website stats

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

My Visit to the Chaplin Studios
westfield60
Posted: Nov 25 2007, 05:59 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 171

I volunteer for an Animal Rescue group and two weeks ago we had a fundraiser that was being hosted at the Chaplin Studios (now the Jim Henson Studios).

While some of the studio has changed, a lot of it still is exactly as it was back then. To walk those grounds and to have known that Chaplin actually walked these steps was an experience that I don't think I could ever describe. There was something really magical in recognizing some of the structures like his office and the chimney from his fireplace, the studio vault which stored his exposed reels, the screening room and of course the famous gates. All of this was absolutely mind-blowing. While La Brea and Los Angeles has changed dramatically it was really special to see this small goldmine preserved and thankfully preserved well.

I hope all of you someday get to visit this studio.
annie
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 11:25 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 297

Thank you for posting your experience at the studio.
Did you see the footsteps? Some of them should still be there, I guess, although I know that one of the later owners (I forgot who) took a few of them home.

Do you know if the studio is open to visitors or do you need an invitaion to such an event as you had?

--------------------
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" Charles Chaplin
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 12:02 PM

love charlie chaplin he is a glowing star!!

Member No.: 44

Lucky Annie!!!

iam soooo jeaulys!!!

i used to live in Hollywood ..and only 5 mins away from chaplin studios ..use passit all the time ...and wanted to visist inside!!! ( only outside at his studio ) they say they cant give tours ..becus ethey never get there work done ( whatever) ..

but always wanted to know what you have felt ..the sameway ..i posted few pictures of me at chaplin studio...yes it does give you chillsand for me a bit of sadness i dont know why ?? i walk around and looking at "his" door ... it a mix of happy and sadness ...but i wish i could been there with you ...3 good reasons see chaplin stuidos ,love anaimals..i alway get mine at the pound..and meet a fellow chaplin fancys...

cheers to you hank youfor shareing ..
anyone who lives in Europe.. if you are a HUGE chaplin fan .. please take the time to see his studio you will never for get that feeling once you ar ether it like he there with you ..and his house on the hill..even you cant get in ..you feelthat chaplin present feeling..
peace gabigirl
scraps
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 12:59 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2

wow, westfield, i'm so glad you got to experience that! i would love to see his old studio - i am so thankful henson did not tear it all down. to walk on the same grounds as charlie once did...wow. talk about sacred ground. i'm sure you'll never forget it, and thanks for sharing it with us. smile.gif

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 04:20 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

All that I do for animals -- and have I ever had such an experience??? Of course not (then again, I live on the other side of the country).

Thanks for posting about it, Westfield60. It's nice that first A&M Records and now the Henson Studios have made sure to preserve the studios, and acknowledge the Chaplin connection.

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
ziegfeldgirl
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 04:35 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 278

I'm very jealous! I would literally give anything to visit. Maybe the next time I am near there..

--------------------
user posted image
westfield60
Posted: Nov 26 2007, 11:00 PM

Annie,
The footprints are there but they have been moved from their original location and to my disappointment they have placed an extra slab in between the two prints so the left and right prints are unsually separated. Secondly the prints are so worn down now that you really have to look hard to see them. Finally the signature slab which was part of the original piece was purchased by Red Skelton and is in his private collection.

Scraps,
Luckily Jim Henson or A&M Records (which owned it previously) could not tear down the studios even if they had wanted to. Los Angeles had declared it a National Historical Landmark a few decades ago, so luckily it is protected.

Gabigirl,
I do agree with you that I did find myself feeling a little bit of sadness. I think that came from the realization that I was standing on the same "sacred" ground where this amazingly gifted and talented genius once stood in flesh and blood. The fact that you were standing where this mere man created this amazing legacy is a bit overwhelming knowing that you belong to a different generation and could not be part of the generation or times in which he lived.
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 11:05 AM

Scraps,
Luckily Jim Henson or A&M Records (which owned it previously) could not tear down the studios even if they had wanted to. Los Angeles had declared it a National Historical Landmark a few decades ago, so luckily it is protected.
...............................................................................................................
whoooooo thank God for that!!!!

it should be protected!! ......

you never know with hollywired sometimes what they do to classic old landmark chaplin made hollywood ..
...................................................................................................................
bit overwhelming knowing that you belong to a different generation and could not be part of the generation or times in which he lived

westfield60 i agree with you ... its like the smells and the nalslgit feel that you get from there .. i know it sound silly .. but i think it does has soo much strong vibes ... it like he was just there .. or at any minut he will arive with Kono...

peacegabigirl
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 12:39 PM

here is a pictuer of me at the chaplin studio.. .. when i had this picture taken of me .. few months later i bought a book of charlie chaplin and this was a picture taken from the book of charlie standing at the same steps doorway and arm strch out hand on the wooden collom like me ... i swear never seen this picture before of charlie doing this .. its just wired and funy that i did the almost same pose like him at the same door way on steps and same wooden collem like charlie ....
peace gabigirl

user posted image

user posted image
westfield60
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 08:40 PM

Wow how neat is that picture. Same spot almost 90 years apart.
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0250 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker