Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Ungor Tarpits, A unit re-examined
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 04:23 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Group: Member
Member No.: 4,917

I can see where your misgivings are coming from, Toe Cutter, as they are the reasons I haven't employed Ungors until now. However, I've simply found that the 20 Gors can't threaten people as effectively as I would like. Ambush has been hit-or-miss (mostly miss), they're not scary offensively unless they get buffed, and I'm only 20 Wounds away from coughing up close to 200 points. For a nominal extra investment, though, I get twice the Wounds and the option to Horde in order to make up for some of the lost offense against units the Ungors can beat, which I think is worth the price of admission.

@mrtn: Do it. I know you want to. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by rothgar13 on Apr 2 2012, 04:29 PM

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
popisdead
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 06:45 PM

Van Goghbull

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 474

QUOTE (rothgar13 @ Apr 1 2012, 07:26 PM)
Do you think my idea is a good one? Have you used Ungors successfully? Have you employed tactics similar to the ones I'm thinking of, or have you employed alternate strategies altogther?

Yes. Yes. Yes. biggrin.gif I love my Ungors!

I take a deep unit of 40 Ungor as a tarpit nearly every game. They fill a general mechanic of 8th ed which is Steadfast. I take them, a big block of Gors and a big block of Bestigors as my battle line. I also don't run anything in Horde (6-wide is fine for me) so all three units can have the Generals leadership and the BSB re-roll.

If I want to keep enemy cavalry or a monster off my flank the Ungors are there and I can counter charge with my Doombull.

I am in the process of building up two more units of 20-25 Ungor for far flank protectors or ambush.

I don't use spears.

--------------------
Kallstrom
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:06 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,897

I have the luxury to know what kind of armies I will be facing (playing in one gaming group with mostly fixed army choices beforehand), so I don't have to fear artillery that much. Spells however could be annoying, but I would rather have them focusing on my Ungors than on my Minotaurs or Bestigors. smile.gif

Three reasons why I want to field a 10x10 ungor horde (with spears or without).

1: Tarpit, bothers my opponent not only in a gameplaying sense but also part of a psychologic warfare sense. smile.gif

2: Really cool! A 10x10 unit will look massive and huge, so the rule of cool applies.

3: Rather have them killing my Ungors than focusing any hurt on the things in my army that can dish out the real pain.

And the most important factor.. I play for fun so I don't need to min/max my list. biggrin.gif

But all of the points raised are valid, I know that it ain't optimal. wink.gif

--------------------
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 07:51 PM

Beastly Beastlord

As long as you know it's not the best idea... Beastmen doesn't tend to be an army that allows much room for error, though.

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Bossman
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 08:27 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 5,117

Another plus for ungor, is that a big unit draws mortar and 6th spell fire. Units with the steadfast rule tends to draw a stigma, because of "Steadfast is broken" internet chatter. They fight better than other line troops as well.
kris_kapsner
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 09:48 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 1,490

My standard beastmen army includes a minotaur block, a gor block and an ungor block. 1 of each. My ungor block I run at 40-45 depending on the game. And, I find that unit to be quite helpful.

I feel that every unit we place on the battlefield needs to have a "purpose".

That may sound basic, it is. But, I see too many WF players field units that they have no pre-planned purpose or strategy for. Every unit we field needs to have a purpose. And, the more units we field that have unique strengths, the more versatile our armies will be.

My ungor unit is always fielded as a "tarpit" just 5 wide. I don't expect them to be "killy" by any means. But, 10 re-rollable attacks can still surprise you at times. I have them fielded for three purposes primarily.

First, they make a handy tar pit. As mentioned by some others in this thread, their leadership is lacking. So, they need to be babysat by the general and bsb. This isn't an issue in most of my games since it's nice to have them guarding the flank of my minobus anyway. They are relatively expendable though and can tie up a tough unit for a while sometimes...long enough for me to clean house on the rest of the army. The advantage we have in deployment is the incredible number of inexpensive "chaff" choices. We can "win" deployment almost every time by placing our harpies, razorgor, raiders and hounds first. Then, after we see the opponent's battle line, it becomes easy to discern where you want the tar pit to go.

Second, they draw fire away from the other units that will cause more damage. People do fear the steadfast rule. And, since a decent size unit of ungor just 5 wide will have more ranks than anything else, your opponent will potentially focus their war machine, shooting and magic energy trying to deplete that unit. And, since they drop quickly with low toughness and virtually no save, your opponent will have a false sense of gratification when they do target them.

Third, this hasn't been mentioned I don't think. But, I've used my 8 rank deep ungor to support my minobus or the other gor unit. But, usually my minobus. I charge the minotaur in first and position the unit to have the outer edge corner of my opponent's unit available for a charge next turn. The ungor then charge on my next turn into just that corner so that my minobus can have the ranks to break even the largest of elite units. The ungor only take a couple of wounds at most because only one is touching the enemy unit. So, the difference in combat res is made up by the hard hitting minotaur characters. Because the ungor have 6-8 ranks at this point, few units remain steadfast and they break and run because of how much they lost to the minobus. This tactic is incredibly helpful for breaking some of the biggest toughest units in the game.

I leave the ungor at the 5 point level and add in the musician and standard just to give me another standard for the Blood and Glory scenario that seems to be common in tournaments around here. But, for the points, they are a very helpful unit in my opinion.
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 10:07 PM

Beastly Beastlord

Precisely the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. This mirrors the use I had planned for them. Thanks for sharing, kris. smile.gif

--------------------

Myrdin
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 10:59 PM

Doombull

Member No.: 5,017

Not really keen on using Ungors for things others than Shaman bunker (and even that is done by raiders). Though 40 man unit might be a good way to get a breather from the pesky Steam tanks, Doomwheels and stuff.

If the cost were to be altered to 4 pts, and 5 with spear that would be nice. (though having said that, a 1 pts mace upgrade would also seem nice)

--------------------
Myrdins Beastmen, Nippon Empire and Tau - diary with a mash up projects for all 3 of my armies.

Chronicles of the Beast - Made up lore and stories for my Natural Beastmen
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Beastmen Discussion | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0669 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring