Unofficial Transcendence Forum

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Sign-up Now
Welcome to Unofficial Transcendence Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Timeline
george moromisato
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 12:53 PM

Centurion-class
Group Icon

Group: Developer
Member No.: 2

You guys rule! I'm psyched that you are taking the initiative on the Captain's Primer, etc.

I do have a skeletal background for Transcendence (much of which you seem to have reverse-engineered already). I'll post more explicit back-stories here to help you guys write the Captain's Primer and whatever other stuff you're interested in.

First is the timeline:

The current year is 2419, though I am open to having the Commonwealth using a different starting year. The basic history looks like this:

21st Century: The Age of Light and Power

The problems of the 20th century (war, poverty, disease, environmental degradation) are more or less controlled in the 21st century. Technology advances in many dimensions, but particularly in space exploration and exploitation. The first asteroid mining company was founded in 2057. By 2081 there are more than 1,000 people working in space. In 2083, the Earth Industries Conglomerate announce the birth of the first human in space (in one of EI's mining stations).

In 2098, the first mission to the Kuiper Anomaly (out in the Kuiper belt beyond Pluto) reveals it to be an ancient, alien stargate.

22nd Century: The Age of Division

With more and more people being born and dying in space, there is more and more demand for genetic modifications to adapt humans to the environment. At the start of the Gene Crisis, Earth governments enforce a ban on germ-line genetic engineering with armed ships. NEO colonist resist the ban and retaliate with economic boycotts and sabotage of Earth installations. A few years later, the two sides reach an agreement: The colonies will enforce a ban on genetic modification but will otherwise be independent of Earth govermnents. This was the start of the Commonwealth.

But not all colonists are happy. Some of those committed to germ-line engineering start their own colony on Mars. Others travel further still, through the network of alien stargates.

In 2124, a Commonwealth ship reaches St. Katharine's Star System (through the stargate network) and discovers a habitable (but uninhabited) world--the first ever visited by humans. In 2176, the Commonwealth founds Starton Eridani colony.

The Order of the Sisters of Domina is founded early in the century. Ever since humans have moved out into space, there have been people who believe that they are in contact with hyper-intelligences out in space. Domina is one of the most powerful entities that people "communicate" with. There is much controversy over the nature of these alien intelligences, but there is no doubt that they exist.

23rd Century: The Age of Apocalypse

The Commonwealth grows and prospers throughout the 23rd century. Meanwhile, the Martian colonists who fled the genetic engineering ban have formed the Syrtis Conclave--an almost utopian civilization with genetically engineered neo-humans living in on the Martian surface. In 2243, however, guided by what they believe to be a divine intelligence in the Galactic Core, the Syrtis Conclave decides to annihilate Earth.

The war leaves the Solar System in ruins and it is only with the help of the Commonwealth that the Syrtis are defeated. Most of the martians are left as refugees (Mars is left uninhabitable) and today Syrtis refugees are found in many systems. The Syrtis leadership, however, escaped into deep space and they have formed the Ares Orthodoxy out beyond Jiang's Star. The old Commonwealth Fleet fights them still, but few people in St. Katharine's System (far from the fighting) believe that they are a threat.

24th Century: The Age of Emergence

Centuries after the discovery of the Kuiper Stargate, the first alien of the Ancient Races visits Human Space. The Iocrym, in their gigantic ships visit St. Katharine's Star System and begin a long and complicated dialog.

After much effort, humans learn that:

1. The Iocrym had visited the Solar System more than 250 million years ago and when they detected complex, multi-cellular life on Earth, they shut down all the stargates in the region and designated the whole area as a "nature preserve"

2. The Ancient Races want to welcome Humanity as a new member of the Galactic Community and future visits will begin that integration process.

3. There is some confusion about exactly how the stargates in Human Space where activated (they were supposed to be shut down). But now that contact has been made, there is no harm.

The Iocrym leave St. Katharine's System and promise to return.

A few decades later, Humans find that the entire volume of Human Space has been quarantined and that the Iocrym are guarding all stargates leading out into the rest of the Galaxy. The only explanation that the Iocrym will give is that humans have been quarantined until further notice because of an unspecified threat.
Sero
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 01:08 PM

Corporate Minion

Group: Co-Admin
Member No.: 8

That begs the question, though, is why haven't humans forced their way out already? I can understand maybe the Ares and Commonwealth saying "Ok", but there'd almost have to be some group determined to leave human space. It'd be kind of wierd to have only ONE person want to leave. Commercial companies would for sure wish to expand their markets...

--------------------
Begin with a function of arbitrary complexity. Feed it values,
"sense data". Then, take your result, square it, and feed it back
into your original function, adding a new set of sense data.
Continue to feed your results back into the original function ad
infinitum. What do you have? The fundamental principle of human
consciousness.
^
^ -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
^ "The Feedback Principle"
george moromisato
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 01:55 PM

Centurion-class
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sero @ Apr 11 2005, 01:08 PM)
That begs the question, though, is why haven't humans forced their way out already? I can understand maybe the Ares and Commonwealth saying "Ok", but there'd almost have to be some group determined to leave human space. It'd be kind of wierd to have only ONE person want to leave. Commercial companies would for sure wish to expand their markets...

Good point. Let me try this answer on you and see what you think:

It's true that there are a lot of people who want to leave, but most can't even get that far because of the war with the Ares. Even going past the Sung Slavers is hard for most people. And the Commonwealth/Corporations have enough room in their systems (for now).

And anyone who gets past all that still has to contend with the Iocrym (which, as you and others point out, need to be stronger in the game).

Perhaps the Ares (who are closest) should be trying to get out. That might make for some interesting encounters perhaps.

BTW: It is possible that some people/groups did make it out before the quarantine--perhaps they are trapped on the other side? [haven't thought it through]
Sero
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 01:57 PM

Corporate Minion

Yeah, assisting, or being assisted, by the Ares would make for interesting quests, perhaps. And humans on the other side would make for a good sequel...

Edit: I still feel the companies would attempt to bargain with the Ares, though. Anyone familiar with large corporations knows there's never enough customers and profits.

--------------------
consciousness.
^
fossaman
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 04:24 PM

Corporate Minion

Member No.: 13

This is great stuff, George. You make it sound like there is more than one gate that leads to the galactic core. Could this possibly be used to create a multi-way linear system? Just pick one of five gates in the first system, and then continue on that path?

--------------------
QUOTE (Frits)
It is not possible to release titanium barricades from your car window!
Crom
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 10:54 PM

Ronin-class

Group: Pilots
Member No.: 16

W ohmy.gif w.

I still haven't read everything that you've put up George, but it sounds great.

One question comes to mind though. Are Iocrym defending us from the threat or are humans(neos and the rest) the threat they're guarding against?

Actually scratch that question... Maybe you could make the in game story explain it all eventually...

(I'm betting on a Domina/Oracus uplifting humans and to eventually use us for something in the core.)

--------------------
All shall fear the dreaded Pac-Man Blaster!
Crom
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 11:12 PM

Ronin-class

Member No.: 16

George, I think that perhaps the Transcendance timeline should start counting years since the Sol system was destroyed.

It's one of those apocalyptic events that would affect all of humanity. We could keep the AS designation, and make is stand for After Sol.

Then as a memorial to our origins, humans keep marking time in years.

--------------------
All shall fear the dreaded Pac-Man Blaster!
fossaman
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 12:32 PM

Corporate Minion

How about the gate to Sol stops functioning, instead?

Actually, given the number of products that come from earth (white rice?), I think that we have to leave Sol in the game, but have it be a restricted access area. So that it could be reached from St. Katherine's stargate, but only in an unarmed ship, or something...

--------------------
QUOTE (Frits)
george moromisato
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 12:49 PM

Centurion-class
Group Icon

Right now I'm thinking of the Sol System as the present day Middle East only without the oil. In other words, it is a somewhat under-resourced tourist attraction that is neither the economic, nor political, nor military center of anything.

I can imagine having some encounters there, but probably only as a "branch" encounter.

On the other hand, it would definitely be cool to encounter the Pioneer 10 probe or something at the edge of the solar system and sell it to a Salvager for big bucks...
fossaman
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 01:18 PM

Corporate Minion

So, maybe have the Sol system have a whole bunch of hotels crammed into it? My pocketbook would appreciate it if there were ice farms in the asteroid belt too. tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Frits)
El_FluffyDragon
Posted: Apr 13 2005, 11:41 AM

Person Who Is Annoyed With Secrecy

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Just for informational purposes; I checked it out and found that the current date in AS is 176.

--------------------
El_FluffyDragon | Supreme Snorgle, Unofficial Transcendence Forum | Get Firefox!
"Part of the atmosphere of roguelike games is finding some new toy without knowing what the heck it does, and mucking around with it until it either gives you a million dollars or explodes in your face." - Jason Miao
Premier
Posted: Nov 9 2005, 02:23 AM

Space Explorer

Member No.: 95

Let me just float an idea here:

What if the Iocryn and the Ares have a secret alliance? Either the Iocrym consider the Ares to be the "most reliable" human subspecies and told them the reason of the quarantine, or the Ares have found it out themselves and approached the Iocrym with an offer. Either way, the Ares are deliberately acting as a "buffer", preventing other factions from reaching and activating the gates.
Jaha123
Posted: Nov 13 2005, 08:09 AM

CSC Antarctica

Member No.: 90

wow. that will be so freaky. If the commonwealth discovered that, they will probably either invade ares space with a massive fleet and crush them or form a pact with the ares
Sero
Posted: Nov 13 2005, 11:56 AM

Corporate Minion

Except the Commonwealth doesn't have a massive fleet, all they have is engaged with the Ares already.

Form a pact with the Ares? That'd be like the Jews forming a pact with the Nazi's and about as likely to happen.

(Assuming the Jews had a strong military, etc.)

(Edit: Uh, In WW2, I mean, obviously.)

--------------------
consciousness.
^
Jaha123
Posted: Nov 18 2005, 02:21 PM

CSC Antarctica

I thought most people in the Commonwealth thought the Ares aren't a threat.
Also, the commonwealth probably spends 1% of its income on its fleet. A lot of their equipment are leftovers from the Syrtis war. If they would just spend a little bit more of their money on their fleet, they would be a lot more powerful.
Magnus
Posted: Nov 19 2005, 08:02 AM

Zulu-class

Member No.: 31

I get the impression the modern commonwealth is fairly weak and decentralised. They haven't even managed to clear the hostiles out of St. Katherines! They seem more like a minimal regulatory administration, relying on private citizens in the militia. This can probably be attributed to the power of the corporate hierarchy, which probably takes over most government functions in its own facilities (and tacitly supports some illegal operations). The commonwealth probably doesn't have the money to build another fleet, when the Ares aren't a threat to its territories.
OddBob
Posted: Nov 19 2005, 08:17 AM

RANDOM class

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 7

Also, the commonwealth probably spends 1% of its income on its fleet. A lot of their equipment are leftovers from the Syrtis war. If they would just spend a little bit more of their money on their fleet, they would be a lot more powerful.

Think of the current financial system of any developed country in the world today. If they just spent a little more on their space program, and a little more on the military, and a little more on helping the homeless, and a little more on clearing crime out of cities, and so on and so forth, there wouldn't be enough money in the world to spend a little more on everything.

Plus, there is a lot of apathy back home in the commonwealth about the war. No news, except loved ones that die, no progress seems to be made. People have their own problems.

--------------------
--
fossaman
Posted: Nov 19 2005, 12:49 PM

Corporate Minion

Part of it is that the commonwealth's citizens are sheltered, at least from the threat of genocide. They still have to worry about the Sung, Sapiens, Anarchists, etc.

--------------------
QUOTE (Frits)
Jaha123
Posted: Nov 19 2005, 05:45 PM

CSC Antarctica

The Commonwealth is extremely weeak. And when I said spend a little more on the fleet, I meant a lot more. The Commonwealth is probably more like the EU than the US.
The Commonwealth should regularly send "agents" to steal from the Corporates.
the_holy_thom
Posted: Nov 21 2005, 10:30 AM

Maybe a little Holy

Group: Elite Pilots
Member No.: 93

what do you mean more like the EU? a more loosely governed collective of countries than a centrally controlled group of states or "extremely weeak"?

--------------------
He sounded like some insane old pervert, and thatís appropriate for all government officials.
- Boris the Cat
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Official Information | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Quick Reply Pages: (2) [1] 2 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1674 seconds | Archive