website stats

Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

Just something I saw while watching ”The Kid”
ILoveChris
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 08:32 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 439

When Jackie Coogan is laying in bed his is reading Police Gazette! Who would let a kid read those kinds of magazines? Compared to what was considered to be obscene in those days and what is considered to be obscene today it would be like letting your 5 year old kid surfing on web pages like Ogrish and Stileproject.

You guys seem to know A LOT more about Charlie than I do... So might anyone of you know if Charlie was interested in "dark stuff" like crime history and gore?
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 09:08 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Yes, he was, and in fact according to his son Charlie Jr., kept copies of the Police Gazette at his bedside table. As for The Kid, he was supposed to be 5 years old, and probably too young to read, so may have just been looking at the pictures. Dead people and all!

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ILoveChris
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 03:50 PM

Hehe... interesting man! biggrin.gif Hope Christopher share his fathers interests! At least he look like he does wink.gif

I found Charlie Junior's book on amazon.com. Is it any good?

BTW - Police Gazette still exists but as a webpage. http://www.policegazette.us/
Visit The Morgue rolleyes.gif
annie
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 01:42 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 297

My Father Charlie Chaplin is a great book!
It gives you first hand accounts of Chaplin as a father. You can get to know him how he was privately, outside of the spotlight. Charles, Jr. also gives some good characterizations of his father's personality. There are also some very good anecdotes in that book. I always wondered what Chaplin thought of the book.
I can only recommend it. There is nothing in there about Christopher, though, since he wasn't born yet when the book was published.
Charles, Jr., unfortunately passed away in 1968.

--------------------
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" Charles Chaplin
ILoveChris
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 03:16 AM

Okey thanks for the answer! I just ordered the book... it is soooo exciting ohmy.gif
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 12:26 PM

love charlie chaplin he is a glowing star!!

Member No.: 44

yes , i just watch the kid .. last week i notice that the kid was reading the Police Gazette .. and thought that was odd.. but then again in them days .. there was no TV nore RADio.. so what can you do in your room ???? and yes i agree it is not for children but i think charlie .. is somone that is a morbid person .. iam the same way at times ... it is strange .. even lita grey said when after they had sex they would lay in bed togeather and she said that charlie we talk of movie idea that she didnt thin wear funny .. untill she " see is being done" and music.. and she said that charlie love talk about crimes like leople and that other guy that killed that poor kid in chicago .... other gross crimes too .. very interating . an dthis is from her book that is the right one the seconed book that lita wrote ..

peace gabigirl
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 12:34 PM

love charlie chaplin he is a glowing star!!

Member No.: 44

i love chris ..
here is a real history about the Police Gazette .. and i think charlie loved it what it says here becuse it also had picture of naked ladys .???
who knows ...

peace gabigirl smile.gifsmile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Gazette
scraps
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 12:42 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

when i first noticed jackie reading the police gazette, i thought it was kind of a joke of sorts...it reminded me of that shot of the tramp reading the gazette in....what was it - work? or his new job? i can't remember which one it was now. i watched work over the thanksgiving holiday, but i don't remember seeing that shot of the tramp reading, where he looks right at the camera. i thought it showed how the kid was picking up the habits of his "father."

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 05:48 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (annie @ Nov 28 2007, 01:42 AM)
My Father Charlie Chaplin is a great book!
It gives you first hand accounts of Chaplin as a father. You can get to know him how he was privately, outside of the spotlight. Charles, Jr. also gives some good characterizations of his father's personality. There are also some very good anecdotes in that book. I always wondered what Chaplin thought of the book.

I agree with Scraps. You'll like it. I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie Sr. never read it, though.

Scraps, the Tramp is reading the Police Gazette at the beginnng of one of the Keystones. I can't think of the title offhand. He looks up and has that kind of embarrassed smile he used at times. I may be wrong, but I think he turns it sideways and you get the impression that he is looking at a centerfold (?).

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ILoveChris
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 10:50 PM

I could never imagine that Charlie was a morbid person. You just don't expect those kind of things from a comedian!

I've been collecting crime related stuff for three years and I have some copies of the Gazette... that is how I know about the magazine. They have pictures of unidentified murder victims in there. I wouldn't let my 5 year old (if I had one) see that.... well, at least not until he is 8 laugh.gif
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0225 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker