Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Herdstone. We hope you enjoy your visit.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join our community!
If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

Rothgar's Ramhorns, A thread for my army lists
SheBeast76
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:45 PM

Gor

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,292

Hey stranger laugh.gif

In your 2k list, I noticed you didn't place the crown of command on your beastlord's head .

What is your reasoning, please ?

--------------------
If Gibbs were a god in Warhammer ... would you follow him?

I worship Khorne ... every 28 days.
ToPaxyGourouni
Posted: Feb 21 2012, 02:55 PM

The pork next door

Group: Member
Member No.: 3,890

He could have, but I suppose it is about the list layout. His whole army has ld 10 and rerolls, and enough models to claim steadfast for more than a few rounds of combat. Crown of command is a strong item, very strong, but when your units count 40 models each, you can live without it. Also, the list in 2000 is squeezing for points. He tries to fit a lot of magic, and high leadership, and durable characters and diverters and big units, and he manages to do it quite nicely. But I would suppose he is really squeezing in points value. I guess rothgar can confirm or correct me.

Finally , many players opt not to use the crown of command for another reason. Having a stubborn unit in your list makes you play less carefully, just because you have your arse covered. By refusing to play stubborn, you find yourself trying to play all the better so you can overcome the enemy without the easy way out. Overall, practicing without a crown of command will eventually make you a better player.

--------------------
I think people should be free to engage in any sexual practices they choose; they should draw the line at goats though.
Elton John
rothgar13
Posted: Mar 30 2012, 05:22 AM

Beastly Beastlord

Member No.: 4,917

Made some minor tweaks to the lower-points lists. I've decided to go out on a bit of a limb with my GBS's defenses in order to pack the Jagged Dagger as early as 2000 points. I've also incorporated a lot more chaff into that list as well. What say you about it, or of any of the other lists?

--------------------
"The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Check out my Armybook Rewriting Project! Or my Beastmen Handbook!

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Herdstone Awards: Best New Member (2011)
rothgar13
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 03:33 AM

Beastly Beastlord

All right, guys, I've decided to incorporate a major change in my lists. I've tossed the 20-man unit of Gors, and instead decided to bring a 40-man unit of Ungors. What say you of this change?

--------------------

Rothgar's Ramhorns (7/30/2011-present): W 47 / D 4 / L 45 ; Battle Reports; Army Diary

Toe Cutter
Posted: Apr 2 2012, 09:55 AM

Gorebull

Member No.: 4,850

While ambush is a gamble, it gives you a decent chance of getting a flank or rear charge with the static rez to make it count. It also gives you a useful unit for chasing down bunker units providing you get a reasonable roll. Plus it allows you more space in your deployment zone (deploying two hordes and all you chaff spaced so that it doesn't panic cascade itself takes up a fair bit of space). Its also an assymetric threat to give your opponent something to think about.

Ungor on the other hand give you an anvil unit to tie something up for a little while. Deployed in bus they can be a little unwieldy to move around terrain. Deployed in horde they mean you've got three hordes to try and move around one another. A truly choppy unit is going to eat forty ungor fairly quick sharp. You might tie it up for two rounds of combat. You might get lucky and get three round of combat out of it. A less choppy unit could probably be taken on with either of your other hordes. With all the redirectors and miasma wielders you have, do you really need a unit whose only purpose is to hold up a really hard unit?

--------------------
Army blog

Mr T is the new Nostradamus. Years before the new book was even released, he advised Beastmen modellers everywhere to abandon their jaberslythe modelling projects in protest at the new rules set with the eerily prophetic warning "Quit your Jibber Jabber". Spooky.
berserker_T0
Posted: Jul 24 2012, 10:44 AM

Ungor

Member No.: 5,266

Your lord choices in the 2K list come in at 498 pts if I'm not mistaking? I really hope I am...

Have you missed the crown of command yet in the 2K list, or is it a calculated risk considering the 2 big blocks?
berserker_T0
Posted: Jul 24 2012, 11:07 AM

Ungor

Member No.: 5,266

QUOTE (ToPaxyGourouni @ Feb 21 2012, 02:55 PM)
Finally , many players opt not to use the crown of command for another reason. Having a stubborn unit in your list makes you play less carefully, just because you have your arse covered. By refusing to play stubborn, you find yourself trying to play all the better so you can overcome the enemy without the easy way out. Overall, practicing without a crown of command will eventually make you a better player.

This is the first time I think about it this way, and I guess its a very good tip for a beginning player. Thanks

This post has been edited by berserker_T0 on Jul 24 2012, 11:07 AM
Hargus56
Posted: Dec 13 2012, 11:27 PM

Bestigor

Member No.: 4,915

Hey Roth, how are the Razorgor Chariots treating you at 3k? I think your prior 3k list had a 20 man bestigor with wargor leading them, was curious which you were finding better.
rothgar13
Posted: Dec 15 2012, 06:20 PM

Beastly Beastlord

The Razorcarts for sure. I like the secondary block of Bestigors in theory, but in practice 20 men just is not enough. I can run the Razorcarts into a combat with relative ease, chaff units cannot deal with them, and (unlike Tuskgor Chariots) they actually have a bit of staying power.

--------------------

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Army Lists | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0640 seconds | Archive
Warvault Webring