website stats

Create your own social network with a free forum.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

A Little Help, Come out of the woodwork...
prgwbtd
Posted: Nov 14 2007, 05:29 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

As a lot of you may know, I had to take down my website because it was getting to big for me to manage correctly with the software I was using. Anyway, I'm in the process of the redesign and I plan on having it 100% completed when you see it again.

Here's where you can help me. I need to know all of the people that Chaplin had major interactions with. I know the obvious ones like Pickford, Fairbanks, his family, etc. But I need other people like George Bernard Shaw, or Marion Davies, or Nijinksy - people that he knew and who influenced his life in some way. I can't think of all of them on my own, so if you guys would be so kind as to provide names for me - I'm sure that there will be some that I wouldn't think about. In this case two heads (or more hopefully) are better than one. If you could list the names and then what Chaplin's association with them was (friend, lover, etc.) it would help me out a lot! Thanks in advance.
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 07:42 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

I just popped in when I got to work, and a few names have also popped into my head, which is surprising, since I barely know my own at 7:30 AM.

For the moment, am thinking of Winston Churchill (I guess they considered themselves friends), friend and romantic rival Max Eastman, friend and some say a "part-time" lover of his, Ralph Barton, the actress Constance Collier (there is a lot about her in the Jerry Epstein book and she and Chaplin knew each other for years. Some say she is the person who worked with him in "refining" his accent), what's-his-name, the English writer, Thomas (?) Burke, who he met on one of the London visits (I don't think they were actually friends, but they grew up in the same area and Burke also went to Hanwell School and felt better about it than CC), other writers such as Alistair Cooke and James Agee. I can't believe I remembered this person's name: Clara Haskil, a pianist he knew in Switzerland, and I think he was pretty friendly with Samuel Goldwyn.

That's all for now. I think they did all influence him in some way.

(I just came back to this almost 11 hours later and saw that I had tons of typos. I guess 7:30 AM is alittle too early for me to be posting things!).

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
Chaplin Chick
Posted: Nov 15 2007, 07:13 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 156

A good source for names of friends, associates, acquaintances etc. would be the Chaplin Encyclopedia by Glen Mitchell 1997. I purchased it from Amazon a few months ago. It is chalked full of this type of info. I don't have it here at work or I would list some names. sad.gif

--------------------
"A perfect love is the most beautiful of all frustrations because it is more than one can express." Charlie Chaplin "My Autobiography"
prgwbtd
Posted: Nov 16 2007, 04:47 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks, I might check that out. It would be nice to have one source for all of that instead of combing though a pile of books hoping to come across these people.
annie
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 01:52 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 297

Here are some suggestions from my side, maybe they are not the kind of people you were asking for but I think all of them influenced him in some way:

- Loella Parsons and Hedda Hopper, two columnists (I would have to check the newspapers they worked for)
- J. Edgar Hoover
- Jerry Epstein, who worked for him from Limelight until A Countess from Hong Kong and was his friend.
- Minnie Madern Fiske, who wrote the article The Art of Charlie Chaplin in 1916.
- Hetty Kelly, his first love
- William C. Gillette; he was Sherlock Holmes and young Charles Chaplin played Billy
- Max Linder, the French comedien who inspired Chaplin in many ways.
- Marceline, the great French Clown. Chaplin saw him when he (Marceline) had lost his ability to make people laugh. Chaplin used this case and others as an inspiration for his character Calvero
- May Reeves, Pola Negri, his lovers
- Fred Karno
- and the unknown admirer who wrote a letter to Chaplin after he had seen The Fireman. The text of the letter is printed in the Vance book on page 63. It ends: "... I am afraid you are becoming a slave to your public, whereas in most of your pictures the audiences were a slave to you. The public, Charlie, likes to be slaves." And this is Vance's comment: "It was a great lesson to Chaplin. For the rest of his career, he trusted and adherred to his own ideas and likes rahter than attempting to speculate on the perceived preferences of the public."

- Peggy Hopkins Joyce; she was the model for Marie St. Claire in A Woman of Paris
- Claire Sheridan; she was an artist and created a bust of him; his lover
- Tim Durant, who worked for him and was a friend
- Rummy Binks: he was the model for the trampís walk
- Joan Barry no comment

--------------------
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" Charles Chaplin
prgwbtd
Posted: Nov 20 2007, 10:50 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks, those are all good suggestions.
Cally
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 01:15 AM

Member No.: 132

I have not posted here in a long time since I have been so busy however, I saw this and had to post two names for you.

Melissa Hayden: Chaplin's choreographer for Limelight who passed away last year and who happened to be my Aunt

Andre Eglevsky: Co-choreographer for Limelight and also my Aunt's partner in the New York City Ballet

--------------------
scraps
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 01:03 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

hi, cally! it has been a long time! hope you'll post more often. hope you've been doing well! smile.gif

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0266 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker