Banner & Skin created by Nevermore

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Forbidden Love. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

All members need to RE-READ THE RULES. They have been updated and everyone needs to read them. You can find the rules here
NEW MEMBERS::
Please read the rules and then introduce yourself at the Introductory Thread

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

The Mary Sue Litmus Test, I ate a Sue yesterday and it was awful.
Chokotay
Posted: Jan 9 2005, 05:03 PM

The Fruit

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2

Tests not only your fan fic character, but your roleplaying character, too! Dead useful. Also provides a sort of comparison stick; if your character has 100 points, I'll stick a sword through its kidney. Or it'll just be rejected. Either one.

http://www.springhole.net/library/marysue.htm

--------------------
QUOTE (Kuchiki Rukia of Bleach)
"You don't have the authority to say that to me!"

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

For every time a person asks a question on the FAQ, I kill a kitten. Please. Think of the kittens.
Trey
Posted: Jan 13 2005, 03:26 AM

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 34

Brooder
This poor fellow has a deep, dark past. His parents might be dead, his village might be burned, or he might be a vampire bemoaning his dark and lonely path in life. He's often reluctant to talk about what's troubling him - he'd much rather wallow in self-pity as a means to get "unwanted" attention from other players.

This character sounds like me if I am accepted to the RP at the RP section.
Chokotay
Posted: Jan 13 2005, 12:22 PM

The Fruit

Make a character that isn't a self-insert.

...and that character you have sounds positively dull. FYI, if your character matches the description of the cliche catalogue, that's not supposed to be a good thing.

--------------------

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

For every time a person asks a question on the FAQ, I kill a kitten. Please. Think of the kittens.
Mega
Posted: Jan 18 2005, 11:24 PM

Resident-in-Distress

Member No.: 16

28.....a shadow vampire.

Doubt that helps any....
Chibi Spirit
Posted: Jan 18 2005, 11:36 PM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 45

I got a 23...Is that bad??? What's a Mary-Sue anyways? I'm so sad...
Chokotay
Posted: Jan 19 2005, 06:51 AM

The Fruit

A Mary Sue is normally an original character who is absolutely bleeding perfect--annoyingly so. Her flaws normally help her, everyone falls in love with her, her powers are insanely powerful, and more often than not, it's wishfullfillment. One of the distinguishing features is the warping of canonical characters--for example, a Mary Sue would become Slade's apprentice, but no one would care or notice and just make her their next Titan!!11 omg!11

There's a key at the bottom of the page.

--------------------

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

the quiet one
Posted: Mar 21 2005, 03:32 AM

Resident-in-Distress

Member No.: 100

kool i got 24

Black Widow- a missunder stood half demonic temptress.

--------------------
Space boy, come and kill me. befor im dead and gone.
Chokotay
Posted: Mar 21 2005, 04:52 PM

The Fruit

And... it's still rather bad.

Just because it scores low on the Sue meter doesn't mean it's any good, 'm afraid.

--------------------

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

NetherPhoenix
Posted: Mar 24 2005, 12:56 AM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 221

I feel like crap. My character Razika, the lady vampire who appears in my upcoming Legacy of Kain/Sailor Moon crossover, is apparently a Mary Sue, since I scored a 42. However, I can explain most of the things that make her a Mary Sue.

First, she was created when Kain used his blood to free Raziel from the Soul Reaver, basically the result of Kain's blood mixing with a portion of Raziel's spirit. Therefore, she has the powers and skills of both and since Kain and Raziel are highly evolved vampires (one's described as a demigod and the other is described as a demonic angel of death), she is very powerful. However, she is not well-liked by most of the canon characters in both Legacy of Kain and Sailor Moon. Usagi wants her to be her friend and Ami just thinks she could be a useful ally, but the other Sailor Senshi don't trust or like her one bit. As for Kain and Raziel, they don't really know how to deal with her, since she was created from them and is sort of their daughter, which leads to a lot of disturbing mental images.

I suppose what doomed Razika to Mary Sue-dom was that I set her up with Sailor Mars and that I had her sacrifice her life to stop the Hylden Lord, only to return at the end of the story. However, Janos Audron explains that this is what she's meant to do as the hybrid form of Raziel and Kain, that the fusion of blood and spirit that created her was engineered by the Powers That Be in order to defeat the Hylden menace. As for her return, her spirit merged itself with the body of Sailor Venus, since Venus also had feelings for Mars.

--------------------
"The training is nothing. The will is everything." - Ducard, Batman Begins
Chokotay
Posted: Mar 24 2005, 03:23 PM

The Fruit

It can work both ways--just because your character has a ton of Sue-like traits doesn't mean it's a Sue, but your character can have minimal Sue traits and still be a Sue. It depends on you the character's presented and... well, all that jazz.

--------------------

Icon by malthide_ at LJ.

Lo-chan
Posted: Mar 25 2005, 05:18 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 83

laugh.gif I tested my fave RP char and got 127, but I've never really thought of her as a MS, and no one else has ever mentioned it, either. Great test, though!

The main problem is that she's a shadow-person, and she's a villain who has a large scar from a fight she got while defending someone. Oh well. That was the coolest part of the RP, in my opinion. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
>Join the army of fangirls who seek and destroy all boys that break your heart! Put this picture in your sig and become one of us! (You get your choice of weapons too) ((Mine's a pencil >=D......
jazzjinx92
Posted: Mar 28 2005, 02:26 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 25

ouch. i got 85.
but its a manga charachter......does that count?
help here! *dies of confusion*
Rose Wilson
Posted: Apr 23 2005, 06:57 PM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 255

I would like to say that this test is hideously biased against superheroes from the get go and the weighing system is unfair (for example, being supernaturally attractive is somehow worth the same as being 14 years old)

Also, the test is offensively sexist. Change only the gender of your character while keeping everything else the same. You'll notice a change in the points you score.

Therefore, it's a dumb thing to measure the Mary-Sueness of characters with and the people who wrote this should be ashamed of themselves.
raven676
Posted: Apr 29 2005, 06:22 PM

Meta-Human

Member No.: 280

Therefore, it's a dumb thing to measure the Mary-Sueness of characters with and the people who wrote this should be ashamed of themselves.

dude...thats a little harsh! and whats a Mary Sue? and what does it mean if you got a really high score? i am really confused here!!!!

--------------------
user posted image My TTNG, Raven and Robin's.

TTNG- Teen Titans Next Generation.

For the official shrine for The Teen Titans' kids, Click Here
Master of Darkness
Posted: Apr 29 2005, 07:07 PM

Hero in Training

Member No.: 26

QUOTE (Chokotay @ Jan 19 2005, 07:51 AM)
A Mary Sue is normally an original character who is absolutely bleeding perfect--annoyingly so. Her flaws normally help her, everyone falls in love with her, her powers are insanely powerful, and more often than not, it's wishfullfillment. One of the distinguishing features is the warping of canonical characters--for example, a Mary Sue would become Slade's apprentice, but no one would care or notice and just make her their next Titan!!

There's a key at the bottom of the page.

This is a Mary-Sue. Look up on the page.

And I used Raven and got a 36. Then again no Titans would be that low.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Role Playing | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1169 seconds · Archive