W.I.T.C.H.

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.

Learn More · Register Now
Welcome to W.I.T.C.H.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6]  ( Go to first unread post )

PROTECT IP, SOPA Breaks The Internet
SpellBinder
Posted: 23 February 2012 10:34

Comic Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 524

Though it might be just a drop in the bucket, in checking an e-mail account I found I got a reply back from my senator saying he has not signed in support of PIPA or SOPA. It was also noted that he's interested in finding the best balance between protection of intellectual property and a free & open internet.

Makes me glad I voted for this guy. He's willing to listen to what the people want.

--------------------
user posted image
My Deviant Art page (now with W.I.T.C.H. related art!) : FanFiction
LittleRaven
Posted: 4 March 2012 07:25

Comic Fan

Member No.: 483

Google and privacy and alternatives: Giant post o'doom

Unfortunately I read this today and not before March 1, and my computer is in its death throes (I need to back it up because the back up passport I was using doesn't seem to be functioning properly, or at least won't back anything up, but the laptop shuts down before I can back anything up on Norton online storage) so I can't do anything about what's on it. But it's got important information I couldn't understand trying to go through the policy, so.

Google is being very creepy. I'd hate to stop using Gmail and YouTube at least, but I'll have to be careful with it. Why'd they have to acquire YouTube.

Basically: Google is now uniting accounts, that is linking them all together, to your name, not only for Google Accounts but for cookies it finds in your computer. It can also track your location and what you did there. And apparently scans your email? The post lists ways to help minimize the damage, in addition to just not using Google services, and has links to alternative search engines, email services, and things to hide you/block tracking.
RedRoses
Posted: 4 March 2012 10:32

Comic Fan

Member No.: 1,325

So, they can like, track you and go through your emails? It's getting really creepy. wacko.gif

--------------------
Five hearts as one
Guardians Unite!
MAX9075
Posted: 4 March 2012 13:18

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (LittleRaven @ 4 March 2012 07:25)
Basically: Google is now uniting accounts, that is linking them all together, to your name, not only for Google Accounts but for cookies it finds in your computer. It can also track your location and what you did there. And apparently scans your email?

I don't really see what's new? I've used my google account on youtube, imgur and various other sites. Great features.
They track your location? Well, ofcourse they do, because everybody likes to have the right timezones and language on their screen. And when you look for a pizza delevery on google, you want one that is near you, not in China.
And they scan your email? They've been doing that from the start. Every mail service does that. It's called a spam filter. Because you don't want all that junk in you inbox.

Do remember: Google is one of the few sites that uses https (the secure protocol) by default, which makes it virtually impossible for others to see what you're doing on Google. On Facebook you have to enable https manually, and most other sites don't even care.
SpellBinder
Posted: 4 March 2012 21:08

Comic Fan

Member No.: 524

It's been possible to track location and such online for years. I've forgotten it now, but there's been code in HTML that would get all sorts of information (like your IP address, the browser brand and version you're using, operating system, etc.) for many, many years. Wasn't too difficult then to get that info recorded for someone else to see as well.

Now it's what Google (or anyone else) does with that information that's the big ticket. Now Google could be completely legit and respectful about what they gather and how they use it. Sadly it's others before them who've not been so respectful in the past that's made people so paranoid about information gathering now.

--------------------
user posted image
My Deviant Art page (now with W.I.T.C.H. related art!) : FanFiction
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (6) « First ... 4 5 [6] 

counter offline
Pageviews since 4-4-2010 | More stats

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0611 seconds | Archive