InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
InvisionFree gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

2012 Olympics-Women's Football
Merengue
Posted: Jul 3 2012, 09:06 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

To make the discussions flow more easily, I am opening up a new thread for discussion of women's football at the London Olympics. The current thread for Olympic football will remain and will be used to discuss the men's tournament.

The draw for the women's tournament:

Group E

Great Britain, Cameroon, New Zealand, Brazil

Group F

Japan, Sweden, South Africa, Canada

Group G

USA, France, Colombia, Korea DPR

Group F looks the toughest on paper. One big surprise is the absence of Germany, a traditional women's football power, from this competition.

--------------------
shelsoccer
Posted: Jul 3 2012, 11:47 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

I agree that Group F is the toughest on paper. However, Group G could turn interesting. It depends on what the mysterious N. Koreans have to offer.
hobbes
Posted: Jul 3 2012, 07:20 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28

To answer John’s question in the other Olympics thread, I think no one really knows how to gauge expectations for this Canadian team.

Expectations were sky high for the World Cup. And the team talked big talk about going to win it. And then they bombed.

And after they bombed the sober second thought was that they had only ever beaten a team ranked ahead of them once in any competition ever.

I like Herdsman a lot. I think the team is playing well. The recent win over China, a pretty decent 2-1 loss to the U.S. are cause for optimism. But everyone seems cautious.

They’re talking about aiming for a medal, but Sinclair was very frank about the fact that they have never elevated their play when it counted and if they don’t do that here they won’t medal.

I think the pressure is diminished greatly because it’s the Olympics. There’s a lot of athletes to take some of the focus off.

Right now all of the Olympic talk is about Perdita Felicien and Priscilla Lopes-Schliep failing to qualify for the Games (both were medal hopefulls). I didn’t even see highlights of the U.S. game shown anywhere.

Alexandre Despatie, Mary Spencer, Adam van Koeverden, Clara Hughes and Ryder Hesjedal are in the ad campaigns and stealing headlines. There’s a chance Sinclair might carry the flag in the opening ceremonies, but even still the women’s team is not as big news for the Olympics as they were last summer.

I don’t think there’s the hype or the expectations there were for the World Cup when they went in as CONCACAF champs and played the opening game against Germany in front of a huge crowd.

Hopefully that helps.

Given that eight teams advance from the 12 the difficulty of the groups may be kind of moot. Japan and Sweden are tough, but hopefully three points against South Africa gets Canada to the quarters at least. I can see them doing better than that, but it’s a pretty forgiving format.

I think Group G is pretty balanced. I think Colombia isn't bad and North Korea could be tricky too. I don't expect either to challenge the U.S., but that talented French team will need to be on top of their game every time out if they want to go through in second.

cheers,
hobbes

--------------------
“Und ich habe der Mannschaft gesagt: ‘Wer sich nicht bewegt, kann nicht mal gegen Kanada gewinnen!’” - Joachim Löw
Johnbuildr
Posted: Jul 10 2012, 01:51 PM

Advanced member

Member No.: 2

A belated thanks for the terrific run down hobbes. I am looking forward to the women's tournament a lot. It has taken me a few years to really get in the groove of enjoying the women's game, but these Olympics should be very entertaining.

--------------------
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

shelsoccer
Posted: Jul 10 2012, 04:27 PM

Advanced Member

The big news today is that Hope Solo, US keeper, tested positive for a banned substance (a diuretic). It was part of a doctor-prescribed, pre-mentsrual medication. It was inadvertant, and she will play in the Olympics.

I in no way support the use of performance enhancing drugs, but I often wonder how easy it is to avoid inadvertant use. The list of PEDs is lengthy. Do you really understand what's on the label? Does your doctor?
Martin
Posted: Jul 10 2012, 06:36 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

I in no way support the use of performance enhancing drugs, but I often wonder how easy it is to avoid inadvertant use. The list of PEDs is lengthy. Do you really understand what's on the label? Does your doctor?

Obviously Solo's doctor did not! The drug she inadvertenly took is not a performance enhancing one which combined with her inadvertenly taking it is why she is not being punished. A sane decision.

--------------------
Johnbuildr
Posted: Jul 11 2012, 12:03 PM

Advanced member

Member No.: 2

A sane and a very critical decision for the US.

Losing her would have been a horrific psychological loss to the US team, not to mention the more obvious on field loss of the person considered to be the top goal keeper in the women's game by many. Whew!

--------------------
Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

hobbes
Posted: Jul 12 2012, 12:44 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28

I'm sure there's no room for common sense, but a friend from high school went to the Winter Olympics in Turin and performed inconsistently. It turned out after the fact that she'd been sick for nearly the whole Olympics and couldn't do anything about it. If you have the flu or even a head cold, you just can't medicate because the rules are so strict.

Glad Solo is in. She might be the best women's keeper I've ever seen and I'm looking forward to seeing her play.

cheers,
hobbes

--------------------
“Und ich habe der Mannschaft gesagt: ‘Wer sich nicht bewegt, kann nicht mal gegen Kanada gewinnen!’” - Joachim Löw
alabastergremlin
Posted: Jul 12 2012, 01:00 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (Johnbuildr @ Jul 11 2012, 12:03 PM)
A sane and a very critical decision for the US.

Losing her would have been a horrific psychological loss to the US team, not to mention the more obvious on field loss of the person considered to be the top goal keeper in the women's game by many. Whew!

What is Scurry doing nowadays?

Haha.
Rufus T. Firefly
Posted: Jul 12 2012, 04:01 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 211

I have heard the same thing before hobbes, Olympic athletes have to be extra careful that any over the counter medication they take does not contain a banned drug. And most cold medicines contain a form of ephedrine, which is a banned substance which explains why your friend struggled so much with her cold during the Games.

The cynic in me also thinks, apart from common sense, ratings were also behind just warning Hope Solo. Obviously she will be one of the female faces of US TV's Olympics coverage, one of the few household names going into the Games.
Sammy Maudlin
Posted: Jul 16 2012, 09:29 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Hope Solo on sex & booze at the Olympics.

Why am I feeling like Benny Hill reading this? biggrin.gif
shelsoccer
Posted: Jul 16 2012, 09:30 AM

Advanced Member

Why weren't we invited to the party, Sammy?
Sammy Maudlin
Posted: Jul 16 2012, 09:53 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

QUOTE (shelsoccer @ Jul 16 2012, 09:30 AM)
Why weren't we invited to the party, Sammy?

haha, how true, I guess we should have been in Beijing shel. Hmm, maybe I should now plan a trip to London in the next few weeks? wink.gif
raconteur
Posted: Jul 18 2012, 03:51 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 81

Grant Wahl's Preview of Women's Football for London 2012, like his men's preview it is geared towards a US audience but as always with Wahl it is a well written piece.

I did not realize Germany is not present at the tourney because UEFA uses the team's finish at the previous Women's World Cup as it's qualifying basis. With Germany being eliminated in the quarterfinals, by surprise winners Japan and with Sweden and France , each a semifinalist, as UEFA's top two finishers at the last WWC, those two nations and hosts Great Britain are UEFA's participants in this Olympic tourney. As Wahl notes, for some reason the women's Olympic tournament only has 12 participants.

Also note this desciption of North Korea's participation,

North Korea is a group with the U.S. for the fifth time at an Olympics or World Cup going back to 1999, but there are questions over whether the North Koreans should even be involved. After several North Korean players tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs at last year's World Cup, FIFA banned North Korea from the 2015 World Cup. But that ban does not apply to the Olympics, so the team will be involved. You might also recall that the North Korean coach blamed his team's loss to the U.S. last year on a pre-tournament lightning strike that hit some of his players

Hmm, I thought a FIFA ban would also apply to the Olympics as it is each sport's organizing body, in football's case FIFA, who are responsible for orchestrating each Olympic sport.
Yogi
Posted: Jul 25 2012, 11:13 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

And the games have begun! France started great against the US going 2-0 in front after 14 minutes but the US battled back, tied it at the half and eventually won 4-2. Good comeback but some defensive work will need to be improved before the knockout stages.

Great Britain edged New Zealand 1-0 while World Cup champion Japan defeated Canada 2-1.

As I write this Brazil are 2-0 in front of Cameroon and Sweden 3-0 up on South Africa in the 2nd half. Colombia-North Korea will be played later today.
« Next Oldest | Olympics | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0869 seconds | Archive