website stats

Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

Pages: (7) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

A few things, Nothing exciting
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 14 2006, 04:21 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

Yes, they could join the army or the navy. I guess the idea was to set the "poor" kids on the road to a career (???).
More growing up early, my grandmother on the German side was "farmed" out (sent to live and work on a farm) when she was 12, and never lived at home again. She came her to the United States when she was 19 (an older brother was living here), cleaned houses during the day and went to school at night. She eventually forgot the names of most of her siblings, having not seen them for so many years.

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
Mitsouko
Posted: Jul 15 2006, 10:13 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 95

Butch Cassidy: I remember the ads for it on tv, but I was 3. So nyah! cool.gif I also remember the ads for the Exorcist and it scared the pants off me. I HATED anything to do with horror movies when I was a kid, I was a big baby. Doesnt bother me now. But my brother was big into horror movies and had a huge book with all the bloody (HAHA) scenes in it from Dracula, etc. I was so scared I would scream if he opened the book near me. LOLOLOL

--------------------
Mitsouko ohmy.gif
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 16 2006, 10:30 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mitsouko @ Jul 15 2006, 11:13 PM)
Butch Cassidy: I remember the ads for it on tv, but I was 3. So nyah!  cool.gif 

And I was...older! wink.gif

I was reading an article in the paper tonight about Rita Wilson (Tom Hanks' wife), who took over one of the lead roles, the "Roxy" character, in the Broadway production of Chicago last month (it was an Assoc. Press article,so it probably can be seen in other than this area, or on-line). She said virtually every original dance step by choreographer Bob Fosse was still used and had its own special name:
"Nothing is accidental. Not one head nod. Not one head tilt. Not one hand angle. That was so amazing to me. I was in shock". I thought, "Hmmm.. who else does that sound like?" She went on to say, "Now they talk to me in code. They'll say, 'All right, after you do the Judy Garland, but before you get into the Eddie Cantors, don't forget that you have to do the Chaplin.' "

Chicago is one show I still haven't seen. Now I think I have to go just to see if I can spot "the Chaplin"! biggrin.gif (Does anyone have the movie version? I don't know if they used the Fosse choreography, and when I saw the movie, I certainly wasn't looking for "the Chaplin").

--------------------
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
gabigirl777
Posted: Jul 18 2006, 09:01 PM

love charlie chaplin he is a glowing star!!

Member No.: 44

i dont liek the sound of this play,

it sound very netive and charlie not to here to say his side of it , ..i dont think it works..
on the other hand my other favorit actor john cuscak started out in the pivin theater , jermeny pivin, his family long standing acting theater...

gabigirl

and yes , charlie was at the age wear girls did married young at 14 years.... buy the time he is married to lita grey ... most peole in the world and the state did maried young as 14 and 16 years ... i just think charlie was in the lime light and want himself to American sweetheart like mary pickford..
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 07:00 PM

Advanced Member

If you scroll down here, there is an article about yet another Chaplin show, a musical, although this one seems to have more going for it. That being said, the producer has been "carefully working" on aiming it towards Broadway since 1993, and this article, which refers to a pre-Broadway run, is from August, 2001. I've seen no sign of it. (However, I did see a show today, "The Drowsy Chaperone" , a musical, and if it tours and comes your way, go see it - it's very good. Very funny). Meanwhile, the show in the first article "Puppetry of the Penis did come to New York (off-Broadway. No, I did not see it, but a friend's daughter did. She was left alittle speechless).

If you look at the cast for the show, you'll see that yet again, they have the same actress playing Hetty and another important woman in Charlie's life, in this case his mother. That Hetty/Another Important Woman thing is something I'd like to see avoided in the future.

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
Mitsouko
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 08:58 PM

Advanced Member

MMM, yeah, they need to separate the two images of the women, no matter how he did or supposedly saw them both. It's silly and confusing.

--------------------
Mitsouko ohmy.gif
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 09:30 PM

Advanced Member

Here is a link to a Charlie musical that not only seems to have garnered some respect, it's one I may actually be able to see. And the tickets are only $20.00 (as opposed to $120.00). Although, they make it sound that the way to ensure tickets to all the shows put on by this New York Musical Theater Festival is to join. I may have to. This particular show will be performed in a church, so I don't know how much seating will be available. Anyway, try to listen to the songs when you get a chance. A couple may be too schmaltzy for some of you, but I liked them. They seem to be cramming alot of years in, though.

Here are some pictures of the production of this show that was performed at Vasser College last year. Note the little blond Charlie. The actor playing the "middle" Charlie (as opposed to child and old), Luther Creek (yes, that's his name), I saw in the show Urinetown a few years ago. It was only his 2nd performance. While he was very good, I thought he was wrong for the part, and really, I don't think I'd like him as Charlie. He's actually in NY right now, in a show at Lincoln Center, that ends in early Sept., which would free him up to do this show. I hope not (Well, if I don't see it, I really don't care, but if I do, I'd rather see someone more "Charlie"-like. He's a very good actor, very good singer, but...Prof. Bosco, can you come to New York in Sept.??? You can work on your singing between now and then laugh.gif ).

(A couple of additional songs - along with some of those on the 1st link above - can be gotten to from here), inc. a pretty (and maybe "schmaltzy") song by "Syd".

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 29 2006, 01:04 PM

Advanced Member

I've come upon these articles several times in the past, so this time, decided to post them:

Chaplin the Director (I've wondered the same thing about the scene described from The Kid).

"Hypothesis"

Yet another upcoming Chaplin book available for pre-order on Amazon:

book

(I just ordered "the first Lita book", having read the 2nd a few months ago. Just to compare, you know).

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 31 2006, 01:15 PM

Advanced Member

A couple of years ago, my sister, niece and I went into the city on a Saturday to go to Madame Tussaud's (Wax Museum). This is the one in NY. There was a Tramp figure, but I wasn't "excited" at the time, more annoyed that Mel Gibson was no longer out (and WHAT is up with him???). I think the Tramp there may be the same figure that gabigirl posted. This past Saturday, my sister and her family went in together to go back to the museum (it was the first time for my nephew and bro-in-law, and I wasn't sure how into it they'd be, but my nephew enjoyed it, my brother-in-law not as much). Yesterday, my sister called to tell me how the day went. She called back alittle later to say she'd forgotten to have me guess who she and my niece took pictures of each other with. I asked, "Charlie?". She said, "Well, yes, the Tramp". My nephew wanted to know why they were taking so many pictures of Charlie Chaplin. She said,
"For Aunt ' Terra' " (she said that they took reg. and digital pics, and that he looks greenish in the digitals - hmmm... she said that about the action figure too). My 6 foot tall nephew also wondered why the figure was so short. My sister said, "That's because he was pretty short". I like to think that the 5'6 1/2'' height is correct, so I said, "He was actually only about a half inch shorter than (my bro-in-law)." Sister said, "He (the figure) was much smaller in the museum". I told her that CC wanted the Tramp to appear to be small for a variety of reasons, and even to having a wanted poster in one movie that said he was 5'4" (of course, he wasn't actually playing the Tramp in that one). Her response was, "Is there anything you don't know about that man?"

Also, Scraps, etc., she said there is now a Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow figure. Plus, I could not believe that while they still have the Spice Girls displayed, they have removed the Beatles!

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Jul 31 2006, 01:45 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

WHAT? spice girls, are you serious?? who's in charge of that place, anyway??

i'd love to see a wax figure of charlie, just to get an idea of his size in person, you know? i've said it before and i'll say it now - you're sister can't say anything about your 'obsession' if she enables it!

speaking of cap'n jack, johnny depp was on letterman the other night. did anyone see? man, he's slick. letterman asked him if his kids were impressed that jack sparrow was their father and he said no - they had pretty much grown up with it and it didn't faze them very much. kind of like charlie's tramp character!

and terra, i immediately thought of you when all this scandal about mel gibson came to light. what are your thoughts on it?

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Jul 31 2006, 01:55 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (terra cotta @ Jul 22 2006, 09:30 PM)
but...Prof. Bosco, can you come to New York in Sept.??? You can work on your singing between now and then laugh.gif ).

wow...a blond Chaplin...those photos were pretty bad.
they didn't even try to make that guy look like him. and it's a musical?
i think i'm staying away from this one...it looks kinda sappy.

(the guy looks alot like actor Tim Roth, doesn't he...)
terra cotta
Posted: Jul 31 2006, 07:25 PM

Advanced Member

[QUOTE=scraps,Jul 31 2006, 02:45 PM]WHAT?  spice girls, are you serious??  who's in charge of that place, anyway??

I think Scary Spice is in charge! But yes, they were, and apparently are still there.

"i'd love to see a wax figure of charlie, just to get an idea of his size in person, you know?  i've said it before and i'll say it now - you're sister can't say anything about your 'obsession' if she enables it!" 

I wonder if she has an ulterior motive?  Put me away, sell off the house, make some money (that actually sounds more like her husband!).  I am pretty sure I will be going to that schmaltzy sounding Charlie musical in NY in Sept., and am going to ask her if she wants to come (I bought a membership to the NY Theater Musical Festival, which is presenting it, in case there is anything else worth seeing), at the lowest level, which gets me 2 free tickets for the season. So, she wouldn't even have to pay the normal cheap-o $20.00 price. The tix are supposed to go on sale in mid-August, but 2 people told me today that I may be able to get them tomorrow. Anyway, I am hoping that she comes, it's a decent show, and that it makes her curious to learn more about him.  And I really hope they have someone Charlie-ish playing Charlie (that guy, Luther Creek does resemble Tim Roth, Prof. B. although TR is more attractive). There is an actor, Max Von Essen (his father was head of NY fire dept, at time of Sept. 11), who would be very good - cute, dark curly hair, good actor and singer. OK, he was and may still be in a relationship with "Doogie Houser, MD", but that's alright. He's involved in another show, though, I think.

"and terra, i immediately thought of you when all this scandal about mel gibson came to light.  what are your thoughts on it?"

First of all, he's been going to AA for years, after his wife told him to get help with his drinking or she'd leave (I've always gotten the impression that she is a tough cookie, and I'm sure she was far from happy with him with the latest incident). Then, he's drinking anyway, and mouthing off when stopped. As soon as he started carrying on, he should have realized, "It's bad enough already, idiot. Shut up before you make it any worse". But, of course he continued. I don't think he has to worry too much about the public, but within the Hollywood community, those anti-Semitic remarks are going to kill him, esp, after the contoversy over The Passion. He can apologize all he wants, but if it's true that he actually said these things (and I think he did), he can't use the excuse that he was drunk. That only makes it worse - I say one thing when sober, but another when drunk - which one is true? And an inappropriate comment to a female officer, etc. My sister said she is "embarrassed for him", and "shocked, appalled and disappointed in him". Obviously, he never has to work again, financially, but to lose the respect and friendship of a community is bad. Meanwhile, any of you have never seen Gallipoli, the movie in which my sister and I discovered Mel, try to watch it sometime. It's alittle slow to start, but you'll get caught up in it. Be sure to have tissues handy.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, what about Finding Neverland? That was a movie I knew I'd be bawling over before I even saw it.

The better Charlie: Luther Creek (yeech)
user posted image
(yeech again)
or Max von Essen
user posted image
(I spoke to him once, How exciting. rolleyes.gif ).

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 07:18 AM

Advanced Member

hell yes! that guy would make a MUCH better Chaplin!
geez, what's wrong with those casting people?? at least stick a wig on the blond guy!
Terra, are you saying that Neil Patrick Harris and that fellow are a couple? If so, more power to them, I just didn't realize Doogie Howser M.D. was gay! Where have I been?

just read about Mel Gibson's drunk driving and anti-Semetic remarks. I used to dig Mel Gibson as an actor, but the guy has really lost my respect. He comes off as a loon. what a shame.
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 09:04 AM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ProfessorBosco @ Aug 1 2006, 08:18 AM)

Terra, are you saying that Neil Patrick Harris and that fellow are a couple?  If so, more power to them, I just didn't realize Doogie Howser M.D. was gay!  Where have I been?

Yes, they were a couple at least, not sure if they still are. I don't think it's widely known about Neil Patrick Harris being gay. I didn't know until the two of them became a couple, at a time they were both doing shows in NY a few years ago. I have also seen Neil Patrick Harris on Broadway (in a play, not a musical), and he was very good. Anne Heiche (sp.?), Ellen DeGeneris's nutty ex lover starred in it ("Proof") and she was excellent as well.

That picture of the othe guy is from a "workshop" version of the Chaplin show, and I don't think they go for authenticity so much as talent, in trying to get financial backers, so I really do hope they have someone more appropriate this time around, But, I do fear it will be him, as he is making a name for himself in theater. Again - yeech!

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ProfessorBosco
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 09:21 AM

Advanced Member

yea, Harris has been tearing up Broadway, and he's been in a bunch of TVshows/movies. Good for him, he's done alot of diverse stuff after being Doogie Howser. He'll probably never shake that childstar role, but at least he's doing some great work. Wasn't he the MC in the Cabaret revival? I think I read that somewhere....

scraps
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 11:05 AM

Advanced Member

i love neil patrick harris. did anyone see the show he did a few years ago - 'stark raving mad?' it was with the guy....oh, whatshisname...he does that show "monk" now. anyway, it was so funny and i was really disappointed when it was taken off. i was just talking about the show he is in now, 'how i met your mother.' since i am stuck at work most nights now, i watch one of the only two channels we get on our little tv set and i have been watching it lately - it is funnier than i thought. don't worry, professor - i didn't know he was gay either. not that there's anything wrong with that! smile.gif

and i don't know how i feel about mel anymore. i certainly hope he gets the help he needs. i think it will take a very long time for him to get back into hollywood's good graces...if he does - but that incident will attach itself to him for the rest of his career, that's for sure. he will probably do a stint at betty ford, or wherever and a few months later will do an interview with barbara walters or diane sawyer, have an in-depth article in 'people' magazine - but he won't be able to shake that from him.

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 1 2006, 07:04 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (ProfessorBosco @ Aug 1 2006, 10:21 AM)
  Wasn't he the MC in the Cabaret revival?  I think I read that somewhere....

Yes, he was, Prof., very good, I will find a picture of him in the role. Also, ironically, Max Von Essen has also played him.

Neil Patrick Harris as "The Emcee" (definitely no longer "Doogie Howser!)

user posted image

Max von Essen (this was not on Broadway, which over the past few years had a "rethought" version of the show,with the revival. Therefore, this "Emcee" is more traditional than the N.P. Harris Emcee).

user posted image

I had wanted to see the revival of "Cabaret", and never got to it. Apparently, the staging of the end was pretty powerful and moving. And, it was held in an actual cabaret setting.

As for Mel - thinking maybe a cover story in "People". Or not. I'm still a fan, but I have no patience for that kind of behavior, And it turns out the arresting officer was Jewish.

Oh, Scraps, my dental hygenist told me today that one of her "friends through Ricky" (Martin, that is - I had mentioned a while back that she goes all over to see him. And she's no kid - her own kids are one in and one out of college already) met Johnny Depp 2 weeks ago, through her job. I was not able to get any more details, since I couldn't really talk, and she was mainly talking about Ricky Martin. We are sort of friends outside of the dentist, and we may be getting together for lunch before I go back to work. If we do, I'll ask if her friend gave her any info. other than having met him (Johnny, that is, not Ricky).

Also, I did order tickets (free) to the show Behind the Limelight today, and I called my sister, who does plan to go. Even if it's terrible, since this particular performance is a Saturday afternoon, and the church it will be performed in is basically in the theater district, as opposed to some area I'm not familiar with, not to mention, the price is right, I decided I had to see it. Supposedly, it's good, and has been backed by the Shuberts (theater owners). I don't think they'll have a real set or anything, but as I mentioned above, I'm hoping it will spark an interest in my sister as to Charlie, and I just hope to enjoy it myself (it's at the end of September).

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 03:55 PM

Advanced Member

i had nearly forgotten your interest in mr. martin! biggrin.gif meeting johnny depp...whoosh, that would be just too much. hope you get details!

i hope your sister (and you, of course!) enjoys 'behind the limelight.' you will have to give us a complete review, of course. it's hard to believe that september is now only a month away. how miserably hot is it up in jersey now? pretty bad down here in the bible belt... sad.gif

p.s. that was some picture of doogie! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Mitsouko
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 05:23 PM

Advanced Member

First of all, Mel Gibson's a wierdo, always has been, and only recent has anyone actually acknowledged that. I guess South Park hits the nail on the head with those Bible-thumpers in their own cults, whatever.

Secondly, I frankly don't keep up with many actors lately or stars because not many of them capture my respect. However...when I saw 'Doogie' up in the post, he instantly just seemed right for the part in Cabaret. I'd love to see that! Amongst the few, and I mean FEW, actors I respect and like today (That are alive, mind u) are: Michael Caine (my fave living actor), Russell Crowe (who cares if he's got a temper? I loved Gladiator and Master and Commander), Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Robert Downey, Jr...ok, I am losing steam here, there are several more that are good, I just lost count. There are a lot of good actors/actresses, scratch that; there AREN'T that many good ones, it's hard to find that quality. And Hollywood, still, churns out bad ones by the bucketfull. I never saw Pam Grier before Jackie Brown, but after that I love her! Tarantino brings out something in average actors that makes them above average. He makes a normal situation better than ever.

I love Eddie Izzard too, but thought his role in The Cat's Meow (Crappy flick anyway) was miscast. CC is hard as hell to cast and to play. First of all, no one looks like him; he's unusual (although Professor does a great job, best I've seen of anyone even remotely trying to do him, but he has succeeded!) and he's small; most men today (except Prince maybe?) are larger than him. He was what, five feet four or something? Most men today arent that small anymore. He'd have to be cast larger anyway.

So, enough of my rambling....too hot here, have to go pay my $212 eleco bill. Sigh...I hate the South......

--------------------
Mitsouko ohmy.gif
terra cotta
Posted: Aug 2 2006, 06:13 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (scraps @ Aug 2 2006, 04:55 PM)
i had nearly forgotten your interest in mr. martin!  biggrin.gif  meeting johnny depp...whoosh, that would be just too much.  hope you get details! 

i hope your sister (and you, of course!) enjoys 'behind the limelight.'  you will have to give us a complete review, of course.  it's hard to believe that september is now only a month away.  how miserably hot is it up in jersey now?  pretty bad down here in the bible belt... sad.gif

No, No, I am not a "Friend through Ricky"!. But, I do get to listen to all the dental hygenist's ravings. She is the webmaster for one of his websites as well, and she puts out a calendar (gee, I think she may be obssessed biggrin.gif ). I, personally, am not a fan, although based on what she tells me, he's a very nice person.

Yes, it's hard to believe that September is only a month away. I have to remember to look at it as "there is still a month of vacation left", as opposed to "vacation in over". Most people would kill to have the month off! Meanwhile, it has been 100 degrees+ up here, with the heat index 110 and over. Friday it is supposed to cool down to 88-92. I may need to put on a sweater!

I'm actually already excited about seeing "Behind the Limelight". It supposedly got very good feedback from last summer's "workshop" version, so I hope I can give a good review.

Oh, Mitsouko, I had also seen on your site that you like Michael Caine. I remember having a little crush on him after seeing California Suite (I think that was it - he's gay, and married to Maggie Smith, whose character is nominated for an Academy Award). The first time I saw him I was 6 years old, and he was in what I think was his first movie, Zulu, (a very good, but violent movie no 6 year old should see, but there was a reason behind it. My 4 year old sister and I sat there in the theater, unfazed.). It's another movie people should see, if you haven't. My sister and I never forgot it, and not because of the violence. It has a very memorable ending. Maurice Micklewhite - that's his real name, isn't it?

Eddie Izzard, I've seen him in a couple of things. As for The Cat's Meow, he was was too chunky for Charlie, and could not dance, but acting-wise, I thought he was good. I think he either recently was or soon will be doing shows in NY. I know I saw something not long ago about him "bringing his cross-dressing" act to the area.

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (7) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1191 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker