zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Gorgoyles, make your own units
Jackbedead
Posted: Aug 18 2012, 09:39 AM

Boombull

Group: Member
Member No.: 1,118

Gorgoyles – 22 points a model

M 5 WS 4 BS 0 S 4 T 4 W 2 I 3 A 2 Ld 7

Unit Size: 3-10

Equipment: claws

Flying

Gorgoyles have a 5+ Stony Skin save (counts as Scaly Skin).

Stonekin: If a unit of Gorgoyles did not move in the previous turn, including turn one, and are not in combat their Stony Skin save is increased to 2+.

Avaricious: Gorgoyles treasure spoils more than anything else and will tear armor from their foes to add to the collection of shiny trinkets in their rookeries. All attacks by made Gorgoyles in close combat are Armor Piercing, and a unit of Gorgoyles gains Stubborn if a unit it is in close combat with has any models with an armor save of 5+ or better.

Along dizzying heights on sheer rock faces lie to rookeries of the malformed and spiteful gargoyles. These beastmen are ancient beyond measure, and their bodies shows signs of adopting to their stony caverns which they’ve carved into the rock faces using their steely claws. Each rookery is decorated with the stolen treasures of those unfortunate enough to have passes through their domain deep within the Drakwald. Golden sigils, religious artifacts, and rusted suits of armor—some still filled with the bones of their original owner—lie strewn about these secret mountain caves. When the beastmen go on the march gargoyles seldom chose to join them, but their vicious greed for the shiny man-made things beckon them, and once they have set their eyes on something of particular interest it’s a very grim affair indeed for those who until very recently, claimed ownership.

This post has been edited by Jackbedead on Aug 18 2012, 09:41 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Jackbedead's usual outcry when he's run out of toilet paper @ Dec 16 2007, 05:39 PM)
Jackbedead, more like 'Jack BE dead' amirite?
Beastlord Karankawa
Posted: Aug 18 2012, 05:12 PM

Mr. Primitive screw-head

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 66

Well done! If I was going to suggest something, which not needed really, is reduce the wounds to 1, reduce the leadership to 6, and reduce the points to 14 (ish).

--------------------
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.   -- Romans 12:17-18 
Jackbedead
Posted: Aug 18 2012, 07:22 PM

Boombull

Member No.: 1,118

I totally hear ya, but I wanted what is basically a heavier version of the Harpy in the Rares section.

--------------------
QUOTE (Jackbedead's usual outcry when he's run out of toilet paper @ Dec 16 2007, 05:39 PM)
Jackbedead, more like 'Jack BE dead' amirite?
Myrdin
Posted: Aug 19 2012, 10:43 AM

Doombull

Member No.: 5,017

cost 40-45 per model

-has 3W
-Uses 40mm bases (similar to VC flying angry half vamp beasts)
-Has Fear
-Stoneskin - Magic resist 3. Scaly skin 5+ in melee
Against ranged attack the Gargoyle has increased AS of 3+
-Armour Pierce special rule.
-Avaricious - The Gargoyles can reroll failed to Hit rolls against targets that have Armour Save of 5+ and higher.

Command (is a must):
Feral Gargoyle - Champion +1A 15pts
Gargoyle Screecher - musician 10pts
Gargoyle War Painted - banner carrier (in a sense) 10pts

Scout upgrade 4pts per model

Why the changes i made:
Supposed to be a Rare choice, it has to be "worthy" of the title, - basically it just has to have enough stuff to back it up. Heres how i would justify each of my decissions.

Fear - Just the sheer appearence of a Gargoyle (now talking about the stone gargoyles that are used to "guard" old buildings) is frightfull enough for the enemies to get goosebumps - Also gives the Gargoyles better ability to work outside LD bubble when engaging enemies like Undead, Deamons, and some Fear evoking monsters.

Stoneskin - Since the skin of a Gargoyle is almost hard as a stone, magic is of no use against it, as it glances off easely. Also the skin is soo thick that ranged attacks just dont pack enough power to really harm the Gargoyle.

Armour Piercing - it can be a standalone rule, doenst have to be combined. No further comment needed.

Avaricious - Though in my opionion PF should be army wide rule, lets drop that for now. Since the Gargoyle wants to get the "shinnies" soo badly, it makes more sense that its unleashes a torrent of furrious attacks (means they reroll the fialed ones), rather then beying stubborn, they just try to use the moment of surprise and impact to tear the shiny things away - This beying restricted only against at least medium armoured oponents is a wery good power, as non armored units (chaffs, etc.) wont give the Gargoyle the ability to reroll.

Command Group - since they are half sentient, its not unheard of for them to have some kind of leader (champ) and spiritualist (war painted). Actually i think even Harpies should get command, as this does not represent the common thinking like the civilized armies do. Just some kind of primal savage display of dominance. Which fits well with beastmen.

Scout - no need to explain. Its not like they have it for free, and it can be usefull, as well as it adds the Monster feel to the army.

Thats about my idea. I love creating new stuff and also talking and updating new stuff from other people. That feeling that you can create something, with what you and other people can have fun is what makes it worth the time smile.gif

This post has been edited by Myrdin on Aug 19 2012, 10:44 AM

--------------------
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Rules Development | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0559 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring