Unofficial Transcendence Forum

InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to Unofficial Transcendence Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  ( Go to first unread post )

Frequently Suggested Ideas, Targeting Docking? You don't say...
Chance
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 10:07 AM

Tripoli-class

Group: Pilots
Member No.: 349

QUOTE (Burzmali @ Feb 26 2007, 04:47 AM)
QUOTE (Chance @ Feb 25 2007, 07:29 AM)
So you're saying George wanted you to not be able to fire at certain angles?

Some people won't be happy without full motion turning, which would require a 3D engine.

In addition, more facings means that the AI would need to be rebalanced (it would torch the player far too quickly). Think about it this way, ever had a swarm of angry Zulus chasing you in Eridani? Imagine if they didn't miss.

Full motion turning doesn't require a 3D engine. You could use the same image for angles 64 to 72 (assuming 45 images).

Obviously you've never seen the fireAccuracy tag. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I am somewhere along that indistinct grey line that seperates the good from the bad.
Yugimotomanager
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 10:23 AM

High Systemlord Anubis

Group: Elite Pilots
Member No.: 196

Even just adding a couple more turning angles would help solve the problem.
Burzmali
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 11:34 AM

Centurion-class

Member No.: 86

QUOTE (Yugimotomanager @ Feb 26 2007, 10:23 AM)

Why would it? The bigger ships would still turn raggedly, and people would just want more. As has been pointed out, many times, the only true solution to the problem is full motion and that would change the game so much that George has chosen not to implement it.

It's your call, if full motion turning were introduced either you get rid of swarms, or dumb them down enough to prevent them from homing in and killing you instantly. The AI is pretty simple when it is in attack mode, it targets the player and then makes attack runs. If a swarm of fast enemy ships like hornets could set a course dead on target with the player, how would you prevent them from killing the player instantly?

--------------------
THE QIANLONG ARCHCANNON CAN ONLY BE FOUND AT A SUNG CITADEL
Chance
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 03:03 PM

Tripoli-class

QUOTE (Burzmali @ Feb 26 2007, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (Yugimotomanager @ Feb 26 2007, 10:23 AM)

Why would it? The bigger ships would still turn raggedly, and people would just want more. As has been pointed out, many times, the only true solution to the problem is full motion and that would change the game so much that George has chosen not to implement it.

It's your call, if full motion turning were introduced either you get rid of swarms, or dumb them down enough to prevent them from homing in and killing you instantly. The AI is pretty simple when it is in attack mode, it targets the player and then makes attack runs. If a swarm of fast enemy ships like hornets could set a course dead on target with the player, how would you prevent them from killing the player instantly?

The same way I do now. Let my shields take it and fend them off.

The extra turning angles will benifit the player a lot more than the AI.

--------------------
I am somewhere along that indistinct grey line that seperates the good from the bad.
Karl
Posted: Feb 26 2007, 11:36 PM

Corsair-class

Member No.: 457

QUOTE (Chance)
Full motion turning doesn't require a 3D engine. You could use the same image for angles 64 to 72 (assuming 45 images).

Ah, just what I was describing above! Excellent... excellent.

QUOTE (Yugimotomanager)
As has been pointed out, many times, the only true solution to the problem is full motion and that would change the game so much that George has chosen not to implement it.

Stop claiming that the "only" solution is full motion 3d, and you have to choose between that and doing nothing. That's a "false dilemma" logical fallacy and I'm really getting tired of hearing it. Also, you're the only person who seems to believe this.

You're like a broken record tuned to the wrong station. (And, yes, I do like mixing my metaphors!)
Burzmali
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 04:29 AM

Centurion-class

Member No.: 86

--------------------
Yugimotomanager
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 07:17 AM

High Systemlord Anubis

Group: Elite Pilots
Member No.: 196

QUOTE (Karl @ Feb 27 2007, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (Yugimotomanager)
As has been pointed out, many times, the only true solution to the problem is full motion and that would change the game so much that George has chosen not to implement it.

When did I say that? blink.gif
Chance
Posted: Feb 27 2007, 03:40 PM

Tripoli-class

QUOTE (Burzmali @ Feb 27 2007, 04:29 AM)
What can I say, I tried

George's thoughts on the matter

Comments on the issue even back in 2004

And again in reference to a bad review

George only commented on increasing the number of pictures for each ship. Also, Transcendence saves don't take up 100mbs any more. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Karl
Posted: Mar 1 2007, 07:46 PM

Corsair-class

Burz, thanks for finally finding George's thoughts on this:

QUOTE (george moromisato @ Jul 28 2005, 10:52 PM)
There are actually 20 directions (18-degrees apart) and I honestly don't have an overriding reason. Originally, I thought 20 directions would be enough (just like some people thought 640K would be enough)....

Although it would be difficult to re-render all ships to have more than 20 directions (and the game would use up much more memory), it would not be too difficult to have selected ships have more than 20 directions. In particular, I might add a different starting player ships with more than 20 directions. Or I might make all player ships have more than 20 directions.

Owned! laugh.gif

I was thinking the same thing... that you could just add more directions for the player ships only. There are so many possible ways to implement this, but that would possibly be the easiest fix.

The main drawback of that method would be that any NPC ships, if modded into playerships, would still have only 20 turning directions, but that's not a big deal, as they'd be no worse off then they are now.

...but the important thing is that this is fixable, and is not exceptionally hard to fix. Kick ass!
bien4500
Posted: Mar 9 2007, 06:55 PM

Viking-class

Member No.: 479

just ude one picture and just rotate that one like in Equnox where there is only one sprite.

create a shortcut to transcedence and in the target box type -debug outside the " thing

--------------------
I love rock!
Salvagebot 1.0
Posted: Sep 30 2007, 06:53 PM

Viking-class

Member No.: 721

I'd like an energy converter upgrade applicable to reactors that extends their usable fuels a couple of levels lower than normal.

The upgrade would apply to the reactor itself, so just like the "+Enhanced" reactors provide extra power, "+Converter" reactors would process additional fuel sources.

The "device picture" before you activated it could be the reactor picture.
The "unknown" caption might read,
"This device is a reactor part of some sort."
The "known" caption might say,
"This converter allows reactors to burn more diverse fuels."

Apologies if this is already in and I simply haven't found it yet.
Chance
Posted: Oct 10 2007, 05:16 PM

Tripoli-class

Heh. Going over this thread I can't help thinking "Told you so Burzmali!" laugh.gif

--------------------
Karl
Posted: Dec 11 2007, 02:30 PM

Corsair-class

I gather that you are referring to:

Transcendence version 0.98c:
- Player ships now have 40 rotations.
- rotationCount attribute in ship classes allows for more (or less) than 20 rotations.

***Dances***

That's still my favorite upgrade since I found the game. You gotta hand it to George. He even included backwards compatability in the turning upgrade. cool.gif ninja.gif
commando5671
  Posted: Mar 10 2010, 04:05 AM

Viking-class

Member No.: 1,320

How about Ringer (and perhaps Teraton) missions that could affect the storyline. The ability to change ships during the game(perhaps by buying/bartering/stealing) would be ideal. More ships avaiable at the start of the game would be better.
One idea I have is that you could hire wingmen or borrow ships(like a superfreighter to transport medical supplies to a CSC with an infirmery(i probably spelt that wrong). More bosses and weapons after the Iocyrm command ship. Thx guys I gotta go
Bowyn Aerrow
Posted: Apr 7 2010, 08:18 AM

Corsair-class

Member No.: 1,329

My one and only bone of contention with Transcendence is the down arrow key.

One would think that that key would put on the breaks not accelerate the vessel.

I know that the . (period) slows down, stops the vessel (in a moment or a few minutes depending on the craft) so the ability to slow down/stop is there. I just don't get why that ability is linked to the period instead of the arrow down.

commando5671
Posted: Oct 5 2010, 07:01 AM

Viking-class

Member No.: 1,320

I have some ideas they may have been mentioned already though:

More arena battles

customizeable wingmen

storage depots

more of a story line

a Ringer Arena

Ringer and Teraton missions

being able to build your own stations

having crew members

being able to take over stations
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
« Next Oldest | Suggestions and Feature Requests | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Quick Reply Pages: (3) 1 2 [3] 

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0690 seconds | Archive