zIFBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.

Learn More · Register for Free
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (42) « First ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

La Liga 2011-12
Sporting
Posted: May 2 2012, 12:40 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Well, life in the second division isn't too bad. The good thing is that Sporting are not hugely in debt and so won't face some of the common problems of clubs going down. What they do need is to get rid of Clemente as soon as possible and appoint someone who likes attacking football. Even if promotion isn't immediately achieved, this is what Gijón supporters want.

Looks like Oviedo are set to miss out on the play-offs from Segunda B to the second division. I think this is a pity, personally; the prospect of real derby games again would have been a great stimulant for both cities.
blue for you
Posted: May 2 2012, 01:44 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

Barcelona won 4-1 messi hat-trick, Real Madrid have la liga in the bag biggrin.gif 3 nil up
10 minutes left, CR7 missed another pen but scored from play
Merengue
Posted: May 2 2012, 06:29 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

iCAMPEONES!

A superb way to win the championship as Real Madrid went to Bilbao and dominated Athletic, eventually winning 3-0. It could have been even more as Ronaldo missed a PK when it was still 0-0. A great goal by Higuain to open the scoring, after some nice combination work, a 2nd by Ozil after a pinpoint low cross to the far post by Ronaldo and the third headed in by Ronaldo off a corner. Madrid played with a lot of energy (something missing versus Bayern because of the clasico played days before?) and they pressured Athletic into some unaccustomed mistakes. But it was a grand way to assure the title, a deserved one for Madrid who only lost twice this season in league play (away to Levante and home to Barcelona) and who have been unbeaten since the turn of the year.

Earlier Barcelona crushed Malaga 4-1 at the Nou Camp with Messi scoring 3 goals, two of them by penalties. That gives Messi an incredible 46 league goals, 2 more than Ronaldo who has 44.

Valencia's Jekyll and Hyde personality reappeared as they hammered Osasuna 4-0 to again move alone back into 3rd place after Malaga lost. Zaragoza remain alive after they beat Levante, Betis' Beñat scored his 2nd goal on a fre ekick deep into injury time to give betis a 2-1 win over Sevilla in their derby and Carlos Vela again proved late heroics as Real Sociedad pulled out a 1-1 tie with Atletico Madrid. Mallorca's late season surge continued as they defeated Rayo 1-0 and moved into 7th place, only 1 point out of a European finish!

--------------------
gaviota
Posted: May 3 2012, 12:43 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 77

I too am extremely happy about last night's win for Real Madrid. A great strike by Gonzalo Higuain to open the scoring as he keeps on proving his worth to the team. As far as I am concerned Madrid need to keep both Higuain and Benzema, each scored more than 20 goals this season and combined with Ronaldo became the first trio from the same club who each exceeded 20+ goals in a season. Higuain and Benzema each add different aspects to Madrid's attack and will both be needed as Madrid seeks next season to win it's 10th European championship, which in my mind should be next season's priority. But for now I am happy to be celebrating the club's 32nd league title and to see them end Barcelona's 3 year reign as league champions.

Merengue already pointed out how consistent Madrid have been all season, losing only twice and none since the start of 2012. Apart from the record number of goals scored it is that consistency which has marked this as such a wonderful season. And in addition to ending Barcelona's reign as champions, Madrid also ended it's own losing streak to Barca at the Nou Camp when they won last month 2-1. This has been a great season for Real Madrid and it appropriately ends with this league championship.

iHALA MADRID!

I am sorry for our poster Sporting that his club now appear to be doomed to relegation but as he rightly points out there is reason to be optimistic they can fight their way back up to La Primera, hopefully after they have discarded Javier Clemente, the new guarantor of relegation!

On the topic of relegation, Villarreal's win helps them in their bid to avoid the drop but another club, who are in a horrible losing streak, Rayo Vallecano, are now in danger. With Zaragoza winning last night, they, as the last club in the relegation zone trail Rayo by only 3 points and Villarreal by 4. Rayo thought they were safe about a month ago but they have suddenly gone into a tail spin and can not seem to get out of it.

--------------------
Sí, sí, sí, la Décima ya está aquí
raconteur
Posted: May 3 2012, 01:29 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 81

Congrats to our Real Madrid fans here, their club deserved the title as not only where they the most consistent team in Spain throughout the season they also finally ended their own nightmare against Barcelona by winning at Barcelona last month in the league.

What is there for an encore? As gaviota commented, the Champions League, that has to be Real Madrid's primary goal next season.
Don Balon
Posted: May 3 2012, 02:08 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 95

Felicidades to our madridistas on their club's league title. With two games left and Madrid on 94 points they can now aim for the record of 99 points obtained in one season which was done by Barcelona in 2010.

Attention now turns to the ever close race for European places and the fight for the last relegation spot. I am sorry my Real Oviedo will not be promoted to the Segunda next season as it would be nice to play the Asturian derby with Sporting but sadly Oviedo continue to struggle in the 3rd level of Spansh futbol.

Valencia's win and Levante's defeat yesterday mean Valencia are guaranteed a top four finish but they still want to assure themselves a top three finish and a guaranteed spot in next season's Champions League.

Mallorca have really made a great late season push and with Atlético Madrid possibly focused on next week's Europa League Final, it is possible Mallorca could overtake them for 6th place and the final Europa League spot for next season. This Saturday Atlético Madrid host Málaga in a battle between clubs fighting for Europe while Mallorca are home to Levante in another prime match of clubs trying to make European plans for next season.

And on the opposite end of the table Rayo's free fall does put them in danger, especially with Zaragoza showing signs of life. This weekend Rayo have to play at Sevilla, a team still with something to play for while Zaragoza are home to already relegated Racing.
Dr. Z
Posted: May 3 2012, 02:28 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 70

Rayo hit the 40 pointmark and thought they were then safe as 40 points usually is the point total where clubs can feel safe. but they have fallen apart these past few weeks and momentum is definitely not on their side. It will be interesting to see how they handle this situation as their earlier free flowing style of play ahs suddenly not brought them results.

As a Barcelona fan it hurts me to say this but congratulations Real Madrid, they were the best club in the league this year. But look out next season for a hopefully healthier Barcelona. I expect Vilanova to employ many of the same tactics as now used. Plus getting Villa, Pedro and Afellay healthy will also be a big boost.

--------------------
Poniendo el pecho a las balas!
ursus arctos
Posted: May 3 2012, 02:47 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 135

Like Dr. Z, it is never easy for my cule heart to say this, but congratulations to Madrid for an outstanding season. Notwithstanding all the nonsense in the Catalan press, they are very worthy winners.

And I must admit that it is easier for me to say this here than in any other forum, given that our local Madridistas are all emblematic representatives of the very best traditions of that great club, traditions that the current administration often observe in the breach.

I trust that no one let Sergio Ramos hold the trophy this time.
Merengue
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:11 AM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I appreciate the congratulations from other clubs fans here. That is an aspect I am very proud of on this message board- there is mutual respect towards other posters. Thanks again.

And this time Sergio Ramos, dare I say a more sober Sergio Ramos, did not drop the championship trophy! biggrin.gif

The penultimate round of league matches, all being played simultaneously (one of the few times the LFP actually gets it right!),

Saturday, May 5 (GMT)
Athletic Bilbao v Getafe (1900)
Atletico Madrid v Malaga (1900)
Barcelona v Espanyol (1900)
Granada CF v Real Madrid (1900)
Osasuna v Real Sociedad (1900)
Real Mallorca v Levante (1900)
Real Zaragoza v Racing Santander (1900)
Sevilla v Rayo Vallecano (1900)
Sporting Gijon v Real Betis (1900)
Valencia v Villarreal (1900)

Don Balon has already set out above so much that is still at stake in these final two matches, certainly there is still much to play for even if the top two and bottom two are already determined.

This is how the league table currently appears,

1 R. Madrid 94
2 Barcelona 87
3 Valencia 58
4 Málaga 55
5 Levante 52
6 Atlético 50
7 Mallorca 49
8 Athletic 48
9 Osasuna 48
10 Getafe 46
11 Betis 46
12 Sevilla 46
13 Espanyol 45
14 R. Sociedad 44
15 Granada 42
16 Villarreal 41
17 Rayo 40
18 Zaragoza 37
19 Sporting 34
20 Racing 27

There will be plenty of anxious moments this week and next for the clubs involved in the remaining European and relegation avoidance disputes.

--------------------
Pique
Posted: May 4 2012, 11:33 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6

What does everyone think of Guardiola's comments where he first praised Real Madrid for winning the championship then stuck it to them by saying, "a lot of things have happened this season which have been hidden by our silence" implying that Madrid have been helped to the title by 'outside forces.' He then said Madrid were being thin skinned if they misinterpreted that as an insult.

Personally I think Guardiola who has conducted himself with dignity throughout his time as coach could have handled this better.

Anyway this weekend is his final home match, the local derby against Espanyol, a time for the fans to say goodbye to the greatest manager in the club's history.

--------------------
Esas son las leyendas de futbol mexicano,
En todo Mexico hay un Chiva hermano!
ursus arctos
Posted: May 4 2012, 01:07 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 135

Pique, I agree.

It was out of character with Pep's usual class, but I took as yet another indication that his taking a break right now is the best thing for him and the club.
robdog
  Posted: May 4 2012, 08:26 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Hector @ May 2 2012, 12:13 AM)
Sevilla still can make Europe so there is a lot at stake from our end, protecting Pepe Mel's daughter's honour seems all Betis have to play for! biggrin.gif

Well we know who the Best team is in Sevilla right wink.gif Lo Siento Hector it isn't Sevilla FC...It's Los VerdiBlancos, but you already knew that wink.gif

--------------------
Martin
Posted: May 4 2012, 09:03 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (ursus arctos @ May 4 2012, 01:07 PM)
Pique, I agree.

It was out of character with Pep's usual class, but I took as yet another indication that his taking a break right now is the best thing for him and the club.

I think you are right ursus. The normally unflappable Guardiola is showing signs of strain, time for him to take a respite. It should be an interesting summer in Barcelona to see what changes are coming besides the new coach.

I guess my disgust at some of the antics of both Florentino and Mourinho cut down on my excitement of Real Madrid winning the league title, I did not celebrate this title win as vigorously as I did in 2007 and 2008, nevertheless it still is a good feeling seeing your club lift the trophy. And yes thankfully this year Sergio Ramos did not drop it! Madrid have spent a lot of money in building this team, this title win is not the end but should be the beginning of more titles to come, the investment outlayed demands it.

Mallorca have made a late season push to qualify for Europe while Rayo have gone in a free fall and are in danger still of being relegated. Yet the two clubs are only separated by 9 points! That is 3 wins, all it takes apparently in this unbalanced league to move from relegation candidates to European contenders.

--------------------
robdog
  Posted: May 5 2012, 10:31 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Martin @ May 4 2012, 10:03 PM)
Mallorca have made a late season push to qualify for Europe while Rayo have gone in a free fall and are in danger still of being relegated. Yet the two clubs are only separated by 9 points! That is 3 wins, all it takes apparently in this unbalanced league to move from relegation candidates to European contenders.

IMHO parity would be a better word. Teams are very solid & tight after top 2 or 3 teams. Remember when Betis went down...they had 42 points...Most leagues 40 points are enough for safety

--------------------
Martin
Posted: May 5 2012, 05:11 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

What an incredible day! The results from the penultimate round of play:

Mallorca 1 - 0 Levante
Osasuna 1 - 0 Real Sociedad
Zaragoza 2 - 1 Racing de Santander
Atlético de Madrid 2 - 1 Málaga
Sporting 2 - 1 Betis
FC Barcelona 4 - 0 Espanyol
Sevilla 5 - 2 Rayo Vallecano
Valencia 1 - 0 Villarreal
Granada CF 1 - 2 Real Madrid
Athletic Club 0 - 0 Getafe

The highlights:

-Lionel Messi scores 4 goals giving him an incredible 50 for the season! Yes that figure is correct, 50 goals in 37 matches. Barcelona send Guardiola out in style with a 4-0 win over rivals Espanyol;

-Real Madrid are still on target to earn a record 100 points in a season after they beat Granada 2-1. Terrible luck for Granada, who played a great game before falling apart late, first they committe a stupid penalty then in injury time scored a wretched own goal. The defeat means Granada is still not safe from relegation;

-Valencia assures themselves 3rd place with a win over Villarreal. the latter, like Granada are still not safe either;

-Atletico Madrid with a great 2nd half beat Malaga 2-1 and have a chance to qualify for the Champions League on the final day, or with the right combo of results not even make Europe next season!

-Rayo's free fall continues as they lost 5-2 at Sevilla in Frederic Kanoute's last game at the Sanchez Pizjuan;

-Both Sporting and Zaragoza, especially the latter, are still alive going into the final day after each won on Saturday.

After the dust has cleared this is what remains:

Real Madrid are champions, Barcelona 2nd and Valencia 3rd, each will participate in next season's Champions League. Malaga, Atletico Madrid and Levante are still disputing the 4th and final Champions League place. Those three plus Mallorca and Osasuna are also involved in the fight for the two Europa League places.

Racing is still the only relegated club. Two from Sporting, Zaragoza, Rayo, Villarreal or Granada will join them in going down. Granada and Rayo by the way meet on the final day and all the clubs in the relegation fight, except Sporting, still control their fate, win and they are saved. Sporting, however, also needs help in addition to a win to save themselves.

robdog is right, this is the effect parity below the top two has had on the Spanish league. It means next Sunday, the final match day of the season will be an especially dramatic one.

--------------------
« Next Oldest | Spain | Next Newest »
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you

Topic OptionsPages: (42) « First ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... Last »

Hosted for free by zIFBoards* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.0903 seconds | Archive