Banner & Skin created by Nevermore

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
zIFBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to Forbidden Love. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

All members need to RE-READ THE RULES. They have been updated and everyone needs to read them. You can find the rules here
NEW MEMBERS::
Please read the rules and then introduce yourself at the Introductory Thread

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Favorite Episodes
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jul 16 2005, 06:00 PM

The 4-D Man

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

With a show, there comes a pantheon of episodes that surpass the mold and always leave you with just an impression. Whether with a scene, a plot, a twist, a character, you can see it a thousand times and watch it again.

So what are your episodes that cut above the mold and why? Plot or filler or both?

Mine are plots mostly.

10. Titans East Pt 1.

The end of the third season ended with a new direction; a nice parody of Avengers, and started the final showdown with the Machiavellian Brother Blood. Comic writer and creator Marv Wolfman returned at the helm and returned back to his roots as an ensemble writer with a splash. Humor and wonderful characterization made the new group almost even better than the original. Almost. Complete with Blood as he did what he does best: having fun as he dominates and showing that he can be like Deathstroke but doesn't need to be and finally gave Cyborg his chance to shine as leader.

The ultimatum to Dick and ready to burn bridges while the Headmaster's trap ready to be sprung, showing that both the protagonist (Cyborg) and antagonist (Blood), both minor players in the comics, are up there with the best of them.

9. Date With Destiny.

Despite the R/S soaked ness, this filler is special to me for two reasons only: the revamp of one of my favorite Golden Age villains and the OC created for him. Drury Walker reborn in a new Killer Moth motif, and thus breathing new life in his first appearence in a DCAU.

Created with a human touch unlike no other by making him a single parent and a whipped one at that, it showed a different kind of empathy for the character and undid the massive wreckage done to him in the comics. And complete with one of my favorite sub actors, this version of Drury has wormed his way into my brain and heart as well as his bratty daughter. Showing more personality in her pinky, Kitten showed not only she has fun at all's expense but also showed how much she wanted to immerse into her father's criminal activities and be a criminal in training.

And Starfire just did a lovely job not only entertaining us but undermined the R/S ship for us R/R shippers everywhere at the same time and that deserved a special reward/mention.

Not to mention how attractive she was in that dress. Winks.

8. Wavelength.

The next twist of the Blood arc brought about different beats as Cy began to start his own Slade obsession with Blood and took it to the H.I.V.E. While Blood watched on and couldn't help but to amuse himself while Cyborg sunk more into himself and we saw why he obsessed about Blood's piracy. The Headmaster baked such a multi layered cake for him and the Titans and we watched as Blood actually has fun with his job as he combined grace and power as he finally fought his battles.

And Bumblebee made an interesting appearance from a cameo as a double agent and had lively banter with Cyborg and a nice tease to Cy/Jinx. Combined that with wonderful animated sequences, stirring music, seeing the military aspect of the H.I.V.E. made the Blood plot twist such a good one as Blood began to show more of himself and not of a Ra's al Ghul clone.

7. Can I Keep Him?

A unique plot as we get some continuity about Silkie who has been squirming around the third season, and finally brung it to rest. Not only did we get two return appearances from two popular villians (Killer Moth and Johnny Rancid), but we saw Star took on a new characterization as she can be a mother and used her naivete as an act and had some good, clean, deception against her Robin. All this plus some well written comedy, this filler had it all and showed how much Season Three has evolved the series as new talent to writing tried their hand. Wonderful fresh direction.

And the birth of a wonderful, weird pairing for me as well.

6. Titan Rising.

I always enjoyed this twist of the Terra arc for several reasons. One: we get a good dynamic between Raven and Terra over the one true issue: their powers and control. The tension could be cut with a chainsaw, as Terra acquiesed to the one with the proper control. So it seemed. Two: The dramatic irony innunedos were just too good to resist. "Which team am I on?" Three: the animation was exceptional with the mecha worm sequence and put on all the bells and whistles.

And last but not least, a R/R moment for us. Finally, rapport!

5. Birthmark.

The revolution that started for us began as Slack began to forgive himself with a simple but entertaining yarn as they finally started the Trigon arc. You watched as Dick tried to get deeper with the empath and acknowledged that her entering his mind in "Haunted" was the prelude to something deeper (and that we were right about them and now, it's an apology for the two seasons of non interaction). And more so as Slade resurrected and now with fire powers and finally dished out some revenge and the mysteries of Raven's body and life gave us plenty of questions to ask.

"How Slade returned?" "What are those marks on her body?" And proof that the childish storyarcs are put to bed, as we watched as a half nude Raven fell to her death and who was there to save her?

Exactly, it's the beginning of the revolution. And ending tonight.

4. Apprentice Pt 1. The season finale to the freshman season started with a path to madness as Dick submerged into the Terminator's games as the mirror stared back with a bisected crack. Dick couldn't think anything or anyone else but to stop him while the Titans tried to control their leader and stop the villain. Machinations kept twisting the knife as Dick was spilt from the group via Cinderblock and saw his chance to stop Slade and grabbed the bait.

The blood poured on the marble as the two met face to face and clashed in a beautiful, choreographed showdown and showed that as Dick may be ahead two step, our Deathstroke is ahead by ten. Then came the perfect ultimatum as our dumbfounded hero fell for such a much larger trap, triggered by his own obsessions. What choice did Dick have?

3. The Prophecy.

The next twist in the Trigon arc that not only demonstated how much the show changed but how it changed DC's dogmas about character angst. Watch as Raven hid deeply within her defense mechanisms and blatantly lied to Dick about the mark on Slade's mask, and revel in Dick's frustrations as he and us wanted her to see the truth: that he wanted to help her. Then after that, the episode revealed that despite her anime characterization, she can still cling to her comic image and we saw a wonderful payoff as she tore down her images and walls as she begged her mother for help and how despite the standoffishness, sarcastic image is...a little girl who doesn't want to be her father. And unlike the Wolfman dogma, this Raven has friends who can help her with her father only because they care about her. It also shows that she may be flawed, but she has a reason to get up in the morning, (her friends) and work around them.

They did Raven to how she should have been done in the first place. That deserved applause.

2. Deception.

After an miserably, light season with Terra, the writers had their work cut out for them to apologize for. More so as they were focused on Brother Blood, a mindcontrolling loser with a skull for a hat. But along with continuity, as we saw with the trio, we saw the inner workings of the H.I.V.E. Academy as a school and the ringmaster: Brother Blood as he brainwashed and controlled his charges with whatever they desire. Thus a perfect synergy of giving the Academy more screen time as they are the Titans' main foe in the comics and a visable leader we know as well.

Complete with subtle comic nods to Cyborg's past and excellent characterization and animation, this plot will always stand the test of time as being so fully rounded.

And a personal pairing irony to match. And proof that times have changed, and so has the staff.

1. Haunted.

The only question fans had of "Aftershock Pt 2" was "What happened to Slade?" as the ambigious ending made us wonder. And Dick fell back into his obsessing ways as he immersed in deeper and deeper while his friends tried their own ways to convince that Slade is dead and time to move on. The writing was running with scissors as it could fall apart at any time.

On top of everything else as Dick was about to die from his own obsessions, came a small moment and a permanent backdoor for our ship as Raven entered his mind and through his eyes we saw the pain of Slade and of his past and proof that this Robin is Dick Grayson. As if there was a doubt.

The ending was the true icing to the lovely cake with the multiple layers as we see that Slade is back in the game and created a wonderful Machiavellian scheme for his Apprentice.

One of the most ambitious scripts I've seen in a long time as it could have fallen apart at any time...

But it didn't. Think about that.

This post has been edited by Dark Weezing on Aug 31 2005, 04:15 AM

--------------------
user posted image
Rose Wilson
Posted: Jul 16 2005, 07:20 PM

Hero in Training

Group: Members
Member No.: 255

Well. I'll have to explain my choices by re-edit later, myself.

Filler
1 Haunted
2 Overdrive
3 Switched
4 Can I Keep Him?
5 Employee of the Month

Episode Arc
1 Birthmark
2 Apprentice pt. II
3 Deception
4 Aftershocks pt. I/II (ignoring its partner; both episodes together make it that much weaker)
5 Titans East pt. I
Silverstar
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 12:29 PM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 319

My top 10 favorites are:

10. Birthmark: An R/R episode that I like, Raven looks better with long hair. I liked how she screamed when the rest of the Teen Titans gave her a surprise party!

9. The Prophecy: Another episode that I liked with some R/R, and when ghosts got Cyborg, he screamed so funny! And when BB yelled "Not Mo! NOT MO!!!!!!"

8. Titan Rising: This episode is really good, with a tiny bit of R/R, and this episode had the Terra that I liked.

7. Employee of the Month: BB gets a job! And he is obsessed with mopeds. And when Cyborg loves meat, and also the other jobs BB got. My favorite part was when the Test Lab exploded!

6. Deception: Robot Cy kept saying "BOOYA!" and how BB was obsessed with it, and when Cy said "My name is Stone."

5. Haunted: An episode where Robin sees Slade, and when Raven uses telepathy on Robin. Robin looked a little strange with Raven's eyes, and I also like when Cyborg yawned at the beginning

4. Overdrive: That episode was really good, with all those Billys, and Cyborg with the Max-7

3. How Long is Forever?: I like Time Travel, and all those future Titans looked cool. And in the beginning, when the Titans were fighting!

2. Episode 257-494: That episode was probably one of the funniest ones I saw! I liked the part where Star had to answer questions and she didn't know them, and also when BB took Raven's cloak!

And the Number 1 Favorite is...

1. Crash: When BB messed up with Cyborg, Cyborg start to think that non-food objects are food! And when Cy messed with the ATM, money spat out, and Cyborg looked funny when he was going to eat money. And when he said "You're the nasty egg people who stole my whoppers!" at Robin, Raven, and Star, and when Cy ran away, screaming!

--------------------
user posted image
NetherPhoenix
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 02:49 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 221

My favorite TT episodes:

Season 1:

1) "Sisters." Mainly because I was an R/S fan at the time and in retrospect, this was one of the few episodes of the series that showed the potential Robin and Starfire had as a couple. Also, I just liked seeing the animated Blackfire. She looks a lot better than her comic counterpart, who scares me a bit.

2) "Nevermore." You can't go wrong with a pissed-off Raven unleashing her dark powers on Dr. Light. And considering that he looked like he'd just been to every level of Hell after Robin managed to stop her, it makes you wonder what would have become of him if Raven hadn't been stopped. And it was just fun seeing what makes Raven tick, as represented by the Ravens that inhabit Raven's mental world.

3) "Masks" - Red X just kicked butt and this episode is one of the main reasons I still believe that Robin in the show is Tim Drake. After all, the ruse Robin devised to entrap Slade into revealing himself and his motives was something Batman would have done and Richard made it very clear in the comics that he didn't want to be like Batman. However, Tim had proven on a good number of occasions that he was willing to resort to trickery to get an edge over his opponents and Robin's creation of Red X was right up Tim's alley. Aside from that, it was almost heartbreaking to see Starfire so willing to help Robin and Robin spurn her again and again. The ending of that episode --- Starfire telling Robin that he and Slade were similar because neither of them trusted anyone else --- was a tearjerker, too.

4) "Apprentice, Part 1" - Everything Dark Weezing said with the addition of Robin's fight with Slade's android commandos. Robin's obsession with taking down Slade drove him into a battle frenzy that enabled him to defeat the androids single-handedly . . . and even start beating a helpless android to "death." Rather gruesome scene.

5) "Apprentice, Part 2" - The Titans don't understand why Robin is stealing and with nothing to explain or excuse his behavior, they have no choice but to take him down. Unfortunately, not all is as it seems. They have been surreptitiously infected with nanoscopic probes that could kill them upon activation . . . and this is what Slade uses to force Robin to do his dirty work. However, Robin isn't taking it lying down, resulting in what amounts to a brutal fight between him and Slade. And Slade stops the fight by reminding Robin just what he stands to lose if he persists in defying him. Unfortunately for Slade, the Titans have figured out why Robin is stealing and come to his rescue despite the danger to themselves . . . and that is the beauty of "Apprentice, Part 2." At any given moment, despite their little differences, the Titans are a family and they will do anything for each other. Anything. And that is how they defeat Slade in the end.

Season 2:

1) "How Long Is Forever?" - That is the question. Kids promise each other all the time that they'll be friends forever, but how long is forever? Will they still be friends after they start high school? When they graduate? Starfire finds herself lost twenty years in the future when she goes after the time-traveling thief Warp and discovers that her friends have fallen to pieces in her absence. All except Robin, who has become Nightwing, it seems. It was horrible seeing what happened to Beast Boy, Cyborg, and Raven in the future but gratifying to see Nightwing, as he has been my favorite out of all the grown-up original Teen Titans.

2) "Betrayal" - The Titans feel the sting of betrayal as their newest member is revealed to be a double agent working for Slade. A double agent with serious doubts about her mission . . . until Beast Boy tells her he doesn't want anything to do with her anymore. Understandable, given what he found out about her. My all-time favorite scene in that episode was the fight between the other Titans and Slade's androids, especially Robin's line: "Fight anyway." That's just the sort of person he is, and that's how he'll most likely die: Fighting anyway.

Season 3:

"X" - Robin's worst mistake comes back to haunt him when someone steals the Red X suit and uses it to commit crimes. The new Red X's identity is left a secret, but that is not important. What is important is what he represents to Robin and what he represents to Robin is moral failure. He embodies selfishness, the very trait that Robin loathes in himself.

"Haunted" - Everything Dark Weezing said.

"Spellbound" - Raven falls in love . . . and her "suitor" turns out to be a wicked dragon that was just using her to gain freedom from his prison. Heartbreaking, but a good episode overall. Just ignore the BB/Raven moment at the end.

"The Beast Within" - Simply because the writers stop treating Beast Boy like the comic relief and show that he can be quite a dangerous mofo himself. And seeing Robin willing to fight a "Hulked-out" Beast Boy with nothing more than a Bo staff and some explosives just to defend Raven? Priceless.

Season 4:

The arc episodes only. The rest were ok to mediocre. The goodness started with "Birthmark," as Slade crawled out of the depths of hell to menace the Titans one more time. With hellish flames at his beck and call, he trounced the Titans, but his target was Raven. Every time Slade touched her, he would burn away a portion of her uniform, revealing a red mark on her skin. Someone made the statement that Slade's pursuit and attack on Raven was spiritually akin to Arella's rape by Trigon, evoking the horror of how Raven was conceived without actually saying or showing it. A rather apt comparison, it was.

"The Prophecy" was full of exposition, but it was good exposition. We saw Robin struggle to figure out the mark on Slade's forehead and why he was after Raven, who was trying to hide as much as she could from the other Titans, figuring that her problems weren't theirs to worry about. However, Robin wasn't taking it lying down. He wanted Raven to see how much he cared about her and how much he --- and the other Titnas --- were willing to help her. Ultimately, she did see that and it came to fruition in "The End Part 1" as the other Titans revealed the high-tech equivalent of a room tagged with spiritual wards to keep her safe from demonic intrusion. By then, Raven had already given up, though, but the others weren't willing to do the same. Even when Raven fulfilled the prophecy, the other Titans were still willing to fight . . . and Raven learned from their example, finally putting an end to her father.

And so it came full circle. Raven was finally free of her father after years of him subconsciously ruling her life. The best part of it all was that, as Dark Weezing has said, her characterization in this arc undid the damage brought upon her by Wolfman years ago in The New Teen Titans. Here, we had a flawed heroine, but a heroine who genuinely cared about her friends and acknowledged them as her true family after so much time pretending to be utterly indifferent to them.

--------------------
"The training is nothing. The will is everything." - Ducard, Batman Begins
Rose Wilson
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 05:44 PM

Hero in Training

NetherPhoenix, I am extremely surprised to hear you state that the filler episodes of Season 4 were mediocre.

Employee of the Month and Don't Touch That Dial (can never remember the numbers) were by far the funniest and wittiest episodes on the show's run. Employee of the Month seamlessly combined Silver Age and Invader Zim-style humor and DTTD is the gift that keeps on giving--it's probably the most sophisticated non-arc episode.

Overdrive is the best Cyborg episode and probably the best filler episode in the entire run of the show. I don't count Haunted as filler, since it set up the Raven/Robin/Slade conflict perfectly for Season 4. It had a funny villain, Cyborg finally getting over his angst about his metal parts (I am a machine! BOOYAH!), and is jam-packed with continuity about the show. This episode constructs a geography for the city in a way that even Prophecy and Employee of the Month couldn't achieve and the episode is important just for that. Also loved the Cyborg/Robin moments and Robin's subtle hinting that Cyborg was acting how he was acting in Season 1.

The Quest had my favorite running gag in the entire show's run (Robining) and even though it was probably one of the weaker episodes of the season, the quality is just so good in comparison to Season 2 and 1 that you just don't even care.
NetherPhoenix
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 06:45 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Rose Wilson @ Jul 29 2005, 05:44 PM)
NetherPhoenix, I am extremely surprised to hear you state that the filler episodes of Season 4 were mediocre.

Employee of the Month and Don't Touch That Dial (can never remember the numbers) were by far the funniest and wittiest episodes on the show's run. Employee of the Month seamlessly combined Silver Age and Invader Zim-style humor and DTTD is the gift that keeps on giving--it's probably the most sophisticated non-arc episode.

Overdrive is the best Cyborg episode and probably the best filler episode in the entire run of the show. I don't count Haunted as filler, since it set up the Raven/Robin/Slade conflict perfectly for Season 4. It had a funny villain, Cyborg finally getting over his angst about his metal parts (I am a machine! BOOYAH!), and is jam-packed with continuity about the show. This episode constructs a geography for the city in a way that even Prophecy and Employee of the Month couldn't achieve and the episode is important just for that. Also loved the Cyborg/Robin moments and Robin's subtle hinting that Cyborg was acting how he was acting in Season 1.

The Quest had my favorite running gag in the entire show's run (Robining) and even though it was probably one of the weaker episodes of the season, the quality is just so good in comparison to Season 2 and 1 that you just don't even care.

Actually, I said "ok to mediocre." That means there were some Season 4 filler episodes I liked and others I thought sucked. To clarify, every filler episode except for "Employee of the Month," "Stranded," and "Mother Mae-Eye" was ok. The three I named sucked. Sorry, Rose, but EotM simply didn't do it for me, and that's because I can't stand Beast Boy's episodes; too many opportunities for stupidity and most of those achieved. I hated "Stranded" simply because it was further decimation of Robin/Starfire, a couple I once adored . . . but I wasn't an obsessive freak about it. And "Mother Mae-Eye" was too f***ed-up for words.

--------------------
"The training is nothing. The will is everything." - Ducard, Batman Begins
Kaleido Star
Posted: Aug 10 2005, 04:32 PM

New Hero

Member No.: 156

Ok here's mine:

Titans East pt 2: Love the fight between Speedy and Raven, just absolutly in love with it.

The Quest: Love how everyone dressed up like Robin

Titan Rising: Like the friendship of Raven and Terra, including Robin and Raven

Episode 257-494: Seems funny that Robin and Raven appear twice together on different channels, it was one of my favorites

and....

Birthmark: I looove the bond forming between Robin and Raven, and the nuts of dough, you cannot ever forget that!
Silver_Cat
  Posted: Aug 10 2005, 11:55 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 131

The End, Birthmark and The Prophecy!
Lo-chan
Posted: Aug 11 2005, 03:30 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 83

Sisters
Apprentice Part I
Apprentice Part II
How Long Is Forever
Stranded
Date With Destiny
Spellbound
The Prophecy

--------------------
user posted image
>Join the army of fangirls who seek and destroy all boys that break your heart! Put this picture in your sig and become one of us! (You get your choice of weapons too) ((Mine's a pencil >=D......
Zenthos
  Posted: Aug 12 2005, 04:51 PM

New Neighbor

Member No.: 565

Umm, I'll have you guyz know this is edited so we don't have any space troubles here. But since you wanted us to explain, I'll go first.

laugh.gif My fave episodes are..... laugh.gif

The End : Part one and part three. Part one because Raven actually cooked. And part three cuz there was a cute connection with Robin there. Including the hug.

Birthmark:There's definitely alot of Robbie/Rae romance goin on, hell ya'!

The Prophecy: I don't know why I picked this, maybe it's because I wanted to see what Azarath looks like.

I'm not going to say stranded cuz Star is cool and all but I'm just a mega Robbie/Rae fan.

Heh, I forgot that one Meaty Meat episode. Y'know the one with the army of the Bobs.Beastboy looked so cute when he was confused and my favorite part was when he went to the game testing area and destroyed the proto-type. Including the fat guy yelling: "I WANT MY MEATY MEAT!"

I LUV YOU BEASTBOY!
Dark Weezing
Posted: Aug 12 2005, 05:44 PM

The 4-D Man

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

The past three who posted, could you, I dunno, explain why you care/like for the episodes?

I did ask "why you like them" and all.

Simple or complex, doesn't matter, just try to put some thought into it.

Thank you.

--------------------
user posted image
GothicBlackfire
Posted: Aug 19 2005, 05:03 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 78

1. The End part 3- Raven as a child was SO cute, and I just loved the Rob/Rae bonding stuf (including the hug).

2. Birthmark- Raven was beautiful with long hair!

3. Nevermore- It was cool seeing Raven's anger/father for the first time.

4. Episode2928349857908279382 or whatever the numbers are- Quite possibly the funniest episode of Teen Titans I have ever seen.

5. Mother Mae-eye- Not the best episode ever, but seeing raven in a yellow shirley temple dress with pigtails was SO worth it. She was SO cute! laugh.gif But, it would've been funnier if it was pink... tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

E|V|A|N|E|S|C|E|N|C|E|
my anti-drug
Misha
Posted: Aug 20 2005, 06:31 PM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 65

Nevermore it was the first episode i saw and it got me to like Raven.

--------------------
My Space~*~*~*My Fanfiction
user posted image
When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have
All of me
Thanks to draugon for the siggy
Nightlark
Posted: Aug 20 2005, 08:49 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 422

1st Season-

Sisters. I know it was very Rob/Star-ish, but I ignore it simply because I adore Blackfire to no end. (No, I'm not a lesbian.)

Nevermore- What can I say?...I love all the Raven-centered episodes, because that edgy dark side appeals to me in a weird sense.

Switched- It brought out a scary Rae/Star side to me. I didn't like that, but the whole "seeing Raven happy and Starfire generally pissed" thing was awesome.

Mad Mod- So insane, it's just awesome.

Apprentice Part 1- I hated the second one, but this one was so dark-and-evil-ish, I just liked it.

2nd Season-

Terra- I'm a Terra fan, and it was nice seeing her on the good side for a while.

Fear Itself- It's a Raven episode, what more to be said? Well...maybe I can say it so very much resembled The Ring, it was amusing.

Aftershock 1 & 2- ....seeing Terra evil was just as awesome.

3rd Season-

X- Very Star/Rob ish, but I didn't really mind. Red X was awesome, and the not-so-surprising ending of Robin actually being Red X was still pretty neat.

Berothed- Also very Star/Rob ish...(sigh)...but it had Blackfire! Yay!

Haunted- Wow. Just wow. I'm ignoring the 'Robin, you're hurting me!' and reveling in the fact Robin almost DIED. Died. Died. In a Y7 kids TV show. They stretch the limits, and in good ways at that.

Revolution- Hehe....Mad Mod just kicks booty! And Beast Boy with a British accent (You're just jealous cause I sound like a rock star...) that beasts all. (joke)

The Beast Within- Even though some people say this is "sooo totally BB/Rae!!11' I disagree. It had plenty of Rob/Rae for me, frankly. And Beast Boy, acknowledging the fact he's got a dangerous side, was some seriously good character development.

4th Season-

The Quest- Funny, in its own weird way...and the ending was killer. 'The mask makes me feel cool, too.' Hehhe...

Birthmark- What can I say? Raven, Robin, Slade, Raven and Robin together, Robin saving Raven from scary rapist Slade...0_o...I mean, er, it was cool. Yeah.

The Prophecy- Umm, same as above? No....it was all good except for the ending....bashing Slade all to hell like that was disturbing.

Employee of the Month- Tofu and evil tofu beings named Bob! ...can you get any more random?

Mother Mae-Eye- Raven in a dress was totally worth it! I mean, seriously, you can't get more funny in an insane way. Like me. ^^

The End Pt. 1, 2, 3- They weren't really that well written or drawn, but the Rob/Rae...I can't resist. I'm sorry.

Well, that's it, then. It's a lot, but....oh well.

--------------------
My Fics

Credit for my avatar goes to Potassium.

ATTENTION: I've found another graphics thief. I reported her, but you guys should know- CLICK HERE

user posted image
Rose Wilson
Posted: Aug 23 2005, 06:53 PM

Hero in Training

Masks is pretty much the first of the turning points for the series. The other turning points being Transformation--huge overall decline in animation and writing quality for awhile, X--the trend is reversed, and Birthmark just for the huge deviation it did from the comics and the adult-ness of the episode.

The animation in this episode... I dunno. It actually feels better than that of a lot of seasons, but the action sequences weren't anywhere near as creative or dynamic as they get in the future (X, Overdrive, The End come to mind).

Robin pretty much ends his entire deal as fighting as a 'real' human would in this episode, as we see him effortlessly kick Cinderblock across the room (Aftershocks and Apprentice), gorilla press a gigantic martial arts bear, and kick through rock walls. I actually think it's good for the show, because then it'd beg the question of why he doesn't just put on the damn Red X costume all of the time and actually contribute something.

The Slade / Robin fight sequence at the end felt really lacking once you compare them to later episodes. Same for Red X taking on his teammates.

Also this episode firmly establishes Robin's personality, as before he was just a generic hero type. Caused a huge split down the middle on Robin's popularity but I think it was a first earnest attempt to give the characters real three-dimensionality.

And also this shows the real difference between Robin and Batman. While the Red X plan is something either one of them would have cooked up, it would have WORKED for Batman. Not just because of the whole 'Batman > You' conceit, but because Batman puts the mission above the feelings of his friends. The same plan just didn't work for Robin, because his teammates aren't just coworkers, they're also loved ones. Of course, this also begs the question of why Batman is allowed to treat his teammates worse than Robin is.

This ties back into my whole Batman/Robin hypocrisy pet peeve, but whatever.
« Next Oldest | Episode Discussion | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0429 seconds · Archive