InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Hammer and Anvil Tactics for beastmen, new to solo beasts will this work
EnglishGor
Posted: Jan 31 2010, 09:14 PM

Wargor

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,907

Right after reading the new army book i was planin on usinga slight variation on the hammer and anvil tactics -

How i was plannin on doing this is by setting up my army right in the centre of the board with 3 large units with high static CR (the middle one containing my BSB and general to make sure the units stick )and then setting up 3 hard hitting units just behind. And protecting the flanks with stubborn units probably giants.

1st turn the front 3 units (the anvil) march forward but with a slight angle so if my opponent charges me my back 3 units (the hammer) the charge the enemy in the flank thanks to the slight angle created by the anvil units.

Was going to use 20 - 24 gors in the middle anvil unit and 24 ungors with spears and shields in the 2 flanking units.

As for the hammmer units i was thinking of Razorgors and Bestigor units i will also be using lots of small ambushing units as an added little hammer unit and missile fire hunting units.

Will this work?

--------------------
8th Beasts Record
Won 18
Drawn 4
Lost 12

2014 Tournament Record
Won 5
Drawn 4
Lost 5
ksuM
Posted: Jan 31 2010, 09:34 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 767

Sure, especially against dwarves, wood elves and dark elves.

This post has been edited by ksuM on Jan 31 2010, 09:34 PM

--------------------
user posted image
EnglishGor
Posted: Jan 31 2010, 09:47 PM

Wargor

cheers hows about empire, woc and skaven

This post has been edited by EnglishGor on Jan 31 2010, 09:47 PM

--------------------
8th Beasts Record
Won 18
Drawn 4
Lost 12

2014 Tournament Record
Won 5
Drawn 4
Lost 5
ToPaxyGourouni
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 03:38 AM

The pork next door

Member No.: 3,890

Beastlord with Crown of horns and armor save 1+

Wargor BsB with trollhide

Shaman lvl 2 ,2 scrolls

Shaman lvl 2 , herdstone shard

5 x Ungor raiders
5 x Ungor raiders
17 x Gors
Full command

4 minos
Champ with hagtree
musician
Great weapons
7 harpies , scouts
6 centigors, musician
6 centigors, musician

ghorgon
Cygor or Giant.

3 stubborn units at ld 8/9/10 with a bsb reroll.
Mino unit and centigors for flank support and rank breaking
8 power dice for some non-neglectible magic phase
Scout harpies to earn time for better placement/positioning.
BsB has regen,lord has 1+ armor save (scaly skin, heavy armor, shield, parry bonus) for the best protection available out there.

This is the only list I can find that can perform as an Anvil. March 3 stubborn units ahead, use Cygor and magic phase to make him come closer, let him charge and stop on your stubborns, flank charge. Kinda of brainless tactic, but it can lock down slower armies.

--------------------
I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.
Elton John
Sulla
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 04:19 AM

Gorebull

Member No.: 1,755

I don't know why anyone would want to anvil with beastmen... We have some of the flimsyest anvils in the game. Far better off to work on MSU tactics IMO. Use skirmish screens to pull opponents out of line and hit them in the flanks with your heavy hitters. As long as you don't fail too many panic tests ( rolleyes.gif There's the rub, isn't it...), you should be able to do it far better than the old 6th edition DE ever could. Skirmishers divert better than fast cav do, and minos/razorz/gorgons hit for harder than anything in the DE list ever did.
Talonz
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 05:01 AM

Doombull

Member No.: 1,949

anvil and hammer with beastmen?

Large ranked units ambushing from behind and/or jabbers, then nasty hammer minos/pumbas/monsters in the front.

Too bad ambush sucks....having to field a bunch of anvil units normally makes this one too costly to pull off.

--------------------
Your blood will feed the gibbet tree and your skulls shall decorate the herdstone....bow down man/orc/elfthing and pray to your gods! The drums beat in the woods tonight...the warherd comes for you!
EnglishGor
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 01:48 PM

Wargor

Cheers for the advice

--------------------
8th Beasts Record
Won 18
Drawn 4
Lost 12

2014 Tournament Record
Won 5
Drawn 4
Lost 5
Scactha
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 02:43 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 3,415

Im a believer in the anvil center too. But Id not worry to much about the flanks. Better evade that problem with your diverters and invest in the center. Ambusher, Jabbers and summoned extra rares can encircle. Bowgors, Hounds and Harpies should protect the flanks while the Minos and centis wait to exploit just as you say.

I like the list. Could run something similar myself.
Nefarious
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 02:53 PM

Foe Render

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

The one thing I never like ambush, including the old one, is that the enemy player only has to put their troops in his very edge of the battefield to make useless so easily (something very common in a army which good shooting phase), well yeah with (a lot of) luck you can attack the flank with ambush nevertheless, but attack behind is the nicest.

--------------------
Hooves and horns in da face!
Ignition
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 07:20 PM

Gor

Member No.: 3,406

QUOTE (Sulla @ Feb 1 2010, 04:19 AM)
Skirmishers divert better than fast cav do

Since skirmishers line up on the charging unit and charging units line up on fast cav, how would skirmishers be better diverters?
Talonz
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 07:21 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 1,949

When they flee.

--------------------
Your blood will feed the gibbet tree and your skulls shall decorate the herdstone....bow down man/orc/elfthing and pray to your gods! The drums beat in the woods tonight...the warherd comes for you!
Ignition
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 07:22 PM

Gor

Member No.: 3,406

Ah gotcha, thanks.
decker_cky
Posted: Feb 1 2010, 07:25 PM

Ministry of Truth

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7

I think hammer and anvil tactics are only really possible using ghorgons, and depending on a MV7 frenzied large target as your anvil is just asking for trouble.

That said, ghorgons are fast and maneuverable, and I've found them to be great at sneaking in front of a unit you don't want countercharging your minotaurs, or something like that. And if holding a key unit is the focus, using the chomp attack to regain some lost wounds can be useful.

--------------------
user posted image
Decker's Beast Blog - Last updated September 2/2011 - Banelords Beastlord and Harpies
Decker's Eclectic Painting and Modeling Diary - Last updated August 29/11 - Bretonnian Knight + Lord
Tallarn 47th Light Infantry Army Diary - Last updated March 29/09 - Leman Russ Eradicator
laurielee
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 07:38 AM

Hound

Member No.: 4,099

SPAMBOT'D!

This post has been edited by decker_cky on Mar 16 2010, 04:59 PM

--------------------
Karlore
Posted: Mar 16 2010, 09:29 AM

Minotaur

Member No.: 3,734

Oblivion much?

how the hell did that wind up here haha
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1164 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring