InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.

Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Welcome to //TGS. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Was Nebuchadnezzar Saved?
danrahk31
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 02:52 PM

Fisher of Men

Group: Assistant Admin
Member No.: 59

My question is whether Nebuchadnezzar - the king of Babylon, one of the most wicked men on earth, the one who ransacked Jerusalem and carried Judah off into captivity - was saved. I get this question from reading Daniel 4. Read the whole thing for context, but here's what struck me:
QUOTE (Daniel 4:34)
At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
      His dominion is an eternal dominion;
      his kingdom endures from generation to generation.

This makes me think of Numbers 21:4-9 where Moses lifts up the bronze snake and anyone who looked up at it was saved from the venomous snakes. Also, Jesus applied this story to Himself in John 3:14-15 while He's talking to Nicodemus. Anyone who looks up to Jesus will be saved.

Now, of course this is all just speculation. We have no indication in Scripture one way or another. But I think it's an interesting possibility. It also brings up the question of whether there were Gentiles saved before Christ.

Any thoughts to liven this place up a little?

--------------------
The image in my avatar is a picture from the Hubble Telescope of an "X" structure in the core of the Whirlpool Galaxy 15 million light years away. Looks strangely similar to a cross. Is God trying to get our attention?

תַלְמִיד יֵשׁוּעַ הַמָּשִׁיחַ בֶּן־אֱלהִים חַיִּים
Lewanuva2003
Posted: Oct 20 2009, 07:56 PM

Group: SUPER MODERATOR POWER!
Member No.: 60

Gentiles could be saved because remember that foreigners could become Jews/follow their practices. As for Nebuchadnezzar, there's only one real way to figure that out: find out how he acted after the events of chapter 4.

--------------------
Daniel/M/24
danrahk31
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 03:42 PM

Fisher of Men

Group: Assistant Admin
Member No.: 59

Unfortunately, we aren't really given those details. As for gentiles, yes, we know of people like Ruth for instance who put themselves under the Torah. I don't think Nebuchadnezzar would have been one of those people. But during OT times, was it possible to turn and worship God without the Law? Of course it would all be by Jesus, but do you think there were gentiles saved without following the Torah?

Part of me says yes and the other part no. I'm not really sure.

--------------------
The image in my avatar is a picture from the Hubble Telescope of an "X" structure in the core of the Whirlpool Galaxy 15 million light years away. Looks strangely similar to a cross. Is God trying to get our attention?

תַלְמִיד יֵשׁוּעַ הַמָּשִׁיחַ בֶּן־אֱלהִים חַיִּים
Lewanuva2003
Posted: Oct 23 2009, 07:28 PM

There are probably sources where we could find that out. If Gentiles were saved then I think it would have had to be by the law because it hadn't been fulfilled yet. It may have been possible to worship Him but I don't know if He would have accepted it because part of the worship required specific sacrifices for sin. Now remembering that the law was specific to the Israelites might affect this view greatly so I'm not entirely sure.

--------------------
Daniel/M/24
Darth Vader
Posted: Oct 28 2009, 01:00 PM

Every lament is a lovesong.

Group: Adminians
Member No.: 58

Salvation has always been offered through faith in God's sacrifice. The Law has never saved anyone. The sacrifices did not forgive sins. It was the people's faith in God's promise of salvation through sacrifice that brought salvation. The sacrifice system of the OT was a shadow of what God had planned and promised in the person of Jesus. The OT looks forward to the Cross, the NT post-Gospel looks back to it.

--------------------
user posted image
peace by way of war is like purity by way of fornication
itís like telling someone murder is wrong
and then showing them by way of execution
Lewanuva2003
Posted: Nov 5 2009, 01:01 PM

No one disputes that. We know you're right about the cross. But at the time we're talking about then the Law helped. But I wasn't even talking about that. Nebuchadnezzar was asked/charged/etc by Daniel to bring justice and stop the oppression of the poor. If he did that then it would show that he learned from his experiences in Daniel 4.

I should also mention that though we are not bound by that law, Jesus commands us a ton of things in the same area, both that we would be saved and that we be rewarded when then kingdom fully comes. They're all for our benefit but they're still commands that He call us to obey to show Him we love Him. They all have to do with loving each other, seeking justice for necessary actions, feeding the hungry, and freeing the oppressed. I believe the same was asked of Nebuchadnezzar and charged of him as well as honouring God above all other gods and it was why he was out of his mind for as long as he was.

--------------------
Daniel/M/24
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic Options

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Archive