, and cheaper.
The great weapon used to be a great cheap choice to make a very choppy beastlord. It can still have itís uses, but striking last isnít very desirable in 8th.

Some decent armour choices:
Ramhorn helm, heavy armour, shield, enchanted shield, armour of destiny, tricksterís helm. There are other decent choices, but it gets a little more situational, so again, itís important to think of your BLís role.

Some good gifts:
Gnarled hide, Uncanny senses (much better in 8th), gouge tusks (if going for more attacks at base strength).

Common uses:
A beastlord will do well in most units. I prefer to use him in Gor units, or Bestigor units, depending on how I feel and what Iím playing. When in a unit of infantry, a beastlord with high initiative will do very well against units that donít have any Ďexcessí models. What this means is, a unit that is running close the number of models it needs before it starts to lose attacks back. So the unit will charge, the beastlord will strike first and clear out some models that would have attacked otherwise. This works well because beastmen donít typically have a great initiative value.

Doombull
Strengths:
Impact hits, S6 A5 W5 basic! He is a combat monster, you lose a point of LD over a beastlord, however, itís possible to fit one in as well as a beastlord at point values above 2300, including some gear, but personally I donít recommend both. Heís also immune to killing blow, which is pretty good against things like blocks of bloodletters. In 8th he became more of a force to be reckoned with. He can control his frenzy with a LD test, and when you have him in a compatible base size unit (ungor, minotaurs), he can Ďmake wayí to any part of the unit to participate in combat.
Makes units it joins frenzied and thus immune to psychology. This can be good if you pick a narrow formation steadfast unit of ungors which you donít mind giving up primal fury on.

Some good weapons:
Axes of Khorgor, brass cleaver (any mino character really), common magic weapons (they are all mostly good). The Sword of swift slaying coupled with uncanny senses can let you re-roll misses against many opponents, and works out cheaper than the axes while still allowing you to take a shield.

Some good armour:
Ramhorn helm, armour of destiny, tricksterís helm, enchanted shield, shield, heavy armour.
Trollhide used to be a good choice for the doombull, but with the BRB having a piece of magic armour that is heavy and gives a 4+ ward for the same price means trollhide can be forgotten about.

Some decent gifts:
Gnarled hide, gouge tusks, uncanny senses, many-limbed fiend, slug-skin.

Great Bray-Shaman
Strengths:
T5, Chariot options, can scout with an item even while in a chariot, new lores of beasts, death and shadow. Coupled with a Lvl 2 with the same lore, you can almost guarantee you get the spells you want.

Some decent magic items:
Shard of the herdstone, Hagtree Fetish, Talisman of preservation.

Common uses:
GBSs were used in magic heavy lists, but since 8th, lvl 4s have become very popular due to certain spells.

HEROES

Wargor
Strengths:
T5, can be the BSB.

Some decent weapons:
Common magic weapons.

Some decent armour:
Ramhorn helm, heavy armour, shield, armour of destiny (when bsb).

Some decent gifts:
Gouge tusks, gnarled hide(when bsb), uncanny senses.

Common uses: With the changes to units in regards to footprints and troop types, sometimes a wargor BSB is the only option. Also, since the BSB now provides re-rolls on every LD based test, almost every beastmen or psychology weak army will include a BSB in one form or another.

Gorebull
Strengths:
Impact hits, T5, 4 wounds, one of the most resilient BSBs in the game.

Some decent weapons:
Brass cleaver, common magic weapons, extra hand weapon.

Some decent armour:
Heavy armour, shield, armour of destiny(when bsb).

Some decent gifts:
Gnarled hide(when bsb), gouge tusks, uncanny senses.

Common uses: With the BSB being important for beastmen, having access to a T5, 4 wound character that can be one is great. He adds more versatility to the army too, as with a gorebull we have both an infantry type bsb and a monstrous infantry type bsb, so you can go either doombull or beastlord while still having enough options for bsb and general combos. As with the doombull, the gorebull frenzies any unit he joins, and has a footprint compatible with ungor.

Bray-Shaman
Strengths:
Possibility to scout.

Some decent magic items:
Shard of the herdstone, Hagtree Fetish.

Common uses: A level 2 shaman, when coupled with a level 4 of the same lore, can practically guarantee all the spells you want, like those final spells.

CORE

Gor Herd
Strengths:
Character delivery, T4, WS4.

Common choice: Additional hand weapon
Command: Full command if itís an important characterís bunker, else, options as needed.
Common uses: Gor form the backbone for the vast majority of beastmen lists. They are T4 as standard and make good use of magic buffs. Their basic unit size has increased in 8th edition because of the changes to infantry and combat order. They are typically picked in units over 20 in size, unless for ambushing, when they can be smaller.

Ungor Herd
Strengths:
Cheapest rank and file in the book, cheap ranked ambushers.

Common uses: Ungor herds are perfect to form big steadfast blocks for relatively cheap, like the kind some other armies are able to exploit. Ungors 5 wide and very deep will last a long while against most things, importantly giving you enough time to get the unit you want into combat. When used like this itís a good idea to give them a full command. It means they can absorb a challenge off one of your other units in combat. The standard will stop them giving up too much combat res and the musician with help with drawn combats, reforms, etc. Run like this, it is best to not bother with spears as it is too expensive for a unit that holds stuff up well and is only 5 wide.

Ungor Raiders
Strengths:
Skirmish, shortbows, minimum size of 5, can provide hard cover on the cheap.

Common uses: Screening units, ambushing. Raiders are probably not used in the amounts they were before mainly due to chargers being able to redirect and not being pulled out of position like before. But they can still provide screening for units in a -2 modifier, and can take down some light units with shooting and light war machines when coming on from ambush.

Command: The musician can be useful, but the champion doesnít get picked much.

Tuskgor Chariot
Strengths:
Cheap, primal fury is nice when impact hits arenít great.

Common uses: Used in pairs or in conjunction with something else as it can only really take on small and light units when solo. They work very well for their price when combo charged into the flank of something where they wonít get many return attacks.

Chaos Warhounds
Strengths:
M7, minimum size of 5, can provide hard cover on the cheap.
Common uses: Since unit strength is gone, everything causes panic when it flees through a unit. This is why some avoided using dogs as screens in Beastmen armies. Since everything suffers from this now, dogs can be used in small units as screens, whilst using a nearby bsb to avoid the inevitable panic.

SPECIAL

Minotaurs
Strengths:
Impact hits, versatility(great weapons, extra hand weapons, shields), damage output/volume of attacks.

Common uses: With extra hand weapons and strength 5 they can dish out a lot of attacks and hurt even heavy infantry when combined with impact hits.

Common choice: They mostly show up with either additional hand weapons or great weapons. While Str5 is really good for the likes of heavy infantry, Str7 is ideal against the heaviest, turning a 1+ into a 5+ armour save.

Command: A full command for minos is expensive and should probably be judged on a case by case basis. Musician is usually a good choice if you can afford it, especially with a character in the group. It used to be the case that if you had a champion in the group, you could possibly increase the number of wounds taken before you have to take a panic test due to wound allocation. Now the case is that you just remove the champion last after the other rank and file and command options have died. This means if you want a champion it needs to be for another reason. There are a few tricks involving mino units and characters with champions. Out of combat, you need to keep your command in the front rank over characters, but you can always choose to Ďmake wayí when in combat, with your characters. Coupled with a champion in the front rank, you can force your opponent to allocate all their attacks onto tough characters, or your champion with optional magic item.

Centigor
Strengths:
4+ armour save, 2 attacks, speed.

Common uses: Centigor were debated in the last edition as to whether they were worth the points. With the changes to combat in 8th, they arenít that great a choice. Itís not specifically centigor, cavalry in general has to be really good to see a lot of use now. The problem is initiative and even in an expensive unit of 10, if you lose one model, you canít break ranks anymore.

Command: Again, the full command is going to be expensive. A musician is usually a good choice, the others are more situational.

Harpies
Strengths: Flying, minimum unit size of 5, option to scout.

Common uses: Harpies are widely used as march blockers and war machine hunters. March blocking isnít a sure thing anymore, but it still catches some out when they are away from their bsb and general. At 55 points for a minimum unit, they are a good investment as they can easily kill a more expensive war machine and slow down an expensive elite unit. Their higher initiative is great too. Scouting is a lot easier to pull off now that you can deploy in line of sight, just be mindful of turn one shooting.

Bestigor Herd
Strengths: Great Weapons, 5+ save.

Common uses: With the changes to LD tests, you can almost guarantee primal fury on bestigor. Combined with the new BRB banner choices and supporting attacks and step up, the bestigor have improved from 7th vastly. Iíll admit I was sceptical about them improving in 8th, bit when you combine all the little changes, it really makes a difference. They can provide our army with a chunk of flaming attacks through the banner, or as a hard hitting general/bsb bunker.

Command: A musician is a good idea. Always consider a full command when using the unit as a bunker.

Razorgor Chariot
Strengths: Great on the charge, Primal fury can make up for low impact rolls.

Common uses: Even though they are great on the charge, they donít feature too much. This is due to the cost of the unit and the fact it is a lot slower than a small unit of razorgor. It costs as much as almost 3 razorgor or 2 regular chariots.

Razorgor Herd
Strengths: Great on the charge, can be taken as singles.

Common uses: Beastmen are all about combo charges, so Razorgors see a reasonable amount of use in small units, or even solo. They have terrible leadership, and sometimes space around the general and bsb can be at a premium, or even not available due to terrain, so bigger units tend to not see any use.

RARE

Giant
Strengths: Stubborn, Immune to Psychology.

Common uses: Itís the cheapest large monster we have, but with 8th ed shooting, itís probably going to be some easy victory points for opponents, as it has to gun itself forward and get into combat to earn itís points back.

Chaos Spawn
Strengths: Unbreakable, Cheap, 360į charge.

Common uses: They are cheap, and they donít budge until theyíre dead, but they are very slow, which is the sticking point for a lot of people.

Jabberslythe
Strengths: Flying.

Common uses: Use of the jabber has dropped considerably since 8th edition. Itís extremely expensive for a T5 W5 monster with no save of any kind, and itís ability lost effectiveness with the change to LD tests. Some people still use it to hunt warmachines and light units behind enemy lines.

Cygor
Strengths: Magic resistance, Stone thrower, re-rolls against magic orientated units and characters.

Common uses: The cygor is also very expensive with T5 W5 with no save of any sort. Some people use them exclusively as artillery, but at 275 points, hiding and throwing rocks isnít a good choice. Also, itís Soul-eater ability inadvertently lost some effectiveness due to people tending to throw more dice at spells and added to the lvl bonus, they clear the casting value.

Ghorgon
Strengths: 7 attacks from the get go, option to regen wounds.

Common uses: Probably the most commonly used of the rares since 8th hit. For the same price, itís tougher, has more wounds and although it has no saves, it has an ability to regain wounds. He still costs a lot compared to other more resilient monsters in warhammer, and it can be hard to survive long enough to get into combat with how deadly warmachines and ranked shooting are against our rares.

And there we have it. If I've missed anything, I'm sure it will get pointed out, grammar, rules, stats etc.

Also, if you have any suggestions to add to a unit entry, please feel free to post. Just remember I'm trying to keep this guide as generic as possible. I'm purposely leaving out specific uses, and niche stuff in favour of the common agreed upon stuff, as this is a loose guide for mainly new people. I've tried to leave my own opinions to one side when I wrote this guide and then re-wrote it for 8th, but please bare in mind that's easier said than done.

Enjoy and good luck!

This post has been edited by Gojiragor on Oct 2 2010, 10:13 PM

--------------------
user posted image
-Beastmen, probably the best army in the world.

Best website on the internet. http://godzillahaiku.tumblr.com/
http://www.hobbycraic.com The Irish Warhammer Podcast.
HOBOWIRE
Posted: Oct 2 2010, 06:23 PM

Wargor

Member No.: 4,331

swweet! thank ; )
mrtn
Posted: Oct 2 2010, 08:21 PM

Retrophrenologist

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1,341

Great work! I'll pin this. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Juroda
Posted: Oct 2 2010, 09:57 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,368

Woot! Gr8!!!

--------------------
"If winning isn't everything, then what's the point of keeping score?"
- Vince Lombardi

Level them up, and they won't set fire to your home! :D
user posted image
ChildOfChaos
Posted: Oct 6 2010, 01:04 PM

Gor

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,956

Thanks Gojiragor smile.gif
Khornesone
Posted: Oct 6 2010, 07:32 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 185

Nicely done.

However, I think it's worth mentioning in the Centigor entry that they can become a Core unit if Ghorros is taken. 15 Hounds also make a dirt cheap flanking unit.

--------------------
My wife asks what I'm working on. I explain it's a Jabberslythe. She asks, "What's that do?" I tell her it causes units to make an insanity test. She says, "That's fitting. You make me crazy all the time."
Razorgor
Posted: Oct 6 2010, 08:05 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,423

I agree with Khornesone and from me you also receive a big THANK YOU. thumbsup.gif top work man. wink.gif
Muzykant
Posted: Oct 6 2010, 09:50 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 2,319

Nicely done! What about special characters? Will you continue?

--------------------
Beastmen record:
W/D/L
9/1/8
Gojiragor
Posted: Oct 6 2010, 11:55 PM

Pedantic Beastlord

Member No.: 3,753

Long story short, I think I'm doing a good job keeping my nose out of special character discussions as is. If you like special characters, I really am the last you should ask. I'll leave it at that. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
-Beastmen, probably the best army in the world.

Best website on the internet. http://godzillahaiku.tumblr.com/
http://www.hobbycraic.com The Irish Warhammer Podcast.
Muzykant
Posted: Oct 7 2010, 12:11 AM

Bestigor

Member No.: 2,319

Not that I like them so much. In 7th almost nobody play with them in our community. But now that`s reality of 8th ed. shrug.gif . Well, but understood what you want to say wink.gif

--------------------
Beastmen record:
W/D/L
9/1/8
Beastlord2005
Posted: Nov 20 2010, 06:19 PM

Gor

Member No.: 4,524

Awesome..awesome thread...very usefull for us noobs!! laugh.gif
Jabberslythe
Posted: Apr 25 2011, 08:25 AM

Ungor

Member No.: 4,815

Great stuff!!!
Jabberslythe
azryel
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 02:46 AM

Gor

Member No.: 1,139

Thanks for the useful tips on units and characters, very handy when I haven't played warhammer since we were in 7th edition.

I do have a question about some of the equipment listed above however. At the current time, seeing as how I don't yet have access to the 8th ed BRB, some of the magic items listed above are completely foreign to me. I only recognise the items that are from the Beastmen army book.

Are there different magic items that are available to us in the BRB? Or is there some other place that these are found?

--------------------
Üthose who fear the darkness...have never seen what the light can do...Ü
Sherlocko
Posted: Apr 29 2011, 04:18 AM

Almost as beasty as Garganthor, but WAAAAY more Ghorgony!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,098

QUOTE (azryel @ Apr 29 2011, 04:46 AM)
Are there different magic items that are available to us in the BRB?

They are in the BRB. And there are lots of them. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (sturtus on my avatar)
Sherlocko's, cuz its one of his own models, and every time he posts, its like a great big purple shaggoth is yelling things at me.

Garganthors Ghorgon vs. Sherlockos Ghorgon - 12-20
Garganthors Destroyer vs. Sherlockos Destroyer - 43-40
azryel
Posted: Apr 30 2011, 12:16 AM

Gor

Member No.: 1,139

Cheers Sherlockos

--------------------
Üthose who fear the darkness...have never seen what the light can do...Ü
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1380 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring