website stats

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

"Modern Times" in St. Louis this year
prgwbtd
Posted: Nov 22 2007, 10:55 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

New Year's is quickly approaching which means that the St. Louis symphony orchestra is gearing up for its annual two nights of Chaplin features. This year it is Modern Times which I am looking forward to. Association Chaplin only rents the prints and music of the films to certain conductors because of the difficulty of the music timing with the picture. You all can recall the Mickey Mousing extravaganza of the music that happens in just the first 15 minutes. That coupled with the timing for the sound effects would be very difficult to conduct. Heck, even Chaplin had a difficult time matching the music to the picture while he was composing it. David Robertson is one of the premiere conductors in the United States, and luckily has the trust of the Chaplin estate to do the film justice.

Have any of you seen Modern Times performed live? If so, how did it go?
HTTK
Posted: Nov 24 2007, 10:43 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

I'm in Missouri and about 4 hours from St. Louis, I haven't heard about this!!! ohmy.gif
Could you please give me more info about this?? Website or anything.
Would apprentice that so much as it sounds like an event I'd love to go to! smile.gif
A few years back I knew of City Lights playing in St. Louis but I missed it. sad.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Lip-Stick, our newest silent comedy
Click here to watch the movie!
annie
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 02:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 297

Tomorrow I will go to see Modern Times in our town (I couldn't believe it when I saw the date on the Chaplin website and got tickets at once).
The conductor will be Gunther Buchwald who also conducted the music for a 1989 documentary in Germany (I don't know if it was ever dubbed into English and shown anywhere outside of Germany. The title is Making A Living.
I will give a short review of the screening.

--------------------
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" Charles Chaplin
annie
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:55 AM

Advanced Member

Yesterday I went to see Modern Times with live orchestra at our theater. There were two screenings that day, one in the morning for students and one in the evening. At both events the theater was nearly sold out. Eugene Chaplin had come to the morning session but couldnít stay until evening, too bad.
According to the newspaper he is now a director at the Zirkus Nock, the second largest circus of Switzerland (the biggest probably being Zirkus Knie which also has a connection to Chaplin). He was trained as stage manager (I hope this is the correct translation) and worked at the Opera in Geneva. He also worked as a sound engineer in Montreux and is involved in the creation of the Chaplin Museum at the Manoir de Ban.
The first thing I noticed was that the majority of the audience were young people. It is good that the next generation also knows or gets to know Chaplin.
I was sitting in the tier so I could hear the reactions from the audience below, which was hilarious. It is so much fun to watch a film together with a few hundred other people. The music was great, of course. In a few cases the orchestra started too late or was finished too soon and then Paulette had to dance without music.
In the scene with the chaplainís wife the radio announcment that the prisoner who prevented the breakout will be released is made before Charlie comes into the office. In the German version this message is said when Charlie turns on the radio. I always wondered why he never reacts to this announcement but now I understand. This is one more reason to get the complete MK2 box set to be able to watch the films in English.
Although I have seen quite a few of Chaplinís films now on the big screen it is always a great experience and I will keep an eye on the schedule on the official Chaplin website.

--------------------
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" Charles Chaplin
prgwbtd
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 11:18 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 117

The website for the St. Louis showing is here: St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. You can get tickets online and they'll mail them or you can pick them up the night of the show. They just started this tradition a couple of years ago with City Lights which I was fortunate to see. I live in Memphis which is about a 5 hour drive for me. I'm looking forward to it this year : )

For those of you who saw Modern Times live, how did they handle Chaplin singing at the end? Was the sound all on film or did the orchestra play?
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 05:49 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Thank you for the info., Annie.

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
annie
Posted: Nov 29 2007, 01:33 AM

Advanced Member

prgwbtd, when Charlie sings at the end the whole sound is on film and the orchestra pauses.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0223 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker