Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (23) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

2012 MLS General Discussion
Yogi
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 10:45 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Marquez got a 3 game suspension. Sounds about right to me.

Interesting to read about Rincon joining Portland. MLS is old enough now where the league is starting to get the sons of players who either like Teal Bunbury's father once played in MLS or like Rincon's dad were around at the same time but playing elsewhere. Nice to see that legacy start developing.

Sporting Kansas City won again, this time they started a 2 game Northwest roadtrip with a 3-1 win in Vancouver. This weekend tey play in Portland which always is a tough place to win so it should be another test of SKC's early season resiliency. Aurelien Collin and Kei Kamara, familiar goascorers for Sporting this season, were last night again among their scorers.
Martin
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 04:09 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Don Garber has said that when, and it now appears inevitable, goal line technology is approved in July, MLS will start using it, likely becoming the first league in the world to employ the new technology. Smart move.

Rincon's and Valencia's sons with Portland and their fathers' teammate in 1994, Luis Perea also had a son who was briefly with Dallas in preseason but did not make the club's final roster.

Chivas USA signed another teenaged Colombia forward, Jose Erick Correa who is currently with Boyaca Chico in Colombia. Correa is supposed to be a very good prospect and even was recently selected by Colombia's national team coach Jose Pekerman for some midweek training camps for home based players. So Chivas, who are getting good play from Ecuadoran midfielder Oswaldo Minda, may have signed an unheralded gem.

--------------------
shelsoccer
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 04:12 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

I actually thought last night's SKC game was the first they've been out-played in or, at least, seriously stretched for long periods. That was the kind of game last year, especially early, when they might have folded. Exhibit A would be last year's visit to Vancouver when SKC blew a 3-0 lead and ended up with a 3-3 draw.
raconteur
Posted: Apr 20 2012, 01:16 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 81

A sign of resilience then shelsoccer, if Sporting KC were pushed midweek but still emerged victorious by 2 goals. Now they head to portland. All of the weekend's calendar of games, including national TV appearances:

April 21
Toronto FC vs. Chicago, 3:30 pm (NBC SN)
Columbus vs. Houston, 7:30 pm
Colorado vs. Los Angeles, 9 pm
Vancouver vs. FC Dallas, 10 pm
Portland vs. Sporting KC, 10:30 pm
Chivas USA vs. Philadelphia, 10:30 pm
San Jose vs. Real Salt Lake, 10:30 pm

April 22
D.C. United vs. New York, 6 pm (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes)

Times are EDT

Besides Portland-Sporting Kansas City, looks like San Jose-Real Salt Lake will be a game to watch. But San Jose will be without the injured Shea Salinas and the suspended Marvin Chavez.

Yogi
Posted: Apr 21 2012, 10:07 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

It had to end sooner or later, and a Chance Meyers own goal gave Portland a 1-0 win over Sporting Kansas City, ending Sporting's unbeaten streak to start the season.

Real Salt Lake played since the 30th minute down a man after Fabian Espindola was sent off vs San Jose and they played since min. 69 with 9 after Jamison Olave was sent off. San Jose won 3-1 scoring all 3 goals in added time, one at the end of the first half which RSL equalized, then 2 more goals at the very end of the game, one scored by Simon Dawkins, the other by the ubiquitous Chris Wondolowski.

Freddy Adu's heal scored the game winner as Philadelphia beat Chivas USA 1-0, Vancouver defeated FC Dallas by the same score, Houston drew 2-2 away to Columbus and Josh Saunders made a save from an Omar Cummings Pk in added time as Los Angeles beat Colorado 2-1.
Dr. Z
Posted: Apr 22 2012, 08:53 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

New York lost their first few games without Rafael Marquez, he comes back and the team goes on a winning streak. He starts his 3 game suspension this weekend and without him New York loses 4-1 to DC United. Coincidence? I think not.

--------------------
Poniendo el pecho a las balas!
Roosevelt
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 04:38 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

While I don't think it's a 'coincidence', I think the truly appalling Red Bulls defense is also due, at least in part, to the absences of Tainio and Conde, not just Marquez. But really, all three, in my mind, go to the larger point that NY are counting on a bunch of guys who, whatever they do bring to the field, are hard to describe as 'reliable' at this point in their careers because of (pick at least one) age, injuries or repeatedly getting suspended. Strangely, the rookie GK, Meara, has played pretty decently, I think, but he's certainly been thrown into the deep end of the pool. Despite the very positive (and to me, surprising) play of Kenny Cooper, I'm still not seeing a particularly successful season in New Jersey.

It's great to see that Chris Pontius has recovered from his injury in such fine fashion. And his first-year team mate Nick DeLeon appears to be the real deal as well. Ben Olsen has DC United looking up. Also have to give a quick shout out to the first-place [!] San Jose Earthquakes. I'm not penciling them in for MLS Cup 2012 just yet, but between the stadium announcement and their play so far this season, good times for MLS in the Bay Area.

--------------------
Anyone who can watch a film of Pelé dummying the goalkeeper in the Mexico World Cup or Muhammad Ali beating Foreman in Zaire or see Said Aouita breaking the world record for the ten thousand metres or whatever it was—anyone who can watch those things without tears in their eyes, without being moved in the same way as they are by a work of art is a philistine—there’s no other word for them.
Sammy Maudlin
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 05:40 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I agree with Roosevelt on New York's defensive shortcomings, San Jose's surprising start and DC's Nick DeLeon who is the early leader in the rookie of the year sweepstakes.

A story on the continued troubles at winless Toronto, the bottom line, poor ownership and conflicting factions within the club's power structure, a coach (Winter) whose philosophy completely differs from the GM (Mariner) viewpoints.
shelsoccer
Posted: Apr 23 2012, 09:52 AM

Advanced Member

So, who's the first MLS coach to get the axe this season?
Roosevelt
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 06:16 AM

Advanced Member

Unless Chivas are more willing to replace Robin Fraser than I think they are, are there really any obvious candidates besides Aron Winter? Hans Backe, I suppose, or even Robert Warzycha or Nowak in Philly, but I don't think anyone's in as tenuous position as Winter is. And while the emphasis on getting rid of the coach is almost always about the team's performance, there's another part of the equation. Some sports teams [the kind you hope aren't a fan of] seem to give less thought to changing coaches/managers than many women do about getting a new hairstyle. Toronto has existed in a state of perpetual disarray, and despite my preseason optimism, nothing seems to have changed. Especially given the apparent discord between Mariner and Winter, if AW isn't the first manager axed this season, I'll be amazed.

--------------------
Anyone who can watch a film of Pelé dummying the goalkeeper in the Mexico World Cup or Muhammad Ali beating Foreman in Zaire or see Said Aouita breaking the world record for the ten thousand metres or whatever it was—anyone who can watch those things without tears in their eyes, without being moved in the same way as they are by a work of art is a philistine—there’s no other word for them.
shelsoccer
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 11:20 AM

Advanced Member

I agree, Roosevelt, that Winter is likely the first to go. I also think Bakke is on thin ice. Beyond that, I don't see a likely candidate at this point. The Hunts (now Clark Hunt) are historically slow to fire, so I think Warzycha is safe for now. I can't see Nowak getting the axe yet.

One guy I do wonder about is Klopas. Moving from techinical director to coach last season and off to a mediocre start this season may raise questions, but I don't really have a grip on Chicago's ownership.
raconteur
Posted: Apr 24 2012, 09:38 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 81

Include me with those saying Winter is the top candidate with Bakke as number 2 to get the ax first. Fraser I think is pretty secure at Chivas USA and although winless at home, they are doing pretty well on the road and the club have new leadership who I think will stick with Chivas USA's current coach. Nowak I think also is safe as they know he is taking Philly through a youth transformation.
Rufus T. Firefly
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 01:02 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 211

I concur with the view that Winter and Backe are 1 and 2 in the sweepstakes to be the first coach fired.

One who does not appear on that track is Ben Olsen at DC United. This is an article on the ever growing depth at DC United and how the play of Nick DeLeon, Danny Cruz and Joe Willis has prevented Chris Pontius, Andy Najar and Bill Hamid from regaining their starting jobs. Najar and Hamid lost their starting jobs while they were away at the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament.

And curiously DC are doing well this season even with last year's MVP Dwayne DeRosario yet to score a goal this season and the club's two designated players, Boskovic and Salahi barely contributing.
Sammy Maudlin
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 07:41 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Maicon Santos has been an inspired acquisition for DC United, he scored twice and has 5 goals on the season as DC United beat Houston 3-2. Dwayne DeRosario finally got his first goal of the season while Will Bruin scored both of Houston's goals as the Dynamo only have 1 more game left on their prolonged road trip before they open their new stadium in 2 weeks time.

Eddie Johnson is finally healthy and scored his 1st goal and the surprising David Estrada got his 5th of the season before Chicago scored a late goal to make it close in Seattle's 2-1 win in the Windy City. Thierry Henry got his league leading 9th goal in New York's 1-0 win over New England but also injured his hamstring and will miss the next month of play.

Montreal won at home, defeating Portland 2-0 with Bernardo Corradi getting one of their goals. Lee Young Pyo's free kick gave Vancouver a 1-0 win over Columbus, Kamani Hill scored 2 goals as Colorado blew Chivas USA away 4-0, Jonny Steele's added time goal enabled Real Salt Lake to keep Toronto winless with a 3-2 victory and Steven Lenhart came off the bench and scored 2 goals, the final in added time as San Jose won 2-1 at Philadelphia. The E-Quakes are unbeaten this season on the road.
Roosevelt
Posted: Apr 29 2012, 11:11 AM

Advanced Member

After watching Santos bounce around the league to no great success, it's hard to know whether his signing was truly inspired or just damn lucky, but either way, he's certainly been a key part of United's revival. I have o say, though, when you look at the whole team and realize that their top 11 in minutes-played so far this season does not include either of the imported DPs (Salihi and Boskovic) or Pontius, Najar or Bill Hamid, even if one predicted DC's fast start, I'm not sure it was with the team on the field in mind.

In a similar vein, everyone who had Kamani Hill, Robbie Keane and Kris Boyd all even on goals scored going into May, raise your hand! laugh.gif Poor Timbers, though. I;m not sure what exactly ails them, but even more disappointing than Toronto so far, in some ways. I hope they get it together.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | MLS | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (23) « First ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0462 seconds | Archive