Banner & Skin created by Nevermore

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Forbidden Love. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

All members need to RE-READ THE RULES. They have been updated and everyone needs to read them. You can find the rules here
NEW MEMBERS::
Please read the rules and then introduce yourself at the Introductory Thread

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

The Man Vs The Cause
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 04:54 PM

The 4-D Man

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

As the third season finale is approaching, I want to compare the latest opponent to the Titans, Brother Blood and his H.I.V.E. to that of their most notorious enemy of the past two years, Slade Wilson.

It's interesting that H.I.V.E. became the next enemy to the animated Titans, considering they always been the enemy in the comic. The Judas Contract was their machination and Slade worked for them, not by himself here.

I'm glad the H.I.V.E. organization is proactive again after all this time. At least somewhat. One of the comic version's main ambitions was to kill the Titans before they become too much of a threat. Here, it's more possession and control as Blood took over and warped the school from an arms dealer type to more domination.

At least it's more defined, even as subtext as opposed to Slade, who we never knew what he wanted until an utterance in "Aftershock Pt 2" with the domination.

Considering the two have the same goals, which is superior? A man or a cause?

Slade has more of an advantage because of his more screen time and his god-like approach the writers have given him. The multi-layered schemes of his make for good drama such as the Apprentice and Terra. And he's a one man army with his own set honor.

The H.I.V.E. (which got a big boost by the inclusion of Blood and his upgrade of power) has more...nobility in the anime. They hid behind the honor of a school and give a...credence to them. At least at first until Blood perverted it to his own plans.

Then it become more of a terrorist organization like in the comics.

Given the measures of honor given, I'd give this to our Terminator, Slade. Although points are given to the H.I.V.E. for creating the moral quagmire of being a school for terrorists essentially. And the addition of Blood as he took control of the school and twisted it to his own ends and achieve domination this way and gave his comic reputation a big boost and a wonderful idea of combining.

And we have Titans East to watch. Perhaps Blood can become closer to the reputation of Deathstroke.

Although I doubt it.

And even less by next year with Trigon.

--------------------
user posted image
Nevermore
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 05:03 PM

Empress of all Evil

Member No.: 8

Blood cant compare.. Slade strikes fear in the heart of many.. Blood just strikes creepiness in the hearts of said many...

I like blood.. but at the same time I think they couldve done a bit more with him... what what happened to the old headmistress?

A part of me fears we havent seen the last of Slade.... it could be a good thing... but I wonder if Boy Wonder can handle the stress of it...

--------------------
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 11 2005, 05:24 PM

The 4-D Man

That is true. Slade, the fear is real. Blood, an illusion.

Considering what Blood was (The current one killed Sebastian) in the comics, they did a wonderful job with him.

Until that promo. I don't wish to spoil.

It made me like him, which is an accomplishment.

In "Deception" when Cy was in the cafeteria, we saw a milk carton with the Headmistress' picture labeled "Missing".

Let the conspiracy theories fly.

I hope Slade returns next season, the setup in "Haunted" is too good to ignore.

--------------------
user posted image
Dragonslayer527
Posted: Jan 12 2005, 08:31 PM

Resident-in-Distress

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Hands down Slade has been portraid as the better villain. He's been more developed, and his schemes have a creepy depth.

I'm hoping to see more of Blood, so far not too much of him had really come through though.

Slade seemed like the untouchable nearly undefeatable villain, a villain possibly smarter than the Titans. Blood is like second step.

Hopefully they'll either pull in a better villain (Which Trigon is supposed to be for next season right?), or bring Blood up to par.

I'd be interesting to see Slade come back. Robin would die of shock...or over stressing.
Field
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 04:10 PM

The MisBeliever

Member No.: 35

I think it is safe to say that Slade's cause if anything is not dead. The fact remains that the mask's eyehole did glow and that somebody did activate the stuff in that dust in "Haunted." I myself am rooting for either Slade back from the never-quite-dead, Rose Wilson (of the comic universe), or both. I happen to like Rose as a character, so I'm hoping for both. smile.gif

I thought Blood was okay, but it really disappointed me that he was Cyborg's arch nemesis. To my knowledge, Raven was really the one they were all after at one point or another in the original continuity, and I thought it was sad when they didn't use all that material. It was, naturally, a bit more on the "big kid" side of the fence, while the show isn't exactly on Adult Swim, but I still think they could've done so much more with that wealth of roots instead of taking the character and almost re-vamping him completely. The only real similarity I saw was that in both the comics and the show, Blood was head of a "cult" of sorts.

Eh, I just thought it was kind of a waste. They could've at least used a different character instead of Blood in case they do end up wanting him later. It seems like they just shut off a whole proverbial mountain of ideas and content value.

dry.gif

Oh well.

More thoughts? smile.gif
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 05:49 PM

The 4-D Man

I never cared for Rose. I don't care for illegitimate children myself, but she was something when she became the Ravager and gouged out her eye after Raven Rising.

I like Joey most but I doubt either will show up (Rose because her past and Joey for his Christian appellation).

You're thinking of Blood 2.0 who killed the original and wanted to wed Raven to ressurrect Trigon. The original Blood captured both Dick (and warped his personality for a long time) and Raven and used her for his "resurrection" from ancient times. All props.

Blood 2.0 killed Sebastian and took over the cult and started Raven Rising.

I think the animators did great with him. Giving him psy powers so he can fight back instead of hiding behind his members (Sebastian had no other powers but manipulate) and melding him with the H.I.V.E. was a smart move because it gave H.I.V.E. some much needed exposure. (They were the main enemy in the comics as you know but beyond Final Exam, haven't seen them again. In any form.)

It was the best of both worlds. Although I agree about Blood being Cyborg's enemy.

Raven would have been more fitting. Or Robin given what Sebastian did to him.

But then that's what Slade is for.

--------------------
user posted image
Field
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 05:58 PM

The MisBeliever

Yeah... they did a good job pulling it off, but I think they could've fleshed out the Overload thing more or something instead of using Blood.

I read the Raven Rising saga but didn't know much about the first Blood--thanks for the info, I sort of got misdirected there. But prop or no, both Bloods (apparently) needed her and/or another character--I don't think Cyborg was as deeply involved there.

Of course, I could be wrong, but if I am so be it. I'm here to learn, anyway.

Isn't Raven an illegitimate child?
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 06:08 PM

The 4-D Man

I was confused too until I researched both. The anime actually made me like the concept, which was hard to do.

Nah, didn't see Cy do much but I think it's a mind game and upgrades as why the anime connection.

Especially if you've seen the latest spoilers.

And I have. Ugh.

And yes, she would be considering but she's a core character to the ensemble, so they had to use her, just ignore the dark past. I kept thinking Arella in "Nevermore" myself.

Rose would be more anciliary. Grant wouldn't be considering he was the reason the Judas Contract happened in the first place. A pity.

--------------------
user posted image
Field
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 06:21 PM

The MisBeliever

Just be careful what you say, please... you confused me.

I don't care for illegitimate children myself

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess, but you could've communicated yourself more clearly... wink.gif

Whatever. Anywho, I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you mention anime. As far as TT, it's an American-anime... as in, half-American art with anime influence. So... it's not really anime proper, it's a cartoon. ...What were you referencing by "anime," anyway? huh.gif

I don't think the series would handle the eye-gouging-out very well, of course... rolleyes.gif
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 06:39 PM

The 4-D Man

Nah. Personal views. And it's too easy to use that plot device anymore. Need a new character? Make an illegitimate child of an existing one. Please.

Anyway, I consider all animation anime anymore, not just the Japanese connotation.

My take on it. But you're right. I'm just lazy.

The eye gouging? Well...they handled Baxter Stockman's eye missing in TMNT 2.0 alright so I think you can, just as long you don't show it.

Looser standards I guess.

--------------------
user posted image
Field
Posted: Jan 14 2005, 06:45 PM

The MisBeliever

True. All too common among the Mary Sue community... dry.gif

I don't really like anime, so I don't like it when people say the show I watch IS anime. 'Cos it's not, really. It's really the DBZ-esque stuff that bothers me... Code Lyoko is some bad anime imitation, though. Eh, off topic.

Perhaps. It could probably be done in silhouette form, like in the comic... just without the blood-red shattered eye-lens in the next panel.

smile.gif
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 16 2005, 08:15 PM

The 4-D Man

After "Titans East Pt 1", I'm finding myself more enthalled with Blood.

I enjoyed his attitude: his smarmyness and his rants. Stereotypical? Maybe but after Slade and his psychosis (which I love, don't get me wrong) I needed a change of pace.

Something more comfortable but also, Blood has the power to back up his threats.

And that nasty rage to Cy, the only counter to his instant gratification way of things.

I think he's a nice successor to Slade.

And he knew Cy would be after him no matter where he went, played him. Like Slade know Robin would obsess and ultimately touch that mask and set off the reagent.

Although Slade was better there because he didn't need powers to get inside Robin's head.

I think Blood is more what Slade would be if he had powers. At least now his personality is more fleshed out.

And having fun.

--------------------
user posted image
ShadowRaven
Posted: Jan 17 2005, 10:51 AM

Honorary Titan

Member No.: 41

[COLOR=red]I think that Brother Blood is a much better archenemy for the Titans than Slade. Personally, I didn't care much for the Faceless One (my nickname for Slade). For one thing, he turned two of my favorite Titans into his pawns, only to have them turn on him (Robin subjected himself to the probes in "Apprentice Part 2" and threatened to destroy himself. Terra fought against the power of her suit and threw him into a pit of lava in "Aftershock Part 2.")

At least with Blood, we see his face and his identity isn't obscured. dry.gif

--------------------
Courtesy of Silverstar
user posted image
I'm a girl.
"He lied to me. He lied, and I gave him what he wanted." - Raven, "Spellbound"
Dark Weezing
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:07 PM

The 4-D Man

That was the problem with Slade: he couldn't control his Apprentices.

Robin, it was a case of controlling that fighting spirit. Mind control devices would severely distort that and make him useless.

Terra was different. Instead of controlling someone already formed, he chose to mold someone in his image. I think it took well enough, she did go through the motions in "Betrayal" and "Aftershock Pt 1" but obviously she changed her tone in "Aftershock Pt 2" and we do not see that reflection or epiphany.

Which is one of many flaws of the Terra arc.

Blood obviously doesn't have that problem with the psy powers doing the work for him but then he would get lax, like with Bumblebee. Slade did too with Terra because he had taught her and thought the teaching would stick (especially with the body suit as a backup).

To be fair, he's used to mind control with the drones and Cinderblock, so it's hard for him to deal with sentient beings so easily.

But then that laspe in the minions makes them similar. But Blood has absolution.

An advantage when making an army.

--------------------
user posted image
Kakyoin
Posted: Feb 21 2005, 11:38 PM

New God

Member No.: 1

Don't mistake vagueness for depth.

Slade's plots have always been threadbare and weak. They lack meat and interesting conspiracy to fuel them, so they hide in shadows and attack when one least expects them. An interesting strategy and commendable story-telling, but a new villain was in order after the lackluster second season. A villain who knew how to create a plot out of nothing, take defeat and turn it to victory, to really grow and develop instead of steamroll right through the faults.

That man is Brother Blood!

Robin was weak-willed when it came down to it. Unsure of himself as a leader and as a member of a team, he was easily manipulated by Slade. Cyborg, however, is a strong, loyal, and powerful force in the team who knows his role and enjoys it, not wanting to usurp.

But he wants normalcy, a dangerous gift if your powers are to create illusions and intentions in the minds of your enemies. A careful, devilish seduction of the mind. Dangerous, futile seduction. The Titans East succumbed easily. Cyborg did not. But the strange thing is.

Blood did everything Slade did, but better.

Slade utilized the HIVE.
Blood took it over.

Slade managed to use Robin to do his dirty work
Blood managed to not only use Cyborg for his evil scheme, but he managed to insult Cyborg in the process.

Slade managed to break into the Titans Tower after two seasons.
Blood did it in the first act of Titans East.

You can't beat those results.

--------------------
user posted image

ROSE: Onii-sama...sugoi
ADEL: Hmm. Touzen no kekka da.

- KoF 2003
« Next Oldest | The Titans in General | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1007 seconds · Archive