W.I.T.C.H.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to W.I.T.C.H.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

iPad iBooks from W.I.T.C.H.
Nessio
Posted: 22 December 2011 20:41

Comic Reader

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,669

I'm new to this forum (although I've been a huuuge W.I.T.C.H. fan since no. 1 came out in Holland) but I was wondering... Has anybody thought of making iBooks out of the witch comics? O:
MoonCloud217
Posted: 22 December 2011 21:00

Comic Scanner

Group: Mod
Member No.: 3

No thanks.

--------------------
tumblrheart ittwitterblogwitch rpg youtubefacebookKHDownloads
user posted image
galistar07water
Posted: 22 December 2011 21:27

come a long way

Member No.: 196

I don't really see any difference between reading the comics on my laptop or on an eBook...I'm still reading from a screen.

--------------------
user posted image
W.I.T.C.H. K.O.K.E. is brought to you by Kandrakar and the Gemini Council. Drink some magic!
Signature credited to skeiter-girl on DA for the beautiful artworks and permission
My DeviantArt Page W.I.T.C.H. Dreams of Lusteria
RedRoses
Posted: 31 December 2011 17:01

Comic Fan

Member No.: 1,325

Well, I'm currently on my iPod, and I'm telling you, it's terrible slow. Yes, I can read comics, And I'm even reading fanfics via my iPod, but I like the bigger screen size of my laptop.

--------------------
Five hearts as one
Guardians Unite!
kathy025
Posted: 31 December 2011 17:25

Comic Fan

Member No.: 267

QUOTE (Nessio @ 23 December 2011 03:41)
I'm new to this forum (although I've been a huuuge W.I.T.C.H. fan since no. 1 came out in Holland) but I was wondering... Has anybody thought of making iBooks out of the witch comics? O:

That's actually not a bad idea, but it will take a lot of work. Scanners now can easily output scans to PDF format though. Guess that's more possible than making an ePUB, but still a lot of work and time.
Nessio
Posted: 8 January 2012 20:24

Comic Reader

Yeah... I guess it'll be a lot of work... But I thought of it because my mum bought an iPad, so if there are people with one they could read it in the train/bus or something... But I guess It'll be indeed a looot of work and I would have to ask permission from the scanning/translating people to use the files etc. ;D
MoonCloud217
Posted: 9 January 2012 11:24

Comic Scanner

Get a smartphone wink.gif it loads perfectly for me. But then again it all depends on your internet Service provider, too, wether or not the online scans will load quickly.

--------------------
user posted image
RedRoses
Posted: 9 January 2012 16:34

Comic Fan

I allready have a fine working phone, and I'm saving for my drivers license. I also use wifi, so that may be the thing, because it's not working that good in different rooms. But I'd rather read them on my laptop, because the size of the screen. wink.gif

--------------------
Five hearts as one
Guardians Unite!
Nessio
Posted: 12 January 2012 18:49

Comic Reader

@MoonCloud I've got an iPhone and I've tried to read comics several times but I don't like it because the screen is too small... So I prefer to read them on my laptop, but when my mum bought her iPad I thought of it because then you would be able to skip pages instead of scrolling through it.

I'm not a real iPad fan myself, but it could me convienent and maybe fun for people who have an iPad wink.gif + I'm really a books/comics lover so I enjoy to sit on the couch with something of the size of a book/mazagine in my hands... And since W.I.T.C.H. stopped in Holland several years ago.....
MoonCloud217
Posted: 12 January 2012 23:37

Comic Scanner

Well get a better iPhone then laugh.gif I dunno,
I dont have an iPad, maybe if it will become more common than laptops we can adapt to it.
But for now it's too early, I think.

--------------------
user posted image
RedRoses
Posted: 13 January 2012 15:45

Comic Fan

My dad wants an iPad, but he is planning to use it for work. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Five hearts as one
Guardians Unite!
LoopyLor
Posted: 18 January 2012 16:49

come a long way

Member No.: 8

I like the ipad, but I can't see myself reading witch on it. I prefer a bigger screen to view comics, either that, or have a paper comic in my hands.
kathy025
Posted: 2 June 2012 14:28

Comic Fan

QUOTE (Nessio @ 9 January 2012 03:24)
Yeah... I guess it'll be a lot of work... But I thought of it because my mum bought an iPad, so if there are people with one they could read it in the train/bus or something... But I guess It'll be indeed a looot of work and I would have to ask permission from the scanning/translating people to use the files etc. ;D

There was a member earlier who was offering to make a reader application. I think it's fine to use the files for personal reasons, as long as we don't redistribute them and jeopardize the website due to copyright infringement.

Having eBook issues is actually not a bad idea now (preferably in PDF for universal support) since readers and tablet PCs are becoming more of a household item due to much affordable prices.

Below is a manga (Japanese comics) I downloaded as JPEG images (like the W.i.t.c.h. scans here) which I converted to a single PDF file to create a digital eBook volume:

user posted image
user posted image

The 9.7-inch screen of the iPad actually makes a very fine eBook reader. It is big enough for casual reading compared to the smaller 7-inch tablets. You can easily pinch-in/out for zoom and you flick the page as you would an actual comic book. You can have tons of issues with you and read in the dark for those long boring flights or car rides. If and all, being an eBook reader is actually one of the iPad's good functions.

Since I'm taking up W.i.t.c.h. again, I actually plan on converting issues 75 onwards to PDF issues which I can read in my own convenience. Should take me two days to convert everything if I'm not lazy. tongue.gif
Shiwin
Posted: 2 June 2012 15:07

Comic Reader

Member No.: 1,987

I read my comics on my brother's iPad, it's not much different than reading it on paper. All you need to do is to download a comic book application to your iPad (I use ComicFlow, because it's free and fast) and import your comic book scans to that application (using iTunes). Though your scans have to be .cbr files, you can find them on torrent sites like isoHunt.

I have all of the scans up until the 9th saga, I can send them to you if you want smile.gif and I'm sorry I'm terrible at explaining things unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Shiwin on 2 June 2012 15:10
AizMayune
Posted: 2 June 2012 15:44

Comic Reader

Member No.: 2,008

Lucky people having iPads.

Since I only have an iPod touch, I doubt I'll do the same since, well, if I can/want to, I have to freaking zoom in the picture and read it! laugh.gif
And I'm pretty much glued in to my computer because I can reach more than my iPod would do. But if I want issues in my iPod touch, I guess I'll give them a ride.

This post has been edited by AizMayune on 2 June 2012 15:45
kathy025
Posted: 2 June 2012 16:54

Comic Fan

@Shiwi:
Thanks though I'm quite looking forward to creating the PDFs myself. smile.gif

@AizMayune:
I won my iPad2 at my company's Christmas raffle last year. It was the major prize. laugh.gif

Since the iPad3 release, iPad2 has dropped its market price. Nice time to buy it these days. You should be able to get a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad2 for around PHP 16,000.00 (approx. USD 370.00). And there's always Kindle and the cheaper Android tablets for your picking.

And yes, as much as I adore my Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S, smartphones are NOT advisable e-readers. For quick browsing maybe, but for your actual reader? Nope.

This post has been edited by kathy025 on 2 June 2012 16:56
AizMayune
Posted: 3 June 2012 02:25

Comic Reader

Holy cow! You must be really lucky to get it as your prize. wink.gif
Well, for me to ask for an iPad, I need to have a cellphone first because it could be pretty important when I enter college this year.
kathy025
Posted: 3 June 2012 03:58

Comic Fan

Haha yeah, my officemates were like "Unfair! You don't even like Apple!!" laugh.gif

But now, I do and I adore my iPad2. Became a useful tool for work and now for school again.
AizMayune
Posted: 3 June 2012 04:20

Comic Reader

Haha... Must be pretty ironic for it to happen. xd_smiley.gif
Then again, you deserve that prize. biggrin.gif
kathy025
Posted: 3 June 2012 07:27

Comic Fan

Converted Issue 75 in a matter of seconds! Here's how it looks on the iPad:

user posted image

Pretty sweet. biggrin.gif

Check out a sample preview below (first 6 pages only) of the PDF issue:

https://www.box.com/s/ba7142e6d39d95585c6a

Now you can enjoy the issues anywhere and offline with your laptop or any portable reader. Saves bandwidth for MoonClood too. The whole PDF is only 17MB.

I could easily upload the PDFs I've made for everyone, but since redistributing in any form is prohibited, I might write a tutorial on how to convert the scans to PDF issues so you can make them yourselves and enjoy for personal use. cool.gif
AizMayune
Posted: 3 June 2012 07:39

Comic Reader

Cool. I can see the dialogues from that distance. I wish I could DL the issues, but HDD space is an important factor for me.
kathy025
Posted: 3 June 2012 08:28

Comic Fan

The PDFs are actually very small at 17-20MB per issue. Heck, you can grab a cheapo 4GB flashdrive at CD-R King for a few hundred pesos. tongue.gif

Converting the first half of the New Power Saga... I'm quite excited to read them again... wills.gif
AizMayune
Posted: 3 June 2012 11:43

Comic Reader

Haha, well, I only have 2GB and I already filled it with my NDS games since it's eating my HDD xd_smiley.gif
Magix
Posted: 3 June 2012 12:05

Comic Fan

Member No.: 502

After reading this thread, I decided to use my Grandma's iPad to see what it looks like when you read a W.I.T.C.H. comic on it.
I think it's fine to read it by going onto the website and waiting for it to load, and scrolling down isn't a problem either, so I don't think there would be any need to make them into iBooks when it still works to read them online smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
kathy025
Posted: 3 June 2012 13:59

Comic Fan

@AizMayune:
Come here little one, I'll buy you a flashdrive. biggrin.gif

@Magix:
The PDF comics look superb on the iPad screen (and laptop/PC screens). Main point of eBooks is actually having access OFFLINE. Since some people are always on the move, do not have a fast connection, and also serves as a gesture to save bandwidth for others. Take note viewing online eats bandwidth and Photobucket has further decreased their limit. Most visitors of this website are mainly kids/students so I doubt donations are that strong.

If you have a portable e-reader within your reach and you know how to use it, it's by leaps a better reading experience and not very different than having the actual comic itself, compared to reading online, waiting for every image to load, and scrolling all the time. tongue.gif

But I would go against taking the iPad away from your grandma. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by kathy025 on 3 June 2012 14:22
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register for Free

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2 

counter offline
Pageviews since 4-4-2010 | More stats

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1336 seconds | Archive