Welcome!

Welcome to Sinthera, a small, young Weyr terrorized by riderless dragons that live to the North. Treachery lies in wait behind every corner. Will you join us in the war?

Important Links
IC Information

Weyrwoman
Lakiya & Zajadisth
Weyrleader
E'rik & Skepnadth
Junior Weyrwoman
Vyviaan & Azrayesth
Junior Weyrleader
TBD

Flights
Emerald Nyra
Lunar Xiomarath

Clutches
None

Hatchings
None
But there are kittens in the Weyrbowl.

Contests
None

Season
Fall
The threat of the summer rains have turned into the promise in the fall. It rains almost all the time nowadays, and slowly the rain turns from warm to cold to freezing, and at the last snow begins to sink lower from the heights of the mountains into the valleys.

Staff

You may contact the staff through the private message link in their profiles.

Admin
Wolf Tears
Mellody

Sr. Moderators
Thalia
Nai-Ru

Jr. Moderator
Hockey
Tarra

C-Box

CBox Rules

1. No Fighting or Flaming. Violators will be banned.
2. No Impersonating. Violators will banned.
3. No Advertising. Members will be warned, guests will be banned.
4. Respect Staff.
5. Keep chatspeek to a minimum or don't use it at all.

Advertise Us!

Listed At
Libertas Weyr White Sands Weyr Araelen Weyr Selenitas Weyr Mavros Weyr The Jewels of Pern Dark Moon Weyr Allride Weyr Dragon Canyon Weyr Back to the Beginning Ayden Weyr Hazrein Weyr Athaithne Weyr Carew Weyr

Credits

Site © Wolf Tears
Skin © Mellody
Side-bar © Roswenth

Create a free forum in seconds.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to The Lost Dragons. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Last Post So Sing to Me, Sing Me a Song, A song from yesterday :: OPEN
SaidalTam
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 06:13 AM

Turquoiserider

Group: Members
Member No.: 8

"C'mon, Tashi!" Pell called, gesturing over his shoulder.

Snowy blonde hair whipped the small girl's face in the rising summer winds, but she didn't even slow as she raced after the bright-eyed, brown boy running along ahead of her. Her dark eyes glittered with excitement, and her face lit up with the quiet thrill of the day.

Pell could feel it to, could taste in on the wind and smell it in dancing through the cloudless sky. It was clear, today, the first time in a week, and warm. There was food for the table, and even some money for new clothing. Tomaer had told him that morning, before he'd left. Even the somber-minded Tomaer had seemed bright, today.

Today was a day to be a child.

There hadn't even been any complaint about letting the children out to enjoy the day. In fact, Pell and Tashi had been far from the first to ask, and with the clear skies and the cheerful nature of the day, the whole lot of them were being thoroughly indulged. Pell couldn't much say why, but he didn't care, either. Tashi didn't run often enough. Neither of them did.

"C'mon, Tash!" he repeated, scrambling up the side of a pile of haphazardly formed rocks to stand at the top of the tallest one. "Lookit! Toldja!" he declared, hands on his hips, staring down at her. "Looks like a dragon, donit?"

Tashi stopped at the foot of the rock pile and furrowed her brow, looking over it and her adoptive brother for a long moment before folding her arms over her chest. "Too small," she declared after she'd finished her analysis.

Pell couldn't really argue with that. He'd seen a real dragon, once, a big ol' green, and he'd barely come up to the top of her littlest toe. Of course, that was a few turns ago. He'd probably grown since then. Still, that was no cause to go making fun of his stone dragon. Scowling, the boy sat down on the misshapen outcropping that he'd decided many turns prior was the "beast's" head. "Well, it ain't done growin', yet, is it? Just a baby dragon. They ain't all that big, are they?"

"You are too little for a dragon," she pointed out, climbing after him slowly. Tashi showed much greater care in her efforts than he did. That might be why he'd broken his arm three or four turns prior, climbing this very dragon, and she, so far as he could tell, never had done anything of the sort. Oh, well. Not everyone could be as careful as that, or nobody'd ever get anything done, would they?

"I won't be forever. Just another turn or two, I figure, and then I'll get searched and get a real dragon," he declared confidently, grinning from ear to ear.

Tashi froze, perched precariously on an awkward ledge that really destroyed the "draconic" quality of the rock, but did make it easier to climb, and blinked up at him fearfully. "Are you going to leave me?" she asked softly, and, in that instant, she looked smaller and weaker than she had in a very long time.

"Course not," Pell promised immediately. "I'll make 'em take you with me. Ain't gonna hurt nobody bringin' ya, is it? 'Sides, I said I wouldn't leave ya, didn't I? And I ain't gonna. They want me, they get you."

Tashi smiled, face lighting up, and went back to her diligent climbing, satisfied. Pell wouldn't leave her. He would never. He loved her, and she loved him, and that was what a family should be. The word still sent a shiver of delight through her, now that she understood it, and, as she pulled herself up beside him, she was content. Pell might not be her brother by the proper sense, but it didn't make them less of a family. It was enough.
Mellody
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 04:01 PM

thank.you.for.the.music.♬ :.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

S A N L I V O N
    "Sanlivon! Come here, if you're dressed up to go outside."

The boy stopped and looked toward the kitchen worker calling him over. She wasn't the nicest of them, but if she wanted to give him something to do, he wasn't going to object. He walked obediently over to her, and she didn't hesitate to dump an armload of wrapped herbs and compounds on him.

"Take these to the Hold for me. Take them in to the steward, and tell him that they're for the baited meat the Hold wants to set out against those whers. Got it?"

He nodded and turned, heading out into the bowl with his load. With the amount in his arms, he didn't think twice before going out into the stables and putting the herbs in a saddlebag over his father's mare Storm. The pale gray runner was patient enough for even a kid as small as Sanlivon, and he had taken her to the Hold before. He jumped on to her back with no saddle, and only reigns to help him guide her. She obediently walked from the stables and took up a trot on the way out of the Weyr.

Half an hour later, Sanlivon was walking Storm over to the corral fences, where he could tie her without any worry. Then, with his charge once again filling his arms, he set off for the entrance to the Hold. Only one thing caught his attention on the way. A couple of kids running past. He paused and turned to watch them run by, and felt really old, even though he could see the boy was about his own age. But he never run like that. Never laughed like that. He never really had anyone to do it with, but that wasn't really the reason. He turned from the strange glimpse of life and continued into the Hold.

"For the whers?"

Yes, sir.

"Thank you, son. Now you can go and have some fun, huh?"

Sanlivon smiled crookedly and turned to go outside. The steward smiled after him and turned to take the herbs wherever it was that stuff happened in the Hold. And Sanlivon went outside with the full intention of going home. But on the way, a word caught his attention. He pulled up short at the word 'dragon', and turned to look for the source. And there they were again. The children from earlier that had run by, the boy now standing on top of a pile of rock, and the girl below looking up. Fascinated, Sanlivon stopped and watched. These children... They looked rather ragged next to his straight-laced Weyr regalia, but they had so much more than he did. He didn't want to just stare, but he found himself unwilling to be torn away.
user posted image
Lesa
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 04:09 PM

Turquoiserider

Member No.: 20

It looked like an intricate dance- punch, duck, weave, weave back, dodge, punch, sidestep, kick, duck, elbow, thwack, whack, swish, trip. Maddex didn't spare any time to gloat over his win against the teenage Holdbrat, turning instead to his younger sister, who had fought her way free of her own captors. Seemed she'd listened to the tips he gave her after all!

"Run, Dai!" The brown haired girl ran, knowing just what he meant by such words: no dawdling, and no trying to find some place to hide. Just get away Maddex pounded right after her, calling out, "Pa!" to tell her where next to go. She changed her all out charge in direction, cutting closer to the main Hold than originally intended. The blond boy took a moment to shout out a winded, "Help! as they flew past their father where he was guarding the main gate, before taking to the hills that dotted the landscape.

The two children were safe now: Pa would surely corral the 'miscreants' that had attacked them. Yap, sure, Daija got a question right that they got wrong and won the Harper's prize over them, but all this fuss and beating up Maddex because even they knew how bad it would look to beat up an eight Turn girl just for a pan-pipe? Utterly ridiculous!

"Maddex, why dey 'urt you?" Daija asked, sitting firmly on the ground, still trying to breathe. All that running was hard on the studious eight Turn old, despite her thin build.
"Cuz they think its fun, Dai, an' they know they couldn't hurt you, but want'd yer pipes. But I warrant about to let'em hurt me." Maddex said, soothingly. Sure, his knuckles were now all bloody and his shirt had a few new holes and he might have the start of a black eye-but Daija hadn't been hurt, and hadn't needed to give up her pipes.

The eleven turn old scanned the area around them, "Hey, there's a coupla'kids playin' on the rocks, wanna join'em?" Daija nodded and stood, grabbing his hand, dark eyes bright. The two gamboled their way down to the rockpile, where Maddex, as spokesperson, called up to the other boy, "Can we play wiv'ya?" Daija let go of his hand and smiled shyly at the other girl.

The day was glorious, the weather perfect, Maddex had defended his sister against bullies, and they'd found two-no, wait, three, there was another boy a little ways away- potential friends. Life was good.
SaidalTam
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 04:26 PM

Turquoiserider

"Sure!" Pell called down to the pair, hopping off his would-be dragon's head to offer a hand up. He didn't figure the boy would need it, being about his own age, but the girl couldn't be much bigger than Tashi, and Tashi even needed help, now and then. "I'm Pell, an' that's Tashi," he added, gesturing over his shoulder to the pale-haired girl.

Tashi wasn't there.

Though nowhere near as nimble as Pell, she had managed to get reasonably agile chasing after the older boy for the past three turns, and a clamor down the side of a rock was no great challenge, especially for a chance to see a pretty grey runner up close.

Bewildered, Pell looked around until he spotted her head bobbing. "Oh. Over there. That's Tashi." For a fleeting moment, he considered going after her, but she wouldn't go far. She never did. Instead, he turned cheerfully back to their new playmates, grinning brightly. This was a day to be a kid, and he did not mean to squander the chance, especially if it meant meeting more children their own age. The girl, especially, interested him. Tashi needed more friends, and having a girl for a friend would probably do her some good. Tomaer said that she needed to play with girls, or she'd turn into a boy. "What're yer names?"

Pell had been right, too: Tashi wasn't going far. She stopped short in front of the boy on the runner, blinking up at him, then turned her attention to the pretty grey beast. There were runners in the hold, of course -- a number of them, she'd heard -- but she'd only seen them from a distance, really. She had no business playing with the Hold's runners, and she wasn't old enough to be of any help with them, anyhow. Had the creature's rider been an adult, she would never have approached, but as it was, he couldn't be much older than Pell, if at all, so it was probably okay. "Your runner is very pretty," she said softly, looking up at it. Alright, so he wasn't much older than Pell, if he was any older at all, but he was still a stranger. She couldn't trust him completely, just yet.
Mellody
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 05:05 PM

S A N L I V O N
    All it took was climbing up on the corral fence and a short jump to make it on top of Storm. She was very patient about it, though surely it wasn't quite as easy as when her boy's father got on her back. But the master was full-grown, and the boy only a foal. He would certainly get bigger, she knew. But as Sanlivon climbed around on fences and her back, she turned her attention to an even smaller one, off in the distance but approaching. A shy girl, but respectful, and a kind soul. Storm kept still as the girl approached, knowing that if she moved she could startle the little human. She was exceedingly huge, and any draft less careful could easily kill the tiny girl. It took Sanlivon only a little longer to notice their visitor. And when he did, he ducked his head and played with the hair at the base of the mare's neck.

Thank you. She's my father's mare.

Sanlivon found himself nervous, and understandably. He did actually want to make a good impression on this girl, but he had absolutely no prior experience in talking to anyone his own age. Adults, yes, but not kids. They were so different from adults, it was like they were different species. And he sometimes had trouble talking to adults. More than that, he knew his father wouldn't want him to make friends with these kids. They were holdbrats, and they had no rank whatsoever. He was the son of a bronzerider. But Sanlivon couldn't help it. At least if they were Holdbrats his father would never find out. He glanced down at her, unsure of where to look.

Do you- Do you want to meet her?

He latched on to this train of thought and turned to slide off the mare's back and land easily on the ground. Storm turned and watched him carefully, unsure of what he was doing, but she could only assume it had something to do with the little girl. Sanlivon went around to the runner's head and stroked her nose, and Storm, catching on, lowered her head for the smaller girl. Sanlivon moved his hand back to her forehead, and put the other under her neck, watching to make sure that she wouldn't startle at the girl. He bit his lip and glanced between the mare and Tashi, still unsure of where to look or what to do.

Her name is Storm. She's very nice, you don't have to worry.

He looked up again at the boy on the rocks, and could see he had been joined by two other kids, looking not quite so ragged, but also like they had come from a fight. He knew San'tia wouldn't approve of them either, but he ignored that again. His father would never know.
user posted image
Lesa
Posted: Jul 30 2009, 11:39 PM

Turquoiserider

Maddex grinned, and stepped to the side to let Daija take the boy-Pell's hand, clambering up the side of the rock pile himself-it was much easier than climbing any of the trees around the Hold, Daija was still too short for any of those without a boost up.

"I'm Maddex, an' ma sis is Daija-but call'er Dai," he hastened to add, interpreting her glare, "Only Mam calls her Daija," his lifted eyebrow back at his sister caused her to giggle. “Where ya frum, Pell? I hain’t seen ya at any’a the Harper-lessuns. S’pose there’s more than one Harper an’all, though.” Maddex thought about that for a minute-did the Hold have more than one Harper or not? He couldn’t rightly remember, all he ever saw was old Tomis, his teacher. Maybe there was another Harper or two here, it was a big Hold, after all. He should go try to find the other ones one day!

With that thought banished to the back of his mind-it was much too nice to be poking around inside the Hold, after all!-the blond turned back to his new companion. “Pell, dis is a big rock pile, how’dya find it? I’ve nevva seen it b’fore!” Maddex had come to realize he must have been exploring the wrong part of around the Hold, if he had missed this rock pile for so long-probably his own fault, since he was either training with Pa or having to make sure Daija didn’t get herself hurt.

“D’you know the kid yer sis’ talkin’t? He looks import’nt. Mebbe from da Weyr!” Maddex took out his excitement on the rock pile, using the energy to scramble to the very top, “D’ya think he’s a dragonrider?”

Daija took the moment to answer him before the new boy could-it was too obvious for her, and she was feeling abandoned. “Naw,” she said scornfully, “too little, loike us. Sides, iffen he had a dragon, he’d be ridin’it, not a runner!”

The girl’s accent was considerably more polished than her elder brother-had to be their mother’s influence, as Daija, when not with Maddex or at lessons, was always beside her well-versed lady-in-waiting Mam, rather than her beloved, but gruffer Pa. She sat on a fair outcropping of stone, trying to decide whether to go and talk to the rider and fellow girl, or stick around with her brother. Since she couldn’t get down by herself without breaking something, she stayed.
SaidalTam
Posted: Aug 1 2009, 09:34 PM

Turquoiserider

Pell grinned. "Nice ta meetcha both. Yah, my sister 'n I -- that's her, there -- we live with my brother, Tomaer. He doan make much, though, so we're kinda poor, ya know?" He shrugged. Probably, he should have been ashamed of it. Tomaer seemed to be. It had never really bothered him, though. That's just how it was, wasn't it? "We do alright."

Swiftly, he clamored back up the side of his "dragon", then grinned brightly at them. "Ya like it? It's my dragon! I'mma have a real one, some day, but fer now, I got him. He's been here ferever. Just, he's all trapped up in rock. I figure, some day, he'll break outta the rock, like baby ones break outta shells, an' then he'll be a big ol' bronze."

Pell glanced over at Tashi, then shrugged. "Tash doan talk much. Prolly do 'er some good. I doan know 'im, but mebe Tash does. Yah, prolly from the Weyr," he agreed after a moment, then let it go. Tashi could talk to the boy all she wanted. It really probably would do her some good. Pell didn't mind, either. He was, however, going to keep an eye on them. Tashi was his responsibility. He had to take care of her and keep her safe, and he was going to make sure he did. If that meant spying on his own sister... well, it wasn't really spying, was it? She knew he was there...

Tashi had tilted her head curiously at the runner, approaching with the inquisitive caution of a child who'd never been close to such a large beast, before, but nevertheless laid a hand gently on Storm's nose. Almost immediately, a smile broke across her features, and she petted the mare lightly. "She is very soft," Tashi observed quietly, looking up at the older boy.

He seemed nervous. It wasn't any one thing that told her, so much as many small things: the way he bit his lip, the restlessness of his gaze, the faint undercurrent of controlled fidgeting to his manner. Curiously, she glanced over her shoulder toward Pell and the other children, then turned back to face the boy curiously. "My name is Tashi," she told him, in an effort to put him at ease. "The boy with brown hair is my brother, Pelladrin." She hesitated for a moment, but then decided that, if the boy was nervous, then he probably wasn't a threat, and, in fact, could probably use a little encouragement. "What is your name?" she prompted softly.
Mellody
Posted: Aug 2 2009, 01:12 AM

S A N L I V O N
    At last he found something to settle his eyes on: the three over on the rocks. They were clearly talking about him, or about the little girl. They were looking toward them, in any case, and he heard the word 'Weyr' several times. The boys seemed to be going on on a talking match to see who could relate all their knowledge first, while the other girl crouched on the edge of the rock pile, watching them more closely. He figured she must be shy, and didn't want to come and introduce herself to someone that looked so clearly out of place as himself. He felt overdressed standing here in his outdoor boots and his clean wardrobe. These kids all looked respectably dirty. His father would be mad if he came home with his clothes in such a state.

He was brought back to the here and now as Tashi spoke, and he looked down to see one of her tiny hands on Storm's large nose. He smiled and stroked the mare's forehead as the runner stayed obediently still, and just gently getting a scent of the little girl in front of her. She went on talking, this time introducing herself, and her brother. Tashi and Pelladrin. The fact that they didn't look much like each other didn't faze him at all. He was a weyrbrat; most siblings shared only their mothers or their fathers. Clearly they were in a similar situation. Not that he was well-versed in such family matters. He only had his father.

My name is Sanlivon. I'm from the Weyr, delivering plant stuff to the Steward.

His eyes flicked back to the other kids atop their 'dragon', catching the word bronze. Clearly the boy - Pelladrin, Tashi had said - had claimed the rock as his bronze dragon. And he'd not been very close to a bronze dragon before. Sanlivon mused briefly that he could fix that, but quickly put the thought from his head. San'tia would never allow that. He was pushing it already. But he didn't much care. He wanted to meet these kids. See if he really was one of them.

Do you know those other two? The other girl and the blond boy?
user posted image
Lesa
Posted: Aug 2 2009, 11:46 PM

Turquoiserider

Daija sighed, bored at the boys' nattering on about the rockpile. It was a rockpile, clearly not a bronze dragon...and bronze dragons always hatched from eggs, not rock piles. Maybe the other girl and the Weyr-boy would be nice to talk to? And, if she scooted to the right, she might actually be able to climb her way back down....Ow! Daija hissed at her latest injury, a long scrape up the back of her leg, there had been a jagged edge to the stone she hadn't noticed.

Gamely she climbed on, slithering down a smoother piece until her feet were steady on the ground. One step, two steps closer to the pair and runner, then...her clumsiness caught up to her again. Shar-I'm not supposed to say that, Daija thought to herself, even as she rolled for a good meter down the slight incline. Her final stop was rough, but contained no additional injuries.
"I'm aroight!" she called back to the dragon-rock, knowing Maddex was preparing to scramble down to help her up. She could get up fine herself-the scrape wasn't even bleeding, and though she was now grass-stained, she was over all fine. Now she just had to get over to the girl, runner and boy-rider.

--

"Iffen ya wan', I'm sure Mam'll be happy t'mend yer clothes or summat," Maddex offered, then realized his mistake-it might be seen as rude, and added hastily, "she makes roight tasty cookies too."

Maddex watched as Daija began her downward climb, "Tha's aw'sum! Bronze drag'ns're sharding sweet! Wish I'ad a drag'n, course, we gotta git Seached firs'." Maddex didn't offer his own want-not for a dragon of bronze, but one like that night-dark, star-spotted feral dragon people talked about in whispers. His eyes widened as Daija tumbled down the incline, but stopped his ready-to-move body at her call up, "I'm aroight!" He sighed when she stood and began to march in the direction of Tashi and the runner-Weyr-boy.

He had to laugh as she stumbled her way towards the other pair, "Yap, Dai's nawt much ov a talka eith'r. Kin make t'other talk, mebbe. An'talkin't someone asides us is problay good fer'em. Y'wanna go talk too, or jus'watch'em?"
SaidalTam
Posted: Aug 4 2009, 04:44 PM

Turquoiserider

Tashi glanced back at Maddox and Daija, furrowing her brow in an effort to identify them. It didn't take long, however, for her to discern that she couldn't, and she shook her head, turning back to Sanlivon. "No," she replied, patting the mare's nose gently. "I am sure Pelladrin will introduce us, though. Would you like to meet him? You could play with us for a while, before you go back to the Weyr."

What sort of games did Weyr children play, anyhow? Perhaps she or Pelladrin could talk him into telling them. Pelladrin was better with most children than she was. Most of them didn't know what to make of her. Then again, Sanlivon didn't seem much like most of the children she knew. Maybe Weyr children didn't play the way Hold children did. Of course, children always played, so she supposed that didn't make much sense, did it?

Shaking it off with a quick flick of her head back toward the rocks, she turned to Sanlivon and smiled. "Come on. I bet you could climb as well as Pell does. Have you ever seen a real dragon up close, before?" She reached out to grab Sanlivon's sleeve, then, and walk him over to the rest of them as she spoke. If he'd seen a dragon for real -- and being from the Weyr, he probably had -- then Pell would have a hundred questions for him.

Pell grinned, watching his sister with the boy. "She'll bring 'im over. Sides, I like it here." She never strayed far from him for long. That's just how it was. It wasn't that she was afraid -- he'd found her alone, outside the Hold, three full turns ago. 'Fear' wasn't in the girl's vocabulary, so far as he'd been able to tell. It was just that she knew how much he worried, and anyway, he was her brother, by rights. He was supposed to take care of her.

Pausing, he glanced over at Maddox and added, "Tomaer sews pretty good. It's nice of you t' offer, but I ain't gonna put yer mum out over sewin' stuff Tomaer kin fix 'isself." There was a pause in his speech as a slow smile crawled over his face. "I wouldn' say no t' cookies, though." And no child would. He hadn't had cookies in a fair while. Tomaer didn't bake them very well, and anyway, that stuff was expensive. They didn't need it. It just wasn't something they could afford often. There was, however, no point in saying that.
Mellody
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 10:39 PM

S A N L I V O N
    Sanlivon watched with curiosity as the other girl climbed down the rocks, falling on occasion but still getting up and going on. She looked similar to Tashi, with her dark hair and eyes, but possibly a bit older and looking rather like there was some similar genetics between him and her. Tashi was clearly more like the other boys. But again, his loose familial background at the Weyr made her differences to the unnamed blond trivial. They still took the part of siblings in his head.

Tashi admitted to not knowing either, and he turned his attention back down to her as she went on, his focus immediately on the word 'play'. Play with them? It was what he had wanted. Or wanted to try. He glanced back up at the other boys, a bit hesitant now at the chance presented. But even as he looked up, he knew he felt the same. He wouldn't be frightened off by kids his own age or younger. He nodded absently, his eyes still up on the rock dragon. She apparently took this as permission and took hold of his arm to pull him over to her brother. He startled at first, but then found his footing and let go of Storm's head to be led away. The runner wuffled, but otherwise just lifted her head to watch. Apparently they weren't leaving yet.

A real dragon? Yes...

He hesitated before admitting that he had, but figured it to be a safe enough admittance. Probably all the Weyrbrats had had some contact with dragons. Of course, that probably meant that he was now going to be questioned excessively about them, but dragons were a subject he knew something about, which was something. At least they would have something to talk about. He looked up at the other boys as Tashi continued to pull him along, not sure whether to be scared or curious. He ended up just settling for nervous, and let his eyes travel down to the other dark-haired girl. He offered up a hesitant smile.
user posted image
NightSong
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 11:20 PM

Remember, police rarely think it's as funny as you do.

Member No.: 10

Laughter.

That was the first thing that shattered the silence of the day, even more so when the click of rocks outside the hollow tree he'd been sleeping in for the past two sevendays roused him. There were hold children outside. Odd. He hadn't seen other young people since the rumors of the great strange dragons carrying them off. Their parents had a tendacy to house them within the walls. Without hesitation, the naked child reached for his clothes and bow, slipping it soundly over his shoulders after his quiver, and moving silent as night out of the hole. Bare feet gripped the bark, and the child's rough hands followed one after another as he made his way from the space he slept to the branches above. There was one in particular that he wound towards, ears and eyes sharp for cries of discovery, but when none came, he dropped easily onto the heavy limb and crawled forward, staring through the summer leaves at the collection of youth, and one runner. The stones were their playground it seemed, and his eyes narrowed to take in each. The two boys, one on runnerback, and the other near the stones seemed closest to his age. There were girls too, but he ignored them for the time being.

The boy on runner back looked uncomfortable, as though he was facing trouble for even being there. The other... he was obviously a hold child with overly grand dreams of bronzes and the like. Little fool. Tynan only barely held himself back from spitting bitterly. He was lucky he had food, much less hoping for the rarest dream a boy could expect. A third boy was near the rocks seemed no threat, scrambling after a girl who had stumbled... The last child he noted though, caught his total attention. The youngest, or so he imagined, was talking to the runner-boy with rapt bright eyes. Immediatly, Tynan shrank back into the leaves a bit more, staring. She would see him, if no one else did. That one had the eyes of a feline.

Mildly agitated, but totally curious, the boy crept in silence just an inch forward again, to better see the scene laid before him.
Lesa
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 12:18 AM

Turquoiserider

"Awroight, she says she wuz gonna make a whole bunch tanoight. Yer Tomaer kin come too-'e yer bruther, t'en?" Maddex's attention was drawn not from any reason he could understand, to the trees down near where Daija was getting towards the Weyr-boy and Tashi. There was something in one, that much he had figured out. Too much shaking-and the forest was too quiet, no chirping or anything. Pa had taught him to pay attention to the birds-the Guard that didn't found themselves dead, after all.

What was it? A rider and runner in the bracken below? Or something...else? He banished his first thought of one of those Feral Dragons-there was no way any dragon would be able to hide in the trees like that. A wher, though. That'un could hide in trees. Hmm. What to do? Calling out might be too much of an over-protective sibling thing to do...but Maddex was an over protective sibling. So it wasn't that unexpected.
But still...an idea came to him.
"Pell, there's summat in t'trees, big 'nough fer birds t'be scaird," he whispered, "an I dun wanna scair it, cuz Pa said one day t'the famibly that there wuz a boy an'is Pa who wuz Shunned; told me t'watch fer them. Ya ready to run'er fight iffen I'm wrong er I'm roight? Cuz iffen I'm wrong then it's loikely a wher, an they're gonna need help."

--

Daija looked at the boy as the pair approached her. "Ello. I'm Daija. It's noice t'meetcha." She delivered a sunny grin, "An'yer runner's pretty." She turned to Tashi, turned out she wasn't quite as bad at this talking-to-others thing as she had thought, "The boy up there says yer Tashi. Owcome I've nevva seen ya?" The last the girl hadn't even realized she said out loud-and that was her largest problem when talking to others, speaking when she thought she was only thinking.
zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now

Weyr Affiliates
Libertas Weyr White Sands Weyr Araelen Weyr Selenitas Weyr Mavros Weyr The Jewels of Pern Dark Moon Weyr Allride Weyr Dragon Canyon Weyr Back to the Beginning Ayden Weyr Hazrein Weyr Athaithne Weyr Carew Weyr

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0376 seconds · Archive