Banner & Skin created by Nevermore

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Forbidden Love. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

All members need to RE-READ THE RULES. They have been updated and everyone needs to read them. You can find the rules here
NEW MEMBERS::
Please read the rules and then introduce yourself at the Introductory Thread

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )

The Mary Sue Litmus Test, I ate a Sue yesterday and it was awful.
Chokotay
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 08:19 AM

The Fruit

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Rose Wilson @ Apr 23 2005, 07:57 PM)
I would like to say that this test is hideously biased against superheroes from the get go and the weighing system is unfair (for example, being supernaturally attractive is somehow worth the same as being 14 years old)

Also, the test is offensively sexist. Change only the gender of your character while keeping everything else the same. You'll notice a change in the points you score.

Therefore, it's a dumb thing to measure the Mary-Sueness of characters with and the people who wrote this should be ashamed of themselves.

To be fair, it measures the most common stereotypes. Many Sues are often fourteen, freakishly attractive, female, and so on forth. It's also a general test--I wasn't able to find a Teen Titans litmus test. (*Erk*)

--------------------
QUOTE (Kuchiki Rukia of Bleach)
"You don't have the authority to say that to me!"

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

For every time a person asks a question on the FAQ, I kill a kitten. Please. Think of the kittens.
DangerInRed
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 09:06 AM

Pretty Princess

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

It's also a general test--I wasn't able to find a Teen Titans litmus test. (*Erk*)

Maybe we should formulate one!

--------------------
raven676
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 01:21 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 280

A Mary Sue is normally an original character who is absolutely bleeding perfect--annoyingly so. Her flaws normally help her, everyone falls in love with her, her powers are insanely powerful, and more often than not, it's wishfullfillment. One of the distinguishing features is the warping of canonical characters--for example, a Mary Sue would become Slade's apprentice, but no one would care or notice and just make her their next Titan!!

There's a key at the bottom of the page.

This is a Mary-Sue. Look up on the page.

And I used Raven and got a 36. Then again no Titans would be that low.

thank you! but my person isnt extremely beautiful or perfect! her powers are hidden, and she is a regect by most! why would i get a high score from that?!?!?

--------------------
user posted image My TTNG, Raven and Robin's.

TTNG- Teen Titans Next Generation.

For the official shrine for The Teen Titans' kids, Click Here
[lovequestionmark]
  Posted: Jun 8 2005, 12:33 AM

New Neighbor

Member No.: 365

http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/otto/grays...y-sue-test.html

There's another designed for fiction especially. ^^
[lovequestionmark]
  Posted: Jun 8 2005, 12:37 AM

New Neighbor

Member No.: 365

QUOTE (raven676 @ Apr 30 2005, 01:21 PM)

thank you! but my person isnt extremely beautiful or perfect! her powers are hidden, and she is a regect by most! why would i get a high score from that?!?!?

There's more than one type of Mary-Sue.
The most common is the overly beautiful, flirtatious, magical one, who is adored by all and saves the day, and always is a sister of a cannon character (or some other relation)
However, there is also the stereotypical angsty one, who angst about any powers that are good, hides past, thinks the past is their fault even when there's proof it isn't, is very emotional and feels outcasted. Yours might follow the second.
DeathscytheHell
Posted: Jun 8 2005, 02:14 AM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 106

Heh, i used my first (and only) Rp character, scored 36 sad.gif these guys have high standards..........

oh well

Therefore, it's a dumb thing to measure the Mary-Sueness of characters with and the people who wrote this should be ashamed of themselves

Part 2: If your character receives a high score, it is NOT an attack against you. I am in no way to be accused of bashing your character, capice?

--------------------
user posted image
sig by Ayria
raven676
Posted: Jun 8 2005, 10:22 AM

Meta-Human

actually, mine isnt all like the second one either. shes just quiet and stuff, she doesnt think everythings all her fault, but she knows she couldve helped prevent what happend to some, she doesnt wellow in the dark, thinking about death, she likes to have some fun, but knows when to stop. yeah, she had a tragic past, but who in the titans didnt? she isnt related to any of them in any way, and has known none of them before.
i dont really think she'd be a mary sue, or whatever they're called.

--------------------

Severus Rage
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 11:29 AM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 305

Pyro/Rage pulled 28, give or take. He still isn't borderline, considering I could logically explain the questionable parts of his past and such.

For example... Yes, Rage looks like he's in his thirties, considering he's around 380 years old.
Pyro looks like a Teen because he's in his fourties, but tha's practically pre-teen for his race.
Their race averages around 400 years of age, thanks to the power attributed to them.
The 'fire of life' is not easily extingueshed...

--------------------
user posted image

"Ich würde gern etwas zerstören
Doch es darf nicht mir gehören
Ich will ein guter Junge sein
Doch das Verlangen holt mich ein..."

"Ich muss zerstören!"
AinoMinako
Posted: Jul 29 2005, 12:21 PM

New Hero

Member No.: 245

Someone should run a check of Starfire... I would if I had the time.
raven676
Posted: Dec 6 2005, 07:23 PM

Meta-Human

Isn't this topic long dead?

--------------------

Chokotay
Posted: Dec 6 2005, 10:07 PM

The Fruit

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

To be fair, I've also pinned it, so it's questionable whether or not a pinned topic can ever be considered dead unless it's closed.

However, I was hoping that this thread would be less bragging and more of a, "Well, I have the litmus test scores. Now what can I make of it to improve my character?" thing. You know how it works.

As I see it, this thread should remain open indefinitely. People who have questions about their litmus test results may post here for advice and revisions. Discussions about, say, making a Teen Titans litmus test wouldn't be entirely unwelcome, either.

--------------------
QUOTE (Kuchiki Rukia of Bleach)
"You don't have the authority to say that to me!"

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

For every time a person asks a question on the FAQ, I kill a kitten. Please. Think of the kittens.
« Next Oldest | Role Playing | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2] 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0487 seconds · Archive