Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Welcome to Soccer Futbol Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Name:   Password:

Pages: (7) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )

US U-20's (R)
garbaggio
Posted: Mar 30 2007, 07:10 AM

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Ferrari played for Sampdoria as a late sub in a Coppa Italia game against Inter in a game that wound up on Telemundo. As I recall the score was tied when he came on but the series was pretty much settled because Inter had won the 1st leg 3-0. That may may have been his only appearance with the senior team so far.

I watched most of the US-Haiti game on US Soccer's webcast (a 2 1/2" X 4" inch window on my PC screen) the other night. I missed about the first 10 or 15 minutes of each half, but from what I saw, the US looked pretty good. The game's flow was helped by the fact that neither team was bunkering (unlike the Guatemalan Nats would do an hour later on the same field).

The US attacking players looked good and seemed to combine with each other well but didn't finish very well. Ferrari looked good and took on defenders and knocked in a ball in the goalmouth to win the game in stoppage time. But he also had a bad backpass that caught the US defense flatfooted and sprung Haiti's Eliphin on a footrace where he beat Seitz for Haiti's goal.

Freddy Adu was the best player overall and won the PK that opened the score early in the 2nd half. Robbie Rogers and Sal Zizzo both looked pretty good outside (nice crosses from Zizzo) yet also both managed to badly miss shots when they found themselves in front of goal. Rogers missed a point blank attempt after a cross from Altidore was either dummied or slightly redirected by Rossi. Zizzo's embarassing moment was when he blasted a shot from outside the area that was so inaccurate it may have gone out for a throw-in. But the main thing was both players looked good on the flanks.

The winning goal in stoppage time was nothing spectacular but it did cross the line. Someone (maybe late sub Blake Wagner?) made a cross from the left to Dax McCarty at the far post and he nodded back across goal for Ferrari to bundle in.

It was hard to clearly identify many of the players on such a tiny screen but the US moved the ball well, players supported each other, made good runs and seemed to have a good understanding of what their teammates were trying to do.
rosarino
Posted: Mar 31 2007, 10:24 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5

I watched that Coppa Italia game where Ferrari entered as a late sub. Andres Cantor didn't mention anything about him being a US citizen but Telemundo's new policy is if it isn't Mexican it doesn't matter. Cantor kisses so much Mexican ass on Telemundo's broadcasts his nose must smell like jalapenos now!

Back to Ferrari it is good that Rongen is giving him a chance with the U-20 team. He seems like an interesting prospect and I'll be curious to see if he gets any playing time with Sampdoria in what remains of the season. If not with the first team does Ferrari play with Sampdoria's youth or reserve team?

I was also gladdened (is that a word?) by garbaggio's description of Adu being the best player on the field in this latest U-20 game. He's being given the keys to run Salt Lake and that should give him more confidence.
Pique
Posted: Mar 31 2007, 11:15 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6

I watched that Coppa Italia game where Ferrari entered as a late sub. Andres Cantor didn't mention anything about him being a US citizen but Telemundo's new policy is if it isn't Mexican it doesn't matter. Cantor kisses so much Mexican ass on Telemundo's broadcasts his nose must smell like jalapenos now!

laugh.gif

Pretty good one rosarino, but it is all because of demographics. Telemundo knows what gets them ratings. Cantor does get on your nerves though no matter where you are from. Norberto Longo could keep Cantor's huge ego contained but since Longo's death, Cantor's arrogance has just increased. I can't stand listening to him.

Sorry for the side track on the topic here. My question is if the US plays with a forward and two wingers like they did in qualifying, can Adu then be effective as an attacking midfielder? Seems to me the wingers would have to do a lof of defensive work. But if Adu is given a chance he has the passing and dribbling skills few, if any, US players have ever possessed. His growing into the role as the U-20 team's playmaker will be fascinating to track.

--------------------
Esas son las leyendas de futbol mexicano,
En todo Mexico hay un Chiva hermano!
Roosevelt
Posted: Jun 16 2007, 11:37 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22

Don't know if this should be a seperate thread (though it's probably easier for Merengue to split rather than merge, so please do so if you wish) but Rongen has named his roster for Canada.

Goalkeepers

Perk, Brian UCLA
Sandbo, Steve SMU
Seitz, Chris Salt Lake (USA)

Defenders

Beltran, Tony UCLA
Igwe, Amaechi New England Revolution (USA)
Sarkodie, Ofori Indiana University
Sturgis, Nathan Los Angeles Galaxy (USA)
Valentin, Julian Wake Forest
Ward, Tim Columbus Crew (USA)

Midfielders

Adu, Freddy Salt Lake (USA)
Arguez, Bryan DC United (USA)
Bradley, Michael SC Heerenveen (Holland)
McCarty, Dax FC Dallas (USA)
Szetela, Danny Columbus Crew (USA)
Wallace, Anthony FC Dallas (USA)

Forwards

Akpan, Andre Harvard University
Altidore, Josmer New York (USA)
Ferrari, Gabriel Sampdoria (Italy)
Rogers, Robbie Columbus Crew (USA)
Smith, Johann Bolton Wanderers (England)
Zizzo, Sal UCLA

--------------------
Another day in June, we'll pick eleven for football
We're playing for our lives, the referee gives us f**k-all

shelsoccer
Posted: Jun 17 2007, 09:07 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 63

USSF release made a big deal about how this team has more pros (13) than any previous U-20 roster. But, how many of those 13 are seeing significant first-team minutes?
Martin
Posted: Jun 18 2007, 09:15 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

QUOTE (shelsoccer @ Jun 17 2007, 09:07 AM)
USSF release made a big deal about how this team has more pros (13) than any previous U-20 roster. But, how many of those 13 are seeing significant first-team minutes?

Very good point shelsoccer. Off the top of my head I can think of Adu, Altidore and McCarty as regular starters with their professional clubs and Bradley and Sturgis as top reserves who see a significant amount of minutes. Then of course you have the recent addition of Bradley now becoming a regular with the senior national team too.

I always enjoy watching the U-20 World Cup but in a summer with the Gold Cup and Copa America it is taking a backseat, at least in my attention but it should be interesting to see what the US can do with this group of players.

--------------------
shelsoccer
Posted: Jun 18 2007, 11:33 AM

Advanced Member

At least in the last two KC-NY games, BA hasn't started Josy. Why, I'm not sure.

Ward and Rogers got starts in Columbus' game at NE this weekend, but I think consistent minutes have been few and far between for these two.

Another thing that worries me about this team is its lack of height, particularly in the back. They're also in a very tough group, if I remember correctly.

I'd like to think this team can make some noise, playing close to home and all. I just don't have a lot of confidence that this roster is going to get in done, nor do I have a lot of confidence in Rongen.

Hope I'm wrong.
Bullwinkle
Posted: Jun 18 2007, 12:11 PM

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (shelsoccer @ Jun 17 2007, 09:07 AM)

Sturgis and Adu are the only full-time starters.

Guys who get regular pro minutes:
Seitz
Ward
Bradley
McCarty
Altidore
Ferrari
Rogers
Smith

I think you're right to be concerned about height in the back, though both Sarkodie and Sturgis (the presumptive starters) are tough as nails and smart to boot. Much good may it do them if they run up against another Graziani Pelle buzzsaw, though.

Even though I like some of the players here I still don't hold out much hope for this team. Of course, a frontline pair of Ferrari and Altidore is nothing to sniff at on the U-20 level, so perhaps we're in for a pleasant surprise.
enganche
Posted: Jun 20 2007, 12:19 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4

This U-20 World Cup will be Freddy Adu's chance to show a world audience he is ready to move to a European team. He certainly should be motivated but where does he play on this US U-20 team, behind the two strikers or out on the left?

--------------------
Prefiero morir de pie que vivir arrodillado
hobbes
Posted: Jun 23 2007, 11:50 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28

US beat Chile today 2-1 in the Meadowlands in a U20 tune up.

Some very strong US performances in a feisty, somewhat ill-tempered game.

Chile will be without standout striker Sanchez and sweeper Martinez for the U20 opener and so they started the first half without them and Godoy. I thought Chile was the better team early, but were impatient. Their passing and movement was giving them space against a very good US midfield, but as soon as they looked to have options going forward, they hit balls over the top and bypassed Vidangossy.

The US opened the scoring when Altidore took a long ball, turned Suarez and then drew Isla the sweeper over before cutting it back to Adu who had time and took a touch before beating Toselli the Chilean keeper.

The Chileans made a lot of changes in the second half and though they added Sanchez (who was dangerous) they were second best the rest of the way. Robbie Rogers capped a MOTM performance (IMO) with a great shot as he blew one by Tosseli after taking the ball on the left. Adu hit a backwards flick header that went off the bar a minute later.

Sanchez scored on a PK (Sturgis with the foul, though I really couldn't tell how valid the call was on the small streaming video) as he literally dribbled it up the middle past Seitz. At the centre circle one of the Americans said something to him and he shrugged and 'stubbed' his toe into the turf. But I don't think he mis-hit it because of the FieldTurf, I think he knew what he was doing.

Which leads to the other point this Chilean team really tried to intimidate the US. Vidal, their hard man in the middle punched the ball out of a US player's hands after he picked it up for a throw in about five mins in. Any time a US player wasn't retreating fast enough, a Chilean gave him a forceful two-handed push. I couldn't decide if they were a bunch of loose cannons or if they were cagey professionals in complete control and pushing the line on a ref who didn't punish them (though he threw cards out like crazy later). They also went down easy a couple of times.

I wonder how they and Canada cope with the spotlight on them in front of a full BMO Field house on Canada Day. The style of officiating could be very important.

Will Johnson going head-to-head with Vidal (who is an excellent player, if not a first rate punk) will be interesting.

I was really impressed with Rogers. I thought Dax McCarthy played really well and I have no idea how Danny Szetla doesn't play more for the Crew. Throw Bradley in there (and I thought he had a fabulous first half v Canada and his old man did him a disservice, by not taking him out about 15 minutes before he was sent off. You could see the match was getting away from him a bit and he was running around too much).

I don't see Adu internationally much and I'm really not sure how much progress he's made. I look forward to seeing him in the tournament when it counts to really judge his progress, but I didn't think he was any better than Vidangossy. I thought Altidore was solid and Smith gave them troubles with his speed down the right flank. How fast is Smith? I'm not sure how I want you to quantify that, but I couldn't tell if he was beating Suarez because Suarez was succeptible to pace or if Smith is just damn fast.

With Canada using Jaime Peters down that flank, that looked to be their weakest link.

I've read that Chile feel they have a legitimate shot at winning. I wouldn't say that they don't, but I think they fall into the same category as the US as a darkhorse favourite who look like a solid QF team, but have flaws and question marks that the favourites don't seem to have. They looked good, but beatable on the day.

cheers,
hobbes

--------------------
Und ich habe der Mannschaft gesagt: Wer sich nicht bewegt, kann nicht mal gegen Kanada gewinnen! - Joachim Lw
Martin
Posted: Jun 24 2007, 10:27 AM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Thanks for the rundown on the game Hobbes. Both Sanchez, a forward and defender Vidal are on Chile's senior team but they asked off the Copa America team so they could compete in the U-20 World Cup. I believe that both Colo Colo players have been sold and Vidal is headed to Bayer Leverkusen and Sanchez to Udinese. Vidangossy is also off to Europe to play for Villarreal I believe.

After all the publicity I think most are very curious to see how Freddy Adu will handle the pressure of this tournament. I'd like to follow up on enganche's post here and ask you where Adu plays on this U-20 team?

As for tournament favorites I think there are Argentina and Brazil then there's everybody else. Although Mexico's U-20 team led by Dos Santos and Vela making the jump up from the U-17 World Cup winners also will be a team to watch.

--------------------
hobbes
Posted: Jun 24 2007, 01:51 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Martin @ Jun 24 2007, 10:27 AM)
After all the publicity I think most are very curious to see how Freddy Adu will handle the pressure of this tournament. I'd like to follow up on enganche's post here and ask you where Adu plays on this U-20 team?

To answer Enganche's question, a little of both.

Adu lined up as the left forward in a 4-3-3, with Altidore up top and Smith more on the right (I'm pretty sure, at times it was hard to tell them apart). Smith went down the right flank and tried to beat the leftback, but Adu rarely if ever did that on the left, he was tracking back more and cutting more into the middle and it was Robbie Rogers who was getting deep down the left. He had pretty free reign and was active.

Martin you are correct on all of the Chilean transfers and those are definitely the big three for them.

I rate Brazil, Argentina and Spain as the three favourites with a real expectation to win this.

Chile, South Korea, US, Mexico and Portugal are I think darkhorse favourites who will be looking to get a SF spot, but have some question marks.

After that I figure Canada, Czechs, Scotland and any of the African teams have the potential to go deep, but are likely doing well to make the QFs.

Montreal's Olympic Stadium has just had a problem (and anyone who knows anything about the Big O this comes as no surprise). Their real grass on a tray system failed FIFA inspection and so they're going to install FieldTurf (a Montreal company) at the 11th hour at a big cost. Which is only fitting for a stadium that cost $1.47 Billion dollars to build.

cheers,
hobbes

--------------------
Und ich habe der Mannschaft gesagt: Wer sich nicht bewegt, kann nicht mal gegen Kanada gewinnen! - Joachim Lw
shelsoccer
Posted: Jul 4 2007, 11:48 AM

Advanced Member

Results implied ...

Anybody watching? Comments on how bad/lucky the US apparently was in their tie vs. S. Korea and then their demolition of Poland?
robdog
  Posted: Jul 4 2007, 12:02 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (shelsoccer @ Jul 4 2007, 12:48 PM)
Anybody watching?  Comments on how bad/lucky the US apparently was in their tie vs. S. Korea and then their demolition of Poland?

I think you need to give ROK credit. They played their butts off. Maybe they ran out of gas vs. Brazil. Also, Brazil was ready to get some payback. Unfortunately for ROK it was them. Then the Yanks turned it up a bit vs. Poland. Great performance, but can they keep it up??? Can the Yanks do this vs. Argentina or Mexico??? I guess you will need to follow this tourney a bit closer now. If you get a chance, checkout the right side of the US's formation. I like what I see from Beltran & Zizzo. These guyz are unsung heroes for the US. The first goal for the US was a cross from Beltran. The next two I believe came from awesome runs by Zizzo. Here is a link if you want to check them out.

--------------------
Zinfandel
Posted: Jul 4 2007, 05:54 PM

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (shelsoccer @ Jul 4 2007, 11:48 AM)
Results implied ...

Anybody watching?  Comments on how bad/lucky the US apparently was in their tie vs. S. Korea and then their demolition of Poland?

Didn't see the S. Korea game, but did just watch the US beat a very physical Polish team by an astounding 6-1.

Adu played forward alongside Altidore. Szetela and Bradley played behind them. Zizzo on the right wing was an eye-opener with his quick movements and solid passes

Freddie has three in this game, including two of the best finishes we have ever seen from a US national. The first was a shot taken from the right corner of the box. It was a curling masterpiece into the far side of the goal giving the keeper zero chance.

I was as much excited by his second, albeit an easier chance. He received a ball, from Zizzo I think, that was pulled back from the end line to Freddie at the top fo the box. He turned and fired a curling shot from eighteen yards into the side netting. How many chances of this caliber have we seen Donovan, Dempsey and Johnson miss? Freddies' finish on this one was clinically perfect.

His third goal was not without skill as he broke past the backline, around the keeper deep into the box from the left and scored from a tight angle.

By the way, this is the same Polish team that beat Brazil the other night. Still, we do have to play Brazil, but with four points and a big goal difference, we could easily go through as one of the top placed third place teams.

As was stated above, it is still too early to get giddy about our chances, but this was a game to thrill the heart. Poland, as they proved earlier, are not chopped liver.
« Next Oldest | College/Youth | Next Newest »
InvisionFree - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now

Topic OptionsPages: (7) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »

Hosted for free by InvisionFree* (Terms of Use: Updated 2/10/2010) | Powered by Invision Power Board v1.3 Final © 2003 IPS, Inc.
Page creation time: 0.1643 seconds | Archive