Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Zettai Shojou. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

What systems to work on?, PC, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast, etc.?
Kiddo Cabbusses
Posted: Jan 17 2007, 03:04 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 154

I just wanted to ask out of curiousness - when the game is finished, what PC Operating systems (Or anything BEYOND PC operating systems) will this work on?

I was just curious because I'd rather not play the game on my slow-as-heck Windows - although then again, most other options I have are game consoles, durr.

1) Windows is probably he most likely to be devloped for.
2) Linux is probably 2nd most likely, assuming we got something open-source and easily portable.
3) Then Mac, just to complete the OS-circle.
4) Now, here's where things will probably start to be rejected. How about Video-game system homebrew? It'd be nice to be able to play this on, say, my Dreamcast (I recall two other H-games being ported to Dreamcast before. I have them for reference if need be. There's also a lot of non-H Love-sims on the Dreamcast.), the GBA (To add to my XXXX ROMs collection, lawl.), or whatever of the newer-gen systems get exploits to make the game work on them (Actually, the PS3 already runs Linux, so that'd probably be easy - and if there's a version of the game in Flash, the Wii would probably run that just fine.)
Petaru
Posted: Jan 17 2007, 03:30 AM

~nya!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well, PC first, obviously, since its what most of the game engines are made for. As for the others, that depends on whether the engine we use has a version for the others or if anyone knows how to modify it to run on them.

I dunno about making versions that could run on game systems, thats way out of my area of expertise.
Nostalgic
Posted: Jan 17 2007, 06:57 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

4) Now, here's where things will probably start to be rejected. How about Video-game system homebrew? It'd be nice to be able to play this on, say, my Dreamcast (I recall two other H-games being ported to Dreamcast before. I have them for reference if need be. There's also a lot of non-H Love-sims on the Dreamcast.), the GBA (To add to my XXXX ROMs collection, lawl.), or whatever of the newer-gen systems get exploits to make the game work on them (Actually, the PS3 already runs Linux, so that'd probably be easy - and if there's a version of the game in Flash, the Wii would probably run that just fine.)

Thats sounds like it'd be more trouble then it's worth.
Luminous_Path
Posted: Jan 17 2007, 08:51 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 108

QUOTE (Nostalgic @ Jan 17 2007, 06:57 AM)

we just have to recompile the native source for renpy onto whichever respective platform we wish to port to, send over the resource files, do some cutting and pasting, and we have a homebrew development port... although I think I oversimplified it, but if the want is strong enough, it can be done!

um, although to make it work on any consoles that aren't modded is a completely different venture... seeing as how we'd have to have access to sony/sega/nintendo's respective media stamps... that means

1. getting registered
2. getting a dev kit
3- I think you get the idea...

um... building it in flash would be a different story, I'm not to experienced with it, but doesn't it use its own actionscript? it wouldn't be as much a "port" as a "complete tear down and rebuild" if we did that

btw, if you wanted to have it on the ps3, you'd have to go buy one of these if you didn't want it on either fedora core or yellow dog...

user posted image
Kiddo Cabbusses
Posted: Jan 17 2007, 09:51 PM

Member No.: 154

QUOTE (Luminous_Path @ Jan 17 2007, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (Nostalgic @ Jan 17 2007, 06:57 AM)

we just have to recompile the native source for renpy onto whichever respective platform we wish to port to, send over the resource files, do some cutting and pasting, and we have a homebrew development port... although I think I oversimplified it, but if the want is strong enough, it can be done!

um, although to make it work on any consoles that aren't modded is a completely different venture... seeing as how we'd have to have access to sony/sega/nintendo's respective media stamps... that means

1. getting registered
2. getting a dev kit

um... building it in flash would be a different story, I'm not to experienced with it, but doesn't it use its own actionscript? it wouldn't be as much a "port" as a "complete tear down and rebuild" if we did that

btw, if you wanted to have it on the ps3, you'd have to go buy one of these if you didn't want it on either fedora core or yellow dog...

user posted image

Dreamcast homebrew is a bit more unique there - the majority of US and EU model Dreamcasts can run homebrew software, from a CD-R, without any hardware mods. You can dig around the scene for more info, I think - www.dcnews.co.uk and www.dcemulation.com should be good resources. Stuff like Beats of Rage, the Beat-em-up clone, emulators for the NeoGeo and the like, and ports of PC games are generally the most impressive stuff they have so far.

I have a softmodded Xbox, and GBA emulation should tell how well the game'd run on an actual GBA - On the PS3 possibility, I say work with whatever PS3-specific versions of Linux are available. You probably won't need to tax the Cell Processor for anything.

I'll gladly play-test whatever ports happen to come around - especially a Dreamcast or Xbox one.
Nostalgic
Posted: Jan 18 2007, 07:35 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 104

1. getting registered
2. getting a dev kit

Thats what I had in mind when I wrote that, but the rest of what you said dosn't sound too bad after all.
« Next Oldest | Technical Stuff | Next Newest »
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free

Topic Options

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1103 seconds | Archive