website stats

zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Comedy Classics Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Status 9/18/2009 - Our new home is ready enough for you to start posting, adding pics, writing blogs, adding videos, etc.

Click here! Have fun! :)

sweet fanny adams theater, it won me over
scraps
  Posted: Nov 17 2007, 03:12 PM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2

hey gang....as some of you know, i live in east tennessee. my parents got a time share condo up in the mountains in gatlinburg, part of the great smoky mountain national park. it is a truly beautiful place, and if anyone of you ever get the opportunity to visit there sometime, you will more than likely agree. i've been to gatlinburg and pigeon forge (home of dollywood - woohoo rolleyes.gif ) dozens of times since i was a kid, but it has been several years since my last visit. i went to spend the night with my parents and see my sister who came up from georgia to visit, also. they told me when i arrived we were going to attend a "comedy show" after dinner that night at this place called sweet fanny adams theater. they didn't know much else about it, except it was supposed to be a really good, funny show. both my sister and i thought it sounded kind of lame and my first question was if there was a bar there or not. tongue.gif gatlinburg is a great place, but it can be very hokey and cheesey. some of the places really ummph-up the hillbilly side of tennesse for the tourists, and i thought it was going to be some kind of country bear jamboree, or something.
but i ended up really enjoying the show. it was truly like a vaudeville show from the late 1800's! the theater was pretty small, but very charming and old fashioned, and all seats were quite close to the stage. the complete cast consisted of just six people, but they were incredibly funny and talented. it had a wonderful chaplinesque quality about it. they actually performed more than one pantomime comedy sketch, and it was just a thrill to me to watch it, live on stage. they even had that awful sign above the bathroom we all know about here - the one of the tramp holding the "toilet" sign. the costumes were all chaplin-y. but it also had a very subtle monty python feel to it, as well. they even sang one of the python songs, always look on the bright side of life (worse things happen at sea, you know! laugh.gif ) they really put a lot of work into the two hour (intermission included) show, and i was very glad i went, in the end.
i included the website - if anyone ever finds themself in g'burg, you should definitely check it out!
smile.gif

http://www.sweetfannyadams.com/index1.html

--------------------
"the heart and the mind - what an enigma." charlie chaplin's calvero, Limelight
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 05:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

Well, that's certainly an interesting name for a theater. Was there a Sweet Fanny Adams"?

When I was looking at the site, 3 guys came dancing out from the left in their undies. Did you see them in person?

--------------------
I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human
society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Nov 17 2007, 06:42 PM

Advanced Member

there was no one specific named fanny adams - i suppose that is just the name of the theater and that's it.

and those three dancing guys crack me up! yes, those are the exact ones who performed the same skit during the show - it was maybe my favorite one. it was completely silent but for the music, and was a true blend of chaplin and python. chython? anyway, it was hilarious.

--------------------
gabigirl777
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 10:57 AM

love charlie chaplin he is a glowing star!!

Member No.: 44

iam so jeuolys ,,.. scraps that is so wounderful .. what a jem to have in your area!!
i miss my silent movie theater when living in hollywood ... i was an alley away from it .. so very close i was spolid watching silent and mostly chaplin movies how they were ment to be seen .. on the big little screen... somtimes they have live comdey and music number that are before the show .. it pretty classic.. i love old times ..
peace hugs
cheers
gabigirl:)smile.gif
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 03:48 PM

Advanced Member

QUOTE (scraps @ Nov 17 2007, 06:42 PM)

and those three dancing guys crack me up!  yes, those are the exact ones who performed the same skit during the show - it was maybe my favorite one.  it was completely silent but for the music, and was a true blend of chaplin and python.  chython? anyway, it was hilarious.

"Chython" - not bad! Better than "Pythlin", probably. Yes, they did have a Monty Python feel, as they came onto the screen. Scraps, you must try to find a touring production of Spamalot in your area. With any luck, they will find the Holy Grail under your seat!

--------------------
betrayal. And I was angry. "God", I said,This is terrible! Why don't you do something? God was silent for a moment, then He spoke softly. I have done something, He replied. " I created you".
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
scraps
Posted: Nov 18 2007, 11:48 PM

Advanced Member

oh, gawd, i should be so lucky! a friend of mine saw spamalot in new york, shortly after it first opened, the lucky bunny. she sent me a pin that said, "i'm not dead yet!" tongue.gif

--------------------
terra cotta
Posted: Nov 19 2007, 04:49 PM

Advanced Member

Scraps, the show's website may be the next best thing to actually seeing the show (well, to be honest, it's very little like seeing the show, actually, but you'll get a taste of it! tongue.gif ). It has song and video clips, pictures, games (fighting the killer rabbit and tossing the cows), and US tour info., among other things.

Here is the link: http://montypythonsspamalot.com/index.php

--------------------
"The Animals' Savior"
Jim Willis, 1999.
« Next Oldest | Charlie Chaplin | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0409 seconds · Archive
eXTReMe Tracker