website stats

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

Pages: (7) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

A few things, Nothing exciting
Mitsouko
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 06:28 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 95

Yeah, Terra it is his real name, hell I'd change it too. I still have a crush on him. Him and the older CC...now those are two older men I could easily find myself being with. None others, tho. yeck. Because they maintained their charm. Another one I loved him in was Deathtrap with Chris Reeve. Yowsa! I saw Zulu; god it's violent, why did 2 kids go to see that? Strange choice...hahaha

I guess I just got a thing for curly hair and blue eyes. LOL

--------------------
Mitsouko ohmy.gif
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 06:48 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Mitsouko @ Aug 2 2006, 07:28 PM)
Yowsa! I saw Zulu; god it's violent, why did 2 kids go to see that? Strange choice...hahaha

My father traveled, and my mother was at her wits end because it was raining and the basement was suddenly overrun with beetles, which she and my grandmother (who lived with us off and on) spent the day killing. Afterwards, with my mother still upset about the carnage in the basement, my grandmother said, "Why don't we take the kids and go to the movies? There's a movie playing that got an excellent review in Time magazine". The movie was Zulu. That's all my mother knew - that it had a good review in Time. So off we went, and met 2 of our neighbors - the men of the families - who asked my mother what she was doing bringing the kids to that movie. When she asked why, they told her it was supposed to be very violent. She was embarrassed, but in we went. I don't remember my grandmother's reaction, but my mother sat hiding her eyes through much of it, while my sister and I wondered when the violence was going to start. blink.gif
I remember the dead Zulus reminded me of the dead bugs (that sounds terrible). Also, I decided I "liked" Stanley Baker, who played the main character. At 6! He was probably at least in his mid-30's. Even as a pre-teen, when my friends were "in love" with Bobby Sherman or someone like that, (yes, remember how old I am!), I preferred the "mature" Robert Redford.
Anyway, that's the Zulu story.

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 10:42 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

personally, i don't see the attraction to michael caine, but i think he is a great actor, and i have heard of other women who feel the same way you do, mits, about him. this will probably sound batty, but i had a thing for donald sutherland! i fell in love with him when he did M*A*S*H back in the 70's, and i never really got over it. i love his voice. and i still think he is a wonderful actor.

terra, if you grew up watching saturday morning cartoons - that probably prepared you for the violence of the movie 'zulu' you described!

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 07:15 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (Mitsouko @ Aug 2 2006, 05:23 PM)
(although Professor does a great job, best I've seen of anyone even remotely trying to do him, but he has succeeded!)

blush blush blush...

Chaplin sized I ain't ...I'm average height, maybe slightly smaller than most guys I know, about 5'8 or 9. The secret is surrounding yourself with actors bigger than you.
wink.gif

I love me some Eddie Izzard, the guy is hilarious. I'd love to see his standup live. I've got a couple of his DVDs. He didn't make a very good Chaplin, but he tried. I think Prince would be great dressed as Chaplin, only for the strangeness of it. Or maybe Joel Grey in his younger days....he was a tiny Chaplinesque man.

ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 07:19 AM

Advanced Member

ok, i'll voice my opinion on this 'hunky man' discussion....on my wife's behalf I'll throw in Sean Connery, Gene Wilder, Alan Rickman (ESPECIALLY Alan Rickman) and Patrick Stewart. She loves tiny goth angsty singer guys too (can't name them because i don't know their names), but if Alan Rickman walked into our living room, I'd be a goner.
laugh.gif

scraps
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 10:13 AM

Advanced Member

i love gene wilder, too. i think we've covered him on another girly thread, though. sean connery is pretty hot - is it me, or does his accent seem to get thicker and thicker the older he gets? alan rickman...i've never thought of him that way before - he's a great actor. i know he's done bigger films than 'dogma,' but i loved him in that.

and alan alda. he and gonzo from 'the addams family' were my first crushes as a kid. alda taught me to love sarcasm. i don't know who all here ever watches the show 'futurama,' but there was one episode that featured a robot doctor that was patterned after hawkeye on M*A*S*H. he constantly wore a robe and had a martini glass in his hand. he would crack jokes until something serious happened - then he would flip a switch on him somewhere that changed him to the sensitive caregiver - "damn, damn, damn! don't you die on me!" it was so funny!

--------------------
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 10:23 AM

Advanced Member

mostly Alan Rickman in 'Robin Hood' and as Snape from Harry Potter...that floats her boat.
scraps, did you mean Gomez from the Addams Family? or Gonzo from the Muppet Show?
scraps
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 10:49 AM

Advanced Member

LOL! yes, i did mean gomez! damn, i didn't mean to blurt out that i have a thing for that chicken-lovin' muppet! laugh.gif

yes, rickman was outstanding in 'robin hood.' i read somewhere that something like twenty minutes of the film he was in was cut because it was felt he was stealing the show too much from costner. do ya think??

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 12:06 PM

Advanced Member

Did anyone else get the latest Discover Chaplin Newsletter today? It makes me even more anxious for those restored Keystones (Charlie playing tennis in The Star Boarder?). Also, some info. on a documentary on Edna and alittle info. on the reissue of "A Comedian Sees the World" (both of which I had read abut elsewhere too).

Is anyone else glad that once Kevin Costner left his wife at the height of his career, because "it's my time", his career started to hit the skids? I can't stand him.

Do you still like John Astin ("Gomez"), Scraps? He's toured with a show in Edgar Allen Poe for years. You need to move up this way to see some of your favs in person (I've never seen him, though). A friend and I saw Alan Alda in a show, Jake's Woman a number of years ago. You're sitting there thinking, "It's reallyAlan Alda (or whoever) in person!"

Was it you Scraps, who asked about Fay Wray? She died, but only within the last year or two.

--------------------
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 12:18 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (terra cotta @ Aug 3 2006, 12:06 PM)

Do you still like John Astin ("Gomez"), Scraps? He's toured with a show in Edgar Allen poe for years.

I'm a big John Astin fan, he seems like such a nice guy. I've always wanted to see his one-man Poe show (I've only seen photos from it)

scraps
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 12:20 PM

Advanced Member

i don't feel exactly the same way about gomez now (not like i do gonzo laugh.gif ), but i think he is a great comedian - remember he was on 'night court' for a few seasons? i just wanted him to kiss me up and down my arm and call me cara mia like he did with morticia. rolleyes.gif i was a weird little kid.

ah, that fay wray thing was a reference from 'rocky horror picture show.'

and yes, i did get my chaplin newsletter today, but i haven't had a chance to read all of it yet. i have the 57 classics and in 'the star boarder,' i am pretty sure there is a scene where the tramp is playing, or trying to play, anyway - tennis.

--------------------
scraps
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 03:03 PM

Advanced Member

user posted image

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 06:27 PM

Advanced Member

You really need to come this way Scraps - I saw Tim Curry in Spamalot last summer. Not with juicy, red lips, though.

Also, you are right about the "trying to play" tennis in The Star Boarder. I watched it before and there was a tennis court scene, with Charlie attempting to serve. I guess Lisa Stein's memory is about as "good" as mine!

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Aug 3 2006, 07:55 PM

Advanced Member

ooh - i would love to see 'spamalot!' really. i'd kill to see that production. a friend of mine saw it last winter and sent me a pin that says: i'm not dead yet! she said it was fantastic. i can sit and watch monty python for hours. thankfully, i don't do it very often, because when i do i end up spouting off quotes like mad for days afterwards. what did you think of it?

i love tim curry as well - so talented. that voice! did you or anyone here ever happen to see the 1985 movie "legend?" one of tom cruise's first movies, i believe. i own it and like to watch it from time to time, it's great. tim curry played the lord of darkness and he was the most convincing devil i have ever seen on screen.

but 'rocky horror picture show'....what a classic. unfortunately, i have not yet seen it at one of the theaters where the audience participates with the movie & such. sad.gif it is on my list of things to do, though.

--------------------
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 08:17 AM

Advanced Member

yessss....Tim Curry is the MAN.
'What is light without a little....darrrkness' (I think I'm quoting that wrong, but he was excellent in 'Legend')
scraps
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 10:45 AM

Advanced Member

i hear a throat begging to be cut!
user posted image

This post has been edited by scraps on Aug 4 2006, 11:13 AM

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 07:53 PM

Advanced Member

I've seen parts of Legend, I think (are there "little people" in it?), but never the whole thing. Is that Tim Curry? Was that all make-up? How long would that have taken to get on and off???

Spamalot: There is a whole "I'm Not Dead Yet Song", sung by Not Dead Fred, and others. Plus, as in the Holy Grail movie, the coconut hoof sounds, the Knights Who Say "Ni", the Black Knight (I couldn't figure out how they did all the limb cutting off). etc. I shouldn't give it away, but the Grail is "found" under an audience member's seat, and that person is brought on stage, and the cast sings a song, using the person's name. We saw an older woman, who kept telling David Hyde Pierce ,of Fraser fame, that she loved him. I usually like the darker things, in shows and movies, but sometimes silly fun is very good too! Has anyone ever seen "Dame Edna", live or on TV? "She" tours - try to catch if you can - very funny (and "she" brings a number of people onstage during the course of the show).

Two of my top 5 favorite movies were on TCM this morning, The Yearling (I watched the last 30 minutes. I've cried buckets over that movie for years), and To Kill A Mockingbird (Actually, that one makes me cry too.). I think both those movies had some of the best child performances ever.

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Aug 4 2006, 08:19 PM

Advanced Member

oh man, now i just want to see 'spamalot' even more! sad.gif i wonder how long it will run. i have a cd of monty python's 'sings!' which is so hilarious. i can't tell you how many people i've annoyed over the years by saying "ni!" over and over at inappropriate moments.

'to kill a mockingbird,' is one of my absolute all time favorite movies/book. it is one of the few movies that stayed pretty true to the book and the characters were perfectly cast. i heard - maybe from faithful old osborne - that dill's character was patterned after andy warhol, who was a childhood friend of the writer, harper lee.

and yes, billy barty was one of the 'little people' in 'legend.' after talking about it, i have a craving to dig it out of the pile and watch it this weekend. yeah - tim curry must have had a hell of a time getting all that makeup off and on!

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 5 2006, 11:44 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (scraps @ Aug 4 2006, 09:19 PM)

i heard - maybe from faithful old osborne - that dill's character was patterned after andy warhol, who was a childhood friend of the writer, harper lee. 

Could it have been Truman Capote, as opposed to Andy Warhol? I know she and T.C. were friends, but then again, it mayhave been Andy Warhol.

Spamalot is pretty popular, so should be around awhile longer, plus I think there is at least one touring company out there. And it's also playing in London, in case you want to hop over there! In fact, when Tim Curry left the NY production, he went there to play King Arthur (who he had played here also), but I don't know if he's still doing the role.

That guy I had thought would be a good Charlie, Max von Essen, will actually be in one of the shows in the New York Musical Festival, but, sadly, not the Chaplin show.

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Aug 5 2006, 06:46 PM

Advanced Member

dammit! what is wrong with me? i have killed waaaay too many brain cells. yes, that was who i meant - capote - not warhol. gonzo - gomez - i swear i am getting right balmy. blink.gif

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (7) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0579 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker